post #451 of 2271 Old 06-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by cologne
- when you shift the image up-down, then the center of the lens goes quite outside the projected image! To give a rough idea using numbers, I projected 2.2m away from the wall, the projector being fully flat placed (no keystone involved or necessary), at a height of 1.1m (base of PJ). The image's bottom pixel-line on the wall was at a height of 1.45m!
Was the lens shifted up, down, or centered when you found the image bottom to be .35m above the projector base?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2271 Old 06-20-2004, 12:45 PM

Liked: 10
sorry but it was all the way up. Is this far too bad for you?

1.45 metre = 4.75 feet
0.35 m = 1.15 ft
2.2 m = 7.22 ft

if you give a question like "2.2 metre = ? feet" to google it gives you the result

Cologne
post #453 of 2271 Old 06-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
sorry but it was all the way up. Is this far too bad for you?
Nothing to be sorry about. Thank you for the information. I think this is what we were looking for. The shift allows the projector base to be a reasonable amount above (for ceiling mount) or below the screen edge. This provides good adjustablity for either method of projection.
post #454 of 2271 Old 06-20-2004, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Hitchman
Stupid English measurement system! Why we couldn't have shifted over to metric is beyond me.

Argh!!

:)
Off topic: wasn't that confusion the reason for the loss of a spaceship to Mars ?

Back to topic: tomorrow I'm going to have a TX100 demo at my dealer's ... at last :)
I'm very curious about the vertical banding !
post #455 of 2271 Old 06-20-2004, 04:37 PM

Hmmm - good idea about the Neutral Density filter to get blacker blacks...

BTW When using a colored filter, how is it attached? - by sticking it onto the surround of the front of the lens, oir is there some other way?

BTW if there is anyone in Sydney Australia who can do the calibration, PM me as I want this service.

And I am wondering how can the tuning be done without the exact screen and the projector set with the exact throw that it will be viewed at, as both of these factors will directly and markedly affect color and the tone curve???

BTW As soon as I get a spare half hour (doing 3 jobs at moment) I will post my dodgy by-eye settings which may help someone. They are definitely not calibrated correctly but are the best settings I have found so far with my limited experimentation. (Note that these will probably not work for anyone else, and may make some peoples picture worse, and are garanteed not to be optimal - but with that undertsanding I will post em.)
post #456 of 2271 Old 06-20-2004, 04:38 PM

oops sorry slow browser - duplicate post
post #457 of 2271 Old 06-20-2004, 05:16 PM

Hello I am new and French ;)
Here some screens shot and adjustment of my TX100. It is the first time that I use a numerical camera to make screen shot, it is not badly but it is actually still better.
Do not pay attention to colorimetry or another adjustments, I do not manage to have real colorimetry with the numerical camera
Aldo
post #458 of 2271 Old 06-20-2004, 05:19 PM

To see my screen shot one needs gone on my site web in the mitre "mes photos" ;)
Aldo
post #459 of 2271 Old 06-20-2004, 07:00 PM

Bonjour, Aldo40. I found your web site listed in your profile and then the button in the center of the web page for photos. Looks nice!
post #460 of 2271 Old 06-20-2004, 07:38 PM

Quote:
OK, understood, just did the test for you and I have some interesting findings for you:
- when you shift the image up-down, then the center of the lens goes quite outside the projected image! To give a rough idea using numbers, I projected 2.2m away from the wall, the projector being fully flat placed (no keystone involved or necessary), at a height of 1.1m (base of PJ). The image's bottom pixel-line on the wall was at a height of 1.45m! I think this is good news for you
- as you would imagine the PJ can't physically "get outside" the projected image when we talk about side lens shifting (it can get of course if the image is also shifted up or down, but in that case thanks to the high/down lens shifting and not the right/left, I hope I make sense)
- what I just discovered playing with the lens shift is that if the up/down shift is placed at the natural center position (in both horizontal and vertical center positions there is a "click" indication) then the left/right shift is indeed 1/4 of the screen. Meaning, if you shift all the way to the right then the lens is placed 1/4 screen width from the left edge and 3/4 screen edge from the right, as expected. However, if let's say you have moved the image all the way up, utilizing the lens shift upwards to the maximum, then if you try to also shift left or right, you discover that this shift is approx 1/8 of the screen and not 1/4. Same happens with vertical shifting all the way down
Concluding, good news from first point, troublesome from last point for anybody who needs to push to the max both horizontal and vertical lens shift.

Hope I helped, sorry I used metric system but now you see how it feels for us Europeans when we read your ft and inch postings...
let me know if you need anything else.
Cheers,Cologne
Cologne , thx a lot for your info. Does the lens shift (in max) will degrade the pq (like Z2)?
post #461 of 2271 Old 06-20-2004, 09:11 PM

Has anyone obtained any information on a real release date for the US? I called a couple of Hitachi dealers today and none of them knew about this projector. Not a good sign for the US customers.
post #462 of 2271 Old 06-20-2004, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Siener
Bonjour, Aldo40. I found your web site listed in your profile and then the button in the center of the web page for photos. Looks nice!
Thank you ;)
For information, the lens horizontal shift of Z2 to larger than the TX100. Z2=3/4
TX100=1/4
But the colorimetry of the TX100 is so better ;)
I do not avoid same step of contrast and the luminosity :D, those which one seen and who one liked Z2, you suited adored the TX100 ;)
On the other hand there is a small whole can of vertical bending like Z2, there is machine which in one almost not like my model. Not badly of people on our premises one returned the machine for what one a large vertical banding but the SAV and the customer service react quickly ;)
This defect suitable for technology LCD is it is really not awkward, and when us summons to plunge in film one do not see it any more;) Vertical the banding is corrected by synchronization, we still did not find finely to hide or another handling to decrease the VB.
On Epson or Yamaha, panels LCD is synchronized to eliminate to the maximum the VB, as that must be panels EPSON on the TX100 that would be well to have a menu in the TX100 which would correct that. That must be possible because there is beautiful and many TX100 which one no visible VB, I have a comparative screen shot that I made with two different TX100, if somebody wants to see, I can given him in mail ;)
To finish, I wanted to say that the temperature of color 6500k out off the box is not well gauged, the image draws too much towards the red, I posted my adjustments on my site, I prefer specified for those which will be able attended demonstrations in show room or you would find them gauged seldom well ;)

Aldo
post #463 of 2271 Old 06-21-2004, 03:21 AM

Hi , my first observations with this pj. I have used a Panny AE100 for 2 years and i must say the hitachi is not better at all points.

first the pros :

build q is good ; details confirms this : gold plated video ins , power cable and video cable with ferrit-cores.

cooler is very silent

pq is very good with composite pal tv ( sharpness at 5 = max )

"optical black" ( black and contrast ) is very good at normal ( thats a iris 4 preset )

sd is not a problem ( 2,2 m sw and i sit at 2 x sw )

now the cons :

" optical black " at deep black ( iris 0 preset ) is to dark for most of the sources ( 75 % ) and i have a dark room ( but with white walls and cyling );
and not only for extra dark movies or programs ; i've tried Aliens with deep black : it was to dark ; i had to switch to normal (= iris 4 )

the vga input is worthless and thats a big problem because i used a htpc with the Panny ; composite tv ( sharpness at 5 ) is far better than via dscaler ( default , no filters ) (pj sharness at 5 ) .With the vga input the picture is not so clear and crisp.
idem dito for dvd via htpc ( windvd ) ; the picture is better with a standalone dvd player via s-video ! the diffference is not so much as with tv but with vga you clearly lose 3D effect

can be a con :

vb is clearly vissible in large surfaces with the same color ( shots of a large part of the grasssurface in a footbalmatch ) but is , for me , not a problem with tv or dvd.

question : can someone test if the DVI input is as bad as the VGA ?
for my tests i have connected the same source to both inputs and switched the inputs ( for Aliens the dvd ripped to hd and the dvd itself )

Despite some probs an excelent pj for the money if you can get it cheap ( i paid 1499 euro ; that was a special price , normal price here is 2000+ )
post #464 of 2271 Old 06-21-2004, 11:41 AM

Here is my experience : my first PJTX100 was VB-less ;) but a green "stain" (wich should be a dust dot) appeared in middle of screen -> return to Hitachi ...
1 week later i'm getting a brand new PJ, i turned it on and I stated VB on this one :( and another dust dot appeared after 10 hours working ...

my PJ is about to be return to Hitachi.

it is connected to a HTPC through DVI (ATI 9200SE) and the PQ is amazing :D
it also accepts 50hz for PAL movies, didnt have the time to try 48Hz yet but i will.
so TX100 is pretty compatible with HTPC and that's great news !
i plan to upgrade my HTPC to be able to play HD stuff and see what TX100 has in its guts !

good news as for the VB : after harassing our dear nice reseller, the technical support heard about it and he sent them a screenshot to demonstrate the VB. since then, they aknowledged the VB on TX100 and sent screenshot to Japan describing TX100 VB problem ...
it seems that things are working on the good way because Hitachi might find a solution to fix VB :D in next few weeks !

we'll let you know about this ! but be sure that all TX100 don't have VB ! it's kinda random, so don't be afraid of it because u should get a non VBed PJ ! but the PQ is really worth it ! don't know about a 3500 USD PJ worth, but here it sells for less than 1900 Euros ...
post #465 of 2271 Old 06-21-2004, 02:30 PM

@ danam
I see that you have a videocard with dvi out .
If you have or can get a standalone dvdplayer with s-video or rgb , is it possible to do a little test by feeding the same content ( dvd ) to that input and the dvi input and comparing the picture by switching between both inputs.
I have clearly a better ( 3D ) picture on the s-video-input than on the vga-input.
Merci d'avance .
post #466 of 2271 Old 06-21-2004, 02:41 PM

Just wondering if RailBird has recived his projector yet. I am thinking about ordering from the same company. Seems like it will be a lot less than anyone else so far.

Thanks

Andy
post #467 of 2271 Old 06-21-2004, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by erikkr
@ danam
I see that you have a videocard with dvi out .
If you have or can get a standalone dvdplayer with s-video or rgb , is it possible to do a little test by feeding the same content ( dvd ) to that input and the dvi input and comparing the picture by switching between both inputs.
I have clearly a better ( 3D ) picture on the s-video-input than on the vga-input.
Merci d'avance .
Hello erikkr,
For now i don't have any other dvd player, if i have some time during summer i'll ask friends to come to compare a "regular" dvd player VS. PCHT.
I'm also planning to test the Pioneer 868 VS PCHT :D but not before end of july / august !

Stay tuned :P
post #468 of 2271 Old 06-21-2004, 06:11 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Pacific Rim Island Arc pushes back the date again, this time to the 24th of June. Oh the agony. When the heck is the Hitachi supposed to land in the US of A? I doubt we'd get the PJ-TX100 up here in Canada before it arrives in the US, but I can't remember when its supposed to get to the States. Has there been a specific date yet?

What about expected BULB LIFE?!
Does Hitachi publish expected bulb life specs for their Projectors?
How are other Hitachi projectors doing with their bulbs?
The Hitachi PJ-TX100 looks as though it may be well vented, but who knows.
post #469 of 2271 Old 06-22-2004, 01:26 AM

I think they can't follow the demand in Europe . They made the right decision to start of here in a lesser saturated market ( compared to US and Japan ) so that they have more change to get a share of the market ( Sanyo did here very wel ).
Best way to get one now is to order in the UK.
About the bulb life :
They are correct to their customers : the maintenance part of the manual stated : ".....Note that each lamp has a different lifetime , and some may burst or burn out soon after you start using them...."
However , they gave a warranty of 6 months or 2000 hours on the bulb ( whichever occurs first )
post #470 of 2271 Old 06-22-2004, 01:36 AM

hi all

Ive had my tx100 for a week or so, theres definite VB, i wouldnt say its really bad but you dont have to look too hard to see it (even my wife noticed it without me saying anything). Apart from that its a stunning projector :)
Lets hope the VB is tweakable in some way.
post #471 of 2271 Old 06-22-2004, 05:09 AM

Saw the TX100 at the dealer's and personally, I think the VB is annoying.

Especially because I like to see movies like Top Gun, Dark Blue World, The Right Stuff. The VB is just too visible in many scenes (dogfights etc.).
I really hope there'll be some tweak , because other than the VB I liked the picture quality.
post #472 of 2271 Old 06-22-2004, 05:24 AM

I also have a green (dust?) blob near the bottom on mine. Can this be cleaned? or do i have to go through the hassle of replacing it and risk one with worse VB (haven't noticed it on mine yet)? BTW PQ through HTPC DVI is fantastic.
post #473 of 2271 Old 06-22-2004, 05:53 AM

milester: Do you have special powerstrip settings? I have set my resolution to 1280x720@60Hz using DVI but it does not seem to be pixel perfect. Is there any timing tweaks to this or is it the resolution that should result in pixel perfect reults without tweak when using DVI?
post #474 of 2271 Old 06-22-2004, 05:59 AM

I was wondering if anyone has recived there order from Progressive-av.com ? They have a great price and thought I would see how quick there service is on getting an order from them. They seem like a great company to deal with. Looks like you can save a few hundered dollars from the prices out of japan.

Andrew

Thanks

Andy
post #475 of 2271 Old 06-22-2004, 06:14 AM

I should get mine early next week, I think... My contact at progressive-av emailed me today and said my bank transfer should go through by the end of today and that they'd ship my unit tomorrow.
post #476 of 2271 Old 06-22-2004, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally posted by milester
I also have a green (dust?) blob near the bottom on mine. Can this be cleaned? or do i have to go through the hassle of replacing it and risk one with worse VB (haven't noticed it on mine yet)? BTW PQ through HTPC DVI is fantastic.
you'll have to take the case apart and blast the panels. Or, if you don't want to do that you could probably send it to HItachi or soemone else to do the cleaning for you.

ROB
post #477 of 2271 Old 06-22-2004, 07:33 AM

Zippo,

Haven't had much of a chance to play around tweaking yet. Currently running the TX100 through a Radeon with the latest Catalyst drivers (1280 x 720, 60 Hz). It looks pixel perfect to me, but i'm no expert. Would quite like to know what the best settings for PAL material is though (50 Hz, 75 Hz ???).
post #478 of 2271 Old 06-22-2004, 07:47 AM

milester:
A pretty good way to spot if it is pixel perfect is to open the explorer and look at the text. If you have clear type turned off each line of a character should only be one pixel wide. If there is pixels nearby that are darker creating some kind of anti aliasing effect then it is not pixel perfect.

50Hz is the choice for PAL material since this is the inherent refresh rate in PAL video. Since progressive PAL is 25 frames per second then a multiple of 25 should be ok but mostly used for those with CRT that need a higher refresh rate to have a stable image i believe.
post #479 of 2271 Old 06-22-2004, 09:21 AM

Text is visible better at 50 Hz then at 60 Hz but it is not pixelperfect. And i know how pixelperfect looks ; i've had a Panny AE100 for 2 years. Furthermore , the Panny has 2 settings for adjusting the position on PC : dot clock and clock phase ; the Hitachi seems to have only one : clock phase ( the auto button ) .
I think thats the reason that, against all logics, i still have a far better tv picture via composite than via vga and a slightly better dvd picture via s-video then via vga.
I search the dotpatterns that i used with the Panny and do some further tests.
post #480 of 2271 Old 06-22-2004, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Would the Infocus Screenplay 4805 DLP projector for around $1,400 then seem like a better overall unit than these lower-end LCD units?

At least if you had about a 92" negative gain screen the benefits of more accurate colors (practically D6500 out of the box according to some), much better black level, and a brigher image would outway the high resolution with VB, dust blobs, grayish blacks, and non-uniform color and brightness (and possible dead pixels or color splotches).

The IF 4805 that I saw at the Denver, Colorado shootout was compared to Studio Experience's Z2 clone. Even though the image was somewhat more detailed on 720p material, it seemed like most people in attendance were drawn more to the low rez. DLP's 3-D like image than the murkier, grittier, VB-riddled Z2 clone... especially when the image wasn't blown up greater than 92".

Am I on to something here?

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page