Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally posted by Beeblebrox_dk
Hi Forum and Delurk :-)

Cine4Home:
I read your extensive tweak article on your website but I am not 100% confident with german (or projectors) so I hope you can clarify. The color imbalance you identify and adjust, will that be the same settings for all PJ-TX100's? Or are these settings good only for yours specifically?

In general:
Which screens are you guys using with the PJ-TX100? I was planning to go for 90"-100" in silvergray with a gain of 0.8 Is that a resonable choice or is there something that works even better?

-Claus
To answer for Cine4Home - The color imbalance will be different for each projector and the filter used to correct this imbalance will be different and then this will also need different projector settings to suit. (Im sure there are some common compensations that can be made, given enough sample projectors to determine the model-wide variations)

Im using a matte white screen with a gain of 1.0-1.2. This is a tad too high and I would be using a neutral grey screen if they were cheap enough here in Australia. The one you mention sounds very good. Also your viewing distance will dictate your screen size, but 90"-100" sounds good. I went with a 96" because 100" was too large for a viewing distance of 3.9m Even 96" is bordeline on little large for that distance IMO. I should have gone 92"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2271 Old 07-11-2004, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Anyone using or planning to use a blackout material screen with the PJ-TX100?

I just built the frame today. Hoping to stretch the BO cloth tomorrow. 98" 16:9 ratio. Turned out good so far. I am no carpenter but at least it is square and the measurments came out perfect. Now I just need to get the TX-100 :)

It's not the size of your subwoofer.....ok, yeah it is:)
post #723 of 2271 Old 07-11-2004, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jcam9
Has anyone had a chance to compare the TX-100 to the Sony HS20 yet? This will probably be my deciding factor. I have seen the Sony with HD and loved it. If the TX-100 can stay with it or better I will jump of the fence. Cine4Home??
As someone has already replied, cine4home has done a comparison of the two and found them to be close performance wise. However, there is no doubt the tx100 is a much better value as it can be had for much cheaper than the hs20. Sure it costs more here in the US with hitachi's pricing structure but I hope for customer's sake that they aren't buying the tx100 in the US. The fact you can get 2 tx100s from japan for about what you would pay for one here in the US should calm anyone's fear of possible warranty concerns.

Jaime

If you can't say anything kind at least have the decency to be vague...
post #724 of 2271 Old 07-11-2004, 08:11 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Jam9,

Cool. I have a blackout screen with my L200 and I've seen a blackout material screen with a Sanyo Z1 and I love the look. I think it would be nice to see if it works ok with the Hitachi PJ-TX100.

Hey TX100 owners! Use your LCD projectors lots and lots in the summer. Use them smart, don't overheat them, but don't be shy, since you're under warranty, we need lots of feedback from you new owners! Rack up the hours and report your experiences here, good and not so good :)

...ok, so you're not going to rack up more hours cause of my request, but anyways, have fun with them and let us know how it goes :D
post #725 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 01:51 AM

Ive only put 10 hours on my tx100 but im getting a yellow discoloration in all the corners... Mainly the top and bottom left..

what the hell is it? should i be contacting Hitachi?
post #726 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HumanMedia
Yep settings are different for all projectors. But my guess is that there are some common characteristsics that can be brought into line with similar settings for all of this model. Also similar end results can be achieved with very different settings. If you look at my examples these use very different compensations for different gamma curves which yield very similar results. Also keep in mind that each Gamma custom is only a compensation curve applied to each of the preset gamma curves (1-4). So your settings above do not mention which gamma curve they relate to. These gamma settings will give completely different results depending on which 'Custom Gamma' (1-4) that they are entered into.

I am very interested if others get posative results with the settings I have posted.
Yes each TX100 can be different but in general naked let us not have the same adjustments in France compared to you, it is for that which I asked whether the TX100 were different according to the countries, is the this fact that the electrical current is not the same one, 115 or 110v for you and 220V on our premises?
Aldo
post #727 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 03:00 AM

Thanks for you answer...

Quote:
HumanMedia
Im using a matte white screen with a gain of 1.0-1.2. This is a tad too high and I would be using a neutral grey screen if they were cheap enough here in Australia. The one you mention sounds very good.
That's good to hear :)

Quote:
HumanMedia
Also your viewing distance will dictate your screen size, but 90"-100" sounds good. I went with a 96" because 100" was too large for a viewing distance of 3.9m Even 96" is bordeline on little large for that distance IMO. I should have gone 92"
And this was very good to know too; my viewing distance will be about 3.5m. I assume when we talk screen sizes it is the diagonal measurement, not the width, we are talking about?

Anyway, my plan was to use my white wall for the first few weeks and play around with the projected size :rolleyes: until I'm happy with it :) - and then go buying a screen in the corresponding size.

Quote:
Megahowler
Ive only put 10 hours on my tx100 but im getting a yellow discoloration in all the corners... Mainly the top and bottom left..
Now this makes me nervous... :confused: I think I have read about this issue before and even a few in this thread allready(?)...

It would be great if all you happy(?) PJ-TX100 owners with some hours on their projectors could respond with wether or nor this is something you have noticed? I would be great to learn if it's a general problem or just a few unlucky exceptions...

...And cheer up everbody, theres only 5 days to the next weekend now... :D

-Claus ;)
post #728 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 03:34 AM

im thinking the discolorations may have been caused by the fact i had my projector sitting on top of the Television.. ive unplugged and ill report back tomorrow after its had a chance to completely discharge
post #729 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 04:02 AM

discharge?

lcd projectors aren't affected by magnetic fields (though putting the projector with all the electronics and motors on top of the tele might have been bad for the tele picture!)

if you are thinking it was a static charge on the panels... I wouldn't have thought that would be possible (there would be a lot more static from the cold air stream across the panels on a dry day, so obviously they have some way to deal with static).. but I would have thought static would result in a dust problem rather than a discoloration (is that "discolouration" in Australia?)

scary - but who knows what these things do during a settling in period...
*fingers crossed for you*
Jen
post #730 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 04:11 AM

After 40 hrs I have a slight purple discoloration in my upper left corner which can only be seen with certain grey nuances. My old LCD projector was much worse so I'm not that concerned yet.

Discoloration is one of the cons of LCD projectors. Let's hope it stays at soft or no discoloration on the TX100.
post #731 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Aldo40
Yes each TX100 can be different but in general naked let us not have the same adjustments in France compared to you, it is for that which I asked whether the TX100 were different according to the countries, is the this fact that the electrical current is not the same one, 115 or 110v for you and 220V on our premises?
Aldo
Let's not forget that the source affects the settings alot. I'm using DVI from my Radeon 9200 and I don't use HumanMedia's settings straight off. I leave the color bias (?) flat since it is enough red in the picture to me. Each source will need its own calibration.

I would be very surprised if voltage would make any dramatic change reflected in the settings.
post #732 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 07:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked: 143
The yellow issue is most likely caused by the blue polarizer going funky. Amazing it is happening after 10 hours though. Usually it happens after hundreds of ours.

You could probably send it back to Hitachi and have them replace the polarizer but I suggest waiting to see if it gets worse before sending it back.

As has been said, this issue (and the purple/green corners thing) is an issue with LCD pjs.

ROB
post #733 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 09:07 AM

Adding this to this thread, as it belongs here, instead of alone:

Hitachi TX-100 LCD refresh rate?
Does anyone know the refresh/response rate of the LCD pixels on the Hitachi TX-100?

One of the biggest problems with LCD monitors these days is the face that you have to have one that is under 20ns in order to not get the motion blur that one will get while playing games. You won't notice it on movies, but on games...

Ox///M
post #734 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 09:35 AM

I guess you mean 20ms .. 20 nanoseconds is pretty darn fast ;)
post #735 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Ox///M
Does anyone know the refresh/response rate of the LCD pixels on the Hitachi TX-100?
Probably the same as on the Sanyo Z2, Panasonic AE500, Epson Cinema 200 or 500, Yamaha... since they all use the same Epson panels (or so I've heard).
post #736 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimmyv
Probably the same as on the Sanyo Z2, Panasonic AE500, Epson Cinema 200 or 500, Yamaha... since they all use the same Epson panels (or so I've heard).
Correct. I have heard the same, yet I haven't heard the refresh time on any of those projectors. Let me perform a quick search...

hmmm, I didn't find anything. But that's probably due to my lack of skill on searching AVS.

Sorry, I meant 20ms, not nanoseconds. I was thinking of RAM at the time.

Ox///M
post #737 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 12:42 PM

How exactly are people handling the warranty issue with foreign imports into the US? I'd love to buy the projector ASAP (without paying as much as US retailers seem to want) and want to see if there are any drawbacks to the approach (other than getting a power adapter). Thanks.
post #738 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally posted by Ox///M
I haven't heard the refresh time on any of those projectors.
I haven't seen anyone quote refresh rates either (in fact I tried to find some spec's on the D4 panels anywhere on the net using Google without success), however, I believe most of the contention about playing games on these projectors is over 4x3 format vs 16x9 format, not refresh rates. I've seen messages from HorrorScope about how great playing games on his z2 is, you might pm him or search the projector forums for gaming threads.
post #739 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Beeblebrox_dk
tomorrow I'm laying down the payment for the beauty and then it should arrive within the week... Can't wait, it's my first projector ever :-)
Well, well, thursday or friday this week Target Express is going to make me very happy.... 3 days is not really a long time to wait is it? :cool:

But why is the hours going .... so ....darn ...slow .... then ...? :o Been looking at the calendar several times today and it still says July 12th.... :confused: I think this is going to be a looooong week...

-Claus
post #740 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 09:31 PM

Does this PJ come with anything to assist in calibration? If not, would it be worthwhile buying the AVIA disc or similar for calibration? I will be connecting with a HTPC.

P.S. If anyone has bought this PJ from Japan, does it come with a Japanese language remote control?
post #741 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 09:46 PM

WOOP WOOP WOOP

projector isnt yellow anymore.. i left it unplugged in the kitchen overnight and now the yellow has disappeared

WOOOHOOOO
post #742 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cpc
Nope there are a few others, at least one other here that I've seen in this thread. Basically the same deal as Railbird. What intrigues me is the VAT system, although I bet the Canadian government sticks our own taxes to us regardless. US buyers importing from the UK so far haven't been charged taxes so far as I've heard. Interesting. Duties aren't charged because of the computer aspect of the purchase.

:)
A 6% duty is charged by Canada Customs, in addition to the 7% GST. I've confirmed this with CCRA.

But at least you don't have to pay the VAT.
post #743 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 10:26 PM

I was just notified they are back in stock in the UK from the place most seem to be buying from.

Megahowler, glad to hear your not yeller any more :)

It's not the size of your subwoofer.....ok, yeah it is:)
post #744 of 2271 Old 07-12-2004, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Jcam9
I was just notified they are back in stock in the UK from the place most seem to be buying from.
The source I buy from (also UK) has several in stock and can be persuaded to sell to what I believe is UK's lowest price. Lowest price in Europe I have found and I did quite a bit of research ;)

They also perform a precheck (dead pixels, color blotches, color uniformity errors) before they send. If the encounter problems the projector gets pulled. I did a search on other forums => only succes stories, also a few years after deal when problems occur.

Ozviewer: There is no calibration tools included in the package. I was recommended to buy either AVIA or DVE. I'll probably go for the DVE as I don't need sound setup + it comes in a PAL version.

-Claus
post #745 of 2271 Old 07-13-2004, 05:46 AM

All those new, happy TX100 owners. Congrats to you all!

Any signs of vertical banding on your (UK) pj's?
post #746 of 2271 Old 07-13-2004, 06:02 AM

drace-nl: There is definitely vertical banding on mine. I can stand it but of course I would like some way of tweaking it away.
post #747 of 2271 Old 07-13-2004, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beeblebrox_dk
The source I buy from (also UK) has several in stock and can be persuaded to sell to what I believe is UK's lowest price. Lowest price in Europe I have found btw and I did quite a bit of research ;)

They also perform a precheck (dead pixels, color blotches, color uniformity errors) before they send. If the encounter problems the projector gets pulled. I did a search on other forums => only succes stories, also a few years after deal when problems occur.
Phew this is generating a lot of interest; is it legal to post a link here to my own website where I name the dealer?

-Claus
post #748 of 2271 Old 07-13-2004, 10:36 AM
fwf

I haven't seen this posted yet, but the Owner's Manual is here:

PJ-TX100 MANUAL

Frank

"If you aren't confused, you don't understand the situation."
post #749 of 2271 Old 07-13-2004, 12:04 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 17
Sweet find. I've been looking for that!!

reaper
post #750 of 2271 Old 07-13-2004, 01:55 PM

hi

as for the calibration tools, there is a grey scale provided in the menu, good for contrast setup. besides that nothing really.

for the VB some of the french items are "infected", the problem is known by hitachi japan and it seems that they are working on it, we don t know yet how they will proceed (firmware, new vp, ...) neither when it will be announced.

we also have some green dust stains appearing after a few hours wich is not normal in such a short time ...

besides that the tx100 delivers a great picture, great colors and a really good traveling management, no jerking picture !
and the lens shift is really neat too !

pretty good pj for its price ! maybe the best in LCD technology so far !
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page