new Monoprice SlimRun AV HDR optical HDMI - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
alpin3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
new Monoprice SlimRun AV HDR optical HDMI

Anyone bite yet..?

Probably not the right forum, but this applies to high end projectors more than anything..

Hopefully this is promising, a new generation active optical HDMI
I'd love to run a 75 foot hdmi from my main PC rig to my AVR and projector.. All the silence.. with all the benefits of a powerful rig doing the 4K madVR upscaling and rendering

SlimRun AV HDR Cable for HDMI Enabled Devices, 4K@60Hz, YUV4:4:4
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21567
alpin3r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 11:28 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpin3r View Post
Anyone bite yet..?

Probably not the right forum, but this applies to high end projectors more than anything..

Hopefully this is promising, a new generation active optical HDMI
I'd love to run a 75 foot hdmi from my main PC rig to my AVR and projector.. All the silence.. with all the benefits of a powerful rig doing the 4K madVR upscaling and rendering

SlimRun AV HDR Cable for HDMI Enabled Devices, 4K@60Hz, YUV4:4:4
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21567
Looks like they will be tested soon.

UHD Blu-ray and Long HDMI cables - what works !
Buddylee123 is offline  
post #3 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 02:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,158
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpin3r View Post
Anyone bite yet..?



Probably not the right forum, but this applies to high end projectors more than anything..



Hopefully this is promising, a new generation active optical HDMI

I'd love to run a 75 foot hdmi from my main PC rig to my AVR and projector.. All the silence.. with all the benefits of a powerful rig doing the 4K madVR upscaling and rendering



SlimRun AV HDR Cable for HDMI Enabled Devices, 4K@60Hz, YUV4:4:4

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21567


Considering I get ground loops from my PC thought the video card's HDMI when rendering video if this works it will be interesting.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf Net
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES | My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings | My MadVR Settings
Javs is online now  
 
post #4 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,425
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6116 Post(s)
Liked: 3928
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
I am looking into getting one.
Javs likes this.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #5 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 04:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,158
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I am looking into getting one.
Yeah I might just bite the bullet too.

This ground loop is annoying, I would love to totally fix it. I have reduced in volume byu grounding all my chassis together, so I cant hear from the chair, despite that you can hear it with ears up to the drivers... All goes away and utterly silent when the HDMI cable is disconnected from my HTPC...

I just posted a question asking them to confirm there is ZERO copper whatsoever in the signal path. Once they confirm I will buy one. I have heard of some older style cables still having some copper in there along side fiber.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf Net
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES | My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings | My MadVR Settings
Javs is online now  
post #6 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Yeah I might just bite the bullet too.

This ground loop is annoying, I would love to totally fix it. I have reduced in volume byu grounding all my chassis together, so I cant hear from the chair, despite that you can hear it with ears up to the drivers... All goes away and utterly silent when the HDMI cable is disconnected from my HTPC...

I just posted a question asking them to confirm there is ZERO copper whatsoever in the signal path. Once they confirm I will buy one. I have heard of some older style cables still having some copper in there along side fiber.
Why the hum from the HTPC? What kind of power supply are you using?
Buddylee123 is offline  
post #7 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 04:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,158
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
Why the hum from the HTPC? What kind of power supply are you using?
A very good 1kw one from a major brand. Not an HTPC per se, its my main desktop computer off to the side of all my gear, connected to over 3kw worth of power amps and receivers and such. The loop remains even after moving house etc...

Lets not get into it...

Its a ground loop through the HDMI shielding. End of story.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf Net
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES | My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings | My MadVR Settings
Javs is online now  
post #8 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 05:37 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,425
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6116 Post(s)
Liked: 3928
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
A very good 1kw one from a major brand. Not an HTPC per se, its my main desktop computer off to the side of all my gear, connected to over 3kw worth of power amps and receivers and such. The loop remains even after moving house etc...

Lets not get into it...

Its a ground loop through the HDMI shielding. End of story.
Do you have cable TV connected to your system? If so, try disconnecting that coax cable.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #9 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 05:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,158
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
Do you have cable TV connected to your system? If so, try disconnecting that coax cable.
Nope.

Lets just trust that I have looked into it enough to know this will totally fix my issue. It IS the HDMI shielding jacket on the cable going from my HTPC to the Marantz Pre-Pro

I have tried different video cards, multiple power boards, power sockets etc... Hell, even moved house 100km away.

I have fixed the loop. I ended up grounding all my amps AND htpc together using wire. Or, I should say what used to be audible from the chair while a movie was playing (Only occurred when my video card hit 75% load through MadVR) is now not audible from the chair, so I have lessened the noise by 90%, but that other 10% is still there and I dont like that distortion adding to my sound, I know you would understand this Mike and I am sure it would be in the back of your mind at all times like it is for me

A fiber HDMI cable will completely break the loop entirely.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf Net
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES | My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings | My MadVR Settings
Javs is online now  
post #10 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,425
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6116 Post(s)
Liked: 3928
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Nope.

Lets just trust that I have looked into it enough to know this will totally fix my issue. It IS the HDMI shielding jacket on the cable going from my HTPC to the Marantz Pre-Pro

I have tried different video cards, multiple power boards, power sockets etc... Hell, even moved house 100km away.

I have fixed the loop. I ended up grounding all my amps AND htpc together using wire. Or, I should say what used to be audible from the chair while a movie was playing (Only occurred when my video card hit 75% load through MadVR) is now not audible from the chair, so I have lessened the noise by 90%, but that other 10% is still there and I dont like that distortion adding to my sound, I know you would understand this Mike and I am sure it would be in the back of your mind at all times like it is for me

A fiber HDMI cable will completely break the loop entirely.
That may keep it from getting to the HTPC, but cable system grounding is notorious for causing ground loops. That is why I suggested disconnecting, then if it is the cable company, pretty easy to filter out.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #11 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 06:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,158
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
That may keep it from getting to the HTPC, but cable system grounding is notorious for causing ground loops. That is why I suggested disconnecting, then if it is the cable company, pretty easy to filter out.
I dont have Cable or any Coax, or even Aerial TV of any kind though.

Otherwise every other device other than my htpc is on the same power-strip thus the same ground wire to the wall.

I even tried the HTPC on the same power-strip (Did I mention I tried everything) and no go.

Because its a video card introducing the noise, and only under load (I also tried multiple video cards) I think this is a unique situation for Nvidia cards, kind of like coil whine.

I don't think the issue is it getting to the PC, I think the issue is the PC is creating it. If I disconnect that HDMI cable to my AVR, I have completely and utterly silent gear. Zero noise whatsoever even with my ear right up to the TPL-150. Oddly if I also disconnect the projector HDMI, noise gone too, but useless scenarios though.

I also know the PC is causing it because it literally only begins when I hit play on a film through MadVR which puts heavy load on my GPU and PSU (Which is actually 1kw so by heavy load I mean 250w max), and I can even MUTE my AVR and the noise is still there with content playing. With all the grounding chassis wires in my system the noise becomes super minimal, I can only hear it slightly if I mute all my gear, but I want it 100% gone.

Anyway, the fiber cable will fix it I know that much is certain since the noise completely vanishes when I unplug the PC HDMI cable. And the muting confirms this is a proper ground loop and not just noise added to the HDMI signal otherwise I should also be able to mute that noise.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf Net
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES | My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings | My MadVR Settings
Javs is online now  
post #12 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I dont have Cable or any Coax, or even Aerial TV of any kind though.

Otherwise every other device other than my htpc is on the same power-strip thus the same ground wire to the wall.

I even tried the HTPC on the same power-strip (Did I mention I tried everything) and no go.

Because its a video card introducing the noise, and only under load (I also tried multiple video cards) I think this is a unique situation for Nvidia cards, kind of like coil whine.

I don't think the issue is it getting to the PC, I think the issue is the PC is creating it. If I disconnect that HDMI cable to my AVR, I have completely and utterly silent gear. Zero noise whatsoever even with my ear right up to the TPL-150. Oddly if I also disconnect the projector HDMI, noise gone too, but useless scenarios though.

I also know the PC is causing it because it literally only begins when I hit play on a film through MadVR which puts heavy load on my GPU and PSU (Which is actually 1kw so by heavy load I mean 250w max), and I can even MUTE my AVR and the noise is still there with content playing. With all the grounding chassis wires in my system the noise becomes super minimal, I can only hear it slightly if I mute all my gear, but I want it 100% gone.

Anyway, the fiber cable will fix it I know that much is certain since the noise completely vanishes when I unplug the PC HDMI cable. And the muting confirms this is a proper ground loop and not just noise added to the HDMI signal otherwise I should also be able to mute that noise.
Probably is coil whine, it's a common problem with video cards. Have you tried water cooling the card?
Buddylee123 is offline  
post #13 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 06:52 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,425
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6116 Post(s)
Liked: 3928
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I dont have Cable or any Coax, or even Aerial TV of any kind though.

Otherwise every other device other than my htpc is on the same power-strip thus the same ground wire to the wall.

I even tried the HTPC on the same power-strip (Did I mention I tried everything) and no go.

Because its a video card introducing the noise, and only under load (I also tried multiple video cards) I think this is a unique situation for Nvidia cards, kind of like coil whine.

I don't think the issue is it getting to the PC, I think the issue is the PC is creating it. If I disconnect that HDMI cable to my AVR, I have completely and utterly silent gear. Zero noise whatsoever even with my ear right up to the TPL-150. Oddly if I also disconnect the projector HDMI, noise gone too, but useless scenarios though.

I also know the PC is causing it because it literally only begins when I hit play on a film through MadVR which puts heavy load on my GPU and PSU (Which is actually 1kw so by heavy load I mean 250w max), and I can even MUTE my AVR and the noise is still there with content playing. With all the grounding chassis wires in my system the noise becomes super minimal, I can only hear it slightly if I mute all my gear, but I want it 100% gone.

Anyway, the fiber cable will fix it I know that much is certain since the noise completely vanishes when I unplug the PC HDMI cable. And the muting confirms this is a proper ground loop and not just noise added to the HDMI signal otherwise I should also be able to mute that noise.
As long as no copper, fiber optic will be your friend.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #14 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 06:55 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,158
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
Probably is coil whine, it's a common problem with video cards. Have you tried water cooling the card?
Ive tried two different generations of video cards. Water cooling will do nothing.

The cards I use actually have cooling just as effective as water cooling (At least my older card did and that still produced the same noise).

Also the sound is there literally the split second I hit play on a video so heat is not a factor.

Guys, I don't want to trouble shoot this anymore, I know the source of the problem, I have spent weeks on the issue earlier and mitigated it enough so that I could wait for fiber cables to come down in price enough at non ridiculous cable lengths to finally get rid of it.

Looks like this cable is for me.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf Net
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES | My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings | My MadVR Settings
Javs is online now  
post #15 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 07:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 380
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 199 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
Ive tried two different generations of video cards. Water cooling will do nothing.

The cards I use actually have cooling just as effective as water cooling (At least my older card did and that still produced the same noise).

Also the sound is there literally the split second I hit play on a video so heat is not a factor.

Guys, I don't want to trouble shoot this anymore, I know the source of the problem, I have spent weeks on the issue earlier and mitigated it enough so that I could wait for fiber cables to come down in price enough at non ridiculous cable lengths to finally get rid of it.

Looks like this cable is for me.
I think you need to hit that buy button and let us know how they are. I might pick one up just because I hate how thick and stiff the certified premium cables are.
Buddylee123 is offline  
post #16 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 13,864
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3198 Post(s)
Liked: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
I just posted a question asking them to confirm there is ZERO copper whatsoever in the signal path.
That not possible based on their claims. If it is powered only from the sink side (as they claim) it has to run power and ground (at a minimum) from the sink side to the source to power some circuitry. That means there's a common ground for the two sides. Further, for ARC, Ethernet, and even other basic features like EDID to work it also needs bidirectional communication. So either it is a bidirectional fiber optic setup (dual strand or something more exotic), or it has some copper in addition to one way fiber from the source to the sink.
Javs likes this.
Stereodude is offline  
post #17 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 08:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Javs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Sydney
Posts: 3,158
Mentioned: 135 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked: 2066
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
That not possible based on their claims. If it is powered only from the sink side (as they claim) it has to run power and ground (at a minimum) from the sink side to the source to power some circuitry. That means there's a common ground for the two sides. Further, for ARC, Ethernet, and even other basic features like EDID to work it also needs bidirectional communication. So either it is a bidirectional fiber optic setup (dual strand or something more exotic), or it has some copper in addition to one way fiber from the source to the sink.
Thanks,

Was not going to purchase until they at least answered my question.

How do the Celerity cables work? 100% fibre?

It does say this:

Immune to electromagnetic and RF interference

I wonder if that can extend to grounding loops too. I suppose thats not my issue.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf Net
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES | My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings | My MadVR Settings
Javs is online now  
post #18 of 44 Old 04-05-2017, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 13,864
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3198 Post(s)
Liked: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
It does say this:

Immune to electromagnetic and RF interference
I'd be pretty sure that's just referring to the main TMDS pairs that are put on the fiber (which contain the video and audio [not ARC]).
Stereodude is offline  
post #19 of 44 Old 04-13-2017, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
alpin3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I purchased the 75 foot length and can confirm that it is indeed passing a 4K 60hz signal from my PC and oppo 203

As for ground loop issues.. there has to be copper in there, right? How else would the display end of the cable convert the optical signal back to digital hdmi?
alpin3r is offline  
post #20 of 44 Old 04-13-2017, 12:51 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Mike Garrett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 17,425
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6116 Post(s)
Liked: 3928
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpin3r View Post
I purchased the 75 foot length and can confirm that it is indeed passing a 4K 60hz signal from my PC and oppo 203

As for ground loop issues.. there has to be copper in there, right? How else would the display end of the cable convert the optical signal back to digital hdmi?
I finally got around to ordering the 50' today.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Mike Garrett is offline  
post #21 of 44 Old 04-13-2017, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,789
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I finally got around to ordering the 50' today.
Looking forward to you putting it through the paces. I am re-arranging my HT and will need a replacement for my Celerity Fiber Opic HDMI cable (after I sell it).

