AVS Forum banner

Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread

642K views 6K replies 563 participants last post by  nathan_h 
#1 · (Edited)
Leave here your impressions and questions about this projector.

There was no official owners thread so i started one.

I just sold my sony hw55es and bought the JVC rs400.

I realy like the 2d and 3d from this new JVC..

#4 ·
Hey John, could you expand on the difference between the sony and the jvc I have 6030 and am thinking about getting the 400, regards Chris.

Hello there,

The difference is cleary visable in the bigger contrast and better deep blacks on the jvc

Also the 3d is a big improvement over the sony,far less ghosting and brighter..

The only downside is that there is more lag in gaming on the JVC.

For the rest a great upgrade from the sony hw55es.

#3 ·
I am also looking at this PJ.....its the x550 up here in the great white north. I currently have an HD750 and its time to upgrade. Does anyone know if the my chief mout will fit the new PJ or will I need a new adaptor bracket?

I am curious as to how much of a difference I will see in pic quality. I have a 96x54 screen.

Thanks

#6 ·
Oh, and if any current owner's want to post their calibrated settings, that would be awesome!

#8 ·
I want to upgrade from my RS49u but I will wait a little & see how you guys like the 400. I dont like giving up my deep black levels. If the black levels is on par with this PJ it will be a instant buy for me.

#9 ·
Hey, Nexgen, I live in Waxhaw, just down the road from Charlotte. Once I get my RS400 up and running, you're welcome to come over to take a look.

#10 · (Edited)
I've done a head-to-head comparison between the 500 (750) and the 400 (550) -- I own them both so I don't think I bring any bias to the table (well maybe a little since the 500 cost a fair chunk of change more).

In our opinion (with a forum guest attending) the 400 is pretty much the 500 without the 500's black floor, which seems to only be an advantage in fade scenes. In other words the 400 hangs in there with its big brother in all the various scenes we threw at it -- both 2D and 3D. I lived with the 400 for a few weeks before my 500 arrived so I knew the 500 was in for a rough ride. The 500 is an amazing projector so where does that leave the 400? An even more amazing projector since it doesn't have the 500's specs or price. Now, this was with 1080p material, which is what we'll mostly be watching for some time I believe. I don't think you guys are going to be disappointed.

My guest, who has a long history setting up, repairing and rebuilding CRT projectors, and currently has what used to be my Sony G90 (I gave it to him) said the following: "The JVC's are sharper, brighter and have all the contrast of the best CRTs" (my feelings exactly). He asked me how the image could get any better. No doubt it will but for now I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.

#12 ·
This is incredibly encouraging to read. I've always been a guy that has had to settle for the basic model and make it last......hence why I've been watching a HD350 for the past 7 years! I was thinking this year may be the time that I finally upgrade, but was dismayed when the basic model took a step backwards in contrast spec whilst the higher models moved forward.

My fear was that taking a demo and watching for instance The Dark Knight, the 400 would look greyish on the darkest scenes compared to a really solid near black on the next model up. Also that general contrast in all scenes would suffer in comparison, but it seems like that is not the case.

I suppose the reports of the higher end models being 'brutal contrast monsters' apply to the 400 now aswell!

I guess even on a total fade to black, with its higher native contrast and dynamic iris, the 400 should destroy my current pj (brightness matched of course).

#13 ·
Any 400 owner having a"Drop Corner" i.e. the right bottom corner of the projected image is slightly lower than the left corner
The top end of the image is perfectly ok

#14 ·
This is usually a result of the projector not being perfectly aligned with the screen. I think it has to be shifted left and tilted a bit up to fix.

Reactions: billqs and john2910
#16 ·
I think the RS400 is the up till now "unsung hero" of this year's JVC lineup. It brings major new brightness, while keeping really good native contrast (40k to one) and better uniformity and stability by keeping the same light engine from the very successful line up last year. It is also terrific for 3D viewing and is HDMI2.0 and HDCP 2.2 so that you can view UHD Blu-ray.

The new light engine and panels from the RS500/600 are extremely promising, (but as with any new advance there are some issues that need to be worked through) and you do miss a few important features such as a P3 filter to reproduce DCI colorspace, but the RS400 is an unbelievable bargain at this price level.

Reactions: nucky and DavidHir
#24 ·
Are you asking me? If so, no, I never said that. It's definitely a good performing iris and feels like a multi-generation improved up implementation. But it still needs a little refinement in my opinion, but in general I doubt most would have complaints. The Sony 1100ES, except in dark scenes (it can close too much), performs better imo. I'd say the best DI I've ever seen was in the Sony HW30ES and HW50ES (same implementation if I'm not mistaken).

#35 ·
My RS400 was delivered Friday and I will be installing it this coming Tuesday.

Can anyone post some of their calibrated settings to give me a good starting point?

Thanks!

Reactions: BobbyDigital76
#38 ·
Random RS-400U questions

I'm just getting back into HT after a long hiatus -- the kids took over the family room for their gaming and electronics projects, but now they have headed off to college. The room is now completely light-controlled, so I think the new JVC's with higher brightness would be a good fit for me. I would probably go with the RS400, it sounds like a great value, and I don't spend enough time watching movies to justify the 500 or 600.

I have three random questions, wondering if anybody with experience has suggestions:

1: The pro.jvc.com website says that they have B-Stock DLA-RS400U's available thru dealers ... is this something that AVS would sell? Is it a good idea to get a B-Stock unit for such a recently-released projector? I don't plan to use the projector more than 5 hours a week, but I would hope that it will last me at least 3 or 4 years.

2: I understand that the high input lag would disqualify the JVC for gaming, but does it also cause any lip-sync issues? Can you see that lag when watching Movies or TV?

3: My wife asked that the new projector be easier to use than the old one (an Optoma with no discrete IR codes for Power On / Power Off). I think it's time to invest in a new remote as well; is there anything I should be aware of as far as controlling the JVC's go? I saw that they publish a doc with many discrete IR codes, so I'm hoping it will be much easier to set up macros for an RS-400U

thanks in advance,
Jedi Mike

#40 ·
I'm just getting back into HT after a long hiatus -- the kids took over the family room for their gaming and electronics projects, but now they have headed off to college. The room is now completely light-controlled, so I think the new JVC's with higher brightness would be a good fit for me. I would probably go with the RS400, it sounds like a great value, and I don't spend enough time watching movies to justify the 500 or 600.

I have three random questions, wondering if anybody with experience has suggestions:

1: The pro.jvc.com website says that they have B-Stock DLA-RS400U's available thru dealers ... is this something that AVS would sell? Is it a good idea to get a B-Stock unit for such a recently-released projector? I don't plan to use the projector more than 5 hours a week, but I would hope that it will last me at least 3 or 4 years.

2: I understand that the high input lag would disqualify the JVC for gaming, but does it also cause any lip-sync issues? Can you see that lag when watching Movies or TV?

3: My wife asked that the new projector be easier to use than the old one (an Optoma with no discrete IR codes for Power On / Power Off). I think it's time to invest in a new remote as well; is there anything I should be aware of as far as controlling the JVC's go? I saw that they publish a doc with many discrete IR codes, so I'm hoping it will be much easier to set up macros for an RS-400U

thanks in advance,
Jedi Mike

Hello there i can only answer question 2.

You wil not see the lag when playing movies..

But even with the lag you can play a gome on it if you want to..

I play sometimes rainbowsix siege and its works fine.

The lag is high but at my age i a, not that fast any more lol.
But its not that high that you cant play any games on it.

#39 ·
Guys and girls

If you want a real musical 3d trip from 50 minutes on your JVC rs400 get lichmond III 3d.
Its amazing on the JVC,superb contrast and some deep black scenes on the end.

Its the best 3d i have ever have seen.

And turn your volume op to 11!:)

#41 · (Edited)
All 3 Lichtmond discs have amazing 3d/audio. I prefer to turn the music off and put the 3d/visuals to my own music.:cool: I think Lichtmond 2 is my favorite, but all 3 are great.

Did you notice any ghosting with Lictmond 3 on the RS400? This type of 3d is a great test for any non DLP!

#42 ·
I have my RS600 in a confined space ( top projector in the photo below ), and I don't find it putting out more heat ( in low lamp ) than what I remember from the 4910 I had here, nor is it putting out more than my VW600.
I currently have a VW665 (almost same as your VW600) and thinkin about getting one of the new JVC's primarily to get brighter 3D. Can you confirm a significantly brighter 3D on the JVC and if so has this brightness to be bought with more cross-talk. In other words: In a mode with comparable cross-talk, is there still a remarkable brightness advantage of the JVC?

Thanks

#45 ·
What are people using as MPC settings?

I'm not sure what these settings actually do...should I leave them at 5 which is the default setting? (Smoothing, NR, etc).

#46 ·
as a Plasma guy jumping into the projector arena for the first time i am a little confused on the best screen to purchase ( i.e. gain , material , brand ) i want to be able to watch 3D on occasion but would obviously want 2D to look great as well. oh and i don't want to spend a lot lol i am seriously looking at the rs400 so any help is welcome.

