Official JVC DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) Owners Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 453Likes

post #811 of 1353 Old 05-16-2017, 12:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
With the JVC the out of the box settings should be fine. If your projector is stuck in HDR mode it makes me think something was changed by the installer. Check out the manual below.

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/PR...017_manual.pdf
yeah, thats mainly why I was asking, because the installer was all over the place in the menu settings. so whatever the settings were that came out of the box are long gone. I printed out the manual today at work-so I will need to start studying and hopefully I can improve the picture myself. Looks like I should be able to have ChadB come sometime in July to calibrate.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1353 Old 05-16-2017, 03:23 PM
Advanced Member

ok I was fooling around in the menu and did some things to make it appear better. but doing so some how I lost the setting the installer did for scope movies. I only have the pre set he did for 16.9. How do I go about doing a preset back for scope movies? Do I just zoom? tried that but could only zoom top bottom. couldn't expand the left or right sides. Is there a better way? thanks
post #813 of 1353 Old 05-16-2017, 03:31 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman View Post
ok I was fooling around in the menu and did some things to make it appear better. but doing so some how I lost the setting the installer did for scope movies. I only have the pre set he did for 16.9. How do I go about doing a preset back for scope movies? Do I just zoom? tried that but could only zoom top bottom. couldn't expand the left or right sides. Is there a better way? thanks
Hit the lens control button and go through the options. The first should be focus, the next shift, which will shift the image up and down and left and right, and the last option will be the zoom option. You can zoom to where you want it and save up to three settings on the remote.

post #814 of 1353 Old 05-16-2017, 04:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Hit the lens control button and go through the options. The first should be focus, the next shift, which will shift the image up and down and left and right, and the last option will be the zoom option. You can zoom to where you want it and save up to three settings on the remote.
thanks a lot appreciate it. appreciate everyone's patience with all my questions. spent a few hours today just going through the menus and setting up a few profiles, one for 4K and one for blu-ray. don't know if I did it right but picture wise it seems better than what I had. over time I will keep tweaking and when ChadB shows up I'm hoping to learn a lot more.
Bluescale and Buddylee123 like this.
post #815 of 1353 Old 05-17-2017, 03:46 AM
Advanced Member

question on watching 4k UHD blu-rays. I noticed that when color profile is set to HDR the picture is very bleak & muddy. colors all blown out.
when I switch to user 1 settings with color profile at Bt. 2020 am I still getting the benefits of UHD blu-ray or does it have to be in HDR picture mode.
post #816 of 1353 Old 05-17-2017, 01:04 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas21 View Post
Did a quick calibration on the RS420 today with only 15 hours on the unit. This was in low lamp with -5 on the DI, the contrast number on the grayscale screenshot is accurate. I measured it to around 20000:1 with 0 on the DI and 35000:1 with it on -15.

This is also a very good sample with zero stuck pixels, perfect focus, almost zero lens streaking and no bright corners. Did the paper test and it is the best I have ever seen on a JVC, but I did not take photo.

I will check out HDR later.

All in all I am very happy with the unit and since it has only 15 hours on it no gamma drop had occured yet, but it will come I am sure. I hope my RS520 will be as goos as this with all the extra gooddie goodies that comes with the top models...
Hello, Andreas21
Please let me know how do you find your new RS420 (X5500) compared with your previous X500?(black level,brightness,sharpness,perceived contrast....)

Thanks
post #817 of 1353 Old 05-17-2017, 01:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus74 View Post
Hello, Andreas21
Please let me know how do you find your new RS420 (X5500) compared with your previous X500?(black level,brightness,sharpness,perceived contrast....)

Thanks
Andreas21 was banned for life on here. I'll send you a PM.
post #818 of 1353 Old 05-17-2017, 03:04 PM

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Sorry to hear that...
Thanks anyway Buddylee123
post #819 of 1353 Old 05-17-2017, 03:13 PM
Advanced Member

played around in HDR mode today-changed some settings. Huge difference. It looked good..Yeah! still have to tweak the lens memories for scope and 16.9. can't seem to perfect it yet. Next I will work on getting the best picture I can for regular blu-rays. I tried streaming in some HDR 4K from youtube. looks nothing like the UHD discs. blown out form the HDR settings I had watching discs. I'll have to deal with that another time. baby steps....
Bluescale and Buddylee123 like this.
post #820 of 1353 Old 05-17-2017, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll stick with the 940e for now. I think you're right in that the light will be an issue and I do watch TV during the day. I'll get the projector when I get a house and have space for a dedicated theater room. Thanks again for the help and sorry for hi jacking the thread for a bit.
post #821 of 1353 Old 05-18-2017, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by riley3245 View Post
Thanks for the input everyone. I'll stick with the 940e for now. I think you're right in that the light will be an issue and I do watch TV during the day. I'll get the projector when I get a house and have space for a dedicated theater room. Thanks again for the help and sorry for hi jacking the thread for a bit.
I just went from a 940D to a JVC 420 projector and don't regret it one bit
Haiej likes this.

Media Room: JVC DLA-RS420, ST 125" 2.35:1 screen, Denon AVR-x4300h, Outlaw Audio 7125, Sony UBP-X800, Klipsch RF-7ii fronts, RC-64ii center, RS-62ii x2 surrounds && RS-41ii x2 backs, HSU VTF-3 MK5 x2 subs, Micca M-8C heights

Living Room: 65" Sony XBR65X900E; Vizio 45" 3.1 SB4531-D5 sound bar
post #822 of 1353 Old 05-19-2017, 05:56 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I did sort of resolve this. The Oppo had an undocumented firmware update that solved a lot. I bricked the UMC-200 with an attempt at firmware there. I'm trying a newer Emotiva pre/pro while that gets repaired.

There are still smaller issues, but I can work around most. The old off/on is used a lot.

More expensive cable cure a lot. I'm replacing every HDMI cables next - even the short ones.

Is there a firmware path for the projector> I did not see it in the menus. I think that is what the network jack is for, right?

This is way too much work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscpm View Post
I put a new cable between the UMC and the projector. No difference. I bought it for testing. 15 foot. Says it supports 4k, but I'm only at 100p. The one in the wall is longer.

Should I try the cable between the sources and the pre/pro?
Quote:
I seem to be having audio trouble after swapping an RS-420 in for a X70RBU. I can get Video from 3 HDMI sources. But for audio, I get nothing from my Oppo BDP-95. Only PCM 2CH from my Hopper3. An nothing from an old HRDVD. I have an Emotiva UMC-200 pre-pro.

If I pull the output cable from the UMC, the audio from the Oppo syncs. It worked on the X70. Although I sort of remember disabling something. I looked for an ARC on the RS-420, but I don't see anything.

I tried new cables.

Any ideas?

Chris

post #823 of 1353 Old 05-19-2017, 06:14 AM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMac1203 View Post
I just went from a 940D to a JVC 420 projector and don't regret it one bit
You have it in your media room though right? This will be for my living room.
post #824 of 1353 Old 05-19-2017, 06:42 AM

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
I did sort of resolve this. The Oppo had an undocumented firmware update that solved a lot. I bricked the UMC-200 with an attempt at firmware there. I'm trying a newer Emotiva pre/pro while that gets repaired.

There are still smaller issues, but I can work around most. The old off/on is used a lot.

More expensive cable cure a lot. I'm replacing every HDMI cables next - even the short ones.

Is there a firmware path for the projector> I did not see it in the menus. I think that is what the network jack is for, right?

This is way too much work.
If you look a few pages back, we discussed firmware updates quite a bit. I updated mine after purchasing a RS-232 serial port to USB adapter. The firmware can be downloaded from JVC's website.

The update made a huge difference with HDMI stability, so if you are comfortable with the process, I highly recommend it.

Spoiler!
post #825 of 1353 Old 05-19-2017, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

watched first full movie last night on projector. looked pretty good. watched 4K star trek ( first of new series). One observation I noticed in certain scenes when a closeup of a face, it would be super detailed. but then another shot of a closeup it would seem almost out of focus, slight blur. not sure if this is normal or maybe its the movie? seems strange how it could go from one extreme to the next. but overall it looked good.
post #826 of 1353 Old 05-19-2017, 08:29 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 7057 Post(s)
Liked: 4762
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
watched first full movie last night on projector. looked pretty good. watched 4K star trek ( first of new series). One observation I noticed in certain scenes when a closeup of a face, it would be super detailed. but then another shot of a closeup it would seem almost out of focus, slight blur. not sure if this is normal or maybe its the movie? seems strange how it could go from one extreme to the next. but overall it looked good.
Welcome to the world of projectors. You can now see things in the source, that do not show up as much on smaller screens.
Haiej likes this.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #827 of 1353 Old 05-19-2017, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Welcome to the world of projectors. You can now see things in the source, that do not show up as much on smaller screens.
funny you said that. thats what I told my wife. I told her maybe we just never noticed it before since we always watched everything on a TV. It was only a few scenes. rather have it as an issue with the source than an equipment issue. Thanks Mike
Ronman79 likes this.
post #828 of 1353 Old 05-19-2017, 09:49 AM

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 5167 Post(s)
Liked: 2581
The JVCs especially are not forgiving at all for stuff like this. The JVC is like a great DLP projector in that it will show exactly what's in the source with no mercy. The video processing is very straight forward and does not purposefully remove what's in the source material. Some projectors have non-defeatable noise reduction and things like that to help smooth out source artifacts. The JVC has tbis ability but doesn't force it upon you. Combine all of this with a giant screen and a decent lens in this unit and you're gonna see all the mistakes Hollywood makes.
Ronman79 and Haiej like this.

Last edited by Seegs108; 05-19-2017 at 09:54 AM.
post #829 of 1353 Old 05-19-2017, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2047 Post(s)
Liked: 1674
Yep. The first thing that stood out to me the most with front projection is poor encoding on some Blu-rays. When you're watching a 50-60" flat panel, it's hard to tell but on a projection screen, the poor encoding and video noise can really show. For example, on a well encoded 35mm film from a good master will show a nice velvety-like film grain pattern, but with poor encoding it can look swarmy and noisy. That is the thing I like about UHD BD the most so far is the better encoding with H.265 as the few 35mm sourced UHD BD titles I've seen look excellent in this regard. Now there are some very good encoded Blu-rays too, but too many suffer. Even the remastered BD version of Heat has its share of encoding problems.

I would not be able to handle streaming.
post #830 of 1353 Old 05-19-2017, 03:28 PM
Advanced Member

yes I have watched this blu-ray ( star trek) before on a flat screen. but with the JVC and larger screen. Saw so many things I you would never pick up on a TV of 50 inches. I guess its like good speakers. when source is good its outstanding, when not- every flaw is noticeable. I tried some streaming on the Roku- in HDR mode forget it. picture settings I had for discs was not even close- it look really bad.
The UHD discs looked in HDR but I still need to bump down the contrast a bit- some scenes looked a bit to red and blown out. So will have to set up a setting I guess just for that. Also have to get used to the bottom menu of the discs being off the screen when starting a movie. a drawback of scope screen aspect ratio I guess.
Haiej likes this.
post #831 of 1353 Old 05-19-2017, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
yes I have watched this blu-ray ( star trek) before on a flat screen. but with the JVC and larger screen. Saw so many things I you would never pick up on a TV of 50 inches. I guess its like good speakers. when source is good its outstanding, when not- every flaw is noticeable. I tried some streaming on the Roku- in HDR mode forget it. picture settings I had for discs was not even close- it look really bad.

The UHD discs looked in HDR but I still need to bump down the contrast a bit- some scenes looked a bit to red and blown out. So will have to set up a setting I guess just for that. Also have to get used to the bottom menu of the discs being off the screen when starting a movie. a drawback of scope screen aspect ratio I guess.

I wouldn't stress too much about the picture quality right now. I have a feeling that your projector is going to be a different beast after Chad B gets done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #832 of 1353 Old 05-19-2017, 04:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I wouldn't stress too much about the picture quality right now. I have a feeling that your projector is going to be a different beast after Chad B gets done with it.

I do feel better than I did before. I have managed to dial it in a lot better from what it was day one. Nothing like sitting in the dark with a head lamp on and reading through the instruction manual. going to spend some more time this weekend tweaking it. Besides its just good for me to become more familiar with it anyways. Its a whole other world for me. but your right. can't wait for ChadB to really bring it to life. I'm sure I'll learn a lot more from him too.
Bluescale likes this.
post #833 of 1353 Old 05-19-2017, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I do feel better than I did before. I have managed to dial it in a lot better from what it was day one. Nothing like sitting in the dark with a head lamp on and reading through the instruction manual. going to spend some more time this weekend tweaking it. Besides its just good for me to become more familiar with it anyways. Its a whole other world for me. but your right. can't wait for ChadB to really bring it to life. I'm sure I'll learn a lot more from him too.

I had a note pad with a list of questions for the guy that calibrated mine

post #834 of 1353 Old 05-20-2017, 09:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluescale View Post
It was Custom 1 that induced a sunburnt look on some of our projectors. However, for 4k content it should be on BT2020.
##

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk
post #835 of 1353 Old 05-21-2017, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
I am just about ready to hang my rs420! It has been too long coming and I am quite excited.

That said, I am having a little bit of a hard time understanding how the calculator works. I have a 110" screen and a fully blacked out and light controlled theater. I can throw from 13' to 24.' based on my room. This will be ceiling mounted.

Can someone please advise me on where to mount the projector as well as whether there are any pros and cons to mounting it closer or farther from the screen?

thank you!
post #836 of 1353 Old 05-21-2017, 10:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 3365 Post(s)
Liked: 2853
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwanck11 View Post
I am just about ready to hang my rs420! It has been too long coming and I am quite excited.

That said, I am having a little bit of a hard time understanding how the calculator works. I have a 110" screen and a fully blacked out and light controlled theater. I can throw from 13' to 24.' based on my room. This will be ceiling mounted.

Can someone please advise me on where to mount the projector as well as whether there are any pros and cons to mounting it closer or farther from the screen?

thank you!
Mount as close as possible in order to maximise your light output. 6 inches back from min throw would be my recommendation.

HDR will thank you for it.
Haiej likes this.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 & Sony 320ES | My MadVR Settings
post #837 of 1353 Old 05-22-2017, 06:08 AM

Thank you!

As far as I can tell then, I ought to be mounting it 11'8" from the screen.
post #838 of 1353 Old 05-22-2017, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Thank you!

As far as I can tell then, I ought to be mounting it 11'8" from the screen.
That is assuming you have a white screen with around 1.0 to 1.3 gain. If you have an ALR screen, then 11'-8", most likely will be too short of a throw.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

post #839 of 1353 Old 05-22-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
That is assuming you have a white screen with around 1.0 to 1.3 gain. If you have an ALR screen, then 11'-8", most likely will be too short of a throw.
Thanks Mike.

I have a 110" silver ticket woven acoustic screen that is a 1.1 gain.
post #840 of 1353 Old 05-22-2017, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Thanks Mike.

I have a 110" silver ticket woven acoustic screen that is a 1.1 gain.
Have never seen that screen, but you should be fine with the short throw.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page