Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #2251 of 2271 Old 12-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I went with a straight HDMI cable about 40 feet which is run up the wall and over the ceiling. I figured that my next projector would probably be HDMI. The HDMI cable terminates in the wall and ceiling with these http://www2.dvigear.com/hdmiwallplates.html . I have hdmi to dvi cables attached to each end. I tested this setup by tossing the HDMI cable on the floor and I had a bad case of sparkles. I then laid the wire out neatly with nothing crossing over it or loops and the sparkles disappeared. I have a good quality Audioquest HDMI cable. I would recommend buying a good cable for longer distances and be especially careful on the cable routing. I only use my DVI for HD satellite and computer. I was told that and DVI -HDMI -DVI is electrically the same as a straight DVI and it appears to work that way for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 2271 Old 12-28-2005, 09:46 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Interesting. I used a DVI cable from my iScan HD to my TX100 a while back and it worked fine for a least a few weeks/months, and then one day I turned it on, and there were sparklies. I suspect the connections were not the greatest. I will try the DVI cable again with the iScan Ultra. I thought an HDMI cable almost automatically by definition was something that would not have sparklies. So your source player is HDMI?

Thanx regarding the feedback about the HDMI to DVI issues.

1) So I guess the loss of below black/rounding errors do not always occur with HDMI>DVI? Has anybody compared another connection?

2) Which player would be best between the newest OPPO vs Panny S77 or S97?

3) Has anybody experienced macroblocking with any of the above players and the TX100?

thanx guys

:)

P.S. As I said, I use VGA from an iScan Ultra and find it looks ok. Who knows, maybe I am missing black level info in some a>d and d>a conversion between component to RGB or something. Maybe I should check my outputs. I am checking about the HDMI > DVI on behalf of somebody else :) thanx
post #2253 of 2271 Old 12-28-2005, 10:26 AM
Advanced Member

My sources are all DVI no HDMI so my use of an HDMI cable presents no problems as the 8 bit RGB signal is passed through with no modifications. I don't know why an RGB signal passing through an HDMI cable would be better or support longer runs then DVI, after all its only wire.
post #2254 of 2271 Old 12-28-2005, 10:31 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

IIRC HDMI spec (including cables) was supposed to be designed with a greater bandwidth than DVI. That is why I figured an HDMI cable should not have sparklies. Being designed with a greater bandwidth, why would HDMI have this sparkle issue? I guess its not all about bandwidth. Bandwidth was originally connected to the length/quality issue with DVI cables and it is why I made sure I got a "dual-link" cable, because I understood dual-link cables were good to higher bandwidths. Anyhow...

I wonder what the video processing in the TX100 is. I guess it is 8 bit via DVI. I wonder what I am getting with the iScan Ultra VGA. I suppose it may be 10 bit, but is of course output as analog RGB via my VGA cable. Anyhow...

The TX200 has 10 bit video processing. Does anyone recall whether the TX100 has 8 or 10 bit video processing?
post #2255 of 2271 Old 12-29-2005, 08:58 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

How should I connect a Panasonic S77 HDMI output to my TX100 DVI input?

(background) - I bought a DVI cable to use with an iScan HD outputting 720p and it was a DVI-I dual-link. It worked ok for a while, but one day I did experience some sparkles. I will try it again with my iScan Ultra (at 480p of course), as somebody has mentioned that cable routing is important. Secrets of Hi-Fi home video mentioned that they had issues with some dual-link DVI cables and some dvd players. Now I am talking about using the S77 with the TX100.

So what is the best method to connect an S77 to the TX100?
HDMI>HDMI cable and HDMI>DVI adapter? ... or
HDMI>DVI cable?

Which DVI cable or adapter? DVI-I or DVI-D .. single or dual-link?

I am not sure what the distance required will be, so give suggestions for shorter and longer (ie a 12 foot cable and/or a 25 foot or longer cable). I can use as many suggestions as possible.

Aside - Are HDMI connectors identical on both source players and displays such that if I bought an adapter for my dvi cable I could the same cable and adapter to connect both from S77 (hdmi) to TX100 (dvi) or from iScan (dvi) to TX200 (hdmi)?

Here are some ideas:

For the person buying my TX100:

HDMI connector on Panasonic S77 dvd player to DVI input of TX100 projector:

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_...Name=HDMIFDVIM

or since he has no cable, an HDMI to DVI cable:

http://www.pacificcable.com/Picture_...me=HDMIDVI%2D8

Chose the longest length for instance.

Any suggestions?

thanx

:)

P.S. TX100 processing? 8 bit or 10 bit? Does anyone know?
post #2256 of 2271 Old 12-31-2005, 09:36 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

What are the convergence adjustments for the TX100? Need to check to see if I need to adjust the convergence on a TX200 and I imagine they may be the same adjustments.
post #2257 of 2271 Old 01-01-2006, 03:59 AM
3no

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc
What are the convergence adjustments for the TX100? Need to check to see if I need to adjust the convergence on a TX200 and I imagine they may be the same adjustments.
The TX100 has this adjustment on the factory service menu. To get into the factory service menu, press the reset button on the remote for a few seconds, release and press it again.
post #2258 of 2271 Old 01-01-2006, 07:39 AM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

I know there are adjustments in the factory menu, and I can get into the factory service menu no problem, but I am asking:

What is the convergence adjustment called? What settings do I adjust? All the options in there are mostly cryptic. Did I miss an obvious abreviation of "convergence"?
post #2259 of 2271 Old 01-02-2006, 11:34 AM
3no

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc
I know there are adjustments in the factory menu, and I can get into the factory service menu no problem, but I am asking:

What is the convergence adjustment called? What settings do I adjust? All the options in there are mostly cryptic. Did I miss an obvious abreviation of "convergence"?
CNV-V under the OPTION submenu
post #2260 of 2271 Old 01-02-2006, 12:00 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Yes, thank-you. Somebody pointed me to that and although I tried, I could not find CNV.H and/or CNV.V in the TX200. I tried and for the life of me, there is nothing there in the OPTION submenu other than the Iris-A and Iris-M. Thanx anyways. I am inquiring with TX200 owners and so far, I have not heard anything.
post #2261 of 2271 Old 01-02-2006, 07:56 PM
Advanced Member

To kenrosencpa;

I am wondering have you adjusted your contrast and brightness settings on the projector due to the 1600 hours you have on the lamp?

Did you document the settings when new and how much have you changed these settings to keep the same light output? ie, contrast 0, brightness 0 when new and contrast 10 brightness 10, for example now for the same light output.

Also the menu has four saved settings they allow the adjustments to be saved for all settings except color. If an adjustment is made and saved in load #1 it will erase the settings in load #2 or 3 or 4. All other settings will remain is this the same with your projector?
post #2262 of 2271 Old 01-05-2006, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have mine mounted near the ceiling & use a fair amount of lens shift. Watching program material is fine, but when viewing the DirecTV program grid, I can focus either the top or bottom of the screen, but I can't focus the whole screen at the same time. It's unnocitable during normal viewing, but it bugs me none the less.
Are there any adjustments, like colour uniformity, in the service menu that can help? I don't want to bother messing around if there's nothing that can be done anyways.
post #2263 of 2271 Old 01-05-2006, 08:29 AM

I have mine mounted near the ceiling & use a fair amount of lens shift. Watching program material is fine, but when viewing the DirecTV program grid, I can focus either the top or bottom of the screen, but I can't focus the whole screen at the same time. It's un-nocitable during normal viewing, but it bugs me none the less.
Are there any adjustments, like colour uniformity, in the service menu that can help? I don't want to bother messing around if there's nothing that can be done anyways.
post #2264 of 2271 Old 01-20-2006, 08:42 AM

Out-of-the-box, mine's set to 98. Is this equal to zero overscan?
post #2265 of 2271 Old 03-12-2006, 06:42 PM

Wanted to know if everyone's still happy with the TX100 or if you guys (or girls) have upgrade fever. My Tx100 has almost 1000 hours and I'm tempted to Ebay it to get the AE900. The AE900 currently has a $400 rebate and is offered by a major warehouse club that has a great return policy.

Has anyone compared their TX100 with any of the new projectors (Z4, AE900, etc.). My biggest reason for upgrade would be the dynamic Iris that improves the contrast ratio (my biggest complaint). I've tried the photocell calibration but it hasn't worked out for me. I think that my cell has too much green sensitivity.
post #2266 of 2271 Old 03-12-2006, 08:54 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

Upgraded to the TX200 (HDP-J52). Although the price of the Panny 900 is nice, don't forget that the TX200 has the same sharp optics and extensive adjustments for colour uniformity that the TX100 has. I like my TX200. The auto iris makes a significant difference. I could have lived with the TX100, and when the newer models come out, they will look even better than the TX200 does, but the auto iris of the TX200 makes the black levels look black instead of grey. Its a noticable difference and I think it was worth upgrading for that alone.
post #2267 of 2271 Old 03-13-2006, 10:02 AM

I have the opportunity to purchase a tx200 which less than five hours on the bulb, along with a 106" da lite screen for about 1500. Is this something to jump on? I see little mention of the tx200, mainly the 100 and having a hard time getting information on buying it in the US.

Are there any red flags here? I'm not sure why the seller would not just return, unless of course, he had shipped from overseas. Your information is appreciated.

Dino in NYC
post #2268 of 2271 Old 03-31-2006, 10:24 PM

Ive skimmed though but couldnt find an answer

1) Is component on these units bad, or is it just me.....i was using the component adapter on a few units and the dvi/vga signal is always so much more superior, and has no noise at all

2) anyone got their 360's hooked up to the tx100, i have using vga, and its great, though theres so much jaggies on the 360 console, is it just the machine....y didnt they implement AA!!!

3) in the top corners of my screen, the color is beggining to fade, and in windows i can clearly se this(kinda a light purple sort of hue blending into the screen), is this a dust blob, if so how do i remove?

thanks in reply ppl:0
post #2269 of 2271 Old 04-01-2006, 05:12 AM

Has this thread been edited?
post #2270 of 2271 Old 04-01-2006, 05:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Hancock
Has this thread been edited?
This thread is on the older TX100, not the newer TX200 (HDPJ52) that you have. There is another thread on the TX200. :)
post #2271 of 2271 Old 04-01-2006, 05:45 AM

Whoops. Thanks!
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page