Is screen size the only reason you own a projector? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 18Likes
post #1 of 33 Unread 02-11-2017, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1204 Post(s)
Liked: 330
Is screen size the only reason you own a projector?

Or are there other qualities of a projector that you prefer over TVs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Unread 02-11-2017, 11:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kain View Post
Reflected light certainly has a different quality than emitted light. A matter of personal preference I suppose.
post #3 of 33 Unread 02-11-2017, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 120
It is a totally difference experience watching a projected image/movie/concert vs. one on a display.

If you haven't experienced this you need to, but don't catch the disease!

post #4 of 33 Unread 02-11-2017, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Size of the image and characteristics. Just love a projected image
post #5 of 33 Unread 02-11-2017, 11:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 153
As the others say it's a different 'feel' watching reflected light (which make me laugh when I see posts about some projector being 'like a giant plasma').

The other thing is that I have a 2.40:1 screen, so I find it a nice 'fit' with using a 16:9 TV for day to day stuff as the great majority of my projector viewing seems to be 2.40:1 content. Even with a really good black level TV I'm still aware of the black bars when watching 2.40:1 content on a TV...not so on my projector.

"Don't believe everything you read on the internet". William Shakespeare 1615
post #6 of 33 Unread 02-11-2017, 03:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Watch a story through a little window, or be in the story..Which sound better?
MovieAddictUk likes this.

Doug
Planar PD8150 with DC4 DMD paired with a Dalite HP 2.8 110"
http://www.airscapesart.com

Last edited by airscapes; 02-11-2017 at 09:28 PM.
post #7 of 33 Unread 02-11-2017, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 999 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Screen size has a lot to do with it...As does the ability to watch widescreen movies without letterboxes. But I also find 16ftL or so in a dark room very soothing to watch. With flat panels I have to add bias lighting to avoid eye strain with long sessions at night as it can be tough to tame the brightness of most LED panels.
Highjinx likes this.
post #8 of 33 Unread 02-11-2017, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked: 1644
Screen size is the main attribute.

The filmic look is another (since I watch mostly movies, and grew up watching movies in the movie theaters). I also really like what a flat panel can do for some movies too. Though when I was into flat panels for some reason I was much more distracted in a videophile-like way, chasing a certain image quality. Once I moved to projection I just started enjoying the content much more. I've watched vastly more movies on my projection set up than I ever did on my plasma.

Another is the flexibility to alter the image size, via zooming/masking, to get the best combination of immersion and picture quality depending on the source.

I might have said "watching movies in the dark" as well, since that to me is a huge part of being immersed in a movie. But I would (and did) watch a flat panel in the dark as well.

Another bonus: along with the image size is the commensurate size of the surround sound. Big speaker set ups matched with much smaller flat panels always created a mismatch between the picture and sound for me. With the big screen image, I can enjoy the fuller bigger sound of larger, more full range speakers, and it feels "right" for the image.

Last edited by R Harkness; 02-11-2017 at 09:42 PM.
post #9 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
The screen can be totally invisible if not in use. There is no need to reserve space for it. A screen can be mounted in front of a window, a door or a cabinet. (I have experienced all these mounting alternatives in different rooms.)
post #10 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oh I forget: You can share a projector between your normal place of living and your holiday house. Only the screen and the speakers are needed twice.
post #11 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 06:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Size only
post #12 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Size only. As soon as there are 100" tvs availiable below 10k, Im out.
Herve and Sittler27 like this.
post #13 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 08:10 AM

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 5575 Post(s)
Liked: 3554
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Screen size, but also the whole presentation with nothing but image seen up front, since speakers and subs are not seen. They are hidden behind the AT screen and this ties the audio to the image very well. I like a big sound stage and that does not fit very well with a small screen.
shivaji likes this.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #14 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 08:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 932 Post(s)
Liked: 803
Screen size and the fact that you can get an acoustically transparent screen stick 3 JBL 4722's and a stack of subs behind it.
post #15 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 593 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Image size, immersion, cinema levels of image brightness and a scope screen - a tv doesn't have any of those attributes, so it's how I prefer to watch movies which I find is far more cinematic in presentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #16 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 109
There's nothing wrong with watching movies on TV,if its at least 65in,but like R Harkness said watching a movie on a projector is a different experience, being 63yrs old,it make me feel like a kid again!
reanimator likes this.
post #17 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 09:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Screen size, but also the whole presentation with nothing but image seen up front, since speakers and subs are not seen. They are hidden behind the AT screen and this ties the audio to the image very well. I like a big sound stage and that does not fit very well with a small screen.
Just as Mike said. AUDIO is the other reason to own a projector and AT screen.

The center channel can be directly behind the screen and results in superior panning of sound across the stage. I would not give this up for a better image since the image I get with a JVC projector and EN4K screen is so good. It could be better with a flat panel TV. But, in my opinion it would not be worth the trade off.

And I know you are looking for reasons "other than size". But, it cannot be overstated how much viewing angle plays in the overall immersion of your theater experience. I find that a 40-50 degree viewing angle is best and I prefer 45-50. To get this same immersion factor on a 65'' screen you would need to sit 5 feet from the screen to achieve a 50 degree viewing angle. Not many people are doing this with their flat panel TV's and are thus diminishing the theatrical experience.

Last edited by jedimastergrant; Yesterday at 09:47 AM.
post #18 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 09:33 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1703 Post(s)
Liked: 1321
For me, in addition the much larger screen size I have to echo Gary's comment viewing in scope and immersion. In addition, a LCoS/Q can just offer a more cinematic, natural image compared to a flat panel. The projected image with this technology just takes on a certain 'look' I've never seen on a flat panel including OLED.
post #19 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 09:39 AM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Some claim watching/playing on a VR headset is better than a projector, but I do not personally think so.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

post #20 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked: 1644
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholmes54 View Post
There's nothing wrong with watching movies on TV,if its at least 65in,but like R Harkness said watching a movie on a projector is a different experience, being 63yrs old,it make me feel like a kid again!
I know what you mean about feeling like a kid again. A big projected image can really bring back some of the sensations of viewing a movie when you were young.

For instance, I'd seen Jaws something like 25 times in the movie theaters (my favorite movie). Later I watched the DVD of Jaws many times on my CRT and then plasma screen. It was never the same. But once I saw it on a projection set up in a store, when investigating projectors, it changed the experience. For the first time I was experiencing it much as I did in the theaters. The shark actually looked big again, the way my eyes could scan the horizon almost like I was on the boat with the characters, just as it was when watching on the big cinema screens. It felt cinematic, again. I knew right then that I had to bring that experience home.

And this has been emphasized again and again. I think, for film-nuts, the fact we can see old movies on the big screen is as much or more a compelling experience as watching newer releases. I grew up watching King Kong (1933) on small CRT TVs and while it was great, last week I watched it again on my projection set up and it's just completely different.
It's like I could walk into the settings, and Kong no longer is the size of a small model, he is towering over me! So I get move of a sense of what audiences actually experienced when that film was released, when using a projector. In that sense a projector feels like a time machine for movie buffs.
post #21 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiggiUA View Post
Oh I forget: You can share a projector between your normal place of living and your holiday house. Only the screen and the speakers are needed twice.
Yes, a projector is much more portable than a 100" flat panel and that's great. But, as you say, you've got to either have two or more screens or move one to different locations and install it.

If you're moving from one neighborhood or city to another, which people do more and more nowadays, moving the screen and installing in a new abode is a one-time task. If you're moving a great distance, good luck preventing damage to the huge, expensive panel. But it's all doable.

Because a 100" panel will likely still be well under 100 lbs, the major problem will be getting the thing around corners, down or up stairs, etc. For example, in our home's case, I'd likely have to remove some drywall to get the thing into position and then re-install drywall, seam and paint it. My wife and I don't relish the thought, but for a one-shot deal we'd do it. OTOH, if large panels are made at least somewhat flexible, that would be a horse of a different color.

Also, because a panel's image will likely be brighter and more view-able in pretty bright light, we might install it upstairs rather than in the basement and use it as an everyday, all-in-one replacement for our 70". Then no "remodeling" necessary. In this case, to get the immersive effect of a large apparent image for movies, the chairs would have to be dragged closer to the screen. In our case, for a 100" wide panel, our two sets of eyes would want to be about 80 inches from the center-point of the panel. Most people would sit farther back than this even for a 65" TV, so unless the chairs/sofa can be easily slid around, a permanent room arrangement for that viewing distance is going to look a bit weird and cramped.

(Our present viewing distance of 96" from our 119"-diagonal Dalite HP 2.8-gain pull-down screen also looks a bit cramped, furniture-wise, but the viewing experience is fantastic. Whenever guests first see our HT, usually they sit down before anything's projected onto the screen. Almost invariably, as soon as they sit down they say something like "this is too close for me". But shortly after a movie starts they also invariably say "this is just like being in the theater! Fantastic!".)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HT.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	1961801  
post #22 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 274 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
Some claim watching/playing on a VR headset is better than a projector, but I do not personally think so.
Watching movies with VR glasses is something I can't stand the thought of for many reasons, one being that movie watching in many ways is an inherently social thing to me. There is an intangible energy shared among an audience watching a good movie together. Imagining a future where people go to the movies or get together at home to watch a film, only to strap on a pair of VR headsets and disappear into their own world, really would remove all of the magic of cinema entirely.
R Harkness likes this.

Last edited by kohe321; Yesterday at 03:21 PM.
post #23 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 10:10 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Screen size has a lot to do with it...As does the ability to watch widescreen movies without letterboxes. But I also find 16ftL or so in a dark room very soothing to watch. With flat panels I have to add bias lighting to avoid eye strain with long sessions at night as it can be tough to tame the brightness of most LED panels.
Agreed that's why OLED rules

Having said that I love my 10 feet wide StewartFilm Screen FireHawk G3 and my new projector JVC RS600

Their is something like feeling you are at the movies with better image and sound In addition, you don't have to put up with obnoxious audience, sticky floors, stinky food and so on...
post #24 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 10:14 AM
wse
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballis View Post
Size only. As soon as there are 100" tvs availiable below 10k, Im out.
Yes if it is an OLED

Might still keep the 10 feet wide Screen
post #25 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 10:29 AM

LG won't be producing OLED panels at sizes that will compete with projectors in HTs anytime soon, based on their current and planned production plants and what sizes they will be prioritizing in the coming years.

The day flat panel technology is available in sizes and prices that can compete with projectors in home theaters, projector technology will also have evolved to a point where it will likely hold it's own quite well. The tech that is in Dolby Cinemas right now could have trickled down to the HT realm by then. For larger installations, projection will probably remain the most cost effective and practical option with regards to setup.

Bottom line is that we'll have more options in the future, and I can imagine TV panel technologies entering the small to medium sized space, which will be cool. Whatever the reality is in ten years in 2027, as long as it's not VR headsets we're watching I'll be happy.
post #26 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 434 Post(s)
Liked: 109
IMHO VR headsets are for young people,I tried one once made this old man dizzy & nauseous! Harkness I too seen Jaws in theaters many times,drove 3 nights in a row,50miles one way to see it multiple times,but I was 22,loved that movie!

Last edited by dholmes54; Yesterday at 12:08 PM. Reason: More info
post #27 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
As others have mentioned, for me it's the difference between going to the movies and watching TV. I'm fortunate enough to have a dedicated theater room. I also have a 52" TV with 5.1 sound in the family room. (Unlike the theater, the family room is not light- or sound-controlled.) Sometimes we watch movies up there, but it's never the same.
post #28 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohe321 View Post
LG won't be producing OLED panels at sizes that will compete with projectors in HTs anytime soon, based on their current and planned production plants and what sizes they will be prioritizing in the coming years.

The day flat panel technology is available in sizes and prices that can compete with projectors in home theaters, projector technology will also have evolved to a point where it will likely hold it's own quite well. The tech that is in Dolby Cinemas right now could have trickled down to the HT realm by then. For larger installations, projection will probably remain the most cost effective and practical option with regards to setup.

Bottom line is that we'll have more options in the future, and I can imagine TV panel technologies entering the small to medium sized space, which will be cool. Whatever the reality is in ten years in 2027, as long as it's not VR headsets we're watching I'll be happy.
I did some "mild research" into this, and it looks like about 2035 - 2045 at least for SUPER big and affordable with good specs, according to some of the people in that field, so it's still a LONG ways off guys. You may get a 100" or so for around 10k much sooner than that, but 110"+ going to take a LONG time. They have a lot of problems to solve. Remember not to believe the people that do press releases or stock valuations, always listen to the CEO's as well as the top scientists and engineers opinions.

First they have to completely change the MFR process and MFR things at an almost quantum level, then they have to get that cost down. So it could even take longer than 15-25 years, but probably around then.
kohe321 likes this.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

Last edited by coderguy; Yesterday at 02:01 PM.
post #29 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1298 Post(s)
Liked: 864
Front projection is like going out to the movies, which represents a special event.

A TV of any size is like staying home and watching TV, which is a mundane, everyday occurrence.

I can't ever see myself not owning at least one of each.
kohe321 likes this.
post #30 of 33 Unread Yesterday, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Green View Post
Front projection is like going out to the movies, which represents a special event.

A TV of any size is like staying home and watching TV, which is a mundane, everyday occurrence.

I can't ever see myself not owning at least one of each.
Agreed, there is a sense of awe and "magic" with front projection. The thought of light being cast across the room from behind you manifesting itself on screen as an image is something quite special. It also makes watching movies feel more like an event as the screen just sits there completely white and blank before it starts, but then the lights go out and the projector switches on, and the once blank screen is turned into a window into another world.

That projection by its very nature requires you to turn off the lights and thus pay full attention to the movie just adds to the feeling of it being a more special event as well. With light emitting panels, turning off the light is merely an option. Because of all of this, watching movies becomes elevated to something a bit more special with a projector.

A personal note to add is that I feel the image you get from light reflecting off a surface produces a slightly more analog and cinematic look than TVs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP