Benq PE8700 Firmware upgrade - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 100 Old 03-15-2004, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been in discussion with Sai Tang, Director of Customer Support for Benq North America. He has agreed to look into posting on their web site the materials necessary to perform firmware upgrades on the Benq 8700. Look into means he will consult with Taiwan (Benq engineering and management) to see that there are no legal issues and attempt to gain their permission.

What would be needed would be the firmware loader, the firmware itself (Intel hex file) , the instructions for use (very simple); and a cable (or specs for same) to connect the pj to a PC.

I suggested that Benq make the cable spec available at no charge, but offer the cable pre made for $5-$10 for those out there who can not solder or are cablewiring challenged. I used a straight 4 wire telco (rj11 to rj11) cable and wired a DB9 to RJ11 adapter to give me what the spec called for. The adapter comes un-wired and you just insert the internal wires into the proper pin outs in the DB9 connector. Distance is probably not relevant (my run is over 50 feet at 115,000 bps).

I suggest that others contact Mr. Tang to instill a priority on trying to get this done. He was very peasant and cooperative on the phone. He may be emailed at saitang@benq.com. We discussed how various types/levels of support for different users is a good thing, and that many owners would not want to be without their pj, let alone ship it around the country. He seemed to understand. I also pointed out that there will probably be additional firmware upgrades in the future, and many other manufacturers of all sorts of A/V equipment have taken the policy to provode firmware upgrades for free if they are fixes and charge if they are enhancements (e.g. Lexicon)

He re affirmed that I may not distribute what was given to me under "informal NDA". The upgrade worked fine, I no longer hear the fan except at shutdown when it is cooling the lamp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 100 Old 03-15-2004, 11:19 AM

Liked: 10
Is he cool with us emailing him? And if so, is it ok to reference this thread?

Thanks,
James
post #3 of 100 Old 03-15-2004, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

I've just emailed him.

My fan is fine, but if future enhancements can be made via firmware updates, I'm game.

iPad 2 is the coolest thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azkg-Bj6GVs
post #4 of 100 Old 03-15-2004, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

James,

I have no issue if you ref the thread.

Directors of customer support like to be told when they are doing well and where they can improve their operation to increase customer satisfaction (That is one of the ways their performance is measured). I am sure if you couched your comments in that context he will be fine with the email.
post #5 of 100 Old 03-15-2004, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a great idea and I'm happy to hear BenQ is open to feedback and improving their customer service. I just sent my 8700 in last week for the upgrade - it took only five days total - but certainly would have preferred the DIY download, and agree with Joe that clearly future firmware upgrades via this route are the way to go.

Dan
post #6 of 100 Old 03-15-2004, 04:25 PM

barrygordon'
thnx
post #7 of 100 Old 03-23-2004, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone heard back about this ? I just discovered this thread and sent an email to Mr. Tang.

post #8 of 100 Old 03-23-2004, 08:37 AM
AVS Special Member

I heard back from them the next day and had all of the firware and instructions sent to me. I didn't do it, because I had the most recent firm ware already installed, but if there is a future upgrade, I'd like to try this.

iPad 2 is the coolest thing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Azkg-Bj6GVs
post #9 of 100 Old 03-23-2004, 08:41 AM

They sent me the firmware too. Now all I need is a pinout for the cable...

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
James
post #10 of 100 Old 03-23-2004, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Joe Przybylski
I heard back from them the next day and had all of the firware and instructions sent to me. I didn't do it, because I had the most recent firm ware already installed, but if there is a future upgrade, I'd like to try this.

Can you tell me more about the upgrade software ? Is it windows based ? Where can I order the cable from (ie link) ?

post #11 of 100 Old 03-23-2004, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Hopefully they will post the firmware and the necessary software. Mr tang said he was going to look into it, and since he is providing it, it appears it will be more efficient if they just post it for download.

I know of no cable that is premade. I built my own. What you need is an RJ 11 connector, the RJ-11 connector tool (Or cut up an existing RJ11 4 wire cable), a DB9 connector (Female if my memory serves me right) and an ability to solder, I will post the information when I get home on the cable pin out.

There is an interesting cable adapter that is DB9 to RJ11. It comes all ready to use but the pins from the rj11 (4) are not inserted in the DB9. You do that based upon what pinout you need. You then use a plain RJ11 male male cable (The benq connector is RJ11 female). That is what I did.

Here is a link

http://www.cables4computer.com/produ...roupcode=I0083

I will post the pinout tonight
post #12 of 100 Old 03-23-2004, 06:52 PM

Ironically enough, BenQ sent me the cable pinout tonight:

|DB9 female| |RJ11| |Signal|
2 4 RX
3 2 TX
5 5 GND

My DB9 to RJ11 adapter is on its way (thanks for the link barrygordon!), so hopefully I'll have the new firmware up and running this weekend.

James
post #13 of 100 Old 03-23-2004, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

When did you ask the firmware ? I sent an email to Mr. Tang this morning and I am still waiting for a reply I have an adaptor allset and I am ready to upgrade.

post #14 of 100 Old 03-24-2004, 04:19 AM

It took a couple of days for a response and then about a week for a response on the adapter pinout.

James
post #15 of 100 Old 03-24-2004, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

OOPS I forgot to send out the pinout. What is above does not look right to me. An RJ11 only needs 4 pins and that is the way all of mine come. I therefore do not understand pin 5 to pin 5.
post #16 of 100 Old 03-24-2004, 08:55 AM

Pin 5 is the last pin in a 6-pin RJ11 with only 4 used pins... if that makes sense

Check out the drawing:
http://www.applied-motion.com/ampinf...s/modadapt.pdf
post #17 of 100 Old 03-24-2004, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Your statement confuses me.

An RJ11 plug unly has 4 pins so why would an RJ11 female (jack) have 6 pins? An RJ12 jack does have 6 pins, and is built with a double notch so an RJ11 plug will fit nicely in an RJ11 jack (which I prefer) or an RJ12 jack. An RJ12 plug will not fit in an RJ11 Jack

Lets assume that the Benq has an RJ12 jack (I will check tonight) then the pins would be numbered as 1 to 6. How does pin 5 become the "Last Pin".

If the RJ 11 plug is inserted in an RJ12 jack the the following pin matings occur:

RJ11 RJ12
1 to 2
2 to 3
3 to 4
4 to 5

I always prefer to deal with a document to eliminate all of this confusion. I will check both the service manual and the pj and my cable assembly which does work.

I just forgot to do it last night. The good news is that if you screw up the wiring nothing will smoke as all voltages are at signal level, there is no Vcc on any pin and putting ground to a signal pin will not hurt.
post #18 of 100 Old 03-24-2004, 11:06 AM

Now I'm confused

The RJ11 jacks in my office are 6 position. The phone cord I have plugged into my fax machine has a 6 position plug but only 2 pins are used (3 and 4).

I think there's some confusion on what an RJ11 jack is. Check out the following page. They show a 4 position and 6 position jack and call both of them RJ11:

http://www.tcswnc.com/RJ11%20and%20R...Connectors.htm

I guess I wasn't clear by the last pin thing. If you're using a 4 position plug and plug it into a 6 position jack, then the #4 position on the plug connects to the #5 position on the jack.
post #19 of 100 Old 03-24-2004, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

The issue as I see it is that if you are building the cable you are using an RJ 11 Plug, which only has 4 pins! Of that I am sure. The Benq has either a 4 position or a 6 position Modular jack, but that is irrelavent. The cable with the plug is what concerns us.

The pins on the plug are numbered 1,2,3,4, the fact that they will mate to modular jack positions 2,3,4,5 if it is a 6 position MJ, or to pins 1,2,3,4 if it is a 4 position MJ is also irrelavent (assuming that Benq wired the MJ correctly, which they did).

What didn't make sense to me was in the context of building the cable. There is no pin 5 on an RJ11 plug, but pin 4 on an RJ11 plug does mate to a pin 5 on a 6 position modular jack.

Now if we build the cable using the adapter, which probaly has a 6 position modular jack then pin 5 is the right one to wire to pin 5 on the DB9 and the pinout you provided is correct.

I think we both understand the situation.
post #20 of 100 Old 03-24-2004, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Attached is a zipped word doc that has all of the necessary information to build the RS232 cable for the PE8700. The original document had a typo and a mistake on the gender of the DB9 needed. That is all fixed now. The document is correct.
post #21 of 100 Old 03-24-2004, 06:31 PM

Very nice doc. Thank you!
post #22 of 100 Old 03-26-2004, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by barrygordon
Attached is a zipped word doc that has all of the necessary information to build the RS232 cable for the PE8700

Are you sure this document is correct ? One the bottom on page 1 you say we need only worry about DB9 pins 2,3 & 5. You then mention "The following pins need to be showhow connected" and you talk about DB9 pins 2,3 & 4.

I am using a rj45 adaptor and I took pins 4,5 & 6 (red, green, yellow) and connected to DB9 pins and 2,3 & 5 and could not identify the target.

post #23 of 100 Old 03-26-2004, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

has anyone tried this sucessfully?

A Never Ending Quest Τowards Visual Nirvana..
post #24 of 100 Old 03-26-2004, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dozens,

Thanks for that pick up. DAMM microsoft word!! It was helping me out by making that mini table a bulleted list with numbers for bullets. After 3 in a numerically bulleted list comes 4. I will mod the original posting with a new version of the Document.

Re your problem: Did you follow the upgrade instructions in that you must start the firmware loader while the BENQ is HARD Powered off (the switch or pull the plug) and then power on the BenQ. while the firmware loader is probing. That is because it only checks the RS232 port for a firmware change during an initial boot up.

takisot,

yes I have done this and upgraded the firmware in my Benq PE 8700.
post #25 of 100 Old 03-26-2004, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Dozens,

Thanks for that pick up. DAMM microsoft word!! It was helping me out by making that mini table a bulleted list with numbers for bullets. After 3 in a numerically bulleted list comes 4. I will mod the original posting with a new version of the Document.

Re your problem: Did you follow the upgrade instructions in that you must start the firmware loader while the BENQ is HARD Powered off (the switch or pull the plug) and then power on the BenQ. while the firmware loader is probing. That is because it only checks the RS232 port for a firmware change during an initial boot up.

takisot,

yes I have done this and upgraded the firmware in my Benq PE 8700.

Yes, when I plug in the 8700 OPlus pops up a dialog with an ok button and when clicked the closes. The instructions mentions installing OPlus. I did not get a setup.exe, just a bunch of .dll and a .exe file.

post #26 of 100 Old 03-26-2004, 10:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

dozens.

It seems to me that the loader is talking to the Benq. I do not have the setup system. I do not believe you need it. The OPlus loader makes no registry entries nor does it place anything in the windows directories. If you have all of the files as shown in the powerpoint presentation you should be all right.

I checked (buzzed out) my cable and it is straight through from DB9- to RJ11. that is pin2 on DB9 goes to pin 2 on RJ11, Pin 3 on DB9 goes to pin 3 on RJ11, Pin5 on DB9 may go to either Pin 1 or Pin 4 (mine goes to pin 1). The BenQ service schematics show these two pins of the RJ11 connector (1 & 4) tied together.

The only other thing I can think of is are you running the port at 115,200 baud, no parity, no flow control, 8 data bits 1 stop bit?. If you are not you might get the dialog because they will field the garbage charachter but do not get the right message.

I could ship you exactly what my directory is (contents) but I need an email address. It is 1.25 meg zipped without the hex file and without the ppt presentation which is over 2 meg by itself.
post #27 of 100 Old 03-26-2004, 11:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have just uploaded a new version of the cable construction data sheet. There were two mistakes in the original. (i) there was a typo which was caught, and (ii) the gender of the DB9 was incorrect, it needs to be a female. The document is located earlier in this thread. I apologize for any inconvenience.

If you have built the cable and which to test it out without changing the firmware you can use Hyperterminal or any similiar comm program.

Plug the cable into the Benq and the PC.
Bring up hyperterminal on the com port you are using and set the com parameters to
Baud rate=115200
Data bits=8
Stop Bits=1
Parity=None
Flow control=none.

Hit the enter key. You should see the ">" (without the quotes). That indicates the benq is ready talk.

Type in X01 followed by the enter key. This is the Power On Command. you should get back X0X indicating that the command was accepted. If you get back X1X or X2X these are errors. X1X is illegal format, X2X is illegal function

Some time later, depending on how long the command takes to execute, when the Benq is again ready you will get back X0_01X, exactly 6 charachters. The first and last X are because you sent an X class command. The 0_ is the positive acknowledge, and the 01 is an echo of the command code number you sent.

Here are some simple commands:

X01 Power On
X02 Power Off
X10 Menu
X11 Enter
X12 Exit
X13 Up
X14 Down
X15 Left
X16 Right

The X class commands are safe. There are also Y and Z class commands, and the Z class is dangerous as you can change any and all of the Benq adjustments. This has interesting possibilities for those who want to play in the video world. A program could be written to save all of the internal values so the system could be restored to a known state at any time, and files could be developed with different values of the internal adjustments for those who have a need to play deep inside the system. Contact me if you would like such a program.
post #28 of 100 Old 03-27-2004, 05:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

dozens.

It seems to me that the loader is talking to the Benq. I do not have the setup system. I do not believe you need it. The OPlus loader makes no registry entries nor does it place anything in the windows directories. If you have all of the files as shown in the powerpoint presentation you should be all right.

powerpoint presentation only list the contents of the setup program and I do not have many of those files.

Quote:

I checked (buzzed out) my cable and it is straight through from DB9- to RJ11. that is pin2 on DB9 goes to pin 2 on RJ11, Pin 3 on DB9 goes to pin 3 on RJ11, Pin5 on DB9 may go to either Pin 1 or Pin 4 (mine goes to pin 1). The BenQ service schematics show these two pins of the RJ11 connector (1 & 4) tied together.

Your cable seems different then what BenQ told me to make.
http://www.applied-motion.com/ampinf...s/modadapt.pdf
This link mentions rj11 but it has to be referring to rj12 because of talks about pin5.

Quote:

The only other thing I can think of is are you running the port at 115,200 baud, no parity, no flow control, 8 data bits 1 stop bit?. If you are not you might get the dialog because they will field the garbage charachter but do not get the right message.

That is exactly what I used.

Quote:

I could ship you exactly what my directory is (contents) but I need an email address. It is 1.25 meg zipped without the hex file and without the ppt presentation which is over 2 meg by itself. [/b]

please send them to = dao at pobox dot com

post #29 of 100 Old 03-27-2004, 06:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I am sending it now. That cable diagram can not be right. First of all the BenQ has a 4 position RJ11. It is positioned with the Key up when Cieling mounted, but if you have the benq on a table on its feet then the key is down. It is only a 4 position plug. In the 4 position plug, the two outside pins are jumped together in side the Benq. The two end pins are 1 and 4. The two middle pins are 2 and 3. The wiring will be such that the three wires will occupy 3 adjacent pins, with one of the end pins (1 or 4) not used. If you were to buy a normal telco RJ 11 cable the color coding of the wires SHOULD be as follows:

Pin 1 black
pin 2 Red
Pin 3 Green
Pin 4 Yellow

Telco cables for telephone use are normally built so the pairs are symmetric around the center. Red/Green is the standard connect for the first telco line, Black Yellow is standard for the 2nd telco line

Cut off one end and solder to a a female DB9

Pin 2 Red
Pin 3 Green
Pin 1 Black

Try that cable with hyperterminal as a described in a prior post in this thread. Make sure the com port is set up correctly (115200,None,8,1)

I will help you all I can
post #30 of 100 Old 03-27-2004, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Using the Applied Motion diagram I got a screen full of ">" when using hyperterm. When using your wiring scheme (I tried both pin 6 & pin 3 to DB5; using rj45 adaptor) I did not get any response from hyperterm.

On my rj45 adaptor pins 3, 4, 5 & 6 are colored black, red, green and yellow so I am kinda surprised that it didn't work. Do I need to powerup the 8700 to use hyperterm as well ?

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page