UHD/HDR troubleshooting on DLA-X770 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By stanger89
  • 1 Post By stanger89
  • 1 Post By stanger89

post #1 of 14 Old 04-08-2017, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
UHD/HDR troubleshooting on DLA-X770

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this request, but I guess it's more video-related than audio related.

I recently updated my projector to a DLA-X770 and BDP to an Oppo UDP-203. Previously, I had older non-UHD JVC and Oppo. Everything is running through an Anthem MRX-1120. Prior to the upgrades, everything worked well.

The problem I have is that I get no picture from the PJ when using the Oppo, regardless of output resolution. I can't even get the setup menu or screensaver. The Anthem seems to lock on at the correct resolution, but I get a blank screen from the PJ. Other 1080p sources run through the Anthem work fine. Also, connecting the PJ directly to the BDP works, though I'm not sure I'm getting HDR. I see 4k on the projector, but 8-bit color and no indication of HDR (I'm not sure if there should be).

The Anthem and Oppo are both running the latest firmware. The PJ is one revision older than the latest. I couldn't find any notes about what the new firmware addresses.

I've swapped HDMI cables between the BDP and Anthem but that didn't help. I tried setting a fixed output resolution on the Oppo but that didn't help either.

Before I run a new cable from the Anthem to the PJ (which is a pain because it's 35' through walls and ceilings), is there anything else I can try that I'm forgetting?

(I realize that I can use the dual HDMI outputs of the Oppo and not switch video through the Anthem, but that still requires running a new HDMI and also will involve some control system reprogramming, which I'd like to avoid.)
- Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-08-2017, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 3380 Post(s)
Liked: 2887
Quote:
Originally Posted by dth122 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this request, but I guess it's more video-related than audio related.

I recently updated my projector to a DLA-X770 and BDP to an Oppo UDP-203. Previously, I had older non-UHD JVC and Oppo. Everything is running through an Anthem MRX-1120. Prior to the upgrades, everything worked well.

The problem I have is that I get no picture from the PJ when using the Oppo, regardless of output resolution. I can't even get the setup menu or screensaver. The Anthem seems to lock on at the correct resolution, but I get a blank screen from the PJ. Other 1080p sources run through the Anthem work fine. Also, connecting the PJ directly to the BDP works, though I'm not sure I'm getting HDR. I see 4k on the projector, but 8-bit color and no indication of HDR (I'm not sure if there should be).

The Anthem and Oppo are both running the latest firmware. The PJ is one revision older than the latest. I couldn't find any notes about what the new firmware addresses.

I've swapped HDMI cables between the BDP and Anthem but that didn't help. I tried setting a fixed output resolution on the Oppo but that didn't help either.

Before I run a new cable from the Anthem to the PJ (which is a pain because it's 35' through walls and ceilings), is there anything else I can try that I'm forgetting?

(I realize that I can use the dual HDMI outputs of the Oppo and not switch video through the Anthem, but that still requires running a new HDMI and also will involve some control system reprogramming, which I'd like to avoid.)
- Dave
So, lets get this straight, when you run over 35ft worth of cable, you don't get an image on the Oppo while its connected to the Anthem.

When you bypass the 35ft run you DO get an image?

Bad cable, sounds like it does not pass 18gbps signals, and at that distance it wouldn't surprise me for a second. The oppo menu is an 18gbps signal as far as I recall, unless they changed it.

Try and get a 1080p bluray to play and then connect everything up and see if it works, that wont be an 18gbps signal then.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 & Sony 320ES | My MadVR Settings
post #3 of 14 Old 04-08-2017, 09:21 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 7063 Post(s)
Liked: 4772
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
I agree. Take a short premium certified cable direct from Oppo to projector. Once you confirm that works, you can either go through the avr, using the short premium certified cable to the projector to confirm or buy a fiber optic cable that will actually do 18Gbps.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html

post #4 of 14 Old 04-08-2017, 10:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Garrett View Post
I agree. Take a short premium certified cable direct from Oppo to projector. Once you confirm that works, you can either go through the avr, using the short premium certified cable to the projector to confirm or buy a fiber optic cable that will actually do 18Gbps.
I don't think I explained myself clearly. When I connect the 35' cable to the Oppo directly, I get 4k on the projector - both for the menu and for UHD discs. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to get indications for 10-bit color or HDR also, so I can't say if I have those.

When I connect the Oppo to the Anthem and the Anthem to the projector (using the same 35' cable), that's when I get no picture.

I could test connecting the Oppo directly to the projector with a shorter cable, but I'm not sure what that will tell me.
- Dave
post #5 of 14 Old 04-09-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
I don't think I explained myself clearly. When I connect the 35' cable to the Oppo directly, I get 4k on the projector - both for the menu and for UHD discs. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to get indications for 10-bit color or HDR also, so I can't say if I have those.

When I connect the Oppo to the Anthem and the Anthem to the projector (using the same 35' cable), that's when I get no picture.

I could test connecting the Oppo directly to the projector with a shorter cable, but I'm not sure what that will tell me.
- Dave
Earlier, you said you were getting 8 bit. Your problem is the cable. Test with short premium certified HDMI cables and you will find that everything works. Then buy a celerity fiber optic cable and at 35' it will work. Once you go past 30', it is hard to find anything beside fiber optic that works.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

post #6 of 14 Old 04-10-2017, 09:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Earlier, you said you were getting 8 bit. Your problem is the cable. Test with short premium certified HDMI cables and you will find that everything works. Then buy a celerity fiber optic cable and at 35' it will work. Once you go past 30', it is hard to find anything beside fiber optic that works.
I'll give it a shot. That was my original assumption anyway. My hesitation was because I get better performance without the AVR in the chain. That's what has me concerned that it's more than a cabling issue.
post #7 of 14 Old 04-11-2017, 05:15 AM

Quote:
I'll give it a shot. That was my original assumption anyway. My hesitation was because I get better performance without the AVR in the chain. That's what has me concerned that it's more than a cabling issue.
Check to see if you have the Anthem doing any scaling. You want it to just pass the signal through.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

post #8 of 14 Old 04-11-2017, 10:39 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3676 Post(s)
Liked: 2046
Quote:
Just because a cable works between two devices doesn't mean it will work between different devices. It sounds like you've got a marginal cable, and the Oppo's signal is stronger (or possibly less demanding in it's waveform shape) and thus the projector can pick it up, where as the Anthem's output is enough different that the projector can't pick it up.

As other's have said, it's not really surprising a 35' cable doesn't work. I think BJC's longest Premium Certified cable is 25'. Beyond 25' you basically need to get into exotic, active and/or optical cables.

Quote:
Check to see if you have the Anthem doing any scaling. You want it to just pass the signal through.
That's easy, the Anthem's don't have video processors and don't modify the signal in any way (other than dropping the OSD on it).
Mike Garrett likes this.
post #9 of 14 Old 04-15-2017, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Replaced with a Celerity cable and all is well now.

I am noticing some noise in the UHD picture. I haven't watched enough of it so see if it's the projector or the content itself, but turning up the NR a few clicks seems to clean it up. I wouldn't have expected that I need to do that.
- Dave
post #10 of 14 Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a similar dilemma and equipment. Oppo 203, Anthem AVM 60, and JVC DLA X550R. I've had my projector professionally calibrated prior to the arrival of the 203 and my picture looks absolutely stunning on all of my devices to include 4k on the Roku. Even after calibration (one of the best calibrators in the business who has done it all), the picture quality is horrible with 4K HDR blu rays. Zero pop, faces are washed out, colors no where near on par with what I get on bluray using the 203 or my Oppo 105D. Standard blu rays look insane as does the 4k streaming from the Roku (non HDR). My cable is Audioquest Pearl and my receipt says 12M HDMI cable. With my calibrator here, no matter what changes we tried to input on the JVC (hence sliding the controls of color, contrast, etc.) it made little to no difference in picture quality. My 1080P blu rays look far superior. Have even tried running Audioquest Pearl cable directly from pj to the 203 which resulted in the same poor image quality when playing 4k UHD HDR discs. I have ordered a Monoprice certified premium 25ft cable just to experiment and see if my cable is the culprit. If that does work, I am concerned that the cable won't be long enough to run through my ceiling and back to my equipment as I've had everything professionally installed. Another challenge is accessing the rear of my projector which is mounted near flush to my vicoustic sound panels as that's the distance the projector needed to be at for the proper throw distance for my dedicated room. I will need my installers to address this. Any assistance gentlemen would be greatly appreciated! So frustrated right now!

