Help/advice sought for HT upgrade - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 35 Old 09-15-2017, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Help/advice sought for HT upgrade

Hi guys,

Sorry for the newbie-style "help me" post, feel free to redirect me to any appropriate existing sub-forum / thread / FAQ posts if there are any!

I used to be active on this forum about 10 years ago (Sept 2007), but have had a very stable HT setup since then, in a light controlled basement theater room:

- PJ: a (low) ceiling mounted JVC DLA-RS2 front projector
- Screen: a fixed 45x80 Da-Lite High Contrast CinemaVision gray screen (about 10-11 feet from PJ)
- Receiver: Harmon/Kardon AVR350 driving a 5.1 surround system (full range speakers, SVS cylindrical subwoofer)

Ten years later, I feel like it's time to upgrade to 4K UHD/HDR technology, and am looking for some quick advice to catch me up on the past ten years of developments. (3D video would probably along for the ride, but it's not something I really intend to feature.)

I realize I'm going to have to do some cascading upgrades as well: my AV receiver isn't recent enough to pass through UHD or HDR signals on the HDMI cable, even after upgrading my Roku and Blu-Ray player to units that support it.

My biggest question is, what is the right successor projector to get? I've got my eye on either the DLA-RS400U or RS500U (aka the X550R or X750R), just based on reviews and specs - but I'm also wondering about the MOUNTING. I no longer have the info as to exactly what mounting bracket I have up there for the RS2.

Ideally I'd be able to just swap in a new DLA projector, if the entire line since the RS2 has the same screw holes or something. Can someone tell me if that is or is not true? I'd rather not do an entire new ceiling mount installation.

I'm also starting off by assuming a DLA projector is still the best image in my price range (up to about $5K) as it was when I got the RS2 back in Sept. 2007. In case of a tie, ease of mounting with my existing setup (like a simple four-screw hot swap to a later gen DLA projector) would be worth something to me. But what other ones should I be looking at?

Anything I should be thinking about, but am not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 09-15-2017, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Your mount should work fine. The RS400/500 have been replaced by the 420/520 which will be replaced in a month or two by the 440/540. AVS still has some deals on B-stock RS400's, contact them for details. As far as differences go, the x20 series improved on BT2020/HDR handling (this is the expanded color palette and range found on 4K sources) and the 4K pixel shifting technique (e-shift) JVC uses in it's lamp based units. The soon to be released x40 lineup offers a further refinement on e-shift and allows the dynamic iris to function with 4K material (the x00 and x20 need an external device to allow the iris to work in HDR). All of them look stunning and there isn't a huge jump from the x00 to x20 series (and probably won't be a big jump going to x40 lineup but we haven't got reviews of them out yet). The only caveat on the x00 series would be to get the most out of 4K you will need to calibrate the gamma or have it done. Which a good calibration should be done anyway. However if you really don't feel like doing this the x20 lineup does offer a decent 4K picture out of the box. With a good calibration the x00 and x20 projectors will be very, very close in picture quality
Considering how long you've waited to upgrade I would suggest looking that RS520/540. The dual iris and increased support for the BT2020 color gamut (the 5x0 and 6x0 models offer more of the expanded color range vs 4x0 units).

post #3 of 35 Old 09-15-2017, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

So the mounting on the DLA projectors has remained the same? I just don't want to be in the position of ordering a new projector, then discovering I need to get some special adapter plate that will require waiting another 3-5 days to receive, especially since I don't know what mounting system is up there right now to adapt to.

I am also confused about the DLA-RS520U (U? what's the U for?) versus the DLA-X770R. Projector Reviews says:

Quote:
...the DLA-RS520 and X770R replace the DLA-RS500 / X750R. ($6999) (Now 1900 lumens) The top of the line of the 4K UHD models will have the DLA-RS620 and X970R replace the DLA-RS600 and DLA-X950R ($9999). (Now 2000 lumens)

The reason there are two different models at each price is a marketing channel “thing.” For years the two series projectors at the same price have been effectively identical models, except for some trim variations. In other words, between RS and X series, buy the one that’s the most convenient, the performance is identical.
And a quick search on pricing shows "Pro AV Dealer" selling the RS520 at $5300 versus $4800 for the X770R. So... Duh? The X770R, right?

Also - any suggestions for a good channel to resell the RS2? It's still a very good projector. But who would be looking for something like it?

post #4 of 35 Old 09-15-2017, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robardin View Post
So the mounting on the DLA projectors has remained the same? I just don't want to be in the position of ordering a new projector, then discovering I need to get some special adapter plate that will require waiting another 3-5 days to receive, especially since I don't know what mounting system is up there right now to adapt to.

I am also confused about the DLA-RS520U (U? what's the U for?) versus the DLA-X770R. Projector Reviews says:

And a quick search on pricing shows "Pro AV Dealer" selling the RS520 at $5300 versus $4800 for the X770R. So... Duh? The X770R, right?

Also - any suggestions for a good channel to resell the RS2? It's still a very good projector. But who would be looking for something like it?
The only difference in the model designation is the channel it's sold through. So no reason not to save the $$. They are the same projector. Contact AVS and any local dealers. I just purchased a 520 a few weeks ago and you can find better pricing.

Craigslist, the classified section on here, and Ebay are all good options. There's a lot of first time hobbyists that need a starter setup. Your JVC will still compete well with a lot of budget offerings.

post #5 of 35 Old 09-15-2017, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

OK, definitely a can-of-worms type question here, and one I'm sure has threads already dedicated to comparing them (which I'm going to go look for now), but I just got off an hour-long chat with someone at ProjectorPeople who was strongly recommending I look at the Sony native 4K projectors, particularly the newest one recently announced at CEDIA just last week that is priced at $5k (the sony VPL-VW285ES). By comparison, the DLA projectors are achieving 4K like resolution via "e-Shift" technology.

I do sit very close to the screen, about 7-8 feet away from a 45x80 image, which is why I'm thinking so much about upgrading to UHD after seeing newer TVs on display from up close.

So on the face of it, actual UHD resolution from a $5K Sony projector that is also based on SXRD = LCoS chips like the DLA projectors, versus a $5k-ish DLA-RS520 that is natively 1080p with e-Shift, why would I go with the JVC? Better contrast and black levels? Quieter fan?
post #6 of 35 Old 09-15-2017, 06:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 345
Quote:

So on the face of it, actual UHD resolution from a $5K Sony projector that is also based on SXRD = LCoS chips like the DLA projectors, versus a $5k-ish DLA-RS520 that is natively 1080p with e-Shift, why would I go with the JVC? Better contrast and black levels? Quieter fan?
I would wait on Kris Deering's reviews from another thread for the info on the newer Sony projectors.
Projector Mini-Shootout Thread

The main reason not to get the Sony though, is because it loses contrast over time. It's not like it loses a little contrast, but it loses so much that the contrast often becomes like a low-end DLP only after about 1000 hours of use. It doesn't happen every time or to every projector at the same rate, but it does eventually happen.

Also, the actual resolution of the chip is only one factor, the lens is just as important really. The lens on the JVC is better usually, and some Sony's apparently have pixel mapping issues in Native 4K modes which means even though internally they may have all the right components, the Sony's may have some ongoing software issues preventing true 4K in some cases.

Still, because of the quality control issues with Sony, I would not touch one personally.

**New Projector Calculator Released**
Access HERE from this thread

Last edited by coderguy; 09-15-2017 at 06:28 PM.
post #7 of 35 Old 09-16-2017, 07:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post
The main reason not to get the Sony though, is because it loses contrast over time. It's not like it loses a little contrast, but it loses so much that the contrast often becomes like a low-end DLP only after about 1000 hours of use. It doesn't happen every time or to every projector at the same rate, but it does eventually happen.

Also, the actual resolution of the chip is only one factor, the lens is just as important really. The lens on the JVC is better usually, and some Sony's apparently have pixel mapping issues in Native 4K modes which means even though internally they may have all the right components, the Sony's may have some ongoing software issues preventing true 4K in some cases.

Still, because of the quality control issues with Sony, I would not touch one personally.
Wow, maybe I'm still stuck in the 1980s/1990s, but it seems odd to me to see the phrase "quality control issues" attached to Sony. And one of the reasons I finally looked into upgrading my projector after ten years is that only in the past few months have I seen anything exciting to make me think I could get significantly better than my RS2's image in my dark basement HT room: my parents' Sony UHD/4K 55" LED TV.

That image blows away my five year old Samsung 1080p HDTV, so I wondered, what about my projector, whose image I've found kind of dim for bright daylight scenes in many movies or for animation (even running it on High mode), and sometimes find the image a little blurry, possibly from upscaling artifacts, but also from sitting very close (8 feet viewing distance from an 80 inch wide screen = 1.2x screen width)?

On the other hand, I have a Sony Blu-Ray player that is extremely wonky for doing anything other than simply watching a disc - using its streaming services and whatnot often freeze up and require a reboot - which I've found is a common complaint, so I could believe there are software related problems at Sonyland these days.

But "losing contrast over time", in as few as 1000 hours of use? And it's not a bulb issue but something inside the projector? How would that happen? Chip failure? I thought the chip technology they used in SXRD was basically the same as the JVC LCoS ones.
post #8 of 35 Old 09-16-2017, 08:18 AM

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 3881 Post(s)
Liked: 3962
Quote:
That image blows away my five year old Samsung 1080p HDTV, so I wondered, what about my projector, whose image I've found kind of dim for bright daylight scenes in many movies or for animation (even running it on High mode), and sometimes find the image a little blurry, possibly from upscaling artifacts, but also from sitting very close (8 feet viewing distance from an 80 inch wide screen = 1.2x screen width)?
The RS2 was the dimmest projector JVC has made with about 600 calibrated lumens. The current models can crank out ~1700 when calibrated, a substantial difference from the RS2.

you will be shocked when you see the current models in comparison. brightness / contrast / sharpness.

if you upgrade, an RS2 recently sold on ebay for $200. I would sooner give it to a friend or relative.
post #9 of 35 Old 09-16-2017, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

OK I see that you must surely have meant the high contrast quality has a short lamp life on the Sony units. Still strange.

