"Big Picture": projector versus VR headset - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Craig Peer
  • 1 Post By stanger89

Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 34
"Big Picture": projector versus VR headset

I'm going to risk going OT here.

Have any of you JVC projector owners tried watching movies on the new VR headsets and, if so, what do you think of what you see with the headset versus what you see on the screen with your projector?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
Home Theater Lover

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 3343 Post(s)
Liked: 3309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post

Have any of you JVC projector owners tried watching movies on the new VR headsets and, if so, what do you think of what you see with the headset versus what you see on the screen with your projector?

Thanks.
I can't find my wine glass !

Tom Bley likes this.

Current home theater photos - http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2386514

craigpeer@earthlink.net

Last edited by Craig Peer; Yesterday at 11:15 AM.
Old Yesterday, 11:16 AM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked: 210
When I watch movies with my Vive I feel nausea and I see a lot of pixels. Movie watching via goggles is still a gimmick. Not to say in years to come that won't change but the here and now....why is this question in the 3k+ forum? :-)

Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ix View Post
.why is this question in the 3k+ forum? :-)
Because I wanted to get the most critical opinion of the VR experience and, boy, the people in this forum are about as critical as they get.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

You should have titled this: "Vive, Rift, or RS620 for best movie experience?" It would have been more fun that way.

What I am saying is this is a ridiculous question
Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

What I am saying is this is a ridiculous question
I guess I've gotten my answer.
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2869 Post(s)
Liked: 1496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herve View Post

Thanks.
I can see some use cases, like if you're watching alone, and you've got family/neighbors and you have to keep things quiet. But for me, half the fun of an HT is having friends and family over to enjoy it, I don't see how VR fits into that somewhat social experience.

VR makes a lot more sense for games IMO.
Craig Peer likes this.
Old Yesterday, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

I frequently watch movies in our HT by myself. For at least 20 years I've also been interested in the so-far-theoretical potential of displays placed close to the eyes to perhaps provide the immersive, big picture effect that an image projected onto a large screen has provided to probably billions of viewers since close the beginning of "motion pictures".

I was thinking that the Johnny-come-lately VR headsets for Samsung phones are pretty interesting, so I checked Youtube for some recent reviews of this combination.

My wife and I have the Note 4 and its display is mind-boggling, but it has "only" 1440 x 2560 pixels http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note_4-6434.php
so I can already guess at some potential resolution issues in the form of noticeable screen door.

However, the new Samsung Note 8 supposedly has a high-contrast, 3840 x 2160 pixel display, which IMO is an amazing technological feat in and of itself.
http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_note8-8505.php

Conceivably, if the screen must bet split into two on a VR display, which I believe it must, the Note8's display could handle two native-1080p (1920-wide) images, side by side. I'm still happy with high-quality 1080p blu rays and Netflix movies on our RS1's screen (but I know that 4K is all the rage nowadays).

This is why I started this thread after waiting around over 20 years to see what the present future of VR would be. Unfortunately, after having started this thread, I have just now seen that the Note8 has not yet been released, but I look forward to hearing from movie buffs about their experience with watching movies on a Note8-VR "system".
Old Yesterday, 02:46 PM

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3012 Post(s)
Liked: 3092
I have several generations of the Sony hmz kits, the VR kit for my S7 and also had the Vive for a little while before passing it along.

the weight and overall fit of all the kits for me is a deal breaker limiting use to 15-20 mins at a time. I much prefer the experience of a real 142" 16:9 screen and 3D glasses are feather weight compared to these torture devices.

Maybe someday they can shrink the tech to google glass size / weight.

I had these for a while when flying quads and they were the closest thing to being semi-comfortable but still didn't want to watch a 2 hour movie on it.

Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 2402 Post(s)
Liked: 2005
I have a rift... I barely use it.

They need to make RIDICULOUS strides in pixel density and move to 4k per eye before it may be comparable.

Its crap for movies.

For games though, it is the best 3d I have ever friggen seen hands down, a projection 3d system does not even begin to compare to how good 3d is on the VR headsets. I completely and totally feel like I am IN the room when playing certain games.

Video looks terrible though for reasons above.

Nothing like sitting back watching a REAL large screen.

