Mitsubishi HC9000D vs Sony VPL-HW45ES - how do they compare? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
View Poll Results: Should I buy a brand new Sony VPL-HW45ES or a used Mitsubishi HC9000D?
Sony VPL-HW45ES for $2500 CAD 1 100.00%
Mitsubishi HC9000D for $1500 CAD 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By coderguy

Old Today, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Mitsubishi HC9000D vs Sony VPL-HW45ES - how do they compare?

I'm in the process of putting a home theater together and I'm trying to figure out what projector to buy .

I was dead-set on buying the Sony VPL-HW45ES brand new, as it seems to be hailed as the best projector for under $2000 USD (I would be paying $2500 CAD which would include a 3-year warranty).

Recently, however, I found a local A/V enthusiast selling a Mitsubishi HC9000D (released in 2011, MSRP was $9995 USD) for $1500 CAD with a new lamp, ceiling mount, and Darbee video processor included. All the reviews of the Mitsubishi seem positive and I'm wondering if it's better than the Sony, despite its age (he doesn't have it hooked up so I can't demo it).

My setup will be in a fully blacked-out room with no windows and all surfaces painted matte black with a screen no larger than 110" and a gain of 0.95-1.00. My usage will involve gaming, movies, and TV at 1080p (I will not be using 3D at all for either projector).

One other concern I had was the input lag on the Mitsubishi. I know the Sony has above average input lag making it good for games but I can't find any measurements for the Mitsubishi.

Should I also be concerned about the reliability of the Mitsubishi? Are there any components that would fail after several years of usage? Note that the seller of the Mitsubishi is a reputable seller on Canuck Audio Mart with several positive reviews.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	250525 (1).jpg
Views:	9
Size:	142.3 KB
ID:	1977809   Click image for larger version

Name:	jtigli9marrjappgcrmk.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	117.0 KB
ID:	1977817  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Today, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonYoung View Post
I'm in the process of putting a home theater together and I'm trying to figure out what projector to buy .

I was dead-set on buying the Sony VPL-HW45ES brand new, as it seems to be hailed as the best projector for under $2000 USD (I would be paying $2500 CAD which would include a 3-year warranty).

Should I also be concerned about the reliability of the Mitsubishi? Are there any components that would fail after several years of usage? Note that the seller of the Mitsubishi is a reputable seller on Canuck Audio Mart with several positive reviews.
I would go with the VPL-HW45es, better calibration controls and newer features, and I assume a better warranty for you.
Otherwise, your other potential choice is a 2 projector solution, such as a used JVC for movies and a cheapo DLP for gaming. I wouldn't even consider the Mits for that price...

If you wanted to up your budget a few more hundred, you can also look at a JVC RS-420, it has a low lag gaming mode.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

Old Today, 12:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked: 416
I agree on the Sony. I'd be leery of a local projector purchase that 'can't be demo'd'. That sounds absurd. Plug it in and shoot it at a wall for crissakes!

But unless I'm missing something the RS420 is considerably more expensive than a 45ES. Mine sure was!

Old Today, 12:39 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I agree on the Sony. I'd be leery of a local projector purchase that 'can't be demo'd'. That sounds absurd. Plug it in and shoot it at a wall for crissakes!

But unless I'm missing something the RS420 is considerably more expensive than a 45ES. Mine sure was!
Yes, I should have said WAY up your budget 1.5k or more
AMartin56 likes this.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

Old Today, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post

Pardon me, when I said it can't be demo'ed, I meant that it's not currently set up as his main projector. I certainly could point it at a wall to test it out, just not at an actual screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
HC9000D , Mitsubishi , projector , Sony , VPL-HW45ES