I checked the AVS sales on B-stock JVCs and see they have a DLA-RS600U for $4800. Now I'm reading up what the differences would be between the B-stock RS600 (soon to be 2 prior generations old on the RS line) and a new RS520 (my most likely price point)... And comparing to the more "future-proofed" Sony 4K projectors, but with potential quality issues, and the fact that I'm already quite in love with the PQ on my RS2 and am mainly looking to enhance for additional resolution/sharpness from 4K (whether native or, for the most part, upscaling), and brightness.
post #10 of 35 Old 09-16-2017, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The RS2 was the dimmest projector JVC has made with about 600 calibrated lumens. The current models can crank out ~1700 when calibrated, a substantial difference from the RS2.

you will be shocked when you see the current models in comparison. brightness / contrast / sharpness.

if you upgrade, an RS2 recently sold on ebay for $200. I would sooner give it to a friend or relative.
WWWOW. Well, it has been ten years. And really, most of the time I'm still enjoying my RS2. Have switched the lamp twice.

But you see why I'm a little hesitant to drop upwards of $5K on so-called a "faux-K" UHD projector, even if I love the JVC black levels. OTOH, who's to say I wouldn't just happily coast on a refurb RS600 or something for the next 7-10 years?

I'd give it to a friend or relative but none of them have or are looking to create a darkened theater room!
post #11 of 35 Old 09-16-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
WWWOW. Well, it has been ten years. And really, most of the time I'm still enjoying my RS2. Have switched the lamp twice.

But you see why I'm a little hesitant to drop upwards of $5K on so-called a "faux-K" UHD projector, even if I love the JVC black levels. OTOH, who's to say I wouldn't just happily coast on a refurb RS600 or something for the next 7-10 years?

I'd give it to a friend or relative but none of them have or are looking to create a darkened theater room!

The b-stock RS600 will have a 5 year warranty which is nice. The new x40 series will only be 3 years but will have an advanced replacement option.

I've had an RS600 for 2 years and will likely keep it for a while. it's an excellent projector and the differences between native and e-shift are much closer than one would think as shown in this example between the Sony and JVC. JVC's have a considerable native contrast advantage over the Sony models.

http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/117281

The reduced price 520 should also be a consideration if UHD is an interest since it has better out of the box UHD performance vs. the prior year models. The x00 series can be calibrated for HDR but it takes more effort. The x20 and x40 series will be better for UHD out of the box.

any of the models we are discussing are going to be a substantial upgrade to the RS2. I have calibrated a number of them over the years and we've come a long way since that model.
post #12 of 35 Old 09-16-2017, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
The reduced price 520 should also be a consideration if UHD is an interest since it has better out of the box UHD performance vs. the prior year models. The x00 series can be calibrated for HDR but it takes more effort. The x20 and x40 series will be better for UHD out of the box.
OK, so assuming at some point I'll try calibrating for HDR (or getting a professional calibration done - though my basement is a mess) - if the prices were the same, and I trusted the fully-warrantied refurb to be like-new in terms of quality, what else should recommend the RS600 over the RS520, if anything?

Just looking at the two spec sheets on ProjectorCentral, it looks like the RS600 has a higher native contrast ratio than the RS520 (150K:1 versus 130K:1), and not much else. Both are "e-shift4" (versus e-shift5 which is coming in newly announced RSx40 models). The RS520 has "Auto HDR" which the RS600 does not, which I suppose is what you're talking about in terms of being more HDR capable "out of the box".

Oh, I guess a 5-year warranty on the RS600 versus a 3-year warranty on the RS520. I've had my RS2 for TEN years with nary a problem, so knock on wood, I'd be expecting the same from either unit.

If warranty isn't an issue and either contrast rating is going to be amazing (considering I still think my RS2's contrast is amazing), it seems I should go with the RS520 (aka the X770R)?

But there must be a reason the RS600 was priced so much higher than the RS500, I mean, it's not like the RS520 is a huge leap over the RS500 itself, other than the HDR bit, right?
post #13 of 35 Old 09-16-2017, 09:55 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3697 Post(s)
Liked: 2055
The real issue, IMO, with the Sony is that Sony has made the decision to intentionally cripple it (the 285) to help justify the prices of the much higher end models. They removed lens memory so you can't easily use it in a constant height setup (but it still has motorized zoom/shift so it seems like it was disabled in software), it has the Dynamic Iris removed, so contrast in dark scenes will suffer. On all models under the 885 they've opted to stick with an incomplete HDMI implementation, they only support about 13.5Gbps not the full 18Gbps of HDMI 2.0, and they don't have the ability to hit 100% of DCI P3 (the colorspace used on most UHD Blu-ray's). They also have some issues with the way they feed their panels which results in them not being able to fully resolve 4K video, while generally subtle, they don't live up to their potential.

Sony really seems to just be sitting on their laurels, and rely on the marketing advantage their native 4K panels provide rather than really trying to push boundaries. And really, the native 4K panels are more of a marketing advantage than anything else. If you talk to people who have seen all these machines, and a lot of UHD, they'll tell you that WCG and HDR are by far the most noticeable improvements that 4K/UHD bring, with resolution being a somewhat distant third. JVC really checks all the boxes with UHD/4K, they're essentially the brightest machines available, have basically 100% DCI P3, of course the amazing contrast which lends itself well to HDR, and e-Shift really does a remarkable job improving sharpness/detail over what 1080p alone can manage.

The reality is, there is no projector under $20k (VW1100) if not $30k (RS4500) that can completely, correctly render 4K resolution. Sony's have native 4K panels, but have limitations in driving them, JVC doesn't have native 4K panels but has great e-Shift, and DLP XPR isn't native 4K either, but ironically might be sharper than Sony's native 4K under $20k, but all fail 4K test patterns in some way or another. I guess what I'm trying to say is that under $20k, and especially under $10k, "native 4K" on the spec sheet doesn't really mean anything, it doesn't guarantee a sharper or better picture.
post #14 of 35 Old 09-16-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
OK, so assuming at some point I'll try calibrating for HDR (or getting a professional calibration done - though my basement is a mess) - if the prices were the same, and I trusted the fully-warrantied refurb to be like-new in terms of quality, what else should recommend the RS600 over the RS520, if anything?

Just looking at the two spec sheets on ProjectorCentral, it looks like the RS600 has a higher native contrast ratio than the RS520 (150K:1 versus 130K:1), and not much else. Both are "e-shift4" (versus e-shift5 which is coming in newly announced RSx40 models). The RS520 has "Auto HDR" which the RS600 does not, which I suppose is what you're talking about in terms of being more HDR capable "out of the box".

Oh, I guess a 5-year warranty on the RS600 versus a 3-year warranty on the RS520. I've had my RS2 for TEN years with nary a problem, so knock on wood, I'd be expecting the same from either unit.

If warranty isn't an issue and either contrast rating is going to be amazing (considering I still think my RS2's contrast is amazing), it seems I should go with the RS520 (aka the X770R)?

But there must be a reason the RS600 was priced so much higher than the RS500, I mean, it's not like the RS520 is a huge leap over the RS500 itself, other than the HDR bit, right?

The pricing this year has been re-adjusted closer between the 540 and 640 now that they both have a 3 year warranty. The higher price difference between the 500 and 600 was mostly the extra warranty.

Once the pre-order pricing is released for the 540 (likely by next week), I would check on that price and also the reduced price of the 520. I would recommend these 2 over the RS600 mainly for UHD performance out of the box. If you get the RS600, you will have to load in the custom gamma curves we have been discussing in the owners thread. the 520 and 540 will provide very good out of the box results with UHD HDR content.

There are a number of UHD & 3D titles that look remarkable on the JVC. We just watched Bladerunner UHD HDR a 2nd time, Kong Skull island in 3D and also Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2 (UHD and 3D).

There is a lot to look forward to after your upgrade.
post #15 of 35 Old 09-20-2017, 09:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
The soon to be released x40 lineup offers a further refinement on e-shift and allows the dynamic iris to function with 4K material (the x00 and x20 need an external device to allow the iris to work in HDR). ...
Considering how long you've waited to upgrade I would suggest looking that RS520/540. The dual iris and increased support for the BT2020 color gamut (the 5x0 and 6x0 models offer more of the expanded color range vs 4x0 units).
Hm, perhaps my Google Fu is weak, but I was unable to find information on this external device for HDR and dynamic iris functionality in pre-x40 DLA projectors.

On the other hand, I found info that I need some kind of external thingy (a PKEM2G RF transmitter) to use it for 3D and "active shutter" glasses.

Can you tell me more about the "dynamic iris HDR device" I need to find? Hopefully it can coexist with the 3D thingy?
post #16 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 07:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked: 641
Quote:
Hm, perhaps my Google Fu is weak, but I was unable to find information on this external device for HDR and dynamic iris functionality in pre-x40 DLA projectors.

On the other hand, I found info that I need some kind of external thingy (a PKEM2G RF transmitter) to use it for 3D and "active shutter" glasses.

Can you tell me more about the "dynamic iris HDR device" I need to find? Hopefully it can coexist with the 3D thingy?

https://www.hdfury.com/product/linke...600mhz-scaler/

The HD Fury Vertex will be the newest come early November but, the Linker will work fine.
post #17 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 09:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

To reinforce what Tom posted above, I'm using a HD Fury Linker and does indeed allow the DI to work on an RSx20 projector (I have the RS520). It won't interfere with the 3D emitter. As far as the Sony and native 4K vs e-shift, Stranger89 covered that perfectly. I do want to add that having seen both in person the resolution advantage of the Sony is so much less apparent from a normal seating distance and in motion. Sony makes a fine product, but overall image quality goes to the JVC IMO.

post #18 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
To reinforce what Tom posted above, I'm using a HD Fury Linker and does indeed allow the DI to work on an RSx20 projector (I have the RS520). It won't interfere with the 3D emitter. As far as the Sony and native 4K vs e-shift, Stranger89 covered that perfectly. I do want to add that having seen both in person the resolution advantage of the Sony is so much less apparent from a normal seating distance and in motion. Sony makes a fine product, but overall image quality goes to the JVC IMO.
Is my 1.2x screen width what you would consider a "normal" seating distance, versus the commonly thrown about rule of thumb of 1.5x screen widths?

And, the difference between e-shift4 vs. e-shift5 would account for most of the difference between the RS540 and the RS520 + this linker? Like, when (else) would a "linker" be useful or necessary?
post #19 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 11:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Is my 1.2x screen width what you would consider a "normal" seating distance, versus the commonly thrown about rule of thumb of 1.5x screen widths?

And, the difference between e-shift4 vs. e-shift5 would account for most of the difference between the RS540 and the RS520 + this linker? Like, when (else) would a "linker" be useful or necessary?
Seating to screen ratio is usually given in height and not width with regards to projection. Normally you see a 2-3x ratio. In my case I'm a little over 2x (just under 10' from a 51" tall screen). In my experience the difference in apparent resolution between the Sony and JVC start to dwindle after 5 or so feet from the screen. But that's not a scientific study by any means. Just an observation. Certainly at a normal seating distance the differences will have diminished.

Essentially yes. With the linker the differences would boil down to what e-shift 5 brings to the table. Based on observations from Cedia I'm expecting a nice incremental improvement, but not a substantial gain. We'll know more as people acquire them.

post #20 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Seating to screen ratio is usually given in height and not width with regards to projection. Normally you see a 2-3x ratio. In my case I'm a little over 2x (just under 10' from a 51" tall screen). In my experience the difference in apparent resolution between the Sony and JVC start to dwindle after 5 or so feet from the screen. But that's not a scientific study by any means. Just an observation. Certainly at a normal seating distance the differences will have diminished.

Essentially yes. With the linker the differences would boil down to what e-shift 5 brings to the table. Based on observations from Cedia I'm expecting a nice incremental improvement, but not a substantial gain. We'll know more as people acquire them.
I'm still not clear on how this linker functions. The dynamic iris is part of the projector hardware, right? How would an external unit processing HDMI signals affect how the projector operates the iris? Wouldn't it need projector specific programming to achieve that (versus being what appears to be a generic HDMI pass-through processor)?

I haven't looked at projector technology in the past 10 years to keep myself from developing Upgrade Itch, but I'm pretty sure 1.5x screen width is usually the rule of thumb... As per something like this:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/buil...een_size_2.htm

Quote:
While a viewing distance of 1.5x the screen width is comfortable for many people, some want to sit closer, say at about 1.3x, or even 1.2x the screen width. Others might feel more comfortable with a screen that takes up a smaller angle of view, and sit back at 1.75x, or even 2.0x the screen width. The farther back you sit, the less work your eyes must do to absorb the entire screen image. That means less eyestrain over a long period of viewing time. On the other hand, the picture will appear smaller and less dramatic. The ideal solution is to find the happy trade-off point where the picture is as large as it can be without inducing eyestrain.
To me, having my head be about 8 feet away (96") from my 45x80 image is big enough to be engrossing while not being fatiguing (I can still see the entire image without strain or moving my head), and 96/80 = 1.2.

If your personal, first person experience is that after about 5 feet the pixel shifted HD to 4K JVC e-shifted resolution is mostly the same as the Sony's native 4K in terms of perceived resolution, that's good to know. Because what I do know is that I sit 8 feet away, that I trust JVC's image and build quality and black levels, and need to spend under $5K (preferably closer to $4K) on my upgrade to keep all my body parts free from spousal threat.

I'm thinking:

Step 1 - upgrade projector, using my current HD setup as primary input (projector upscaling to 4K); For $100, upgrade my Roku3 to an Ultra for a 4K/UHD video input source to its HDMI2 input, using an optical audio cable to hook up 5.1 sound to current AV receiver.

