Dwin TV3 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 2662 Old 06-05-2003, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I thought it might be dust. But I already cleaned out the projector once while I was taking pictures of the inside. I had a little dust building up near the front intake vent. Well, I guess I can do it again. Thanks MRJAZZZ and Mark.

I have about 110 hours so far. Hope I don't run into this every 100 hours. Think there would be a problem adding some filter media on the inside of the front grill? One problem I did notice is that air is also sucked in around the lens. I moved the rubber gasket forward to prevent this, but then you can't focus the projector after the cover is back on cause the gasket is sandwiched between the lens and the projector cover.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My HT Website in progress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 2662 Old 06-05-2003, 11:34 AM

Liked: 10
I am also a new owner of a TV3. So far I am very pleased.
I have 2 simple questions.
-I have Aviaed my inputs from the DVD player. I also have a HD sat box connected thru the RGB connection. How do I calibrate the video settings on this input without dragging a computer to the TV3?
- Inside the same package as the power cord are 2 connector type things(hi-tech speak) and there is no mention of them in any of the docs. Any idea what these are for?

Thanks

Bob
post #93 of 2662 Old 06-05-2003, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 102
You are probably referring to the serial cables for adding custom control stuff. I believe it is in your manual.

There are two ways to do a setup on the RGBHV inputs. If you have a JVC 30K DVHS player you can buy the DTheater AVIA tape. Not sure but maybe Alan Gouger can assist you in obtaining one of these. I had heard they were out. The second way is what I did, Match the screen sizes to the DVD based on markers on my screen and then use the HDNet images they transmit from a DVHS tape. A computer would also work but you'd need a set of charts in file format to display.
post #94 of 2662 Old 06-05-2003, 01:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I think the 2 connectors you speak of are for 12 volt triggers. The plugs for those are on the back of the scaler box. They can be set to trigger for different aspect ratios and used for automatic masking.

There are no stupid questions, but there are a LOT of inquisitive idiots. Me being one of them at times.

My HT Website in progress.
post #95 of 2662 Old 06-05-2003, 04:59 PM
jlm
AVS Special Member

it was mentioned that the Dwin external scaler is available a a separate. Conversely, can you feed the PJ directly with a dvi signal from a different scaler, the HD Leeza, for example?

john
post #96 of 2662 Old 06-05-2003, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

I don't think you can buy the PJ head separately but if you have the TV3 package, you can always try this. What advantage would that have?
post #97 of 2662 Old 06-05-2003, 08:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 293
The answer, Old Swami, is that while the Dwin deinterlacer/scaler is good, there is always better, like a Teranex or maybe a HD Leeza or the new three astericks. Whatever.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #98 of 2662 Old 06-05-2003, 10:24 PM
Advanced Member

Where's Thomas Marshall? Please post your impressions of your TV3 on the Firehawk. I have the same combo coming soon. You're probably too busy playing with your new toy.

Daniel
post #99 of 2662 Old 06-05-2003, 10:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 11
I hope to be playing with his new toy on Saturday too!

Several others will be there as well. I'm sure Thomas and others will post there impressions afterwards.
post #100 of 2662 Old 06-05-2003, 11:10 PM

Got some few questions regarding the tv3:
1. Does anyone knows what type of scaler/video processor tv3 has? Is it similar to the TS2 or TS3?
2. If I feed the tv3 with 720p from a sammy 931 using the dvi does this means that it will bypass the internal video processor of the tv3? Does this also means that I can only use the tv3 video processor if I feed it with 480i via composite, s-video or component?

Question about the sammy 931:
I just read the manual and it says that if I turn on progressive DVI is disabled. So if I turn off progressive and use the dvi out does it auto upscales to 720p or 1080i depending on what is selected?

Sorry for the newbie questions.
I'll appreaciate all your answers.

Thomas, hope you'll post your review of the tv3 using the sammy 931. I'm excited to hear your reviews. I'm still working on my HT room. In a matter of few weeks I'll be ordering the tv3+931+110"firehawk.

thanks,
twelly
post #101 of 2662 Old 06-06-2003, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Mark- Well, I was hoping you could do better than just say it is "better"

Does it have "better" functionality like 12 inputs as opposed to 10 on the TV3? Does it support multiple outputs than just DVI like the TV3? Or is it "better" in the quality specs like it has "better" signal to noise specs and "better" calibration tweakability?
post #102 of 2662 Old 06-06-2003, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry for disappearing on you guys. As vdmai said, I was buzzy playing around with the new PJ, I had some issues with the ceiling mount due to the design of my room which side tracked me for a few days.

We will be further adjusting the picture this weekend with AVIA. The 931 will arrive today, so we will evaluate it as well.

At this point the picture looks excellent to my eye on both my DVD and JVC 30k (component feeds).

I love the two piece configuration, and so far the PJ has been a pleasure to work with.

The only complaint I have so far is with the remote, the IR is a bit flaky at times (signal doesn't always get through requiring multiple presses of a given button). This won't be a long term issue as I'm going to install an automated control system when I get the time. I think this was mentioned before and it really isn't that big of a deal.

We will also do a comparison between the Firehawk and a 1.0 gain Da-lite white screen. I'm a bit biased toward the Firehawk, so I look forward to my guests opinion.

More to come next week
post #103 of 2662 Old 06-06-2003, 10:45 AM

I also have the remote flakiness--earlier in the thread somebody said that they are shipping a new board to improve that (although I'm not 100% sure that he wasn't confusing this issue with the HDCP chip fix since he also referred to the "flaky" HDCP...)

-x
post #104 of 2662 Old 06-06-2003, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Tom- Can you describe how you plan to A/B the two screens?

I am particularly interested in your results since I curerently have the TV3 on the Dalite screen and wanted to try a Firehawk but my local dealer and Don Stewart have both talked me out of it for the time being.
post #105 of 2662 Old 06-06-2003, 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 7Music7
The advanced menus for Grey scale do not seem to affect the DVI input in any way. They do have a benefit when using the multi-pin monitor/component input. I have just started to play with the figures so these are only starters, I will play some more this weekend.

The TV3 started out at around 11,500, WAY to blue.

Wow... that's strange. I'm really surprised that the DVI input can't be calibrated since that's the only input I use any more now that I have switched to practically 100% HTPC for everything on my PJ.

Question for those who have entered the service menu: Can you calibrate the RGB settings differently for each input?

I now have DVD (nvDVD codec), WM9 (T2 Extreme and some BMWFilms short clips is about the extent of my WM9-HD content), and HDTV (very weak signal--only get NBC, WB, and FOX consistently--hoping for a better tuner card to come along soon) all going through the DVI output on my GeForce FX5200.

I did notice that in a grayscale calibration video in WM9HD that I watched, I did see a little blue in the most white bar. It would be nice to fix that and I'm surprised that the RGB calibrations don't affect DVI.

I have to say, I am pretty pleased with most content, although color is really my biggest problem now that I have switched from component to DVI. It seems that different codecs and different content tend to have different color profiles. Since they are all coming from the same input, I can't optimize each one individually at the PJ.

-x
post #106 of 2662 Old 06-06-2003, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Don,

First off, it won't be rocket science, just a few simple comparisons using selected frames and scenes to use as a baseline in the comparison.

This is what I had in mind:

We will use a portable "pop up" type screen, it's a 4:3 aspect ratio screen, approx. eight feet wide and six feet high.

My Firehawk sits above a large speaker enclosure box than runs the width of the screen.

The first test will simply involve standing the portable on top of the box directly against/in front of the Firehawk, approx. half the width of the screen. So we will have a split screen, half Firehawk and half Da-lite.

The second test will be to display the whole picture on each screen separately, switching back and forth between evaluation frames/scenes. During this test we will attempt to re-adjust the PJ for the lower gain white screen.

Keep in mind we won't have to much time as our primary mission is to maximize the PQ of the TV3 with my Firehawk.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.
post #107 of 2662 Old 06-06-2003, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Also, don't forget to give your impression of the HD931 w/this combo....Can't wait to hear back from you. Thanks in advance!

Daniel
post #108 of 2662 Old 06-06-2003, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

Thomas....I also await you report because I run a Sony 9000 in interlace mode to my S2 on a Firehawk. My Sammy 931 is a no show so no tests until next week.

Thanks in advance.
post #109 of 2662 Old 06-06-2003, 01:21 PM
Advanced Member

Thomas....if you don't mind...How about starting a new thread on your experience?
post #110 of 2662 Old 06-06-2003, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem, I will start a thread for this particular review, and continue to post relevant information in this thread.

We plan on comparing my Sony DVP-S9000ES with the 931, and will use each on the screen test as well.

Both DVD's will be connected simultaneously, so we can A/B back and forth on freeze frames and motion scenes from the same movie.
post #111 of 2662 Old 06-06-2003, 04:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I tried Cary's settings and got a definite improvement with the RGB input. Unfortunately the adjustment also changed the picture on the component inputs. The level/gain numbers for component (which are different than the starting RGB numbers) didn't change, but the picture did.
The Dwin will only allow these adjustments for the component and RGB inputs and will not work for 480i regardless of input. The White Balance adjustment, which will let you turn down the blue but not balance the gray scale, is global, all inputs and all scan rates are adjusted at once.

Dwin just informed me that sets with the upgrade HDCP board will have different starting points than older units. Apparently if you spend a lot of time adjusting gray scale with the old board in place you will have to do it all over again once you get the new board.

TWELLY,
The TV3 controller is essentially a TS3 with fixed output resolution.
post #112 of 2662 Old 06-06-2003, 05:15 PM

Quote:

Dwin just informed me that sets with the upgrade HDCP board will have different starting points than older units. Apparently if you spend a lot of time adjusting gray scale with the old board in place you will have to do it all over again once you get the new board.

Excellent! I don't mind recalibrating. (Actually, I'll make my dealer do the first round re-calibration since he'll be installing the board and he calibrated it the first time). It's nice that they are addressing additional problems at the same time as fixing the HDCP problem. So far I now have unconfirmed rumor of a new RGB calibration as well as a better IR receiver.

question: has anybody received their new board yet?? my dealer has gone dark on me.

-x
post #113 of 2662 Old 06-06-2003, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It will be some news if they actually improve the IR. This has been a Dwin problem since the CRT days. The only thing I've seen about the IR was from a poster who HOPED that it would be improved with the new board. Next thing you know they'll be providing 12V plugs that fit properly.

xkode2002:
I hate to say it, but Dwin said they should have all the new boards sent out in about 2 (or 3) weeks.

BTW How do you get quotes sectioned off between two lines?
post #114 of 2662 Old 06-06-2003, 11:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Don. I was referring to a better deinterlacer/scaler than the one built into the Dwin box. Just as there are better but more expensive projectors than the Dwin there are clearly better and more expensive deinterlacer/scalers. I prefer the Dwin deinterlacer/scaler to most other built into the $10K class of projectors. Others, such as Tom Strade and Ives F, would disagree with my preference FOR the Dwin. However, it is not as good as say a Teranex or an HD Leeza or a Rock Pro.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #115 of 2662 Old 06-07-2003, 12:09 AM

Just watched T2: Extreme in Windows Media 9 HD using DVI output. Wow wow wow. Now that is what I bought my TV3 for. For anybody who has an HTPC, I highly recommend it. WM9 is so much smoother than the MPEG2 stuff you get from normal HDTV. It's really quite amazing--and a whole movie (and then some) fits on one 7GB DVD.

And unlike DVD playback using even the best codecs, the colors were perfect with no tweaking.

(make sure you check the thread on the HTPC forum on how to get the license and play in WMP9--without the Interactual player.)

Scottsol, just use quote and /quote surrounded by brackets (or click the quote button on any post).

-x
post #116 of 2662 Old 06-07-2003, 07:43 AM

Does anyone know if a PDF version of the TV3 owners manual is available? The Dwin site only has the older Transvision.
TIA
Steve
post #117 of 2662 Old 06-07-2003, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Some of you may like to see a quick and dirty pair of pictures I just took of whatever was on HDTV to compare my ECP4000 image with the TV3 image. Obviously there are much better images I could have selected but this was just to compare whatever was on as it was displayed on both projectors.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=267575
post #118 of 2662 Old 06-07-2003, 02:10 PM

I just hooked up the Sat C kit. I never had trouble before with HDNet or HBO HD but Showtime HD is squashed. I can't use aspect ratio control as it is locked. I'm using component inputs but I think it would be the same for DVI. Is there a solution for this? This is with a DST3000.
post #119 of 2662 Old 06-07-2003, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Club Gold

Just this afternoon, Showtime HD was squashed vertically on my Dish5000 and 6000 too. I think it is Showtime HD and not anything you are doing. I'd guess it was some flaw in their upconverted movie.
post #120 of 2662 Old 06-07-2003, 03:10 PM

I think you are right. It is fine now that a different movie is on. Thanks.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page