Hitachi PJ-TX100 - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2004, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hurrah! I am officially an owner of the TX100. The package arrived today after leaving UK on Monday. It was well packaged and everything seems to be in excellent shape. I haven't hooked it up yet but I wanted to report back on the delivery. I had them declare it as a computer display for customs and they also included the official classification number that I passed along. No delay at customs so I guess it went fine. Based on the markings, it came in through JFK on Wednesday. So the complete timeline so far is:

6/17: Wired the funds
6/21: Funds cleared and unit shipped (includes a weekend)
6/24: Delivered into my hot little hands

-J-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2004, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Railbird - amazing!
Hook it up! Hook it up! Hook it up! Hook it up!
Old 06-24-2004, 07:04 PM

I am also planning to buy this pj. My room's walls and ceiling is in white color, so what type of screen should i use for best picture quality?
Old 06-24-2004, 08:40 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Railbird,

Very cool. Congratulations on being one of the first, if not possibly THE first person in North America with the latest Hitachi LCD projector, (aside from possibly some sales people who are playing and haven't said anything).

I wonder if this puppy is going to prove to be a worthy and preferable alternative to the Sanyo Z2 and Panasonic PT500? Too bad it won't be an option within North America at this point.

Test that baby out report your findings :)
Old 06-24-2004, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chronix
My understanding is that the lamp life is 2000 hours - 4000 hours depending on how much of the low lamp (eco) mode you use. I've read somewhere that a replacement lamp is around 280 euros (340 US$).
I have no confirmation on that however ...
Wow, that replacement bulb price seems pretty steep. The TX-100 has one of the lowest bulb prices of any budget LCD projector here in Japan (lower than the Z2 or AE100, and WAY lower than the Epson 200). I've seen it advertised here for just a little over $200 U.S. Considering the European street price for this PJ is very close to the Japan street price, I can't see how they can justify such a steep mark-up for the lamp (It's not like the bulbs cost a fortune to ship!).
Old 06-24-2004, 08:43 PM

for some reason the Hitachi pj-tx100 is horribly expensive in the US.. not that im complaining.. Australia actually gets it cheaper for once..

oh and the aussie one has 2 year hitachi warranty
Old 06-25-2004, 01:13 AM

Hi,

Railbird, congratulations with your Hitachi.

Funny..., that most US Forum-members are very eager to hear about Railbird's experiences with his projector. Some european members have already posted their findings. The projector of Railbird is sold in Europe, so why should the same projector perform differently in the US?

I think it's obvious for everyone visiting this forum, that the PJ-TX100 delivers good performance. But, I think the only Issue with this projector is VB (Vertical Bending). I find it very strange that most questions about this problem are ignored by other forum-members. :confused:
(If the VB-problem can be solved, I would immediately buy this great projector. )

Erikkr, I've send you a PM.

Randal
Old 06-25-2004, 01:20 AM

Update: Everything is in excellent working order! The UK retailer put the projector box inside another box for shipping and it came through without a scratch. The projector itself is well protected with firm but cushy packing holders.

I wanted to make sure that the unit basically worked so I powered it up. First, it is the PJ-TX100E unit. There are two other units with different ending letters (TX100W and TX100U) and each is targeted at a different market. As far as I could tell the only difference is the set of power cords that are included. My unit included cords with plugs for UK and Europe. The unit takes the standard 1 piece cords that plug into the back of a computer and fortunately, I have plenty of those around and it works just find.

I don't have a screen yet so I was only able to use my living room wall with fairly strong ambient light conditions. I didn't focus on PQ though it looked excellent when I mentally adjusted for the poor display conditions! I just wanted to look for any gross display problems that would indicate a defective unit. I was able to used the component inputs directly from my cable box and catch the end of the Yankees/Baltimore game in HD on INHD. I didn't see any areas on the screen with color shifts or dead pixels though a good screen will be required for a final assessment.

I plan to use the projector both for entertainment and as part of my artistic creative process. I am an oil painter who is integrating the latest digital technology into my creative process. I use software like Photoshop and Painter to play with ideas and I want to use the projector to display them directly onto canvases so I can get an idea of how they will work as a traditional oil painting and what scale does to them. It frees them from the confines of my computer display.

Secondly, I will use the projector for playing back DVD's and HD content again from my computer. I also plan to create CG animations of my own that will get the "projector" treatment!

Using the projector as my computer display is something I am going to start on tomorrow so I will report back on how that goes. The review of the TX100 as an entertainment unit will come next week. I am going to get together with a couple other avsforum folks in the area with better rigs that I have and see what it can do.

-J-
Old 06-25-2004, 02:24 AM

OMG OMG OMG OMG!

I just put a deposit on the tx100..

will get it early july.. :D :D :D

Cost was AU$3200 including full 5 year parts and labour warranty
Old 06-25-2004, 02:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1066 Post(s)
Liked: 541
Railbird,

So, it sounds like you have to buy a separate computer-based power supply's 3 prong, grounded power cord for the UK model to use in the U.S.A., correct? I unfortunately don't have any lying around. They're probably $10 max I would assume.

How did you handle the warranty issue of buying it overseas?

Dan

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Old 06-25-2004, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Megahowler
OMG OMG OMG OMG!

I just put a deposit on the tx100..

will get it early july.. :D :D :D

Cost was AU$3200 including full 5 year parts and labour warranty
congrats! I've seen you post a couple messages about different prices in Australia - Where did you end up sourcing yours from?
(finding them here in WA has been impossible so far)
PM me if you aren't comfortable discussing your purchase on the board!

Thanks and I'm looking forward to hearing your results!
Jen
Old 06-25-2004, 03:19 AM

well i swiped a camera from work, but by the time i got around to taking any pics it was late and i was a bit worse for wear after the england game (damn penalties!), so i only got 2 pics even half worth showing lol. They are a bit grainy and pixellated but this is purely down to my ineptitude with the camera, the pics are only useful to give an idea of contrast and colour.
Excuse the motion blur, im sure the house was swaying ;)

oh yeh, Im using a £45 dvd player with cheap component leads throwing onto a light grey wall.

h!!p://www.geocities.com/danspiller2003/3ps.jpg

h!!p://www.geocities.com/danspiller2003/4ps.jpg

i will get some better pics next week. :)
Old 06-25-2004, 03:38 AM

Here are my settings :

Brightness +0
Contrast +0
Gamma: custom +10,+9,+8,+7,+6,+5,+4,+3
Color temp: custom, all flat.
Sharpness 3
Iris 4
Whisper mode.

I've tested with 2 very colorful movies Moulin Rouge and The Fifth Element and the color is by default good calibrated ( i suppose the pj uses an internal compensation filter for the bulbcolortemp )
I use an htpc with vga pp and windvd 5 in prog mode and the picture quality is now incredible .
About the gamma-setting : the 1 block on the left is the black-level and can not be changed ; adjust the 2 block so that you can clearly see the difference between the two ( that was for my pj +10 and that improves the contrast ) ; set the 1 block on the right at +3 ( that improves the highlights ; makes all the small lights in Moulin Rouge chap 13 more vivid ; they are otherwise to dark with the iris at 4 )
Make a smooth curve between the 2 and the 9 block ; that can be for your pj +6,+6,+5,+5,+4,+4,+3,+3 ( that improves the general brightness witch is a bit to dark in some scenes at iris 4 )
Old 06-25-2004, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by erikkr
Here are my settings :

Brightness +0
Contrast +0
Gamma: custom +10,+9,+8,+7,+6,+5,+4,+3
Color temp: custom, all flat.
Sharpness 3
Iris 4
Whisper mode.

I've tested with 2 very colorful movies Moulin Rouge and The Fifth Element and the color is by default good calibrated ( i suppose the pj uses an internal compensation filter for the bulbcolortemp )
I use an htpc with vga pp and windvd 5 in prog mode and the picture quality is now incredible .
About the gamma-setting : the 1 block on the left is the black-level and can not be changed ; adjust the 2 block so that you can clearly see the difference between the two ( that was for my pj +10 and that improves the contrast ) ; set the 1 block on the right at +3 ( that improves the highlights ; makes all the small lights in Moulin Rouge chap 13 more vivid ; they are otherwise to dark with the iris at 4 )
Make a smooth curve between the 2 and the 9 block ; that can be for your pj +6,+6,+5,+5,+4,+4,+3,+3 ( that improves the general brightness witch is a bit to dark in some scenes at iris 4 )

great, i will have a tinker with the gamma settings when i get a chance :)
Old 06-25-2004, 04:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Picture
Brightness +4
Contrast +0
Gamma - Custom 1
(-5,-4,-3,-2,+2,+4,+5,+6)
Color Temperature - Dynamic
Sharpness 3

Color Temperature "Dynamic" is giving you problems in color accuracy. The Dynamic mode has the best contrast, but the color temperature is much too cool with a great loss of red:

http://www.cine4home.de/Tuning/Hitachi-PJ100/m8.JPG

If you want to get more accurate colors you should put it to 6500K, of course that means a loss of contrast :-(

Regards,
Ekkehart, www.cine4home.de
Old 06-25-2004, 04:47 AM

I have saw it yesterday here in Spain,

¡¡¡It´s a wonderfull projector!!!

The only problem is the Vertical Banding, but the lasts Z2, Epson´s 200 & 500 and Yami LPX-510 don´t have it with the same panels, so, Hitachi should get it working 100% VB free for the next firmware release, I´m sure.

