Would I Notice the Difference (JVC X35 to 550) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 3 Unread 07-13-2016, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Would I Notice the Difference (JVC X35 to 550)

Hi folks,

I've been considering upgrading my projector and I've got a couple of questions.
I currently run an JVC X35 with less than 1,000 hours on the first of 2 bulbs in a light controlled room.
I sit 14' away from a 106" screen watching mostly movies and my beloved Winnipeg Jets.

Would the purchase of a JVC 550 be a noticeable improvement?
I upgraded from an Epson 6500UB to the JVC and the difference was amazing.

Thanks for your opinions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Unread 07-13-2016, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Unless your looking to do 4k with HDR yea there will be a wow factor but if your happy with the brightness and plan on sticking with blue ray and sports it won't be anything like the upgrade from your 6500. In fact the RS400 has less native contrast than what you have now.

Pioneer SC-95, Axiom M80, VP180 Dual EP500 all V4. RS400 + Stewart Cima Neve 133
post #3 of 3 Unread 07-13-2016, 06:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked: 2627
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
Unless your looking to do 4k with HDR yea there will be a wow factor but if your happy with the brightness and plan on sticking with blue ray and sports it won't be anything like the upgrade from your 6500. In fact the RS400 has less native contrast than what you have now.
That is a little bit deceiving because while the spec is less, if you brightness match the X35 with the X550, you will have higher native contrast with the 550. This is because you will have the manual iris closed down a lot more and as you know, each click down on the iris increases the native contrast. Not a big difference, but it is still an increase, not a decrease.

AV Science Sales, 585-671-2968
mike@avscience.com
Sony, JVC, Epson, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Parasound, Triad, Atlantic Tech, M&K, RBH, SVS, Polk, Stewart, Seymour, Falcon, DNP, SI, Screen Excellence, Carada, MicroLite & more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP