Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 785Likes
Reply
Thread Tools
post #1 of 3510 Old 01-06-2016, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
john2910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Official JVC DLA-RS400 (X550/X5000) Owner's Thread

Leave here your impressions and questions about this projector.


There was no official owners thread so i started one.


I just sold my sony hw55es and bought the JVC rs400.


I realy like the 2d and 3d from this new JVC..
SimpleTheater likes this.

Last edited by john2910; 02-01-2016 at 05:19 AM.
john2910 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 3510 Old 01-06-2016, 10:51 PM
Member
 
chriso1671's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Red face Difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post
Leave here your impressions and questions about this projector.


There was no official owners thread so i started one.


I just sold my sony hw55es and bought the JVC rs400.


I realy like the 2d and 3d from this new JVC..
Hey John, could you expand on the difference between the sony and the jvc I have 6030 and am thinking about getting the 400, regards Chris.
chriso1671 is offline  
post #3 of 3510 Old 01-07-2016, 07:40 AM
Advanced Member
 
Rosano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Montreal
Posts: 675
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I am also looking at this PJ.....its the x550 up here in the great white north. I currently have an HD750 and its time to upgrade. Does anyone know if the my chief mout will fit the new PJ or will I need a new adaptor bracket?

I am curious as to how much of a difference I will see in pic quality. I have a 96x54 screen.

Thanks
Rosano is offline  
post #4 of 3510 Old 01-07-2016, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
john2910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriso1671 View Post
Hey John, could you expand on the difference between the sony and the jvc I have 6030 and am thinking about getting the 400, regards Chris.

Hello there,


The difference is cleary visable in the bigger contrast and better deep blacks on the jvc


Also the 3d is a big improvement over the sony,far less ghosting and brighter..


The only downside is that there is more lag in gaming on the JVC.


For the rest a great upgrade from the sony hw55es.
john2910 is offline  
post #5 of 3510 Old 01-07-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
slateef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Heaven
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by john2910 View Post
Hello there,


The difference is cleary visable in the bigger contrast and better deep blacks on the jvc


Also the 3d is a big improvement over the sony,far less ghosting and brighter..


The only downside is that there is more lag in gaming on the JVC.


For the rest a great upgrade from the sony hw55es.
Will have my RS400 in hand by next Tuesday. Will post my impressions at that time.

Can't wait!

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
slateef is offline  
post #6 of 3510 Old 01-07-2016, 12:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
slateef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Heaven
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Oh, and if any current owner's want to post their calibrated settings, that would be awesome!

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
slateef is offline  
post #7 of 3510 Old 01-07-2016, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
john2910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 493
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by slateef View Post
Will have my RS400 in hand by next Tuesday. Will post my impressions at that time.

Can't wait!

You will love it!!
john2910 is offline  
post #8 of 3510 Old 01-07-2016, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nexgen76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 93
I want to upgrade from my RS49u but I will wait a little & see how you guys like the 400. I dont like giving up my deep black levels. If the black levels is on par with this PJ it will be a instant buy for me.

JVC DLA-RS400U
Sliver Ticket 120' Grey screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)future project.
Pioneer Elite SC-85
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY)
Nexgen76 is offline  
post #9 of 3510 Old 01-07-2016, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
slateef's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Blue Heaven
Posts: 1,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexgen76 View Post
I want to upgrade from my RS49u but I will wait a little & see how you guys like the 400. I dont like giving up my deep black levels. If the black levels is on par with this PJ it will be a instant buy for me.
Hey, Nexgen, I live in Waxhaw, just down the road from Charlotte. Once I get my RS400 up and running, you're welcome to come over to take a look.

I dream of a better tomorrow... where chickens can cross roads and not have their motives questioned.
slateef is offline  
post #10 of 3510 Old 01-07-2016, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 5,472
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 898
I've done a head-to-head comparison between the 500 (750) and the 400 (550) -- I own them both so I don't think I bring any bias to the table (well maybe a little since the 500 cost a fair chunk of change more).

In our opinion (with a forum guest attending) the 400 is pretty much the 500 without the 500's black floor, which seems to only be an advantage in fade scenes. In other words the 400 hangs in there with its big brother in all the various scenes we threw at it -- both 2D and 3D. I lived with the 400 for a few weeks before my 500 arrived so I knew the 500 was in for a rough ride. The 500 is an amazing projector so where does that leave the 400? An even more amazing projector since it doesn't have the 500's specs or price. Now, this was with 1080p material, which is what we'll mostly be watching for some time I believe. I don't think you guys are going to be disappointed.

My guest, who has a long history setting up, repairing and rebuilding CRT projectors, and currently has what used to be my Sony G90 (I gave it to him) said the following: "The JVC's are sharper, brighter and have all the contrast of the best CRTs" (my feelings exactly). He asked me how the image could get any better. No doubt it will but for now I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.
Toe, billqs, riwi and 5 others like this.

Last edited by Deja Vu; 01-07-2016 at 04:37 PM.
Deja Vu is offline  
post #11 of 3510 Old 01-07-2016, 11:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
Nexgen76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by slateef View Post
Hey, Nexgen, I live in Waxhaw, just down the road from Charlotte. Once I get my RS400 up and running, you're welcome to come over to take a look.
Actually I'm closer than that I'm in Monroe off Griffith rd....Bro i really would appreciate that because I'm really on the fence right now.

JVC DLA-RS400U
Sliver Ticket 120' Grey screen
Aggressive 1299 L/C/R/, Volt 10XL x 2 surround, MKII Atmos Modules x 4(Jav's build)future project.
Pioneer Elite SC-85
Ported Primate SI 18" HST subs x 2(DIY)
Nexgen76 is offline  
post #12 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 12:18 AM
Member
 
stuartbrown21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I've done a head-to-head comparison between the 500 (750) and the 400 (550) -- I own them both so I don't think I bring any bias to the table (well maybe a little since the 500 cost a fair chunk of change more).

In our opinion (with a forum guest attending) the 400 is pretty much the 500 without the 500's black floor, which seems to only be an advantage in fade scenes. In other words the 400 hangs in there with its big brother in all the various scenes we threw at it -- both 2D and 3D. I lived with the 400 for a few weeks before my 500 arrived so I knew the 500 was in for a rough ride. The 500 is an amazing projector so where does that leave the 400? An even more amazing projector since it doesn't have the 500's specs or price. Now, this was with 1080p material, which is what we'll mostly be watching for some time I believe. I don't think you guys are going to be disappointed.

My guest, who has a long history setting up, repairing and rebuilding CRT projectors, and currently has what used to be my Sony G90 (I gave it to him) said the following: "The JVC's are sharper, brighter and have all the contrast of the best CRTs" (my feelings exactly). He asked me how the image could get any better. No doubt it will but for now I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.
This is incredibly encouraging to read. I've always been a guy that has had to settle for the basic model and make it last......hence why I've been watching a HD350 for the past 7 years! I was thinking this year may be the time that I finally upgrade, but was dismayed when the basic model took a step backwards in contrast spec whilst the higher models moved forward.

My fear was that taking a demo and watching for instance The Dark Knight, the 400 would look greyish on the darkest scenes compared to a really solid near black on the next model up. Also that general contrast in all scenes would suffer in comparison, but it seems like that is not the case.

I suppose the reports of the higher end models being 'brutal contrast monsters' apply to the 400 now aswell!

I guess even on a total fade to black, with its higher native contrast and dynamic iris, the 400 should destroy my current pj (brightness matched of course).
stuartbrown21 is offline  
post #13 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 02:58 AM
Senior Member
 
mpyw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Any 400 owner having a"Drop Corner" i.e. the right bottom corner of the projected image is slightly lower than the left corner
The top end of the image is perfectly ok

To be or NOT to be......YOU are WHO you ARE
mpyw is offline  
post #14 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Jon S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Sunny Hawaii
Posts: 3,868
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyw View Post
Any 400 owner having a"Drop Corner" i.e. the right bottom corner of the projected image is slightly lower than the left corner
The top end of the image is perfectly ok
This is usually a result of the projector not being perfectly aligned with the screen. I think it has to be shifted left and tilted a bit up to fix.
billqs and john2910 like this.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Jon S is offline  
post #15 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member
 
billqs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
This is usually a result of the projector not being perfectly aligned with the screen. I think it has to be shifted left and tilted a bit up to fix.
Mike Garrett over in the RS500/600 Owners Thread gave really good advice on how to properly align the projector to the screen. It was helpful to me and I've mounted 10 projectors before.
billqs is offline  
post #16 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 02:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
billqs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 169
I think the RS400 is the up till now "unsung hero" of this year's JVC lineup. It brings major new brightness, while keeping really good native contrast (40k to one) and better uniformity and stability by keeping the same light engine from the very successful line up last year. It is also terrific for 3D viewing and is HDMI2.0 and HDCP 2.2 so that you can view UHD Blu-ray.

The new light engine and panels from the RS500/600 are extremely promising, (but as with any new advance there are some issues that need to be worked through) and you do miss a few important features such as a P3 filter to reproduce DCI colorspace, but the RS400 is an unbelievable bargain at this price level.
DavidHir and nucky like this.
billqs is offline  
post #17 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 02:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 9,393
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3863 Post(s)
Liked: 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I've done a head-to-head comparison between the 500 (750) and the 400 (550) -- I own them both so I don't think I bring any bias to the table (well maybe a little since the 500 cost a fair chunk of change more).

In our opinion (with a forum guest attending) the 400 is pretty much the 500 without the 500's black floor, which seems to only be an advantage in fade scenes. In other words the 400 hangs in there with its big brother in all the various scenes we threw at it -- both 2D and 3D. I lived with the 400 for a few weeks before my 500 arrived so I knew the 500 was in for a rough ride. The 500 is an amazing projector so where does that leave the 400? An even more amazing projector since it doesn't have the 500's specs or price. Now, this was with 1080p material, which is what we'll mostly be watching for some time I believe. I don't think you guys are going to be disappointed.

My guest, who has a long history setting up, repairing and rebuilding CRT projectors, and currently has what used to be my Sony G90 (I gave it to him) said the following: "The JVC's are sharper, brighter and have all the contrast of the best CRTs" (my feelings exactly). He asked me how the image could get any better. No doubt it will but for now I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.
Just curious who's argued against this? I mean this is always how it's been with the JVCs. The top models share the same parts as the bottom end ones except some modifications and extra parts are used in the top two models to increase contrast. Your conclusion is as expected. It's always been a question of how much more are you willing to spend to get that last bit of performance. If JVC really wanted to screw the bottom end unit out of something they could have not included the dynamic iris, then there would have been quite the difference in contrast between this model and the two on the top.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #18 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 04:46 PM
Home Theater Lover
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 9,808
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2691 Post(s)
Liked: 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpyw View Post
Any 400 owner having a"Drop Corner" i.e. the right bottom corner of the projected image is slightly lower than the left corner
The top end of the image is perfectly ok

Your projector is pointed towards the right then. Rotate it slightly to the left, and use lens shift to shift the image back right. Keep making small adjustments until it's perfect. If the bottom is concave, it's tilted too far up. Convex - too far down.


I had both my RS600 and VW600 perfectly aligned to my two screens. Perfect rectangle. Perfect corners. Then I removed and re-installed my electric screens. Now I have an RS600 whose image " droops down " on the right corner, and a VW600 whose image " droops down " on the left corner. It's not the projector - it's the mounting position in relation to the screen.
billqs and mpyw like this.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Craig Peer is offline  
post #19 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 05:14 PM
Home Theater Lover
 
Craig Peer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 9,808
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2691 Post(s)
Liked: 2487
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Just curious who's argued against this? I mean this is always how it's been with the JVCs. The top models share the same parts as the bottom end ones except some modifications and extra parts are used in the top two models to increase contrast. Your conclusion is as expected. It's always been a question of how much more are you willing to spend to get that last bit of performance. If JVC really wanted to screw the bottom end unit out of something they could have not included the dynamic iris, then there would have been quite the difference in contrast between this model and the two on the top.

More and more money for smaller and smaller performance gains as you move to better projectors is true of all projectors and brands, eh?