JVC X9500 (RS620) | OZTS Majestic 120" 16:9 | Marantz AV7702 MkII | Emotiva XPA-7 | Rotel RMB-1555B | DIY Javelin Audio TPL-150 L/C/R | DIY Faital MTM TPL-150 Surrounds | DIY Dolby Atmos MKII Modules | DIY Quad 18" Subs 30cf Net
-
Shootout - JVC RS500 (X7000) & Sony 320ES | My Panasonic UB900 HDR and SDR Settings | My MadVR Settings
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
When I watch movies with my Vive I feel nausea and I see a lot of pixels. Movie watching via goggles is still a gimmick. Not to say in years to come that won't change but the here and now....why is this question in the 3k+ forum? :-)
I so wanted to be a VR fan...and I am somewhat. That is if I take Dramamine first. I demoed the Rift and PSVR at stores and enjoyed them both with Dramamine.

Tried it at home with mobile phone glasses and got nauseous quickly.

VR is very cool, though the resolution isn't great, but just like I seldom put on glasses so I can watch 3D, they're a bit of a pain, I doubt I'm going to plan well enough to take Dramamine an hour before I watch a VR movie.

Though I will if I go to Disneyland or Universal Studios. Day trips require all kinds of planning.

See ya. Dave

"High Fidelity audio has been like a dog chasing his tail. High Fidelity in my marriage has been much more rewarding because she knows where I sleep."
Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM
Ix
AVS Forum Special Member

I love VR for games don't get me wrong. I got the Vive at launch, did a whole setup in my game room, wall-mounted the light houses and hardwired them, etc. and still use it semi-regularly. It is a fun experience. Kids love it too.

However for movies it sucks. Novelty at best.

I certainly hope devices like the Note 8 drive it forward because smartphone VR, like it or not, is by far the most popular even though it is objectively the worst experience. The PSVR (I have one of those too) wins on ease of use, comfort, and general setup - compared to the Vive it is super easy to just put on and start using - but it is essentially a toy in other respects.

VR needs greatly increased resolution at a minimum paired with greater field of view. The former will naturally come over the years. The latter is a harder problem to tackle but it is just as important. A VR headset with double the resolution of the Vive and a 20% increase in FOV would cross the threshold from "fun hobby" to "I prefer this" in my opinion. I consider non-cellphone wireless setups with easier to configure external motion tracking to be a close second, but if they fix the first two the rest will follow.

And then, maybe, we'll have serious conversations about PJs vs. VR for movies
Old Yesterday, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 4395 Post(s)
Liked: 2204
I used my Note 5 with Samsung's last VR headset. It was too pixelated for me. I didn't have any issues with the weight of the device. My new Samsung Galaxy S8+ comes in about a week with a voucher for a free 2017 VR headset. We'll see if it's any better. My guess is it's going to be only marginally better. We need to see greater than 4K per eye IMO before we get the PPI high enough for it to be less of an issue. Or we need to see something display with a VERY high pixel fill used otherwise it's not going to work for me. My face also tends to get too warm after a while with the headset on.

Overall, I much prefer a real screen with my JVC.
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3012 Post(s)
Liked: 3092
I believe I read the pentile display is carrying over to the S8 and S8+. I think that pixel arrange hurts the VR image quality as the pixels become quite apparent. maybe it would be different if the density was much higher. or maybe an RGB arrangement?

Some of the VR demos are fun to watch folks who have never seen it lose their balance.

like this fellow:

Old Today, 02:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive Turkey View Post
I so wanted to be a VR fan...and I am somewhat. That is if I take Dramamine first. I demoed the Rift and PSVR at stores and enjoyed them both with Dramamine.

Tried it at home with mobile phone glasses and got nauseous quickly.

VR is very cool, though the resolution isn't great, but just like I seldom put on glasses so I can watch 3D, they're a bit of a pain, I doubt I'm going to plan well enough to take Dramamine an hour before I watch a VR movie.

Though I will if I go to Disneyland or Universal Studios. Day trips require all kinds of planning.
Not all VR causes nausea. Try a Vive with games/apps that avoid stick/trackpad/wsad movement.
Old Today, 02:19 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefoo View Post
Not all VR causes nausea. Try a Vive with games/apps that avoid stick/trackpad/wsad movement.
Try a sailing game while sitting on a water bed with a VR headset. Make sure to have a couple drinks ahead of time.

The theory is that to get over nausea, you must first be presented with the absolute most nauseating scenario.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement