Official JVC DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) Owners Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 202Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 659 Old 02-03-2017, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Official JVC DLA-RS420 (DLA-X570R) Owners Thread

There was no official owners thread so I started this one.

Leave your impressions and questions about this projector here.

I upgraded from a Sony 40ES. JVC was not an option for me prior to this model year due to lack of a low latency mode.
AMartin56 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 659 Old 02-03-2017, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,127
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 1129
I get mine Monday! Can't wait. Sold off my 11 hour x550 to get the low lag mode!

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is online now  
post #3 of 659 Old 02-04-2017, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 717
So far I'm really enjoying the 420. For my next trick I need to find it some 4K sources.

Unfortunately my receiver isn't cutting the mustard. My PS4 Pro will only detect the JVC as 4K with a direct connection. The good news is that the cheap 30 ft cable in my conduit seems to support 4K/60 just fine.

Two HDMI ports on the projector give me some options. Only one HDMI output on the PS4 Pro is a bit limiting though.

I'm only ever expecting to need two 4K devices...The PlayStation and a UHD Blu-ray player. I doubt I'll want a dedicated streaming device.

From the Pro I'm thinking HDMI straight to the some sort of splitter (HDFury Integral?) and Toslink to the receiver. I don't care about anything above 5.1 for games.

Then a UHD player with two HDMI outputs. One via the Fury for video and one to the receiver for audio. The Fury should allow me to spoof the player and receiver into SDR WCG.

All 1080p sources will go through receiver normally and into second HDMI port on the receiver.

Any faults in the above logic?
AMartin56 is online now  
 
post #4 of 659 Old 02-04-2017, 08:54 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 15,261
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
So far I'm really enjoying the 420. For my next trick I need to find it some 4K sources.

Unfortunately my receiver isn't cutting the mustard. My PS4 Pro will only detect the JVC as 4K with a direct connection. The good news is that the cheap 30 ft cable in my conduit seems to support 4K/60 just fine.

Two HDMI ports on the projector give me some options. Only one HDMI output on the PS4 Pro is a bit limiting though.

I'm only ever expecting to need two 4K devices...The PlayStation and a UHD Blu-ray player. I doubt I'll want a dedicated streaming device.

From the Pro I'm thinking HDMI straight to the some sort of splitter (HDFury Integral?) and Toslink to the receiver. I don't care about anything above 5.1 for games.

Then a UHD player with two HDMI outputs. One via the Fury for video and one to the receiver for audio. The Fury should allow me to spoof the player and receiver into SDR WCG.

All 1080p sources will go through receiver normally and into second HDMI port on the receiver.

Any faults in the above logic?
I have an older receiver as well and if I upgrade to a new JVC (might pull the trigger today) I was just planning HDMI out of the pro straight to the JVC and then using the optical out on the PS4 to my receiver for audio. Any reason you cant do this or it wouldn't work?
Toe is online now  
post #5 of 659 Old 02-04-2017, 09:40 AM
Senior Member
 
kwk2293's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
I have an older receiver as well and if I upgrade to a new JVC (might pull the trigger today) I was just planning HDMI out of the pro straight to the JVC and then using the optical out on the PS4 to my receiver for audio. Any reason you cant do this or it wouldn't work?
It wont pass hd audio will dumb it down to DD or dtx like what is on a dvd
kwk2293 is online now  
post #6 of 659 Old 02-04-2017, 10:00 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 15,261
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwk2293 View Post
It wont pass hd audio will dumb it down to DD or dtx like what is on a dvd

True, but I can deal with that for games myself. I am curious what you come up with though and it would be great if there is a relatively cheap splitter out there (I haven't looked). Does the HD Fury add any lag?
Toe is online now  
post #7 of 659 Old 02-04-2017, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Yeah. I'm fine with sound over optical for games as well. Not sure on lag over the Fury but if I get one I have a Bodnar lag tester. Probably don't need a Fury unless you are running out of HDMI on the projector through.

I'm just glad they added the optical back into the Pro. Didn't they skip it on the regular PS4?
AMartin56 is online now  
post #8 of 659 Old 02-04-2017, 10:13 AM
Toe
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Toe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 15,261
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1656 Post(s)
Liked: 1984
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Yeah. I'm fine with sound over optical for games as well. Not sure on lag over the Fury but if I get one I have a Bodnar lag tester. Probably don't need a Fury unless you are running out of HDMI on the projector through.

I'm just glad they added the optical back into the Pro. Didn't they skip it on the regular PS4?
I was just looking on Amazon earlier and from what I read the original PS4 had it, but the slim did not and now its back on the Pro.
Toe is online now  
post #9 of 659 Old 02-04-2017, 01:41 PM
Member
 
steste1122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
So far I'm really enjoying the 420. For my next trick I need to find it some 4K sources.

Unfortunately my receiver isn't cutting the mustard. My PS4 Pro will only detect the JVC as 4K with a direct connection. The good news is that the cheap 30 ft cable in my conduit seems to support 4K/60 just fine.

Two HDMI ports on the projector give me some options. Only one HDMI output on the PS4 Pro is a bit limiting though.

I'm only ever expecting to need two 4K devices...The PlayStation and a UHD Blu-ray player. I doubt I'll want a dedicated streaming device.

From the Pro I'm thinking HDMI straight to the some sort of splitter (HDFury Integral?) and Toslink to the receiver. I don't care about anything above 5.1 for games.

Then a UHD player with two HDMI outputs. One via the Fury for video and one to the receiver for audio. The Fury should allow me to spoof the player and receiver into SDR WCG.

All 1080p sources will go through receiver normally and into second HDMI port on the receiver.

Any faults in the above logic?
Glad your cable is working fine. I had to get a new cable overnighted (with Saturday delivery) as no way was I waiting till Monday to get it going. I went with the Sewell Silverback S60 in 35 foot length. New cable is working good so far on the Nvidia Shield and Xbox One S. The old cable was kinda working--sometimes it was clear and sometimes it would have snow. Definitely liking the 420 over the Sony hw40es. The only 4k disk I have is Batman vs Superman. A lot of the action at the end is pretty dark, and the JVC handles it much better than the Sony. I have also been checking out the 4k content on Youtube. One thing I am not crazy about is HDR mode. It makes people look orange. Not sure if there is a way to fix that but I will be looking.

If your looking for a 4k source the Nvidia Shield is a good choice.
steste1122 is offline  
post #10 of 659 Old 02-04-2017, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by steste1122 View Post
Glad your cable is working fine. I had to get a new cable overnighted (with Saturday delivery) as no way was I waiting till Monday to get it going. I went with the Sewell Silverback S60 in 35 foot length. New cable is working good so far on the Nvidia Shield and Xbox One S. The old cable was kinda working--sometimes it was clear and sometimes it would have snow. Definitely liking the 420 over the Sony hw40es. The only 4k disk I have is Batman vs Superman. A lot of the action at the end is pretty dark, and the JVC handles it much better than the Sony. I have also been checking out the 4k content on Youtube. One thing I am not crazy about is HDR mode. It makes people look orange. Not sure if there is a way to fix that but I will be looking.

If your looking for a 4k source the Nvidia Shield is a good choice.
Did you use Motionflow with the Sony?

I haven't booted up the Sony again to compare but I'd say it was superior to the JVC with motion but the JVC certainly isn't bad. Thoughts?
AMartin56 is online now  
post #11 of 659 Old 02-05-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 15,478
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2293 Post(s)
Liked: 2514
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I upgraded from a Sony 40ES. JVC was not an option for me prior to this model year due to lack of a low latency mode.
What are your first impressions.....?
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #12 of 659 Old 02-05-2017, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post
What are your first impressions.....?
I thought the Sony threw a pretty nice image but the 420 is a considerable upgrade. Better everything other than motion and the motion isn't horrible by any means. I'm just finding that Motionflow set to Low was pretty much a set it and forget it sort of thing. CMD set to low is good for 1080p/24 Blu-ray and 60hz TV but anything in 60hz that was originally in 24fps looks way too smooth. Selecting Inveverse Telecine makes it watchable but then you have judder. I need to experiment with just turning CMD off under those circumstances. I may prefer the pulldown.

Last edited by AMartin56; 02-05-2017 at 01:38 PM.
AMartin56 is online now  
post #13 of 659 Old 02-05-2017, 01:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
curtishd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,933
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I thought the Sony threw a pretty nice image but the 420 is a considerable upgrade. Better everything other than motion and the motion isn't horrible by any means. I'm just finding that Motionflow set to Low was pretty much a set it and forget it sort of thing. CMD set to low is good for 1080p/24 Blu-ray and 60hz TV but anything in 60hz that was originally in 24fps looks way too smooth. Selecting Reverse Telecine makes it watchable but then you have judder. I need to experiment with just turning CMD off under those circumstances. I may prefer the pulldown.
Motion would be my biggest concern. I currently have the Sony 40es and it does a great job, but I'm just concerned about how sports and streaming movies will look. Most of my movie watching is streaming and I have been unable to find a way to stream VUDU at 24p so I get judder.
curtishd is offline  
post #14 of 659 Old 02-05-2017, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post
Motion would be my biggest concern. I currently have the Sony 40es and it does a great job, but I'm just concerned about how sports and streaming movies will look. Most of my movie watching is streaming and I have been unable to find a way to stream VUDU at 24p so I get judder.
I'm watching more TV for the first time since installing the projector with the Super Bowl looming and I'm starting to think CMD low is too aggressive for 60hz TV as well. Will probably turn it off for that going forward.

Ultimately 1080p/24 Blu-ray is my biggest concern and since that looks great I'm satisfied. I don't stream much.
Dandlj likes this.
AMartin56 is online now  
post #15 of 659 Old 02-05-2017, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 717
And the ONLY time the sync delay has really bothered me so far is when testing different CMD settings. The remote button toggles between the four available options. So the screen goes black for a few seconds after each change. Which can be annoying if you're going 'around the horn'.
AMartin56 is online now  
post #16 of 659 Old 02-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbn008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post
True, but I can deal with that for games myself. I am curious what you come up with though and it would be great if there is a relatively cheap splitter out there (I haven't looked). Does the HD Fury add any lag?
The HDfury doesn't add any lag. I had written them a while back when I first purchased it for a dual (RS57 and Benq) setup and they told me it it so minimal it would never be noticed. They seemed to be right as I never noticed any when playing 1st person shooters online (battlefield, halo, cod, etc.). I sold it and the 2 projectors a while back, which I replaced with a HW45. Now I'm looking to buy another one since I recently picked up the RS420.
Toe likes this.

Headless Petie
jbn008 is offline  
post #17 of 659 Old 02-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Member
 
BMac1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NoVA
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Just purchased an RS420 this morning yay!

I posted this in return to a comment on the Epson 6040 thread, thought I'd post my experience here, too:

My wife and I were just at Magnolia yesterday and had a chance to demo the Sony 65es, Epson 6040 and JVC RS400 (x550r). We viewed them in that order, over and over with the same BD content (X-Men First Class in 1080).

Unfortunately, the way that Magnolia has their store set up is that each projector is in a completely different room with completely different lighting (& sometimes ambient light) and with not only different screen vendors, but sizes and materials, as well.

We saw:
Sony 65es @ ~14' throw onto a 100" SI Series 1 white screen in a completely dark room
Epson 6040 @ ~12' throw onto a 100" Stewart Firehawk ALR screen with minor ambient light (solar shades)
JVC x550r @ ~14/16' throw onto an SI Series 3 white screen w/no control over ambient light (store overhead lights coming through an open doorway in the "living room" setup)

We were told that each of the projectors were in cinema mode on high lamp mode, but they couldn't find the remotes to confirm on either the Epson or JVC.

Unfortunately, I could go on and on about the differences in picture, contrast, sharpness and color, but due to not knowing the hours on the bulb, the differences in screens, ambient light, etc. we left more confused than when we entered.

Ultimately - I placed an order with a dealer on this site this morning for a JVC rs420. Why? The 2017 model has the low input lag for gaming; Every dealer and friend that I spoke with told me I'd have buyer's remorse with the 6040. The reviews and threads that I've read haven't put it that bluntly; it really does appear to be a toss-up between the two. I continued to lean towards the Epson, mainly for the picture brightness and inclusion of mount and extra bulb in the price, but was able to pick up the JVC for a deal that I couldn't pass up.

I'm sure they're both great projectors once calibrated and I don't envy anyone else making this decision If you want to follow my findings with how the rs420 is - check out the rs420 owner's thread in a week or two.

Unless these 2 are side by side I think they're both a great choice.

JVC DLA-RS420, ST 125" 2.35:1 screen, Denon AVR-x4300h, Outlaw Audio 7125, Klipsch RF-7ii, Klipsch RC-64ii, Klipsch RS-62ii, HSU VTF-3 MK5 x 2, Dayton rear surrounds & Micca M-8C heights for ATMOS
BMac1203 is offline  
post #18 of 659 Old 02-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Advanced Member
 
jbn008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMac1203 View Post
Just purchased an RS420 this morning yay!

I posted this in return to a comment on the Epson 6040 thread, thought I'd post my experience here, too:

My wife and I were just at Magnolia yesterday and had a chance to demo the Sony 65es, Epson 6040 and JVC RS400 (x550r). We viewed them in that order, over and over with the same BD content (X-Men First Class in 1080).

Unfortunately, the way that Magnolia has their store set up is that each projector is in a completely different room with completely different lighting (& sometimes ambient light) and with not only different screen vendors, but sizes and materials, as well.

We saw:
Sony 65es @ ~14' throw onto a 100" SI Series 1 white screen in a completely dark room
Epson 6040 @ ~12' throw onto a 100" Stewart Firehawk ALR screen with minor ambient light (solar shades)
JVC x550r @ ~14/16' throw onto an SI Series 3 white screen w/no control over ambient light (store overhead lights coming through an open doorway in the "living room" setup)


We were told that each of the projectors were in cinema mode on high lamp mode, but they couldn't find the remotes to confirm on either the Epson or JVC.

Unfortunately, I could go on and on about the differences in picture, contrast, sharpness and color, but due to not knowing the hours on the bulb, the differences in screens, ambient light, etc. we left more confused than when we entered.

Ultimately - I placed an order with a dealer on this site this morning for a JVC rs420. Why? The 2017 model has the low input lag for gaming; Every dealer and friend that I spoke with told me I'd have buyer's remorse with the 6040. The reviews and threads that I've read haven't put it that bluntly; it really does appear to be a toss-up between the two. I continued to lean towards the Epson, mainly for the picture brightness and inclusion of mount and extra bulb in the price, but was able to pick up the JVC for a deal that I couldn't pass up.

I'm sure they're both great projectors once calibrated and I don't envy anyone else making this decision If you want to follow my findings with how the rs420 is - check out the rs420 owner's thread in a week or two.

Unless these 2 are side by side I think they're both a great choice.
I noticed you have a Denon x4300 and was curious how you're liking it? I currently have a Marantz, but it lacks the hdcp 2.2 switching (recently picked up a rs420) so I was looking to upgrade. The upgrade model to mine is the sr7011, but I was thinking about trying a different brand for a change. thanks

Headless Petie
jbn008 is offline  
post #19 of 659 Old 02-06-2017, 04:12 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
There was no official owners thread so I started this one.

Leave your impressions and questions about this projector here.

I upgraded from a Sony 40ES. JVC was not an option for me prior to this model year due to lack of a low latency mode.
I have OEM and compatible lamps

858-909-8837 free shipping
MITECHNOLOGIES INC is offline  
post #20 of 659 Old 02-06-2017, 04:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMac1203 View Post
Just purchased an RS420 this morning yay!

I posted this in return to a comment on the Epson 6040 thread, thought I'd post my experience here, too:

My wife and I were just at Magnolia yesterday and had a chance to demo the Sony 65es, Epson 6040 and JVC RS400 (x550r). We viewed them in that order, over and over with the same BD content (X-Men First Class in 1080).

Unfortunately, the way that Magnolia has their store set up is that each projector is in a completely different room with completely different lighting (& sometimes ambient light) and with not only different screen vendors, but sizes and materials, as well.

We saw:
Sony 65es @ ~14' throw onto a 100" SI Series 1 white screen in a completely dark room
Epson 6040 @ ~12' throw onto a 100" Stewart Firehawk ALR screen with minor ambient light (solar shades)
JVC x550r @ ~14/16' throw onto an SI Series 3 white screen w/no control over ambient light (store overhead lights coming through an open doorway in the "living room" setup)

We were told that each of the projectors were in cinema mode on high lamp mode, but they couldn't find the remotes to confirm on either the Epson or JVC.

Unfortunately, I could go on and on about the differences in picture, contrast, sharpness and color, but due to not knowing the hours on the bulb, the differences in screens, ambient light, etc. we left more confused than when we entered.

Ultimately - I placed an order with a dealer on this site this morning for a JVC rs420. Why? The 2017 model has the low input lag for gaming; Every dealer and friend that I spoke with told me I'd have buyer's remorse with the 6040. The reviews and threads that I've read haven't put it that bluntly; it really does appear to be a toss-up between the two. I continued to lean towards the Epson, mainly for the picture brightness and inclusion of mount and extra bulb in the price, but was able to pick up the JVC for a deal that I couldn't pass up.

I'm sure they're both great projectors once calibrated and I don't envy anyone else making this decision If you want to follow my findings with how the rs420 is - check out the rs420 owner's thread in a week or two.

Unless these 2 are side by side I think they're both a great choice.
Congrats! You won't be disappointed. This thing is pretty amazing for the 'entry level' JVC. And although I've only used it briefly the low lag mode looks great with my PS4 Pro.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Home Theater: JVC RS 420, Denon AVR-S920W, NHT Super Ones/Zeroes w/Ten Sub,
Sony BDP-S6500, Sony UBP-X800, and Monoprice 130 inch 2.35:1 White Material Screen
Living room: Sony 60NX720, VIZIO SB4051-C0 Other: Samsung 51F8500
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
AMartin56 is online now  
post #21 of 659 Old 02-06-2017, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 717
So take this with a huge grain of salt because my experience with 4K and HDR is extremely limited but I've been playing around with HDR via my PS4 Pro and while the results are mixed I'm having some fun with it.

First of all I'm surprised it's actually working via my $15 25 foot HDMi cable.

It's also taught me that the high lamp fan noise isn't awful four feet over my head.

I didn't notice much of a difference with HDR in The Last of Us and Uncharted 4 but Ratchet and Clank looks nice and vibrant. The fire effects in general look good if maybe a little over cooked.

I'm running in the default HDR mode with low latency. It probably helps that due to motion sickness issues I zoom the picture out when playing games. It's currently the smallest size it can be with a 14.5 foot throw.
AMartin56 is online now  
post #22 of 659 Old 02-07-2017, 04:33 AM
Member
 
BMac1203's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: NoVA
Posts: 187
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbn008 View Post
I noticed you have a Denon x4300 and was curious how you're liking it? I currently have a Marantz, but it lacks the hdcp 2.2 switching (recently picked up a rs420) so I was looking to upgrade. The upgrade model to mine is the sr7011, but I was thinking about trying a different brand for a change. thanks
Loving it. Had he 4200w, but wanted 11 channels, so sold it to upgrade. In the choosing process went through auditioning the comparable Marantz and reading everything I could and I kept coming back to Denon. We don't listen to music, much, in our media space so sound for movies/TV was more important to us.

I considered the 7702mkii (Just for the fun of getting separates), but wanted the new audyssey app and couldn't afford the 7703 (need a 2016/17 model to get the audyssey app).

Highly recommend the 4300h.

JVC DLA-RS420, ST 125" 2.35:1 screen, Denon AVR-x4300h, Outlaw Audio 7125, Klipsch RF-7ii, Klipsch RC-64ii, Klipsch RS-62ii, HSU VTF-3 MK5 x 2, Dayton rear surrounds & Micca M-8C heights for ATMOS
BMac1203 is offline  
post #23 of 659 Old 02-07-2017, 05:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
elmalloc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 4,873
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMac1203 View Post
Loving it. Had he 4200w, but wanted 11 channels, so sold it to upgrade. In the choosing process went through auditioning the comparable Marantz and reading everything I could and I kept coming back to Denon. We don't listen to music, much, in our media space so sound for movies/TV was more important to us.

I considered the 7702mkii (Just for the fun of getting separates), but wanted the new audyssey app and couldn't afford the 7703 (need a 2016/17 model to get the audyssey app).

Highly recommend the 4300h.
Does the JVC RS420 have wireless HDMI? My HDMI cable in wall failed, and the guy who installed it gave no pipe to pull/reinstall cables (it's routed through a finished basement).

So I sold my Epson 8350 and was going to upgrade to 5040UBE. If JVC can't give wireless 4K through PS4 Pro, I'm probably out. Then again, I don't even know if the 5040UBE supports wireless 4K through PS4 Pro/receiver.

Thanks!

Projects:
NOT STARTED - Theater (Sim2 HT380, CIH 13ft wide).
IN PROGRESS (10%) - Home LAN (4 PCs).

Game room:
Epson 5040UBE, Denon S920W, Philips BDP7501, NVidia Shield TV, PS4 Pro, SI 110"
elmalloc is offline  
post #24 of 659 Old 02-07-2017, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Wireless HDMI is not built in and honesty isn't something I would try with 4K. I hear too many CABLE horror stories as it is.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Home Theater: JVC RS 420, Denon AVR-S920W, NHT Super Ones/Zeroes w/Ten Sub,
Sony BDP-S6500, Sony UBP-X800, and Monoprice 130 inch 2.35:1 White Material Screen
Living room: Sony 60NX720, VIZIO SB4051-C0 Other: Samsung 51F8500
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
AMartin56 is online now  
post #25 of 659 Old 02-07-2017, 06:49 AM
Advanced Member
 
jbn008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 531
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMac1203 View Post
Loving it. Had he 4200w, but wanted 11 channels, so sold it to upgrade. In the choosing process went through auditioning the comparable Marantz and reading everything I could and I kept coming back to Denon. We don't listen to music, much, in our media space so sound for movies/TV was more important to us.

I considered the 7702mkii (Just for the fun of getting separates), but wanted the new audyssey app and couldn't afford the 7703 (need a 2016/17 model to get the audyssey app).

Highly recommend the 4300h.
great. thanks for the feedback!

Headless Petie
jbn008 is offline  
post #26 of 659 Old 02-07-2017, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
N8DOGG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Canada
Posts: 7,127
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1052 Post(s)
Liked: 1129
So I got my new x570 setup and rocking. After a few strange issues with my OPPO 203, everything is great now.
I have to admit, the low lag mode works awesome! I tried out some destiny and NHL 17, not noticeable at all! Low lag mode doesn't seem to change the PQ either.

PQ is the same as my x550 bit the extra features were worth the upgrade for me! All in one JVC.... Who would have thunk it! Lol
AMartin56 and mtbdudex like this.

Blasting brown notes for 10 years and counting!

N8DOGG is online now  
post #27 of 659 Old 02-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Northern California
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Where to buy?

Hi,

I currently have the Epson 5040UBE which I just purchased in November. It has too many issues with 4k / 60hz though and HDR so I am thinking of returning it (for a 600$ loss) and then ordering the JVC RS420.

I have a hard time finding an online store though that sells it. Where did you buy it from (in the US)?
Also, are there any lag issues with gaming or anything else that causes issues on this one?

Thanks!

Setup: EPSON 5040UBE, DENON 4200W, Philips BDP7501, ATMOS 5.1.4, PS4Pro
Whopper80 is offline  
post #28 of 659 Old 02-07-2017, 06:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whopper80 View Post
Hi,

I currently have the Epson 5040UBE which I just purchased in November. It has too many issues with 4k / 60hz though and HDR so I am thinking of returning it (for a 600$ loss) and then ordering the JVC RS420.

I have a hard time finding an online store though that sells it. Where did you buy it from (in the US)?
Also, are there any lag issues with gaming or anything else that causes issues on this one?

Thanks!
Mike Garrett from AV Science can assist you.

The 420 has a low latency mode. Works great.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Mike Garrett likes this.

Home Theater: JVC RS 420, Denon AVR-S920W, NHT Super Ones/Zeroes w/Ten Sub,
Sony BDP-S6500, Sony UBP-X800, and Monoprice 130 inch 2.35:1 White Material Screen
Living room: Sony 60NX720, VIZIO SB4051-C0 Other: Samsung 51F8500
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
AMartin56 is online now  
post #29 of 659 Old 02-07-2017, 07:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
AMartin56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1450 Post(s)
Liked: 717
So does anyone know the difference between Auto 1 and Auto 2 on the aperture setting? The description in the manual is a bit vague.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Home Theater: JVC RS 420, Denon AVR-S920W, NHT Super Ones/Zeroes w/Ten Sub,
Sony BDP-S6500, Sony UBP-X800, and Monoprice 130 inch 2.35:1 White Material Screen
Living room: Sony 60NX720, VIZIO SB4051-C0 Other: Samsung 51F8500
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
AMartin56 is online now  
post #30 of 659 Old 02-07-2017, 07:50 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
So does anyone know the difference between Auto 1 and Auto 2 on the aperture setting? The description in the manual is a bit vague.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
This might help. If it's the same as the RS400, and I'm sure it is, they recommend auto 2.

http://www.projectorreviews.com/jvc/...s-dynamic-iris
dkwilcox likes this.
Buddylee123 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off