Dwin TV3 Owners Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 06:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got email from my dealer--his HDCP/upgrade boards arrived yesterday. Expect to have mine installed some time next week.

-x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 06:41 AM

Has anyone using the TV3 with the Samsung hd-931 had any problems with sync between the audio and video in the DTS mode? If so, is there a fix?
post #453 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 123
xcode- me too. I guess I'll need to get sertious about joining the all DVI digital club soon. Suppose we should start a thread in the DVD section that is for DVI DVD to TV3 owners. Maybe some here who have pioneered this would go start that. I'd love to have all the stuff about doing this in one place. I recall there were some pros and cons of the two DVI players but not sure which one is the best bet-
Seems the Bravo is hard to get and locks up often while the Samsung is more expensive and has some stretch mode that is default and I hate that look. Neither is ideal. Hopefully, some pioneers/early adopters will start such a thread on which is the best choice for the TV3 owners.
post #454 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 07:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
I think you summed up the two DVI players pretty well Don.

Thomas Marshall has both, and has done a lot of comparison between the two. In the end, he said he slightly prefers the PQ of the Bravo, it's a bit "cleaner".

However, as you mention, he has had problems with it locking up. The remote isn't very good. The Samsung appears to be a bit more reliable.

The Samsung apparently does not play 4:3 material correctly through DVI. It stretches it (as you mention). This is completely unacceptable to me. I have plenty of classic movies in my DVD collection that are 4:3, and I refuse to watch them "distorted" by the DVD player. This fact alone was enough to sway me toward the Bravo.

As far as availability, it is my understanding that V Inc. has finally caught up to the demand, and D1's are shipping immediately upon order.
post #455 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 07:24 AM

My second picture, the fixed one, is of the Bravo D1 startup screen. I love the D1...I had it lock up on me once. I think I am one of the fortunate. The remote sucks but I have a MX700 so its a non-issue. For the quality of the PQ, I think you'll be hard to find anything better for the price that is out now. Monster's Inc. and SW:AOTC looks outstanding at 720p. Santellavision? put out a good review and comparison of the D1 and Sammy with his VP12s2 and he preferred the look of the D1.

DVI is amazing and currently the best way to view DVD's...despite the low rating it got from Secrets.

-sonny
post #456 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The Secrets review of the Bravo D1 can be found here.
post #457 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I've had my Bravo since early May (second batch?). I haven't had any lockups, yet. Sure the remote stinks but if that keeps the price at $200 I consider it a plus. Who uses the oem remote anyways? From all my reading in the various forums the Bravo sounds like a much better value. The 4:3 stretch, chroma bug and a picture generally not reviewed as well as the Bravo's steered me away from the Samsung.

An aside.. I have Bob Jones for ImagePerfection coming over to calibrate on the 28th. I'm very curious to see the settings that he comes up with. Of course I'll share them with you all.

-kraig
post #458 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 07:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I don't think the Samsung has the chroma bug.

Am I wrong?
post #459 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

I may be wrong on the chroma bug. Bad memory.

-kraig
post #460 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 08:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

I know that the Marantz DVI player has the chroma bug (and it costs about 8 times as much as the Bravo!). Perhaps that is the unit you were thinking of?
post #461 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 09:56 AM

Quote:

Has anyone using the TV3 with the Samsung hd-931 had any problems with sync between the audio and video in the DTS mode?

I'm using the Bravo D1 and noticed a big problem with lipsync on a DVD I played last night. It was not DTS but it was the first time I have ever noticed this and I haved played many DVDs. The only difference is that I just upgraded to HDCP compliance. I tried one other DVD and did not see the problem. I'm wondering if the new board and chip may be causing an audio delay problem. Is this possible or likely? I will check more this weekend.
post #462 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 10:15 AM

Apparently there was a lipsync issue with DD 2.0 sources. I thought that was fixed in the second batches firmware but I could be mistaken. I really don't have any DD2.0 sources so I haven't seen it yet. I haven't heard of any DTS issues and lipsync, but then again I could be wrong.

-sonny
post #463 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 05:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

If the Bravohas the lock up fixed, then I can see getting into that. I don't like stretched video at all. The remote is a non issue for me since I don't use them anyway, only to program my main remote.

I also thought the Bravo was not HDCP complaint meaning that it worked outside the license requirements of DVD and was considered a good find to have one just for that reason. Considering I watch so few DVD's I really don't want to spend much on one anyway.
post #464 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 05:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Considering I watch so few DVD's .....

Blasphemy!!!

What do you watch? If it's not DVD's, I hope you are going to say High Definition something...
post #465 of 2662 Old 07-11-2003, 09:07 PM

I ordered a Bravo D1 today just because of the sterling reviews it has been receiving on this site. I'm going to hook it up and do a side by side by side comparison between it, my HD931 and my Sony 999ES and will report back. FYI, Bravos are in stock and ship immediately. Mine shipped FedEx two-day for $25 shipping. More to come . . . .
post #466 of 2662 Old 07-12-2003, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Rob-

Yes, I have all the current HDTV channels with DirecTV, local broadcast and DishNetwork. No time for DVD's and besides HDTV looks much cleaner than many of the DVD's Maybe the DVI will improve that.
Besides DVD's cost so much more than programming of HDTV channels. Plus, I have recording capability with all my channels and have a huge library of tapes for those rare days "nothing's on" I usually rent the DVDs I watch and buy the title if I find I want to watch again. So far my collection's at about 40 DVD's and most are in my van for road movies!
post #467 of 2662 Old 07-13-2003, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

I spoke too soon - had my first lockup with the Bravo last night. Of course it happened at the end of the movie in the most suspenseful part. Anyways I posted over in the dvd forum and I'm trying to find out how widespread this is and if anyone has gotten help from V Inc. on this.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=279717

-kraig
post #468 of 2662 Old 07-13-2003, 01:38 PM

I finally saw this pj last night at a friend's house thanks to Brent Huskins. My friend has a Runco 1000ci projecting onto a Greyhawk. Overall I loved the pq of the Dwin (no calibration - staight out of the box). Specifically I did not feel it was any dimmer than the Runco, nor did I feel that contrast was worse. I did notice that whites did not really stand out - I assume that this is due to the Greyhawk material?

Also, the greens in LOTR (scene at the beginning when Gandalf comes to the Shire) appear to be lime green; it was unnatural. I assume that this will be corrected with an ISF calibration?

Thanks,
AGN

Loving life in projectorland!!
post #469 of 2662 Old 07-13-2003, 01:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

That's impressive Don...DirecTv and DishNetwork!?

I'm sure you are recording all the HD movies that you can, while you can, right?!

I hope the new DishNetwork PVR with Firewire output comes soon!
post #470 of 2662 Old 07-13-2003, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Rob- I stopped recording for the library when I hit 500 DVHS tapes. No more room! I now record for archive only those special movies. I do run a long tape often to time shift and because of that, I am also eager to get the 921. The 921 has DVI out too and that was the primary reason to have a Dwin with 2 DVI connections, one for the 921 and one for the DVD player. But, I'm in no hurry for a DVD player especially with all the quirks being reported with the current batch. Too bad they just don't work as nicely as my current Panasonic cheapie. RP-56. I guess it will just have to do for now.
post #471 of 2662 Old 07-13-2003, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

500 D-VHS movies?! Wow!

Funny, I just got done watching Star Wars: Episode II Attack of the Clones on HBO-HD, and was thinking "man, I wish I could record this with my JVC 30k right now so I could watch it in High Def on my Dwin when it's set up"!
post #472 of 2662 Old 07-13-2003, 07:30 PM

Firewire... what does that really mean for a satellite receiver? Does this imply that those of us HTPC geeks will be able to just plug and play into our HTPCs and use the satellite tuner just like a tuner card, or is there more to it?