#50 ·
Depends on your room and viewing distance? Since you are not too concerned with 3D, it makes it easier to go with a larger screen if wanted. You also have to decide on aspect ratio. Do you want 16:9, 2.35 (CIH) or 2.05 (CIA). There are advantages and disadvantages to each method. Give us a call and we would be happy to help you.

#47 · (Edited)
It has been a long time since I was into the projector game.

I am ready to upgrade to a 75" 4K TV, I already have one 4K TV that I stream 4k content to all the time. I really want 4K in my main theater room where I have a 70" 1080p panel.

I figured projectors were not worth looking into. I just decided to glance and see whats out for 4K.

I see the JVC DLA-RS400U for 2016, HDCP 2.2, HDR, Active Shutter 3D enabled, 4K resolution, New Motion engine? What am I missing? Should I still be considering a 75" 4K over a projector they both cost the same...

I understand it has bad lag for gaming... What else is bad about it?

#51 ·
Not true 4K. Upconverts to 4K. For a dedicated movie room, slam dunk for the RS400 over the 70" 4K TV, as long as you are going larger than 100". Preferably larger than 106".

#48 ·
Today i got the 3 pin version splitter cable. https://www.hi-shock.de/3d-emitter-u...sa-adapter?c=8

And it works great,now i have the monstervision 3d glasses working and also a RF emitter with the 105Bt glasses working..

I also connected my Panasonic TY-ER3D4ME glasses that i have from my plasma tv downstairs..

And they work like a charm And these are the lightest and comfordable glasses that i ever used with a super clear picture!

#49 ·
Shopping for the JVC RS400 ... best places to buy?

Also.... I'm running a 30ft Audioquest Forest HDMI cable ($275 hdmi cable!) to my current Epson 5020, anyone experiencing any HDMI problems with similar cables? I know the AQ forest cable when I bought it was for the 10gbps+ standard but I would hate to have to re-feed a new wire through my ceiling.

Thanks!

#52 ·
Don't know what you cable is capable of sending. You would have to test it. As for buying the RS400, you could give AV Science a call, if you are located in the US. :)

#54 ·
My new X5000 rs400 will be here tomorrow hopefully.

Reactions: john2910
#55 ·
Couple questions for owners, here's the setup:

After several years of housing a nephew in the bonus room that was originally tapped as a theater, I'm finally ready to begin work. Right now, the RS400 is about tops on the projector list. The room itself is a long bonus room (about 14X24) which would be beyond perfect if it wasn't for the rather low knee-wall, meaning the actual ceiling is not too wide. By my calculations so far, it looks like the best I'm going to do is about 110", and more than likely the design will require something like the Elite Screens Kestrel floor riser which is 106". Long story short, there's a window on the screen wall that I do not wish to permanently block. The limited width of the ceiling means I can't use a motorized screen (manual is not out of the question just yet). So other than the floor riser or manual, the only other thing I can think of would be some crazy hinge mount system to allow a fixed screen to swing up and latch to the ceiling or something. Not ideal, but I'm not ruling it out just yet. Ok, that brings me to the reason for this question...

How is the fan noise on the RS400? From what I can see, for a 106-110" throw, the projector would need to be about 12' from screen which puts it directly over where the first row of seats would go, and in front of the second row. Depending on the noise levels, that could be an issue. The second question, is what I'm finding right on the throw distance? I don't think the room would allow me to get much further away, but can I get closer and still throw to that size screen?

#56 ·
We would need to see a picture of the room. You can try my calculator to get a general idea of max screen sizes for the JVC-Rs400 (it's in my signature)... It should give you quite a bit of info on mounting data (that is what it was designed for), even if it doesn't account for your odd ceiling, playing with the calculator can help you visualize all your installation requirements.

Noise is not an issue on JVC's or Sony's. With that size screen you will be running on low lamp most of the time anyhow and the fan runs even quieter, but even on high lamp the fans are pretty quiet, nothing to hear once the movie starts. It's about the same amount of noise as the air conditioning being on generally speaking.

#59 ·
Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm totally new to the projector side of this (a plasma guy by nature), was assuming that the minimum throw for X size screen was more a factor to a given model, which is what I was trying to determine so I could look where the projector would be in relation to the seating.

#57 ·
I had a problem over the last week where my DVDO Air3c stopped linking w/ the receiver. I tried everything to get it to work again w/ the RS400/X550 (I have the latter), and finally the only thing that did the trick was the HDMI2 port with EDID mode B.

Does anyone else use a DENON reciever (2112) with this machine? I wonder if it's a handshake issue.

My chain is PS4->DENON 2112ci -> AIR3c TX ------ Air3c RX -> X550.

Should i just give up and go w/ a wire?