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net
Craig Peer is offline  
post #20 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,846
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
...clip.... If JVC really wanted to screw the bottom end unit out of something they could have not included the dynamic iris, then there would have been quite the difference in contrast between this model and the two on the top.
Don't give them any ideas
billqs likes this.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

coderguy is offline  
post #21 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member
 
billqs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
If JVC really wanted to screw the bottom end unit out of something they could have not included the dynamic iris, then there would have been quite the difference in contrast between this model and the two on the top.
I think JVC's done a really good job of providing very great value all the way through their product lines year after year. This year, I think many folks initially looked beyond the RS400 (I know I did) because of the "carryover parts" and slightly lower reported contrast figure off the previous year's lower tier model. Now that all three models are "out in the wild" I think folks are reappraising the 400's worth and realizing just what a wonderful projector it is.

You're right that JVC could have hobbled the lower tier model and pulled the Dynamic Iris but that's more the modus operandi of an electronic company that rhymes with "pony".
billqs is offline  
post #22 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 9,393
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3863 Post(s)
Liked: 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by billqs View Post
I think JVC's done a really good job of providing very great value all the way through their product lines year after year. This year, I think many folks initially looked beyond the RS400 (I know I did) because of the "carryover parts" and slightly lower reported contrast figure off the previous year's lower tier model. Now that all three models are "out in the wild" I think folks are reappraising the 400's worth and realizing just what a wonderful projector it is.

You're right that JVC could have hobbled the lower tier model and pulled the Dynamic Iris but that's more the modus operandi of an electronic company that rhymes with "pony".
I would say this year the bottom end model sits just a hair below last year's bottom model in terms of contrast performance difference to the next model up. So JVC did "maim" this model just a tad more. Last year the delta in native contrast at full brightness was ~15% between the bottom end unit and mid-tier unit. This year it's doubled to a 30% contrast delta. This is main reason why many opted for the higher end units this year. But, whether or not you're willing to pay the extra ~$1500 street for the next model up, is something subjective. Though using the dynamic iris will lessen the visible difference in native contrast quite a bit. Though not everyone likes using the DI and if you're one of these people the next model up makes more sense. There's no denying that the RS400 packs the most bang for the buck still.

As far as bright corners go, I doubt this is something better or worse depending on the model. All three models use the exact same DiLA panels but I think it may stick out more on the higher end models due to the level of black being that much "blacker". I feel lucky as my unit has extremely light "bright" corners. A little better than my previous X500 and the "lens streaking" issue is noticeably better on my RS500 as well. Convergence is quite excellent too. Overall I think I got a pretty good unit. These issues really are lucky of the draw in terms of severity.
billqs likes this.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #23 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 08:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 10,846
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked: 269
You said the JVC iris was about as good as an iris gets though, no?

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

coderguy is offline  
post #24 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 9,393
Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3863 Post(s)
Liked: 1852
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
You said the JVC iris was about as good as an iris gets though, no?
Are you asking me? If so, no, I never said that. It's definitely a good performing iris and feels like a multi-generation improved up implementation. But it still needs a little refinement in my opinion, but in general I doubt most would have complaints. The Sony 1100ES, except in dark scenes (it can close too much), performs better imo. I'd say the best DI I've ever seen was in the Sony HW30ES and HW50ES (same implementation if I'm not mistaken).
billqs likes this.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #25 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Deja Vu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: great white north
Posts: 5,472
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 911 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
Just curious who's argued against this? I mean this is always how it's been with the JVCs. The top models share the same parts as the bottom end ones except some modifications and extra parts are used in the top two models to increase contrast. Your conclusion is as expected. It's always been a question of how much more are you willing to spend to get that last bit of performance. If JVC really wanted to screw the bottom end unit out of something they could have not included the dynamic iris, then there would have been quite the difference in contrast between this model and the two on the top.
I've seen a number of posts on the 500/600 thread where people who have not seen the 400 commented that it was definitely inferior to the 500 -- IMO it is only inferior with respect to published specs but not with the image it throws, albeit it does not have the contrast of the 500; however, this does not distract from the image in all the content I've seen with the exception of fade to blacks (even with the DI on its fades are not quite as convincing as the 500's fades).

Tomorrow I spend some quality time with the LS10000.
billqs likes this.
Deja Vu is offline  
post #26 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 11:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
jjcook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 787
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
Tomorrow I spend some quality time with the LS10000.
I'm very interested to hear about your observations. Will you be doing a side by side comparison or at least demoing in the same room?
jjcook is offline  
post #27 of 3510 Old 01-08-2016, 11:55 PM
Member
 
gitongisip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Is this right, the difference between the 2 models the powered zoom lens for the 400 and manual for the 550? Also the outer lens ring, 400 is gold and the 550 black?

http://www.projectorcentral.com/part...pare_list=9080

Last edited by gitongisip; 01-08-2016 at 11:57 PM. Reason: clearer
gitongisip is offline  
post #28 of 3510 Old 01-09-2016, 12:03 AM
Member
 
gitongisip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 80
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
I've done a head-to-head comparison between the 500 (750) and the 400 (550) -- I own them both so I don't think I bring any bias to the table (well maybe a little since the 500 cost a fair chunk of change more).

In our opinion (with a forum guest attending) the 400 is pretty much the 500 without the 500's black floor, which seems to only be an advantage in fade scenes. In other words the 400 hangs in there with its big brother in all the various scenes we threw at it -- both 2D and 3D. I lived with the 400 for a few weeks before my 500 arrived so I knew the 500 was in for a rough ride. The 500 is an amazing projector so where does that leave the 400? An even more amazing projector since it doesn't have the 500's specs or price. Now, this was with 1080p material, which is what we'll mostly be watching for some time I believe. I don't think you guys are going to be disappointed.

My guest, who has a long history setting up, repairing and rebuilding CRT projectors, and currently has what used to be my Sony G90 (I gave it to him) said the following: "The JVC's are sharper, brighter and have all the contrast of the best CRTs" (my feelings exactly). He asked me how the image could get any better. No doubt it will but for now I'm enjoying what I'm seeing.
What about the 1000 lumens difference between the two, is it noticeable or a factor?
gitongisip is offline  
post #29 of 3510 Old 01-09-2016, 06:03 AM
Senior Member
 
mpyw's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post
Your projector is pointed towards the right then. Rotate it slightly to the left, and use lens shift to shift the image back right. Keep making small adjustments until it's perfect. If the bottom is concave, it's tilted too far up. Convex - too far down.


I had both my RS600 and VW600 perfectly aligned to my two screens. Perfect rectangle. Perfect corners. Then I removed and re-installed my electric screens. Now I have an RS600 whose image " droops down " on the right corner, and a VW600 whose image " droops down " on the left corner. It's not the projector - it's the mounting position in relation to the screen.
Thanks, done the adjustment, it's perfectly rectangle now
Craig Peer likes this.

To be or NOT to be......YOU are WHO you ARE
mpyw is offline  
post #30 of 3510 Old 01-09-2016, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
billqs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 814
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I would say this year the bottom end model sits just a hair below last year's bottom model in terms of contrast performance difference to the next model up. So JVC did "maim" this model just a tad more. Last year the delta in native contrast at full brightness was ~15% between the bottom end unit and mid-tier unit. This year it's doubled to a 30% contrast delta. This is main reason why many opted for the higher end units this year. But, whether or not you're willing to pay the extra ~$1500 street for the next model up, is something subjective. Though using the dynamic iris will lessen the visible difference in native contrast quite a bit. Though not everyone likes using the DI and if you're one of these people the next model up makes more sense. There's no denying that the RS400 packs the most bang for the buck still.

As far as bright corners go, I doubt this is something better or worse depending on the model. All three models use the exact same DiLA panels but I think it may stick out more on the higher end models due to the level of black being that much "blacker". I feel lucky as my unit has extremely light "bright" corners. A little better than my previous X500 and the "lens streaking" issue is noticeably better on my RS500 as well. Convergence is quite excellent too. Overall I think I got a pretty good unit. These issues really are lucky of the draw in terms of severity.
I'm glad you got a really good unit, Seegs! Gives me hope for my replacement. Except for the bright corners being more evident from seating level, my current unit has excellent convergence and unnoticeable streaking from where I sit. I wasn't getting noticeable Iris pulsing either. I think your reasoning makes sense, and it looks we all agree that RS400 has a large bang for the buck quotient.
billqs is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off