Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #63 of 3787 Old 08-04-2004, 02:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tom,

Do you know if this machine is compatible with all of the anamorphic lenses?

I apologize beforehand.
post #64 of 3787 Old 08-04-2004, 02:53 PM

Thanks,Guitarman!!!
Analogman
post #65 of 3787 Old 08-04-2004, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jfinneru
guitarman, could you find out when optoma has this beauty ready for europe?

I have a demo model on order and have been told about 2 weeks here in the UK

Jeff

Jeff Paynter
post #66 of 3787 Old 08-04-2004, 04:56 PM

Are you joking RTFM? I have a feeling you are serious.....

I apologize beforehand.
post #67 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 12:02 AM

RFTM is correct, our demo model will also arrive soon, in about 20 days. (we're in Belgium)

The first batch for Europe is however sold out right now, we were lucky to get about the last one available. A new batch will arrive mid-september i have been told by Optoma.

Greetings,

Nicolas

Enjoy HD-DVD - don't get Rayed !
post #68 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by pinkerton
Are you joking RTFM? I have a feeling you are serious.....

If I was joking I would have said: There was this Englishman, Irishman and Scotsman...............

Jeff

Jeff Paynter
post #69 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
How loud is the fan on the H77?
post #70 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 06:55 AM

23db in eco mode. V quiet.
post #71 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 07:42 AM

Tom,

How do you rate the optics ?

If you put up a white field are all the mirrors in focus at the top, bottom, sides and corners like they are on the Sim2 models ?

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff Paynter
post #72 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Uniformity is very good, I went up to the 100IRE field and corner to corner it's juat as bright and pixels are clear.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #73 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 09:17 AM

Thanks Tom

Jeff

Jeff Paynter
post #74 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 09:22 AM

Any report of this being used with a HTPC yet? I have a H77 on order and plan on using it with my new PC I'm building..

Also any word on the RS232 commands? I know they are not in the manual that's online. Are you able to update the firmware through that too?

Thanks.
post #75 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally posted by Cactus Matt
Any report of this being used with a HTPC yet? I have a H77 on order and plan on using it with my new PC I'm building..

Also any word on the RS232 commands? I know they are not in the manual that's online. Are you able to update the firmware through that too?

Thanks.

I thought I reported that I was using HTPC??

I do HTPC over both RGBHV and also over DVI on another machine. All my OTA HDTV is recorded and played back via HDTV tuner cards in those machines.

DVI from the HTPC is absolutely spectacular. DVD, HDTV, SDTV, and regular media files all look stunningly good.

I have calibrated using Colorfacts and got this thing tuned pretty darn good. Greyscale tracks ridiculously close to 6500K. It's right up there with how darn good the Infocus units are. Colors are out of control with this machine.

The word "real" has been used so darn much in the past few days, it is getting old.... and I am not the only one saying it. Everyone who has demoed it is saying the same thing......It is now considered the best of any of the units I have had on display over the years.... and I've had 8 and 9 inch gun CRTs here........ while I don't completely agree with that assessment as CRT is still king for picture quality.... the size of the unit, the ridiculously low noise level of the unit, the ability to be very bright on a large screen, and the picture quality itself make it a unit that I can be incredibly satisfied with in lieu of said CRT units....... and I never thought I would ever say that.....

Shane
post #76 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 11:17 AM

Hi hometheaterdoc

"It's right up there with how darn good the Infocus units are. Colors are out of control with this machine."

Can you elaborate on these lines ? English is not my 1st language (sorry !) and i don't understand what you mean. Do you speak of the Optoma or Infocus ?
And what do you mean about the colors ? You mean it's great ?

Sorry for my poor english and thanks to you
post #77 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Shane, tell us how you really feel?

The Optoma has excellent greens a reds, everything looks very natural. The Shire scene will tell you how the greens are.

The RS232 is for firmware among other commands for users with special remotes.

I have access to colorfacts I'm only at 40hrs right now, after I go over the 100 mark i'll fine tune. But I have to admit right now and you can see it with the screen shots the tuning right now is smokin.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #78 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jkirk
Tom,
What is the maximum vertical offset (lens center to top of screen)?

Thanks,

John

Ok the offset movement is about 7" above or below a horizontal plane which is why for a ceiling mount a slight extension mount s/b used. It's a easy setup for someone who wants to shelf mount or table mount and make use of a High Power screen.

Pretty happy right now with what I see on a Mat White but you got a multiple type of screens that can be used with this machine. Firehawk, HCCV might be good choices. No need for dark gray screens with the H77, blacks are no problem.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #79 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 11:52 AM

So, if I want to mount it on a shelf above and behind the seating and avoid maximum lens shift how close to the top of the screen can the unit be and still be "right side up"? I'm still figuring out this lens shift, offset combination thing...

Thanks,

Jay
post #80 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The image is shooting straight out to the bottom or top of a screen in either ceiling or shelf mount. You'll have about a 7" movement with the lens shifter. A Little more if your projector is further back. The zoom distance can put the projector at 11' to near 18' to a 100" screen.

Right now I'm at 14' away from a 106" diagonal screen and the zoom is in the center area. At this spot the lens shift is 7".

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #81 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by guitarman
Right now I'm at 14' away from a 106" diagonal screen and the zoom is in the center area. At this spot the lens shift is 7".

Simply put, are you saying that the projector is 7" ABOVE the top of the screen?
post #82 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 03:02 PM

look at the pic:
LL

brgds joern

Editor, Norwegian Home Cinema Magazine
Eisa-magazine
post #83 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That's right. I could use a small extension so I could lower my screen a little. With the flush mount the lens is just 7" down from the ceiling.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #84 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by jfinneru
look at the pic:

Good point, you can see that the image center is slightly higher than straight out, but that's hard to discern in the live setup. Maybe you get a inch or so extra throw. The image is not darting down like the many other throws we're use to seeing.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #85 of 3787 Old 08-05-2004, 08:46 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 27
Quote:

Originally posted by tomti21
Hi hometheaterdoc

"It's right up there with how darn good the Infocus units are. Colors are out of control with this machine."

Can you elaborate on these lines ? English is not my 1st language (sorry !) and i don't understand what you mean. Do you speak of the Optoma or Infocus ?
And what do you mean about the colors ? You mean it's great ?

Sorry for my poor english and thanks to you

The infocus units are known for being pretty close to tracking a perfect 6500K greyscale right out of the box. The Infocus 5700 is especially good of the units that I have had here on display and installed for customers. I've not had the same luck with projectors from other manufacturers. Even with a lot of tweaking on some units, I've flat out been unable to get consistent color temperature numbers throughout the various IRE levels.....

The Optoma I got was not anywhere near calibrated out of the box. It sounds like Tom's unit was a lot closer than mine. Taking a baseline with Colorfacts confirmed my suspicions.

All I was saying with my comment was that after calibration, the Optoma tracks an almost perfectly flat greyscale. In addition, the colors are spectacular with this unit. The Infocus reds look almost orange by comparison to the Optoma (I'm exaggerating of course). Greens are also much deeper with the Optoma.

This is in no way shape or form a knock against Infocus. I absolutely love their machines. Without question I prefer the Infocus 4805 over the H30 from Optoma by a good margin. I have spent many enjoyable hours with the light cannon otherwise known as the Infocus Screenplay 5700. I also really really like the 7205. However, it doesn't really begin to shine until the screen size gets big... that's where all those lumens really give it an advantage over the competition. On a big Firehawk screen, I could happily live with the 7205. On a smaller screen, I do prefer the Optoma because you just can't beat the blacks and contrast. It's just a different application, and different design choices were made for each model. I just installed a IF 5700 in an ambient light environment that would absolutely make everyone cringe. It made me cringe, but no amount of persuading for decor changes were going to be heard by the customer's significant other.... so we were forced to work within those constraints and put in a light cannon to overcome some of the ambient ligh issues.... Voila! IF 5700 to the rescue. Other projectors would have absolutely chocked in this situation and been totally useless. THe 5700 works surprisingly well in the worst of times, and pretty darn good in the best of times at night.... again, its all about the application that the unit will be used in....

According to my testing, I'm seeing 1% overscan via DVI when fed the projectors native panel resolution. I don't know what others are getting. That seems more than acceptable to me.

Also, another point in favor of the Infocus.... the faroudja processing makes component, composite, and Svideo sources look better than those same sources being fed into the Optoma. It's not a massive difference between the two units... but DVI is noticably better on the Optoma whereas the difference between those inputs and DVI on the Infocus isn't as pronounced....

The Bravo D2 looks waaaaaaaay better than it has any right to on the Optoma. HTPC is still a better overall picture.... but it's close....I can't believe I am demoing and selling a $250 DVD player with a $9K projector... something just doesn't seem right here....

Shane
post #86 of 3787 Old 08-06-2004, 12:34 AM

Hi homtheaterdoc

"On a big Firehawk screen, I could happily live with the 7205. On a smaller screen, I do prefer the Optoma because you just can't beat the blacks and contrast"

I'm planning as i may have said, a 136" screen (diagonal). IF7205 and Optoma H77 are my 1st choices (when available where i am)
Can i expect a black level near the optoma with the IF if i use a big screen ?(even a white mat one ?)

I've also read that the H77 was a bit dim. I've dark walls and light control so maybe it's not an issue. However i read that DVI on the Optoma was even dimmer and i'm planning HTPC...Moreover, when the lamp is going to get older, it's going to dim again !

I hope i'll be able to SEE these Pjs myself, because for now i still don't know which one to take !!! I've changed my mind several times...
post #87 of 3787 Old 08-06-2004, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Tom,
Users wanting to go with a 140" screen better go with a Sony SXRD or Infocus. You need a light canon when you go with that large of a screen. It's not the best way to go for blacks although the Sony looks very good.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #88 of 3787 Old 08-06-2004, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Tomti21, guitarman's recommendation is often made in this forum and rightly so. However, I too am interested in a pj such as the H77, but only because it has the right price, throw distance and lens shift that'd allow me to maximize my High Power's ~3 gain deep within the viewing cone. I'd have the pj shelf-mounted immediately above and behind my viewing position and the reported quietness of this pj makes it even more attractive for this setup. My screen is 133" diagonal and I'm currently using a BenQ 8700 with the image at roughly 120" diagonal. With the H77 I'd likely also zoom the image down a bit, and increasingly so to maintain adequate brightness as the bulb dims some 50% with age. I have total light control and value black level over high brightness.

If you truly demand high brightness, want to use that entire 133" diagonal on a less than high gain screen, and especially if you happen to not have total light control, it sounds like you should not go with the H77.

Dan
post #89 of 3787 Old 08-06-2004, 01:39 PM

Hi folks -
I'm new here, but have been reading this post on the H77, which seems like the PJ I want. Thanks to Tom/Guitarman for posting so much useful info.

The only bad news I have heard about this PJ comes indirectly, and I've not seen it mentioned here: there is a PJ called a Maxx Products Mustang II Pluss, which can be found here:
[oops url censored cause I'm new, please google for it...]

it looks like it is an OEM'd H77, judging by the pics and specs.

Well, this PJ got dissed pretty bad in the latest issue of "The Perfect Vision" (July/Aug 2004) by Shane Buettner, who usually seems to know what's going on. The web site is here, but they want $10 to download the issue. Or you can check it out on the newstand.
[again, please search for website for The Perfect Vision]
It's the article on 3 mid-priced DLPs.

He found 3 problems that made him call the PJ unnacceptable; color flash, color-banding, & motion artifacts. The color-banding sounded the worst to me: his example was blue sky or water in Finding Nemo "breaking into pixellated bands."

Anyway, just wanted to ask you experts about color-banding, motion-artifacts and the de-interlacer/scaler performance in general? What do you think?

Is it possible that that an OEM'ed PJ would have different performance in these areas? (The Maxx is claimed to have huge light output, which is not the H77 I've read about....)

Thanks for any insight you can provide....

paul
post #90 of 3787 Old 08-06-2004, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I heard the H77 has a newer better version of the pixelworks chip. I haven't seen any problems so far because I'm using progressive scan and HDTV mainly. Bravo D1 set at 720p and Comast through components for HDTV. I'll run a check with a player set to interlaced. But I would want to us a player in interlaced. Time to re hook up the Pany XP30.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page