Dwin TV3 Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 2662 Old 07-26-2003, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone have good color settings on an upgraded(HDCP unit?)

I compared this to my mits 55907n today(in the same room playing the same HDTV), and the mits looked more clear and punchy with the colors(it wasn't like this before the upgrade, as the dwin cleaned the floor with it).

Fred

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2662 Old 07-26-2003, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

When I say good color settings, I am talking about settings different then the factory default 50's

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #543 of 2662 Old 07-26-2003, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

I'll post settings next week after my calibration on Monday. Of course everyone's setups are different (screen, distance, equipment, etc.) but it might be interesting anyways. I'm damn curious too see the IFS calibrator guy at work. Anyone of you all ever spent the $$ on calibration?

-kraig
post #544 of 2662 Old 07-26-2003, 01:59 PM

Kraig,

When you post the settings, please post the specifics of your setup - i.e. screen type and size, distance, offset, etc. . . Also, I can't wait to hear if you think the money was worth it in improvement. My projector looked awesome out of the box and, after I set it up with the Video Essentials DVD, I don't know how much room there is for improvement. I'm really interested to hear what you think.

Chad
post #545 of 2662 Old 07-26-2003, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
And please let us know if the gray scale could be calibrated for the DVI, S and composite inputs. They were adjustable on pre-upgrade units.
post #546 of 2662 Old 07-26-2003, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kraigk
I'll post settings next week after my calibration on Monday. Of course everyone's setups are different (screen, distance, equipment, etc.) but it might be interesting anyways. I'm damn curious too see the IFS calibrator guy at work. Anyone of you all ever spent the $$ on calibration?

Please do post the settings(along with your setup).

I have spent the $$$ on an ISF calibration before(on my mits HDTV), and it was WELL WORTH it!

Another question, Does the AVIA disk work well with Digital projectors? I thought I read somewhere here that it wasn't?

Thanks,
Fred

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #547 of 2662 Old 07-27-2003, 09:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The new Dwin website lists the above as a feature of the Dwin. I didn't know it had the capability to adjust the gamma without the service codes.

Also, what exactly is the "enhanced black level" selection? I.e. how does it produce "enhanced black level"??
post #548 of 2662 Old 07-27-2003, 09:23 AM

Notice the Light Sealed cabinet>>> The new one I got is sealed for the most part.. They are changing the new batches..

Website is much improved..

Now if we could only get a firmware fix for more tweakability... and a few extra features.. we got a winner..

Sleep is a luxury that some of us would kill for....
post #549 of 2662 Old 07-27-2003, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Can anyone explain this statement on the new Dwin website:

On the TV3 product page...

* 20 Video Source Memories for Custom Setup and Automatic Recall

Is this the auto memory when you have two scan rates on one input source? Or is it the memorization of settings that I'd like to have?

-kraig
post #550 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 12:56 PM

"I have spent the $$$ on an ISF calibration before(on my mits HDTV), and it was WELL WORTH it!- FRED"

I'd like to believe that ISF calibration would make a difference. However, in my case it wasn't so.

I had my DWIN TV3 ISF-calibrated and picture was pushed to the RED too much. Either I had an incompetent ISF guy (he's certified) or he had some defective tools (Sencore Stuff). Everything he did was off even using the AVIA and Video Essentials Disc.

I called my dealer back in and he did it by eye and picture is much, much better- more natural colors.
post #551 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I hope you got your money back!
post #552 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 01:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

How do you know the colors are more accurate after your dealer calibration? Especially considering he did it "by eye"!?

What's the use of having it ISF calibrated if you are going to trust your eyes over the instruments?

Did the ISF tech go into the service menu? If not, you probably paid too much.

I had my Mitsubish HDTV ISF calibrated, and I agree that it made a rather dramatic improvement to the overall picture.
post #553 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 02:05 PM

Even the ISF calibrator himself said; " I don't care what these intruments says - the ultimate measure is the eye."

Three guys (all own delightful PJ's) saw the final calibrated PJ and all said it's awful.

Yes, we got into the service menu.

I have to work on getting my money back.

Anyway, the DWIN is back looking great!
post #554 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

I pm'd a couple of you looking for a quick response to this question:

When you put up the first test pattern, the crosshatch, do you see a blue line on the edge of the white test pattern lines? Does it border the left of the diamonds on the left of the screen, the right on the right and both left and right in the middle of the screen? Not sure if this blue shoudl be there. Dwin wasn't too eager to hookup a projector to compare. I've got the calibrator coming back in a half hour with an HD signal generator and I'd like to know whether or not you have this blue line.

-kraig
post #555 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

KraigK,

I am looking forward to your post calibration settings(tonight), so rthe least I could do is fire up my TV3 to check for you. On the patterns(the diamond test pattern), you can see what looks to be bad convergence(or at least thats what it reminds me of) on some of the diamonds(on the left and right of the screen, although it is normal in the center.

Hope this helped, and we cant wait to see what your new settings are:gr:

I spoke with Roger at Dwin about my problem with the unit not looking as sharp as it did before the upgrade(and the colors aren't as on as I would like either(reds look maroon), and he gave me the option of sending it back in to them, or having him mail me another HDCP upgrade board. I will probably mail it in(have them fix the lightspill problems then too), but if the new settings fix the unit, I wont be without my Dwin for 2 weeks.

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #556 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 03:17 PM

On both the TV3 and TV2 I have seen the blue lines as well as red on the other side, I have always assumed it was chromatic aberration in the lenses.

20 Memories, gamma selection etc: Dwin began mentioning these with the TV2, these are not new features. As far as I know there is no user adjustable gamma and the memories are automatically set up when a signal of nonstandard resolution is input. You can not create more than one memory per resolution. I hope someone can prove me wrong on this.
post #557 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Fred,

Are you seeing blue lines on the edges of the white test pattern lines? I'd seen these before and just ignored them. If we all have them I guess it is the nature of the beast. If some have them and not other it sounds like Dwin has a problem...

Everyone please look and let me know...

-kraig
post #558 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

I will be sending my TV3 in to DWIN for the once- over this week -- For exactly the same fix as Fred is describing above. the focus (or sharpness?) just is not that great no matter what I do, and they might as well fix the lightspill problem while it is there and open. I'm bummed I won't have it for a week or two, but it drives me crazy each time I watch it knowing that the picture can be great instead of mediocre.

What struck me as odd during my conversation with Roger was when he told me that I "was the first one to complain about the picture..." Weird, since there are at least three others in this thread that have gone back or are going back for warranty work.
post #559 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

What I am still not clear on is whether or not there should be any blue lines at all? And if there are blue lines should left, right and middle all be the same? Rodger wasn't very receptive when I asked about this..

-kraig
post #560 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 03:43 PM

Kraig,

No blue on mine. Pattern is even throughout my 92" Studiotek 130 screen.
post #561 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by kraigk
Fred,

Are you seeing blue lines on the edges of the white test pattern lines? I'd seen these before and just ignored them. If we all have them I guess it is the nature of the beast. If some have them and not other it sounds like Dwin has a problem...

Everyone please look and let me know...

Kraigk,
It looks like bad convergence on some of the lines if you walk right up to the screen. You can see it better as you go to the sides, and the center is very hard to see at a foot away.

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #562 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 04:30 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote]Originally posted by schlitzie
[b]I will be sending my TV3 in to DWIN for the once- over this week -- For exactly the same fix as Fred is describing above. the focus (or sharpness?) just is not that great no matter what I do, and they might as well fix the lightspill problem while it is there and open. I'm bummed I won't have it for a week or two, but it drives me crazy each time I watch it knowing that the picture can be great instead of mediocre.

These are exactly my thoughts as well! I just spoke with him, and I am getting a return auth faxed to me. I will also have the optics sealed as much as possible

What struck me as odd during my conversation with Roger was when he told me that I "was the first one to complain about the picture..." Weird, since there are at least three others in this thread that have gone back or are going back for warranty work.

Again, You are right on here. He said that this was the first he has heard of this. Before you send this in, check the colors out(the reds look an awful lot like maroon!), and it looks like there is a film over the picture(it still looks good, but it wasn't as good as when the non HDCP board was in.

And lastly, How should I ship this guys?????

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #563 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 04:52 PM

Quote:

No blue on mine. Pattern is even throughout my 92" Studiotek 130 screen.

Anthony,

How close did you get to your screen when viewing the test pattern? Depending on your vision you may have to get within a foot.
post #564 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 05:04 PM

Scott,

I have moved back and forth to and from the screen, including 1 foot away and all I see are clean white diamonds.

I can separate all the individual white dots making up those diagonal lines.
post #565 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 05:56 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Fred - I think we have the same problem -- I have previously described My TV3 (pre new HDCP board) as having a picture that was far too red, even after AVIA calibration. It also had what you call the picture with a film over it -- just not sharp at all. After I replaced the board, the color got better, but the picture still looks like there is a layer of vaseline on the lens...
The menu looks sharp, and I can in fact see individual pixels clearly if I display a grey background, so I am a little perplexed...
And, while I'm at it, I also think it is a bit dim...
In any event, I'm not happy so it is going back - As far as shipping goes, I have had the most luck in the past with UPS, so I'll insure it and off it goes in the next few days. (Fed Ex had a royal screw up on a lexicon amp last year, so I'm done with them)
post #566 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Settings will come later .. I'll be calling Rodger tomorrow for an RMA as well. What I'm hearing here is that there should be white lines and no blue on the test pattern.

I can tell you most of the calibration was done manually after making adjustments with Avia, Video Essentials and an HD signal generator. It came out way too red based on these settings so we then went by eye. The upshot of it all on my setup was the inability to achieve lineal balance between red, green, and blue. Red and blue would get near zero and green would always be around -10. Does everyone find the same thing?

Mr. calibrator felt the picture looked pretty awsome in the end, but was bothered by the lack of in depth greyscale and color adjustments. It was also his opinion that better color generation by Dwin would allow for a balance among the colors and yielding a not so red picture at the same time. But this isn't to say it was a lousy picture.

-kraig
post #567 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 07:12 PM

Kraig,

So far there are 3 posters with blue lines and 1 without. Have you gotten more responses via PMs?
post #568 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 07:23 PM

"It came out way too red based on these settings so we then went by eye-Kraig"

Exactly what I said after my ISF calibration.
post #569 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Shipped it back tonight(I already miss the TV3).
I shipped it fed ex, and I insured it too. I asked Roger to fix the lightspill on the unit, the sharpness of the unit, the colors on the unit, and I wrote a note about the bad test pattern in the service menu. It should get there in 3-4 days, so if anyone can think of more problems I should report, please post them

Fed Ex was 48 bucks with insurance for ground.

Fred M. DeGrandis Jr.
post #570 of 2662 Old 07-28-2003, 09:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Scott - I haven't gotten any more responses.

Anthony - Your right, in fact had I been sharper I would have copied and pasted your comments.

I do think it interesting that when you theoretically calibrate the tv3 with Avia it is so far off? Is this inherent to the Mustang ship? Is it just Dwin?

I know the Dwin folks aren't too happy with us trying to get everything so perfect. All I can say is if they sell the TV3 for $499 as is we'd have no legs to stand on. Since it is $8k+ with warranty I think we all expect more...

Fred - What did they say the turnaround time would be?

-kraig
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page