RGBHV over shielded Cat 5 success! - Page 18 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #511 of 524 Old 01-15-2008, 12:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
would this sort of thing also work with a piece of CAT5 and 2 RGB ends ?

I would like to have a computer in one area of a room and my computer monitor in the other, but don't want to drill large holes in the floor and run the wire under the room floor.....

so instead, I'd drill small holes at each end of the room, run CAT5 wire down one of the holes, along my basement ceiling ( it has a false ceiling ) , pull the end of the wire up through the hole at the other end and then now attach the RGB plugs or whatever they are called.

I got the idea from a buddy who sent me this link here:
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

I don't see VGA to VGA connections here, but it seems do-able, but I'm not sure.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #512 of 524 Old 01-15-2008, 12:59 PM

I built VGA-VGA cables using this method. One about 15' and the other about 40'. It worked just as you describe. Fish small cables through the holes, and put the vga ends on. I have some slight ghosting, but that seemed to change depending on the quality of my attempts at soldering, so I would blame my skills
post #513 of 524 Old 02-27-2008, 09:37 AM

Is it possible to make it reverse??I want the take input from the component cable of my ps2 to my VGA monitor
post #514 of 524 Old 02-27-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by satyanjoy View Post

Is it possible to make it reverse??I want the take input from the component cable of my ps2 to my VGA monitor

No, unless your monitor will accept a component signal over the vga port like some projectors do. Otherwise you will need a transcoder. It is more than a cabling issue.
post #515 of 524 Old 04-19-2008, 06:41 PM

Im trying to move my noicy server out of the bedroom, and came across this topic while looking for VGA cable extentions.

I need to get a good 1680x1050rez. 32bit 60Hz (Its a TFT screen) VGA feed across a distance of around 30 to 40ft. capable of running video and text, pertymuch like a normal PC would be able to do.

What would you advice me to do to achieve this?
post #516 of 524 Old 04-22-2008, 11:36 AM

This is the condensed version of this thread (MrWiggles FTW) so you dont have to comb through the whole thread.

link http://myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

Do note however that this link doesnt include the instructions for clearing up ghosting issues. You may need to come back should you encounter that issue.

K-Dawg

"People vote with their dollars!"
post #517 of 524 Old 05-14-2008, 11:52 AM

Hi from Romania (East europe)
I confirm this GUIDE works 100%
I successfully connect VGA out from a NX6325 HP Laptop with a PLASMA TV LG 32PC51.
Please find on the internet details for this models to see other informations and what connectors have each equipment.
I put on both ends same pin out on two HD15 father connectors.

Bucuresti, bucharest, SVGA, CAT5e, build, cabluri, laptop, conectare, TV, VGA, RGB, romania

Later edit: I forgot to tell that coverd distance was approximatively 13m of UTP CAT5e cable put it along with stereo SOUND cable, and few power cords and Network cables.
post #518 of 524 Old 05-14-2008, 12:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
I think this thread deserves a hall of fame award for the longest running thread in AVS history. 7 years and running and people are still finding it helpful and useful. Well done Mr. Wiggles
post #519 of 524 Old 08-13-2008, 12:31 PM

I will have to read the last few years on this, but I have to ask anyway.

1st, does RadioShack still offer the needed peices parts for this? If not, is there a good online site to get the shielded cable, shrink ends and other pieces?

2nd, what solder (%/%) do you recommend for this? It has been a LONG time since I have done this!

3rd, is there any way to make a manual (or better yet, automatic) switch for this setup? I have a computer and an XBox360 that I would like to connect up to the same VGA port on my plasma. I have a KVM for it, but the model is irritating in that you have to have the primary machine on to be able to select the input source being used (IOW, both need to be on in order to operate one of them, in my case, the computer needs to be on when I am using the X-Box, but not vice versa).

Bottom line is, with a new av/wall unit installed (wood veneer) I would like to avoid coring as much as possible. If I could just get a large drill bit in there to fit the CAT5 and speaker wires for the R, SW, RL and RR I will be good to go!

TIA!
post #520 of 524 Old 11-17-2008, 05:14 PM

MR WIGGGLES,

I'm really impressed by all this, (if the quality and stability is really that good).

May I ask you, as I do not have any soldering equipment or knowledge, would you consider making me a really good example of a VGA to RGB cable, for a fee?

I am trying to connect my Apple Mac Mini with DVI out, to my analogue panasonic widescreen with only svideo and rgb in. I would like to avoid going down the S-video or VGA route if I can get RGB quality.

Would you let me know?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give.
post #521 of 524 Old 11-17-2008, 07:03 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post

I think this thread deserves a hall of fame award for the longest running thread in AVS history. 7 years and running and people are still finding it helpful and useful. Well done Mr. Wiggles

I agree! I venture back to avsforum every couple years when the upgrade bug strikes and when I saw this thread tonight it threw me for a loop. Next up... the NEC LT150 and "The Dell Deal."

Tom L.
post #522 of 524 Old 03-20-2010, 08:56 AM

Hello:

Before trying this idea I used a normal VGA cable and the quality of the video was really bad!

Then I made the cable as explained on this thread and it worked with a slight modification. I have the following config:

1) Samsung LCD TV 1080i
2) Dell INSPIRON 15 laptop
3) Resolution = 1360x768 @60Hz
4) Cable lenght: 15meters

Now the modification was:

I connected pin 10(GND) of the DB15 to the CAT5 shielding but also connected it to the case of the DB15 connector, I guess this helped to have a better impedance match on the transmission lines.

Before soldering a small cable between pin 10 and the case there was a lot of ghosting on the screen! But after doing this small mod it worked almost perfect. There is still a slight ghosting but only visible when you're too near the screen(which is not my case).

Thanks a lot to Mr. Wigggles!

Saludos desde Mexico!!!
post #523 of 524 Old 09-15-2010, 05:29 AM

Thanks for the thread, it has helped me tremendously!
post #524 of 524 Old 10-08-2013, 12:01 PM

all right maybe this can help some of you guys that dont solder and try it out i have only started using this for the past 2 months and its really cheap so its worth the try if any of you want to try this and let us know about ghosting or what nots...

i use a panasonic 3200 lumen projector:

here goes:

i found on ebay cat 5 to VGA connectors as well as cat 5 unshielded cable all for around under $25  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300933156094

and :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-PC-to-2-Monitor-2-Port-VGA-SVGA-Video-LCD-Splitter-Box-Adapter-With-USB-Power-/350589592506?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item51a0c4a3ba

a macbook pro only extends signal for about 6 feet which i think is retarded but ALAS they do have a long lasting battery which is why they cut down on the power consumption

so i had to get an amp that amplifies the signal, this works well and it says it does up to 164.042 feet or 50 meters  ( i have tried the 150 feet but in a coiled setting i havent uncoiled the cable to see if it picks up interference, but at 50 feet, it doesnt as far as my eye can see) with 350MHZ amplification

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-of-Black-VGA-Extender-Adapter-To-CAT5-CAT6-RJ45-Cable-/140968252862?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item20d25cd5be

Hope this helps you out i spent a few hours doing research on this but not enough and i havent tried it with lenghts of shielded cable

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page