-x
post #473 of 2662 Old 07-13-2003, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Just did the Landis tweak(push the gasket up more towards the screen to tame the light spill, and I also did the sbailler tweak (thanks to his awesome instructions(including a GREAT pic to work off of)). I was worried at first, but after working around in there, I am alot more confident, and I will be up for going in again.

I still haven't heard back from Roger, but I am going to ask him for an extra lens cap(if he want me to rig up a shade for half of the lens, then give me another lens cap to use!).

Anyone willing to try to come up with an idea for a filter on the unit? I would try, but I would probably break something

Also, Is there a way we can link all of the wonderful tweaks posted in this 24+ page thread onto the first page(kinda like a table of tweaks in the first post)?

Thanks again guys, this thread is great!

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #474 of 2662 Old 07-13-2003, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Don Landis
Rob- I stopped recording for the library when I hit 500 DVHS tapes. No more room! I now record for archive only those special movies. I do run a long tape often to time shift and because of that, I am also eager to get the 921. The 921 has DVI out too and that was the primary reason to have a Dwin with 2 DVI connections, one for the 921 and one for the DVD player. But, I'm in no hurry for a DVD player especially with all the quirks being reported with the current batch. Too bad they just don't work as nicely as my current Panasonic cheapie. RP-56. I guess it will just have to do for now.

Don,
My HTPC has a radeon card with DVI out, and dvds @ the native 720p resolution look incredible with DVI. Have you ever thought of one of these(perfect for a tweaker like you).

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #475 of 2662 Old 07-13-2003, 09:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Gave it a thought once but decided to stay away from turing my home theater into one more WORK station.
post #476 of 2662 Old 07-14-2003, 08:02 AM

I've been enjoying my TV3 for a week or so now. On Friday, the cable guy showed up with my new HD cable box for the theater. All I can say is "Wow!" I ended up watching the HD loop on PBS for about an hour with no sound. My question, however, is whether anyone has tried DVI from cable. I live in MA, and I have Comcast cable. The box has a DVI connector, but I don't have a DVI cable to try yet. Before I go out and get one, has anyone in MA with Comcast tried it? I tried to talked to Comcast to see if the DVI connector was even active, but their reps were clueless. I'm curious if I can expect similar results by switching the cable to DVI as others in this forum saw going to the Bravo or the Samsung over DVI.
post #477 of 2662 Old 07-14-2003, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Godavego,
Any other connections on that box like firewire for DVHS recording?
I live in Boston. What HD channels are you getting?
I will be a TV3 owner in september.
FREAK!

3X SUPERBOWL CHAMPION PATRIOTS!
post #478 of 2662 Old 07-14-2003, 02:52 PM

metallicafreak,
There is a firwire connection, but that one I know is disabled. Other than that, there are component, S-video, composite, coax digital, stereo, DVI, and I think there is a toslink as well.

I will look again tonight to verify.
post #479 of 2662 Old 07-14-2003, 02:58 PM
RCF

So any ideas on the next upgrades to the TV3? Is Dwin going to beef up the filter and/or fix the light spill problem or will these remain home remedies? In the "Rumor has it" thread there is talk about an HD2.5 (for lack of better nominclature) chip on the horizon that will be a 10 bit chip and an easy replacement for the HD2 prior to the introduction of the all new HD3. But there's also some discussion that a single link DVI cable will only handle up to 8 bit, whereas a multilink DVI cable will take full advantage of the10 bit chip. What type of DVI cable does the TV3 use?
post #480 of 2662 Old 07-14-2003, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Screen question for TV3 owners. Building a new home, theater room will be dedicated 20x28x10, with total light control if needed. I have been considering a 130" wide screen for this room and would like your opinions on the light output of the Dwin on a screen this size and which screen material at this size. Thanks in advance for any help on this topic, I too look forward to being a TV3 owner soon also!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page