Need Help With New 4K Home Theater System - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2016, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Need Help With New 4K Home Theater System

My local Sony dealer has just installed a Sony VPL-VW665ES projector and Sony 3000ES receiver in our home theater. In addition to those two components I have a Sony Blu-ray player (soon to be replaced by a Samsung UltraHD Blu-ray player), a Roku 4 (at present my only 4K source), and a Uverse cable box. Next door to our home theater in our kitchen my wife had a 19 in. Samsung 1080p TV installed, and it is fed an HDMI signal from the Sony 3000ES receiver in our home theater and on the other HDMI input of the Samsung is a Uverse box.

My wife wants to watch what I am watching while she fixes dinner, and so on the Sony 3000ES receiver we have HDMI Output B feeding the Samsung TV in the kitchen. Output A of the Sony 3000ES feeds the 665ES projector in the main home theater room. Zone 2 of the Sony 3000 is powered on. Now for the problem. My wife can only get the output of the Sony 3000, i.e. watch what I am watching in the kitchen, if I set the "Priority" in the DDMI setup menu of the Sony 3000 to Main + Zone 2. However, setting the Priority to Main + Zone 2 on the Sony 3000ES also gives a HDCP 2.2 error failure when I switch to the Roku 4 source and attempt to play copy protected material in the main home theater room. Furthermore, once I attempt to play copy protected 4K content with the Priority setting of Main + Zone 2 and get the HDCP 2.2 error, the port on the Sony 3000 to which the Roku 4 is connected "locks up" and will not work even when I switch Priority back to Main Only. Our installer spoke with his Sony Tech Rep who stated that anytime the Sony 3000ES gets even a single failure on the HDCP 2.2 "handshake" it locks the port for that device and will not unlock the port without re-initializing the receiver. My installer and I confirmed that by re-initializing the Sony 3000ES and once again observed that we could play back copy protected 4K content from the Roku 4 if Priority was set to Main Only.

Bottom line is that neither I nor my installer can find anyway to use Zone 2 on this Sony 3000ES receiver to feed the source that I am watching into the kitchen to my wife's new Samsung TV. Now I fully understand that since her new Samsung is not a 4K TV we cannot send 4K content to the Samsung, but we cannot send ANY content, even 1080i from the Uverse to the Samsung in the kitchen from Zone 2 on the Sony 3000ES without setting Priority to Main + Zone 2 and then I lose the ability to view copy protected 4K content in the main home theater and lock up the HDMI port on the Sony 3000ES receiver which requires aa re-initialization of the receiver.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem? I am willing to remove the Sony 3000ES from this system and purchase yet another A/V receiver, but I need to know that what I am trying to do would work on the new receiver.

My wife is very distressed about this situation and your help is greatly appreciated.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2016, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I have continued to explore the problem described above and I have found a workable solution. The problem is caused by the convoluted implementation of Zone 2 and HDCP 2.2 which Sony has used in their 3000ES A/V receiver. Everything I said in my first post above is true, i.e. setting Priority in the receiver's HDMI setup to Main + Zone 2 and turning on Zone 2 power will cause an HDCP problem anytime content protected material is accessed via the Roku 4. Without having Main + Zone 2 enabled in the receiver HDMI setup, a signal is not transmitted into zone 2 to the Samsung TV.

Here is how I solved the problem. I began by setting the HDMI Priority to Main + Zone 2 in the receiver's HDMI setup menu. I went into the receiver's Zone setup menu and switched off power to zone 2. We are using a Harmony remote to control the entire system. I programmed the Harmony remote to send out a discreet zone 2 off signal anytime I left any source. In other words when I switch activities on the Harmony remote from Uverse to Apple TV or Blu-ray or anything else, a discrete turn off Zone 2 power command is sent out by the Harmony. (In fact we send this out once, delay a second, and send it out again just to be sure Zone 2 power is off.) One can then go to the Roku 4 and play 4K copy protected material without any problems. When I am watching something on Uverse in the main home theater room and my wife wants to watch it in the kitchen, I now have a discreet Zone 2 Power On and a discrete Zone 2 per Off button on the Harmony remote for each activity (i.e. source). To get the signal to Zone 2 I merely have to power on Zone 2 with the Harmony remote. I lose the picture momentarily in the main room and then it returns in both the main room and the kitchen. I don't have to worry about turning Zone 2 Power Off before going to the Roku 4 because when I leave any activity to go to Roku 4, a discrete Zone 2 power Off command is issued BEFORE the Harmony switches to the Roku 4. I have observed that if The Samsung TV in Zone 2 is powered down and I power on Zone 2 at the 3000ES receiver, I get an HDCP protection error. It is thus necessary to have the Samsung TV turned on before turning on the Sony receivers Zone 2 power. Furthermore, I have observed that even with the Samsung TV turned off, if Zone 2 is powered on at the Sony receiver, I will occasionally get an HDCP error. This is corrected by turning off the Zone 2 power with the Harmony. Thus I make sure that Zone 2 is powered on only when the Samsung TV is turned on and my wife is watching in the kitchen what I am watching in the main room. ( I have Zone 2 in the Sony Receiver set to follow the Source. At all times I keep Zone 2 powered off unless viewing in the kitchen is desired to avoid HDCP problems. While this is a convoluted, and in my opinion, crazy way of implementing Zone 2 on this Sony receiver, it does work.

I have literally spent days figuring this approach out. Neither my local Sony dealer who installed the system (and who is very experienced with Sony projectors and receivers) or dealer Sony Tech Support people had even a clue as to how to get this working.

I hope in posting this here, I have helped some poor soul who has a Sony 3000ES receiver and is trying to get it to work with another (non-4K TV) in a second location, although based on The total absence of any response I must be the only person in the world with the Sony 300ES receiver having problems accessing copy protected content on the Roku 4 or watching other sources in zone 2.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
hdcp 2.2 error , sony 3000es , sony 665es
taboola here