Optoma H77 Review & Screenshots - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 3787 Old 08-06-2004, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks Tom for mentioning Pixelworks. I'll look into that.

In TPV review, Shane said he used Bravo D1, and later mentioned that the defects he saw were from both DVI-D and component sources.

I'm really comparing apples & oranges here. I'm sure from the pictures that the Maxx is an OEM Optoma, but since this review is on the newstand now, he must have looked at it at least 2-3 months ago. So the H77 likely has different firmware and maybe even hardware changes.

I guess what I really need is to see one for myself. I also want to hear (not hear) the fan noise improvement. Does anyone know of a dealer in the SF Bay Area that has a demo?

thanks,

paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 3787 Old 08-06-2004, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 333
I'll report my impressions after seeing Tom's H77 this Sunday too.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #93 of 3787 Old 08-06-2004, 08:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Optoma h76 was sold as a Maxx Products Mustang and I wouldn't doubt that the H77 is to, although the later version. Tom, is the casing on your H77 labled as Maxx projector?
Rick
post #94 of 3787 Old 08-06-2004, 08:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by hometheaterdoc
Also, another point in favor of the Infocus.... the faroudja processing makes component, composite, and Svideo sources look better than those same sources being fed into the Optoma. It's not a massive difference between the two units... but DVI is noticably better on the Optoma whereas the difference between those inputs and DVI on the Infocus isn't as pronounced....

I used to own the Optoma H76 and it also had the pixelworks scaler. DVI was wonderfull on that projector, but Component, even true HD via Component always seemed soft. My HPTC via DVI looked better than really good HD on the component input. I ultimately had to get rid of the Optoma due this this issue as 3 of my 4 inputs to the projector are via Component. Hopefully, Optoma fixed this issue with the H77.

Rick
post #95 of 3787 Old 08-07-2004, 02:41 AM

Here in the UK we have another OEM of the H77. It's the Mitsubishi HC2000.
Interestingly the H77 is cheaper at RRP of £3.5k.

Jeff

Jeff Paynter
post #96 of 3787 Old 08-07-2004, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 187
I am looking forward to Craig's opinion since he has another of Tom's recommended pjs - the HT1000.

If the manufacturers had a rental programme - say $500.00/month we could simply rent the newest and greatest and when we're tired of it (say in 2 or 3 weeks) we could move on. Sure would save us some money! I had a Marantz for 24 months and it lost 5/6s of its value! I am not going there again (bitter - who me?)

Great screen shots Tom! Have you seen the extended version of Underworld yet? PQ is simply outstanding, better IMO than the original version.

Can't wait for your next pj review in about 6 to 8 months - highly entertaining Tom - thanks! (last two paragraphs added)

Cheers,

Grant
post #97 of 3787 Old 08-07-2004, 01:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
My H77 just says Optoma on it.

Grant,
Knowing the HT1000 very well, it still does video right up there with the 720p machines. Plenty of resolution with the HT1000. The advantage I see in the 720p is no visible pixels in white text and background details are smoother with the extra pixels for the smaller images. Lets say everything is a little more detailed because of the increased number of pixels. Things like hair strands and facile bumps become clearer.

Here I took the same screen shot from Underworld on Optoma's SVGA projector. (Extended version on the way, thx) it's one of my favorite new movies.

Same brunette shot but on the Optoma H30.
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/h30under1.jpg

Now with the H77
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/h77under2.jpg

It looks good tone wise but a little softer with SVGA res. You can't see the hair strands as well.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #98 of 3787 Old 08-07-2004, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by glenned
The HD2+ machines that I have seen (Marantz, Sharp, and Infocus) all seem to have increased ANSI contrast compared to their predecesors, which creates a snappier (more contrasty) image in most movie scenes. This might be part of the improvement that you are seeing.

I haven't read the whole thread yet, so sorry if this info is posted later in the thread, but have you taken an on/off CR measurement with a light meter?

Glenn

Glenn,
I don't have a meter, we'll have to wait for someone with the equipment and I
can't wait.

I do have white walls and ceiling. I haven't even painted the white case on my Dalite screen and it shows.

Home Theater Mag s/b be getting a demo and I trust Geoffrey's review's. He always states he's using the best tools for accurate results. I think he uses the Sencore 650 and Minolta LS100 light meter.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #99 of 3787 Old 08-08-2004, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by guitarman
I heard the H77 has a newer better version of the pixelworks chip. I haven't seen any problems so far because I'm using progressive scan and HDTV mainly. Bravo D1 set at 720p and Comast through components for HDTV. I'll run a check with a player set to interlaced. But I would want to us a player in interlaced. Time to re hook up the Pany XP30.

When Craig was at my house today I ran the interlaced test from the XP30 to see how the projectors newer Pixelworks chips handled the 2.3 and scaling. It passed in flying covers. No vertical line anomaly that I can see with the Otpoma H30 using it's earlier pixelworks chip. At this point the newer chip will do everything a Farouja chip will do. It will pass the Galaxy Quest opening spaceship video which many other chipped players will hang up on. The scene pans smooth as glass.

My guess is the gentleman that viewed the Maxx saw the vertical fall off that the earlier chip has. Anyway this problem can always be avoided by sending a progressive signal.

The Bravo is a good player in DVI but it can't handle the Galaxy Quest Intro. It acts like the JVC players I have. It show the image movement as jerky.

So the H77's new pixelworks chips final report is excellent.

Craig got to see some interesting a/b's of the H77 and HT1000, also a look look at the budget priced SVGA H30. We viewed HDTV with Comcast and DVD with a Panasonic XP30 and DVD with the Bravo D1 with the H77.

What did he like about the H77, just about everything.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #100 of 3787 Old 08-08-2004, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Tom

I'm not around much at the moment. Glad your new PJ is all you say. Your HT100 was awesome :-)

Rob
post #101 of 3787 Old 08-08-2004, 09:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hi Rob,
Craig will probably be adding to the review in a bit. How is that SX21 doing?

Hey Craig thanks for the wine and the quick smoke Montecristo.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #102 of 3787 Old 08-08-2004, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Oh my! I'm watching Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets in HD. If you like the colors red/green/blue & the non-color black, you have to like this machine. Believe me there's a new King in town.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #103 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 07:37 AM
Advanced Member

guitarman

i have to agree it does have a nice image, and unlike most dlps it did not give me a headache in less than thirty minutes. I wonder what is different with this machine that would cause it not to make me ill.

i was amazed how good it looked with only 410 lum of output on a 144 firehawk screen.
post #104 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 08:12 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
In the future, those of you looking for films to test a projector's black level reproduction, watch for a DVD release of "Collateral". This film, most of which was shot at night using 1920x1080 24P video cameras, will put projectors through some severe tests. According to my contact in the business, there are very few large venue DLP projectors able to handle the film although all of the previews, premier, and Academy showings of "Collateral" have been or will be done digitally.
post #105 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 08:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Somebody give it the ultimate test (U-571) and please tell us what you see. How much detail and color in the detail do you see in those interior scenes?
post #106 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 09:18 AM

Finally! Tomorrow is the H77 ready to be tested. It's the first H77 to get to Norway and we will test it against Projection design action one mkII, Benq 8700+ and we also have on Infocus 7205 with filter (hoya, reduces the light output with 50%)and a nec ht1100. since we have tested all the other very much already, we will focus on how the H77 will perform next to the action one mkII, wich is my numero ono before the H77 enters the test room.

brgds joern

Editor, Norwegian Home Cinema Magazine
Eisa-magazine
post #107 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 09:32 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by George_Stenbeck
guitarman

i have to agree it does have a nice image, and unlike most dlps it did not give me a headache in less than thirty minutes. I wonder what is different with this machine that would cause it not to make me ill.

i was amazed how good it looked with only 410 lum of output on a 144 firehawk screen.

Probably no eyestrain because of the increased black level. Don't let the number 410lumens worry you. We don't know how well Evan over at PC runs tests or what equipment he uses. When Andrea ran his Mother of all shootouts all the projectors when tuned showed numbers like 383, 235, 414, 975 etc. The 975 high rating was the Infocus 7200. Other numbers were for the Marantz, HT1000, Seleco, Yamaha

The 400 level number was for the HT1000 I think. I'd go over to Andrea's site to double check but my contest winning subscription just ended. Yesterday comparing the HT1000 and the H77, brightness was about the same, plenty bright.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #108 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 09:35 AM

FWIW, I had a demo of the Mitsubishi HC2000 today (second time). I currently have a Marantz S3 and whilst I love the picture it produces the fan noise always bugs me. I must say this is not because it is loud in itself but rather due to my room means I have to have it fixed under a sloping ceiling which is then above the seating position and the slope of the ceiling amplifies and channels the noise to the listener. Hence me looking at the HC2000.

Fisrt impressions were the depth of colours and image and also the detail level. Both absolutely superb. It also is brighter than my S3 by enough to enable viewing with ambient lighting in my room (fully light controlled).

The general quality of the image is absoutely first rate via both component and DVI. Hi-Def (Bad Boys 2) looked amazing. The one area where it was let down was in shadow detail. Even using the Black Stretch option the detail resolved by the S3 is way above delivered by the HC2000.

The scaling and processing of the HC2000 also appeared top notch with no discernible difference between it and the S3. Although if pressed I would say panning shots on the S3 are slightly smoother.

The biggest difference was fan noise. In Low mode the HC2000 is eerily quiet and even when switched to Normal it was barely discernible, and I was sitting with my head no more than 2 feet from the exhaust port (boy was it warm )

I'm now waiting for an H77 to see how it compres to both the HC2000 and S3.

PS Sorry to hijack the thread but I felt there would likely be enough people reading here to get some interset from this.
post #109 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 10:18 AM

Tom,

What are you quick impressions of the 77 compared to the HT1000? I'm looking to upgrade but if it's not worth the $$ I can wait. Currently have the NEC.

Question # 2. Are you running the XP30 in interlaced or progressive mode? I have it and a Bravo D but the XP30 is in the bedroom and was wondering if I'd be better off using it in the theater. How does it compare to the Bravo? As always Tom, thanks for you input. You've steered me in a good direction in the past.

Scott
post #110 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Sorry for taking so long to report - when I got home and re - installed my HT1000 on the ceiling, and finally figured out the settings to get a component picture switched thru my new Denon 3805 to work, a Peter Gabriel concert was on HDTV on INHD2 and my wife went wild watching it on the HT1000!! It looked awesome ( and made me wonder what an H77 would have looked like on my set up - uh oh, credit card time approaching? )!!

Scotty - I loved the H77!! Colors were ( believe it or not ) far richer than the HT1000. Reds rock on this Optoma! And boy is it quiet - I could never hear it at all!! In my opinion it's plenty bright for a CINEMA projector - just like the HT1000, it's meant to be watched in the dark. We increased the picture size to 104" x 58" - plenty bright enough on low power mode ( certainly plenty bright on a 92" wide 106" diagonal screen ). When the bulb ages you could kick it to high power setting if you wanted - still really quiet. I love the power zoom feature too!!

We compared the H77 and my HT1000 by running them at the same time thru a component splitter box and putting a card board box in front of one or the others lens - instant A / B picture comparison. I recommend this method - it works great!!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #111 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Took a look at U-571 and details in the darker scenes are very open with very good color saturation. That's viewing the night raid on the submarine. The H77 has Five gamma settings. It comes factory set at gamma 2. Going to gamma 3 for a dark movie will open up detail even more without effecting the contrast.

Vs the HT1000 resolution aside the H77's colors are noticably richer and pleasing. Same thing for the tone of black, noticably blacker.

We tested the XP30 in progressive and interlaced and the Bravo set to 720p. The Pansonic is a great player but the cleaner image on the Bravo is still better even if the deinterlacing isn't farouja.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #112 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 11:15 AM

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting a 2.05:1 screen to be able to zoom the wide aspect movies. I'm planning on 102 to 104" wide, seating at 11-12'. When you zoomed out the projector to 104, could you see the pixels?

Thanks,

Jay
post #113 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 12:39 PM
Pip

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tom:

Does the H77 offer aspect ratio control for HD signals (720P and 1080i), or does it lock into 16:9?

Thanks

Pip
post #114 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

We tested a 106" wide image because Craig would want to use a Firehawk this size. The brightness and color saturation weren't affected. Pixels weren't noticeable a 1.5 away.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #115 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Pip
Tom:

Does the H77 offer aspect ratio control for HD signals (720P and 1080i), or does it lock into 16:9?

Thanks

Pip

The different available aspects take effect for HDTV. Like Window will stretch up a widescreen image. Not sure what you're looking for?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #116 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

" I'm thinking of getting a 2.05:1 screen to be able to zoom the wide aspect movies. I'm planning on 102 to 104" wide, seating at 11-12'. When you zoomed out the projector to 104, could you see the pixels? " -

It should be fine - I'm looking at a screen that size, and I had to get well under 10' to start seeing pixels.

post #117 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 01:44 PM
Pip

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Tom:

I'm looking for proper display of 1080i 4:3 and letterboxed (non-anamorphic) images. Sounds like the Optoma does it.

Thanks,
Pip
post #118 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Tom

Gotta be honest. I've been averaging about 1 theater movie a week for the last three months.

SX21 is working very well on the 120" Hi Power.

If I'm honest I crave the contrast / black of my friends DLP with the detail film like appearance and color of my SX21

I guess they call that 3 chip and $30k :-)

Glad to see the H77 is good for you though.

My hobby has also switched to photography a little - kids if you know what I mean. I've been spending far too much on Canon DSLR's and very expensive
lenses :-(

Stay well
Rob
post #119 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 07:48 PM
Advanced Member

Thats funny robert, the two of us have preached sx21, panamorph, phelped for some time and now you spend two hours a week watching your projector because of your camera hobby, and i spend 2 hours a week in my theater and 10 hours a week in the gym. Part of my problem is that i am on the road so much, but even when i am home, summer is not theater time of year for me.
post #120 of 3787 Old 08-09-2004, 08:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Finally! Tomorrow is the H77 ready to be tested. It's the first H77 to get to Norway and we will test it against Projection design action one mkII, Benq 8700+ and we also have on Infocus 7205 with filter (hoya, reduces the light output with 50%)and a nec ht1100. since we have tested all the other very much already, we will focus on how the H77 will perform next to the action one mkII, wich is my numero ono before the H77 enters the test room.

Posted by jfinneru

This will be a really worthwhile test, of currently available competitors.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page