Processor: Anthem AVM 60, BluRay: Oppo 105D & Oppo 203, Amps: Rotel RMB 1095 & Rotel RMB 1555, Speakers: B&W 804S, B&W HTM3 center, Atmos: Golden Ear Invisa HTR 7000's, Surrounds, Definitive Technology Studio Monitor 350's, Subs: Definitive Technology Super Cube 1, PowerSound Audio S1500, Projector: JVC DLA X550RB, Screen: Stewart Filmscreen Deluxe Screenwall 2:35:1 screen, Power Conditioner: Panamax 5300EX, Media/Gaming: Apple TV (4th gen), Roku4, Xbox One, PS4 Pro. Remote: Control4 EA1
post #11 of 14 Old 04-21-2017, 04:41 AM

If' you're getting a stable picture, with no dropouts sparkles, etc, then you do not have a cable problem. There is no point buying or changing cables.

No offense to your calibrator but he's clearly not "done it all", as calibrating HDR, especially on the last two generations of JVCs is not an easy thing. You've got a calibration problem plain and simple.

First off, start here:
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html

In the grand scheme of things, those settings aren't ideal, but they should get you something decent/watchable.

After that you've got some reading to do, you'll want to start understanding how to calibrate HDR, the biggest development was custom gamma curves:
JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models (X9000,X7000,X5000,RS400,RS500,RS600)

You'll also want to check out Javs' settings:
Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

And there's a ton of info in the last few hundred pages of the RS600 thread.
Dave Harper likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-21-2017, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykjones View Post
I have a similar dilemma and equipment. Oppo 203, Anthem AVM 60, and JVC DLA X550R. I've had my projector professionally calibrated prior to the arrival of the 203 and my picture looks absolutely stunning on all of my devices to include 4k on the Roku. Even after calibration (one of the best calibrators in the business who has done it all), the picture quality is horrible with 4K HDR blu rays. Zero pop, faces are washed out, colors no where near on par with what I get on bluray using the 203 or my Oppo 105D. Standard blu rays look insane as does the 4k streaming from the Roku (non HDR). My cable is Audioquest Pearl and my receipt says 12M HDMI cable. With my calibrator here, no matter what changes we tried to input on the JVC (hence sliding the controls of color, contrast, etc.) it made little to no difference in picture quality. My 1080P blu rays look far superior. Have even tried running Audioquest Pearl cable directly from pj to the 203 which resulted in the same poor image quality when playing 4k UHD HDR discs. I have ordered a Monoprice certified premium 25ft cable just to experiment and see if my cable is the culprit. If that does work, I am concerned that the cable won't be long enough to run through my ceiling and back to my equipment as I've had everything professionally installed. Another challenge is accessing the rear of my projector which is mounted near flush to my vicoustic sound panels as that's the distance the projector needed to be at for the proper throw distance for my dedicated room. I will need my installers to address this. Any assistance gentlemen would be greatly appreciated! So frustrated right now!
Back of your projector nearly flush with your panel can certainly cause a heating problem. Specs call for 8" of space behind the projector. Many people run less, but you do need some space, since most of the cooling intake is on the back of the projector.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

post #13 of 14 Old 04-21-2017, 05:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 3380 Post(s)
Liked: 2887
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
If' you're getting a stable picture, with no dropouts sparkles, etc, then you do not have a cable problem. There is no point buying or changing cables.

No offense to your calibrator but he's clearly not "done it all", as calibrating HDR, especially on the last two generations of JVCs is not an easy thing. You've got a calibration problem plain and simple.

First off, start here:
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/d...rs400_uhd.html

In the grand scheme of things, those settings aren't ideal, but they should get you something decent/watchable.

After that you've got some reading to do, you'll want to start understanding how to calibrate HDR, the biggest development was custom gamma curves:
JVC Calibration Software V6 For 2015 Models (X9000,X7000,X5000,RS400,RS500,RS600)

You'll also want to check out Javs' settings:
Official JVC RS600 / RS500 (X950R / X750R - X9000 / X7000) Owners Thread

And there's a ton of info in the last few hundred pages of the RS600 thread.

You are talking about the wrong projector

The 770R will do fantastic HDR out of the box with no settings needed and approx a 2000nit clipping point.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 & Sony 320ES | My MadVR Settings
post #14 of 14 Old 04-21-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javs View Post
You are talking about the wrong projector

The 770R will do fantastic HDR out of the box with no settings needed and approx a 2000nit clipping point.
ykjones has an X550/RS400, I was responding to that post (I suppose I could have quoted it, but it didn't seem necessary at the time).
Javs likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page