The question is, what would the RS540 run me, versus a used RS520 or RS600 (or RS500?) with a Linker, and at what discounted price point does it make sense to Go Used? A really nice discount would also help buffer me from any hit this entire eshift technology base would probably take if JVC came out with $6-8K native 4K DLA projectors in 2018.

Step 2 - upgrade my AV receiver to one that passes through HDR and 3D with 4+ HDMI inputs (I will still only have 5.1 speakers, my theater room is just not big enough for more speakers, unless I played with adding very small, ceiling mounted surround speakers for 7.1)

Step 3 - upgrade Blu-Ray player to one that supports 3D and 4K HDR (Oppo or Panasonic, I guess?)

Step 4 (if necessary) - go from my 1.1 gain HCCV gray screen to a white screen

If Step 1 takes me to the brink of my immediate $5K limit, then Steps 2 through 4 can be postponed for at least several months while reaping immediate benefits.
post #21 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 3697 Post(s)
Liked: 2055
Quote:
I'm still not clear on how this linker functions. The dynamic iris is part of the projector hardware, right? How would an external unit processing HDMI signals affect how the projector operates the iris? Wouldn't it need projector specific programming to achieve that (versus being what appears to be a generic HDMI pass-through processor)?
The DI is disabled when the projector detects the HDR flag in the HDMI metadata. The Linker strips that flag so the projector doesn't know it's receiving HDR. Only down side (for the x20) is that you have to manually select the HDR user mode.

Quote:
Step 1 - upgrade projector, using my current HD setup as primary input (projector upscaling to 4K); For $100, upgrade my Roku3 to an Ultra for a 4K/UHD video input source to its HDMI2 input, using an optical audio cable to hook up 5.1 sound to current AV receiver.

The question is, what would the RS540 run me, versus a used RS520 or RS600 (or RS500?) with a Linker, and at what discounted price point does it make sense to Go Used? A really nice discount would also help buffer me from any hit this entire eshift technology base would probably take if JVC came out with $6-8K native 4K DLA projectors in 2018.
You'll have to call AV Science (Craig or Mike) about price, suffice to say, there's no way I'd buy an RS520 or 620 at this point.

Quote:
Step 2 - upgrade my AV receiver to one that passes through HDR and 3D with 4+ HDMI inputs (I will still only have 5.1 speakers, my theater room is just not big enough for more speakers, unless I played with adding very small, ceiling mounted surround speakers for 7.1)

Step 3 - upgrade Blu-Ray player to one that supports 3D and 4K HDR (Oppo or Panasonic, I guess?)
You can do 3 first if you get a good UHD player with dual HDMI outputs.
post #22 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I haven't looked at projector technology in the past 10 years to keep myself from developing Upgrade Itch, but I'm pretty sure 1.5x screen width is usually the rule of thumb... As per something like this:

To me, having my head be about 8 feet away (96") from my 45x80 image is big enough to be engrossing while not being fatiguing (I can still see the entire image without strain or moving my head), and 96/80 = 1.2.

If your personal, first person experience is that after about 5 feet the pixel shifted HD to 4K JVC e-shifted resolution is mostly the same as the Sony's native 4K in terms of perceived resolution, that's good to know. Because what I do know is that I sit 8 feet away, that I trust JVC's image and build quality and black levels, and need to spend under $5K (preferably closer to $4K) on my upgrade to keep all my body parts free from spousal threat.

I'm thinking:

If Step 1 takes me to the brink of my immediate $5K limit, then Steps 2 through 4 can be postponed for at least several months while reaping immediate benefits.
My thoughts, get the RS540 and don't look back. We are not allowed to discuss pricing other than msrp but, here is a hint: You'll be just under your budget AND you won't need the Linker because JVC has added DI support for HDR on the 540. You can replace the material on your Da-lite for a white screen no gain at a later date. New UHD Blu-Ray players have a seperate audio HDMI OUT & HDMI OUT for video, so you could still use your receiver for a while. My 2 cents.
post #23 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 12:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
So on the current JVC lineup (the RSx20) whenever a 4K HDR signal is present the JVC will switch the HDR gamma preset and the dynamic iris function is disabled (no matter which preset you select). As a user you have no way at this point to select the dynamic iris. The option is grayed out.

What the Linker does is it tells your player that the display device is capable of 4K HDR so it sends out the signal just like it did before. However it tells the projector the incoming stream IS NOT 4K HDR even though it really is. So now the projector no longer switches to the HDR setting and more importantly no longer disables the dynamic iris. So at this point you are manually able to switch to the HDR preset and viola you can now select the dynamic iris.

Essentially you are tricking the projector into receiving a signal that it thinks it isn't and therefore it doesn't disable the options it normally would.

Quote:

You won't have any issues at 8' from that screen. You're about 2.2x height to seating ratio. About exactly where I'm at with my 130" scope screen.

Quote:
I'm thinking:

I think you have the right idea. I would probably be more tempted to upgrade your Blu Ray player to a UHD model. I picked up the Sony X800 from Amazon for a very affordable price and it has 2 HDMI outputs. 1 of which can be fed to the projector and the other to a legacy AV receiver for Audio. All of it's built in apps can output 4K as far as I know. UHD discs will be the best source for 4K. Oppo or Panasonic will also be good choices.

Although you may not have room to expand your rear channels, don't discount Atmos ceiling speakers when looking at an AVR. Most 4K discs have an Atmos track and having just added Atmos I can say it can be pretty cool. Just decide if you want a 4 or 2 speaker Atmos setup before buying.

I'd contact AVS or your local reseller on pricing. Used pricing would be based on how much life is left in the bulb. Still I wouldn't pay more than 80% of retail on a used unit. But that's my rule of thumb.

I think you will want to upgrade the HCCV screen. My 16:9 screen was a Da-Lite HCCV and I think the slight grain and sparkle would detract from the detail you have with 4K. Another thing to consider is you have an excellent lens memory system to use on the new JVCs so a scope screen (2.35:1) is easily accommodated. A ~120" 2.35:1 screen would be almost the exact same height you have today. You'd just need to make sure you have enough throw distance to use it (12'11" minimum for a 120" scope screen).

post #24 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the helpful replies!

I see, the "linker" (not sure what it is "linking" in this context) is removing metadata from the digital information, which when fed to something like the DLA-RS520 will result in a wider color range managed by the dynamic iris. But that just raises the question, why was JVC suppressing the dynamic iris to go with a fixed, constant gamma profile for HDR, if that was not actually the way to have the projector perform the best?

I was hoping not to run too many parallel HDMI video inputs to the PJ / separate audio signals (optical or HDMI) to the AV receiver, not only because I'd like to consider the 7.1 ATMOS setup at some point, but because it's very nice the way it is now being able to select the input on the receiver and have it control both the audio and the video (since there's only one HDMI out from the receiver to the projector). With each UHD or 3D video run I make directly to the projector, I'll have to do a two-step selection process to get the video and then the audio going.

I've had setups where I had to do that before, and found the one-button through-the-receiver interface much nicer. I can live with it for a few months with just the one input, wouldn't want to do it for too many, and I will have many more UHD or 3D material immediately at hand via a Roku than a disc player (seeing as I have no 4K, HDR discs, and relatively few 3D Blu-Ray discs).

Quote:
Another thing to consider is you have an excellent lens memory system to use on the new JVCs so a scope screen (2.35:1) is easily accommodated. A ~120" 2.35:1 screen would be almost the exact same height you have today. You'd just need to make sure you have enough throw distance to use it (12'11" minimum for a 120" scope screen).
Oh man, that sounds expensive. A scope screen that works with the projector's lens memory, that adjusts the blackout material on the sides to allow for not a fixed width (with black horizontal crop bars) screen, but a fixed height one? Also not sure I have the 120" wide wall mounting space what with my speaker placement, and a rather inconveniently placed door to a laundry room I really need to keep accessible
post #25 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

But that just raises the question, why was JVC suppressing the dynamic iris to go with a fixed, constant gamma profile for HDR, if that was not actually the way to have the projector perform the best?
HDR needs all the brightness it can, there is no local dimming like on a flat panel. So when you use the DI you not only dim the darkest parts of the picture but, the brightest parts as well and the whole point of HDR are the spectral highlights and color volume. It gives a nice pop to the picture. That's the nice part about having a native high contrast projector, even when not using the DI it looks fantastic. So, at the time JVC probably thought it wasn't worth having it anything but, wide open.

Last edited by Tom Bley; 09-21-2017 at 01:15 PM.
post #26 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bley View Post
HDR needs all the brightness it can, there is no local dimming like on a flat panel. So when you use the DI you not only dim the darkest parts of the picture but, the brightest parts as well and the whole point of HDR are the spectral highlights and color volume. It gives a nice pop to the picture. That's the nice part about having a native high contrast projector, even when not using the DI it looks fantastic. So, at the time JVC probably thought it wasn't worth having it anything but, wide open.
Right. So, why were they wrong? And what would the RS540 do differently, if anything -- is the "improved HDR functionality that allows the projectors to deliver brighter and more dynamic HDR content" that is part of the release announcement for the projector just allowing the DI to do its thing? That wouldn't deliver "brighter" HDR content - if the RS520 was doing wide open iris all the time, that by definition is as maximally bright as the projector can do, unless they mean it auto-shifts into HIGH lamp mode.
post #27 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 02:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I see, the "linker" (not sure what it is "linking" in this context) is removing metadata from the digital information, which when fed to something like the DLA-RS520 will result in a wider color range managed by the dynamic iris. But that just raises the question, why was JVC suppressing the dynamic iris to go with a fixed, constant gamma profile for HDR, if that was not actually the way to have the projector perform the best?

I was hoping not to run too many parallel HDMI video inputs to the PJ / separate audio signals (optical or HDMI) to the AV receiver, not only because I'd like to consider the 7.1 ATMOS setup at some point, but because it's very nice the way it is now being able to select the input on the receiver and have it control both the audio and the video (since there's only one HDMI out from the receiver to the projector). With each UHD or 3D video run I make directly to the projector, I'll have to do a two-step selection process to get the video and then the audio going.

I've had setups where I had to do that before, and found the one-button through-the-receiver interface much nicer. I can live with it for a few months with just the one input, wouldn't want to do it for too many, and I will have many more UHD or 3D material immediately at hand via a Roku than a disc player (seeing as I have no 4K, HDR discs, and relatively few 3D Blu-Ray discs).

Oh man, that sounds expensive. A scope screen that works with the projector's lens memory, that adjusts the blackout material on the sides to allow for not a fixed width (with black horizontal crop bars) screen, but a fixed height one? Also not sure I have the 120" wide wall mounting space what with my speaker placement, and a rather inconveniently placed door to a laundry room I really need to keep accessible
JVC updated the new lineup to do exactly what the Linker is doing. Why they disabled this on the current lineup I can't say, but it works very well with the linker.

The parallel HDMI is only a stop gap while you get funds for the replacement AVR. I agree routing through the receiver is better. But being able to enjoy UHD 4K discs and having to switch in the interim seems well worth the hassle to me.

A scope screen is not expensive and masking is not necessary. The unused width when watching non-scope material is not lit by the panel and therefore disappears (it does not impact contrast either like letterboxing does).

Last edited by jeahrens; 09-21-2017 at 02:36 PM.
post #28 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Right. So, why were they wrong? And what would the RS540 do differently, if anything -- is the "improved HDR functionality that allows the projectors to deliver brighter and more dynamic HDR content" that is part of the release announcement for the projector just allowing the DI to do its thing? That wouldn't deliver "brighter" HDR content - if the RS520 was doing wide open iris all the time, that by definition is as maximally bright as the projector can do, unless they mean it auto-shifts into HIGH lamp mode.
Even without the Linker you can control high vs. low lamp and clamp things down with the manual iris. Again I'm not sure why the functionality isn't there on the older models as it works very well with the Linker fooling it.

post #29 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 02:28 PM

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 7097 Post(s)
Liked: 4797
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:

Your mount will probably work if it is a Chief mount, but you will need a new custom plate for your mount, since the hole pattern is different on the current models.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #30 of 35 Old 09-21-2017, 02:31 PM

Mentioned: 111 Post(s)
Quoted: 7097 Post(s)
Liked: 4797
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
Hi guys,

Sorry for the newbie-style "help me" post, feel free to redirect me to any appropriate existing sub-forum / thread / FAQ posts if there are any!

I used to be active on this forum about 10 years ago (Sept 2007), but have had a very stable HT setup since then, in a light controlled basement theater room:

- PJ: a (low) ceiling mounted JVC DLA-RS2 front projector
- Screen: a fixed 45x80 Da-Lite High Contrast CinemaVision gray screen (about 10-11 feet from PJ)
- Receiver: Harmon/Kardon AVR350 driving a 5.1 surround system (full range speakers, SVS cylindrical subwoofer)

Ten years later, I feel like it's time to upgrade to 4K UHD/HDR technology, and am looking for some quick advice to catch me up on the past ten years of developments. (3D video would probably along for the ride, but it's not something I really intend to feature.)

I realize I'm going to have to do some cascading upgrades as well: my AV receiver isn't recent enough to pass through UHD or HDR signals on the HDMI cable, even after upgrading my Roku and Blu-Ray player to units that support it.

My biggest question is, what is the right successor projector to get? I've got my eye on either the DLA-RS400U or RS500U (aka the X550R or X750R), just based on reviews and specs - but I'm also wondering about the MOUNTING. I no longer have the info as to exactly what mounting bracket I have up there for the RS2.

Ideally I'd be able to just swap in a new DLA projector, if the entire line since the RS2 has the same screw holes or something. Can someone tell me if that is or is not true? I'd rather not do an entire new ceiling mount installation.

I'm also starting off by assuming a DLA projector is still the best image in my price range (up to about $5K) as it was when I got the RS2 back in Sept. 2007. In case of a tie, ease of mounting with my existing setup (like a simple four-screw hot swap to a later gen DLA projector) would be worth something to me. But what other ones should I be looking at?

Anything I should be thinking about, but am not?
Lots of good options in the JVC line. You have the new RS440, 540 and 640 coming out and there are great closeout deals on the 420 and 520. For those that like big savings, you can find deals on B-stock RS420's, 520's, 620's, 400's and 600's.
Tom Bley likes this.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page