Very quiet, very bright, good contrast (don´t tried DVI, suppossed to be also better), good shadow details, inexpensive lamp, the lens shift, no pixels, etc, etc...What else do you want?

I´ve order mine. :D

Nacho.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:15 AM

Congrats Railbird! Very exciting news indeed.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:22 AM

Hi all,

I was browsing the Hitachi US web site and noticed they now have the TX100 info posted.

http://www.hitachi.us/tv/browse/lcd_.../PJTX100.shtml
Old 06-25-2004, 07:44 AM

Sorry if this is old news, but the TX100 is also out on projectorcentral.com now:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/Hita...ltraVision.htm
Old 06-25-2004, 08:38 AM

My settings for DVI output from a Sapphire ATI 9200SE 128MB:

Hitachi TX100:
Brightness: 0
Contrast: 0
Color temp: Custom, all 0
Gamma: Custom 1, +8 +7 +6 +5 +4, basically it is only the first (+8 that makes any effect as far as I can see)
Sharpness: 3

Whisper: Whisper
Iris: 4

ATI overlay settings on the computer:
Brightness: +11%
Contrast: 96%

BTW: I'm using a DIY screen painted with S2000 paint (slightly grey)

VB: There is VB but not that bad. I can't compare it to component since I don't have any source or cables for that.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:50 AM

OK!!!!
Thank you Erikkr for the Gamma curve inspiration. I tried your curve, corrected the black level (brightness + 3) and calibrated for the best distribution on the internal grayscale and the DVE grayscale, with bias towards a finer gradation in the highlights and higher contrast in the midtones. I also changed the blue and red offsets and the image is a huge leap forward. Finally the flatness has gone and I am much, much happier with the image (for my particular projector in my particular environment). With these settings I am now less concerned by thought of image tweaking and I am getting lost in the experience of the movies themselves. I paused my R2 Superbit of Lawrence of Arabia (best quality version by the way) to come and type this, and looking over my shoulder it looks glorious.

Here are the settings for my DVD sourced DVI signal:

Revised settings next page

I would love to hear how others find this setting and any comments from the gods (Thats you Cine4Home :-)
Old 06-25-2004, 10:43 AM

Dan, if I need to get something fixed under warranty I will send the unit to the UK company I bought it from and they will act as my agent. That will make the costs higher than they would be if you were working with someone closer.

-J-
Old 06-25-2004, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Interesting. In XXXXXjapan.com it says production is delayed.

I wonder what that means?
Old 06-25-2004, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by doggiedog

I hope is they are solving Vertical Banding:D

Nacho.
Old 06-25-2004, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by doggiedog

With many multinationals its just a case of supplying international markets before domestic. If the demand isnt overwhelming then the extra time it takes to get through to the international channels synchs with the slightly later domestic release. If the demand is great then this can cause problems. Likewise with gearing up production for a large channel (US for example) which may delay release to other channels.

One could imagine that some sort of manufacturing problem may delay release, but that would affect all releases, so most likely the former is more likely to be the reason.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:21 AM

Firstly, I don't want to put any doubts into anyone's minds about the capabilities of this projector so maybe it is an isolated incident. I have had this projector for about two weeks and today I've noticed that there is excessive flickering when using it through the component video inputs. This is mainly evident in text and stationary images. I have pretty good component video cables and no matter what component cable I use I end up with the same result. First I thought it was vertical banding since I did not know what vertical banding is, but after some research I realised it wasn't.

For all those who own this projector, have you noticed this problem? I haven't tried it through VGA or DVI so I don't know if it's evident there.

Thanks
Old 06-26-2004, 03:27 AM

cyberpogo:
No flickering at all on DVI. When I used a long VGA cable I got flickering. Using a shorter cable took it away so in that case I guess it was the quality of the cable.
Old 06-26-2004, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HumanMedia
Here are the settings for my DVD sourced DVI signal:

Picture
Brightness +3
Contrast +0
Gamma - Custom 4
(+11,+9,+7,+4,+1,-4,-8,-11)
Color Temperature - Custom
(+6,0,-6,+18,+18,+18)
Sharpness 3

Setup
Keystone +0
Whisper Whisper
Iris 4
I have now tried these settings and they do not work well for me unaltered. Gamma - Custom 4 is too bright and crushes all white details for me. Instead I use Gamma - Custom 1 but otherwise with the same settings.
Nice!
Old 06-26-2004, 07:40 AM

Hi. I don't have a DVI output on my video so I hooked it up on VGA and there is no flickering. It seems that it is only the Component Video inputs which cause this. Any ideas? The cables I've tried are very good (a variety of Monster Cables). The strange thing is that I didn't notice the flickering before so not sure if it's always been there or if it's just happened recently.
Old 06-26-2004, 12:33 PM

Railbird,

Have you tried using a computer through the projector yet? I am curious what the highest resolution supported is.

Thanks.