Sony VPL-HW45ES, VPL-HW65ES or JVC RS400 (X550R)? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old Today, 12:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony VPL-HW45ES, VPL-HW65ES or JVC RS400 (X550R)?

Hi all,

I am a bit of a newb to projectors so please forgive me in advance.

I am building a new home theater and am looking at projectors. I am trying to decide between the Sony VPL-HW45ES, VPL-HW65ES or the JVC RS400 (aka X550R).

I realize the latter two are double the price of the 45ES - but hear me out.

I'm trying to decide if it's worth spending $4k on a projector right now, or buy the $2k HW45ES, and sell it in a few years when projector technology matures more and I'm able to buy a better projector for $4k. So my questions are:

- What's the difference between the 45ES and the 65ES? I've been looking on Sony's website but the only difference I see is that there's no contrast range specified for the 45ES, but the 65ES has 120,000:1 contrast range specified.

- Is it worth it to go for a more expensive projector now (a 65ES or a RS400), or buy a 45ES, and sell it in a few years, and buy a better projector then?

- What's the point of buying a 65ES (a 1080p projector) when a RS400 (a 4K projector with HDR) can be had for the same price? To me, it seems like the obvious better projector is the RS400, but people are still buying the 65ES, so there has to be something I'm missing.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Today, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 85
What do you plan on using it for? Movies, gaming, both?
post #3 of 7 Old Today, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post
What do you plan on using it for? Movies, gaming, both?
Whoops, forgot to mention that.

It'll be used for watching movies and TV. No gaming will be done on it (have a PC for that).

Screen will be 120", with the projector sitting about 12 feet away from the screen.
post #4 of 7 Old Today, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 745 Post(s)
Liked: 300
What's your room like? Full light control? Dark walls and ceiling?

In an untreated room you may not see all the benefits of the more expensive projectors on your list.
post #5 of 7 Old Today, 12:42 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
What's your room like? Full light control? Dark walls and ceiling?

In an untreated room you may not see all the benefits of the more expensive projectors on your list.
I don't have the room built or finalized yet, this is just planning at this point.

The plan for the room is dark walls, carpet, and ceiling. No windows so I will have 100% light control.
post #6 of 7 Old Today, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

In my opinion if you've never had a projector before even a 45es will blow you away compared to your local cinema.

When the room is treated the JVC's increase in contrast will definitely be noticeable and there really isn't much of a downside since you don't play games on it.

Nothing is ever going to be completely future proof. If you wait forever for the next big thing you'll never have anything.

Considering you'll also want to invest in a nice screen it might not be a bad idea to go with the 45es now and wait for true 4k etc. I wouldn't consider the 65ES under your circumstances. I'd love to have one but I love their Motionflow FI and occasionally game on mine. Your needs are different and the price difference between the 65ES and RS400 isn't significant enough.
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh and the 65ES has a dynamic iris and is easier to calibrate. Those are the main differences IMO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP