Help Please! JVC RS500 Screen and Projector combo - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By stanger89

post #1 of 7 Old 06-14-2016, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Help Please! JVC RS500 Screen and Projector combo

Hi all,

Building my first home theatre and need some advice.

I have almost certainly settled upon making a JVC RS500U my first projector as it seems like the best combination of value and state of the art technology at present. Subject to responses here, if its not the RS500, then it would almost certainly be the 600 for the extra 100 lumens. However, this being my first home theatre, I am having some issues determining my mounting point given my possible screen dimensions and desired brightness. Here is the scenario:

- I have a ~ 16' by 36' room that will essentially be split between a home theatre end and a rec room end, and such a long room requires a ceiling mounted projector
- ceiling is decoupled using clips and hat channel
- I have placed in-wall speakers for the Left front/center/and right front channels, and the height of these speakers is such that I will be using an accoustically transparent screen
- stud locations dictated that the speaker boxes housing the left and right front channels are roughly 112" apart measured from the "inside edges" (i.e. the box edges closest to the centre channel) of the speaker boxes, and roughly 142" apart from the outside edges
- I want a scope screen 2.35 or 2.39 to 1
- I want a BIG screen (although not in the front row, I typically choose to sit well within the front 1/3 of most theatres)
- I am concerned about my initial (and perhaps perpetual?) adjustment to a less bright projector image and want to ensure I am not disappointed by the projected brightness... in other words, brightness is important to me

As I see it, my screen width options are either 142" or 112", with nothing in between since smaller than 112" will almost certainly be too small for my liking (and I think 112" will be too small also... although maybe I will have to settle for such a width), and greater than 142" probably too big. If I tried something in between, which frankly I'd prefer, the screen frame would then bisect the speaker locations and I am pretty sure this is a no no (somebody please correct me if I can somehow accomplish this because it would afford me more flexibility and might render the following questions null).

Soooo, my questions are:

1) IF I opted for the 142" wide screen, what combination of screen gain and projector location would offer the best blend of image brightness and sharpness?
2) I know if I move the projector closer I will achieve better brightness on a big 142" wide screen, but at the expense of sharpness as I understand it. Throw for these projectors is indicated at 1.4 to 2.8, with optimal sharpness at 2.1, but as a newbie to the projector world, I'm wondering how closely I must adhere to the optimal throw of 2.1? 2.1 x 142" wide screen suggests a projector location some 24' from the screen which projector central says will vastly underlight my screen. Looks like I need to be closer - perhaps significantly so. But if I mount closer, will I be disappointed in the reduced sharpness?
3) Of course, I could add some screen gain, but how much? From my readings, it seems most people don't go beyond a gain of 1.3. And more problematically, perusing Seymour Screen's website seems to indicate that their premium 4k "enlightor" fabric actually has a negative gain at 0.98!?!

Thoughts and help please!

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-19-2016, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked: 972
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHT View Post
1) IF I opted for the 142" wide screen, what combination of screen gain and projector location would offer the best blend of image brightness and sharpness?
I'm sure others can confirm, but I don't think the RS500 will have trouble with 142" wide scope screen at all. I'd take a look at AVS's new "DIY V6" fabric for your screen.

Quote:
2) I know if I move the projector closer I will achieve better brightness on a big 142" wide screen, but at the expense of sharpness as I understand it. Throw for these projectors is indicated at 1.4 to 2.8, with optimal sharpness at 2.1, but as a newbie to the projector world, I'm wondering how closely I must adhere to the optimal throw of 2.1? 2.1 x 142" wide screen suggests a projector location some 24' from the screen which projector central says will vastly underlight my screen. Looks like I need to be closer - perhaps significantly so. But if I mount closer, will I be disappointed in the reduced sharpness?
I don't recall ever seeing or hearing anything about throw impacting sharpness, it should be fine regardless of what your throw is. As far as projectorcentral, their calculator is fine for throw/screen size, etc, but it's worthless for brightness, no one knows what numbers they use for that.

For example, for a 142" wide scope screen, to hit the DCI standard 16fL, you need about 1200-1300 Lumens. The RS500 is capable of at least 1700 per Cine4home, actually they can do 1200 in Eco. The brightness will of course depend on throw.

Quote:
3) Of course, I could add some screen gain, but how much? From my readings, it seems most people don't go beyond a gain of 1.3. And more problematically, perusing Seymour Screen's website seems to indicate that their premium 4k "enlightor" fabric actually has a negative gain at 0.98!?!
Yeah, you pretty much can't get a AT screen that's over unity gain. I think about the only AT screen that does have positive gain is the Stewart 1.3 microperf, but for the price of that (guessing), you could probably get an anamorphic lens which would net you more brightness (maybe, depending on throw).
post #3 of 7 Old 06-20-2016, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Yeah, you pretty much can't get a AT screen that's over unity gain. I think about the only AT screen that does have positive gain is the Stewart 1.3 microperf, but for the price of that (guessing), you could probably get an anamorphic lens which would net you more brightness (maybe, depending on throw).

Is this a recommended screen, the Stewart? Any others to consider? I am considering the same PJ, and it will be my first one.
post #4 of 7 Old 06-20-2016, 07:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 4794 Post(s)
Liked: 2950
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackkrash View Post
Is this a recommended screen, the Stewart? Any others to consider? I am considering the same PJ, and it will be my first one.
Depends on screen size and viewing distance. If you need the gain and your viewing distance works with microperf, then yes it would be a recommended screen. Give us a call and we can walk through what is needed for what you want to do, or let you know if it will even work for you.

Call for CEDIA SPECIALS
AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, SE, Carada, MicroLite.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-22-2016, 01:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksHT View Post
2) I know if I move the projector closer I will achieve better brightness on a big 142" wide screen, but at the expense of sharpness as I understand it.
The trade-off isn't sharpness, it's contrast. The further back the pj is from the screen, the dimmer the pic but the better the contrast.

Quote:

I'd take a look at AVS's new "DIY V6" fabric for your screen.

I don't recall ever seeing or hearing anything about throw impacting sharpness

I want to replace my SMX AT screen with something that can handle 4k. I ordered a bunch of samples and found the "DIY V6" fabric to be as smooth as Stewart's Enlightor and the only material with as much gain as the SMX which seems to be just over 1.0x gain. At least it's brighter than any of the materials that claimed 1.0x gain.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-22-2016, 04:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked: 972
post #7 of 7 Old 06-22-2016, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 362
Quote:
FWIW, it's Seymour Screen Excellence that makes the Enlightor 4K, not Stewart.
Oh, thanks... yeah... I get confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page