Ron

Audio Garage Sale: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...l#post52653233
HDBaseT (1080P) HDMI Cable extender Kit: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-vi...l#post52653465
Celerity 60' FiberOptic/HDMI 4k cable $150 http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-vi...l#post52653585
rboster is offline  
post #22 of 44 Old 04-13-2017, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mobius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Wonder if this will pass 48G (48Gbps) HDMI 2.1? The site only mentions 18Gbps.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
mobius is offline  
post #23 of 44 Old 04-14-2017, 03:17 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
... How do the Celerity cables work? 100% fibre?

It does say this:

Immune to electromagnetic and RF interference

I wonder if that can extend to grounding loops too. I suppose thats not my issue.
I have the same your issue, I guess monoprice it's an hybrid and it won't work.
Celerity it's an OFNP, no conductive components inside. They will not confirm by e-mail that it will solve groud loop issues but I am hopeful and probably I will buy one.
It's not cheap but it supports 18 gbps and other hdmi/fiber converters that do the same cost a lot more.
loudnoisesss is offline  
post #24 of 44 Old 04-14-2017, 04:02 AM
Advanced Member
 
Luke M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
That not possible based on their claims. If it is powered only from the sink side (as they claim) it has to run power and ground (at a minimum) from the sink side to the source to power some circuitry.
That's very likely, but it's possible they are stealing power from the sink (contrary to HDMI specifications).

If somebody has the cable, put an ohm meter on the two HDMI connectors (the outside, not the pins) and see if there's continuity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
That means there's a common ground for the two sides. Further, for ARC, Ethernet, and even other basic features like EDID to work it also needs bidirectional communication. So either it is a bidirectional fiber optic setup (dual strand or something more exotic), or it has some copper in addition to one way fiber from the source to the sink.
Probably neither. The cheapest solution would be to make it unidirectional. No ARC, fake EDID.
Luke M is offline  
post #25 of 44 Old 04-14-2017, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Stereodude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Detroit Metro Area
Posts: 13,864
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3198 Post(s)
Liked: 2337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
That's very likely, but it's possible they are stealing power from the sink (contrary to HDMI specifications).

If somebody has the cable, put an ohm meter on the two HDMI connectors (the outside, not the pins) and see if there's continuity.

Probably neither. The cheapest solution would be to make it unidirectional. No ARC, fake EDID.
There's no way they could get the cable certified if they did what you've described. Further, it wouldn't work for most people if all those corners were cut.
Stereodude is offline  
post #26 of 44 Old 04-14-2017, 04:38 AM
Advanced Member
 
Luke M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 878
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
There's no way they could get the cable certified if they did what you've described. Further, it wouldn't work for most people if all those corners were cut.
Who said it was certified?
Luke M is offline  
post #27 of 44 Old 04-14-2017, 04:48 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,789
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke M View Post
Who said it was certified?
My understanding from the previous link to another AVS thread was it was in the processing of being certified.

Audio Garage Sale: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...l#post52653233
HDBaseT (1080P) HDMI Cable extender Kit: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-vi...l#post52653465
Celerity 60' FiberOptic/HDMI 4k cable $150 http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-vi...l#post52653585
rboster is offline  
post #28 of 44 Old 04-14-2017, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rboster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,789
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked: 898
Today (4/14) only Monoprice is offering a coupon Bunny20 for $20 off $100 purchase.
TrendSetterX likes this.

Audio Garage Sale: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/209-au...l#post52653233
HDBaseT (1080P) HDMI Cable extender Kit: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-vi...l#post52653465
Celerity 60' FiberOptic/HDMI 4k cable $150 http://www.avsforum.com/forum/210-vi...l#post52653585
rboster is offline  
post #29 of 44 Old 04-18-2017, 07:10 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
stanger89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Marion, IA
Posts: 21,567
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2932 Post(s)
Liked: 1533
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius View Post
Wonder if this will pass 48G (48Gbps) HDMI 2.1? The site only mentions 18Gbps.
48Gbps is a new cable:
"...increased bandwidth with a new 48G cable."
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_1/
stanger89 is offline  
post #30 of 44 Old 04-21-2017, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
mobius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Well, I just ordered the 50 footer. We'll see how it works.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
mobius is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off