Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 3787 Old 08-13-2004, 05:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by Gary Lightfoot
Got one of the HT1000 and the H77 together?

Gary.

it's actually a ht1100, but since it's been delivered back I can't take a photo of them together.
The ht1100 is also a very nice projektor, and I am looking forward to the forthcoming widescreen nec projektor. That will be a killer. It will be out later this year.

brgds joern

Editor, Norwegian Home Cinema Magazine
Eisa-magazine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 3787 Old 08-13-2004, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
I wonder what the Action with a 8 segment wheel will be like?

An NEC 16:9..........now that should be interesting.....any more information?

Thanks!

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #183 of 3787 Old 08-13-2004, 08:30 PM
AJW

jfinneru - I think the problem you were seeing with Interlaced video is a software issue.
It sort of looks like a "smearing" problem with the video.
I was looking at a pre-production unit also and after we did a software update the problem went away.
The new shipping units wont have this problem.

Tony
post #184 of 3787 Old 08-13-2004, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:

Originally posted by AJW
jfinneru - I think the problem you were seeing with Interlaced video is a software issue.
It sort of looks like a "smearing" problem with the video.
I was looking at a pre-production unit also and after we did a software update the problem went away.
The new shipping units wont have this problem.

Tony

Right, I ran most of the Patriot Movie in interlaced and it looked the same as progressive with a Pansonic XP30 Farouja chip. Horses, pans everthing.

Patriot does have poor color rendition. DVD's fault not the projector.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #185 of 3787 Old 08-14-2004, 01:01 AM

hi,

I am about to place an order for the H77. My screen size is around 92" diagonal and it will be in my living room. I think the H77 should be bright enough for a 92" screen even with ambient light right?

Anyway, I have read plenty of good points about this projetor but what are the bad points? compared to lets say If7205 or benq 8700+.
post #186 of 3787 Old 08-14-2004, 01:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Tom, as an upgrade from the HT1000, how much of an improvement would you say it is? Do you have any contrast measurements and Colorfacts data to show us such as a CIE chart or greyscale graph?

Thanks.

Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #187 of 3787 Old 08-14-2004, 08:57 AM
Pip

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

I am looking forward to the forthcoming widescreen nec projektor. That will be a killer. It will be out later this year.

What NEC widescreen projector? Has this been announced, or do you have an inside source?

Thanks,
Pip
post #188 of 3787 Old 08-14-2004, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Pip
What NEC widescreen projector? Has this been announced, or do you have an inside source?

Thanks,
Pip

Sorry for the OT, have no more info on the nec's. It was just some info from my friend who got it from the importer here in norway.

brgds joern

Eisa-magazine
post #189 of 3787 Old 08-14-2004, 10:02 AM

Hi Folks

This is my first post here after many months of voyeurism, soaking up useful information on the threads and slowly stoking a burning desire to instal a DLP projector in my attic. Armed with the knowledge gleaned from spending many hours hunched sweaty palmed over this forum (to the extent that my wife was almost pressing me to buy one just to get me off the computer at night), I drove across the country (England) to see a demo of both the H30 and the H77 (there are apparently only 4 currently in the UK with proper shipments due from September). The H30 was the first projector I'd ever actually seen and I was relieved to find that I didn't seem to suffer from the rainbow effect mentioned so often here. Both projectors were being fed the same component signal from a Panasonic DVD player. The H30 is at a lower resolution than UK PAL DVD, so I expected a poor image at 7' in diameter, but no! Witnessed a lovely picture, beautiful colours, contrast totally acceptable and no motion artefacts. We flipped our way through scenes from Two Towers, Bande A Part (no probs with black and white here), Amelie and X-Men 2 and I was delighted at the images (I had been budgeting for an H56A or Infocus 5700 to match PAL). The only criticism was that some straight lines could be slightly jaggy, this being mainly noticeable with on-screen text. But overll I thought it was a great image.

I was by now rubbing my hands with glee at the prospect of seeing the H77 after all of Tom's glowing posts. On it came with the Nightcrawler attack scene on the Whitehouse which had looked great on the H30, and immediately it suffered from all the motion artefacts suffered by jfinneru. However, the blacks were indeed black and the colours were glossy and beautiful, it was just unwatchable with the smearing. The same was true on The Two Towers, and I left the shop wondering how Optoma could charge £2400 more for the thing.

After reading the posts, I'm glad it only appears to be a software glitch, but now I'm left wanting to see an upgraded version with the problem solved. I suppose this should be a warning to other Europeans to make sure Optoma have sorted this out before they make a purchase.

I'll be visiting the shop again after I have cleared out and darkened my attic and hope to demo some 1024x576 models, although I feel I might have to wait for the H57, though the H30 is very tempting at the price and an absolute steal.

Cheers for all the info here. Great forum.
post #190 of 3787 Old 08-14-2004, 10:18 AM

It was proberbly a premodel you laid your eyes on there. why didn't they give you a demo with progressive input or Dvi? No problem there, and then you could see the true potensial of this thing. When I deliver my premodel back on monday, I will adress all isues about the H77, and get a feedback.

brgds joern

Eisa-magazine
post #191 of 3787 Old 08-14-2004, 11:25 AM

I did ask to see it with DVI, but they didn't have a DVD player with that output to hand. They'd only just had it in the night before from a rep. It was the first time they'd laid eyes on one and I was in early that morning, so I don't think they'd actually twigged that the problem was specific to the input. Shame really, because the depth of field and colours were really filmic as Tom has said. The Two Towers scene during the battle of Helm's Deep was glossy, deep and evocative, so I could see what he's been raving about. The smearing was just bloody awful.

I need to demo it again with the bug fixed or through DVI, don't I!

I must say that the H30 impressed me so much, I will be looking very closely to see if the quality shift between resolutions is actually worth the price hikes. I would be more than happy with that little baby playing films to me for some time to come.
post #192 of 3787 Old 08-14-2004, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by alantkh
hi,

I am about to place an order for the H77. My screen size is around 92" diagonal and it will be in my living room. I think the H77 should be bright enough for a 92" screen even with ambient light right?

Anyway, I have read plenty of good points about this projetor but what are the bad points? compared to lets say If7205 or benq 8700+.

Bright enough you bet. It's more than bright enough now in econo on my 1.0gain 106". With blacks so deep there's plenty of room to check out 1.3 gain screens. On the higher gain screens while the bulb is young you could choose gamma 1 which is really deep if it's too bright. Then step up the gamma's half way through the bulb life.

Gary, a/b'ed with the HT1000 what we saw is much deeper blacks increased vividness of the colors & contrast is very high. HT1000 still looked good but the H77 was allot richer and HDTV was way better also. How much is that worth, you have to balance street numbers. But consider the original HT1000 street price.

Maybe I can get hold of colorfacts to get some ball park numbers.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #193 of 3787 Old 08-14-2004, 05:03 PM

squibbly,

which scene in the two towers do you recommend me to watch to spot the smearing problem? The battle of hornburg? (the start of the batte at helms deep) But I think the shop's demo here is in 480P so should have no problem. but then doesn't it all depend on the deinterlacer on the DVD player right? If that guy is using a lousy DVD player, I may see the same problem.
post #194 of 3787 Old 08-14-2004, 05:22 PM

I wouldn't pay to much attention to the "smearing problem" since this is an isue only on the pal pre-model. We need to wait for the final edition to evaluate it. tom says this is not an isue on the final version in the states, and I find it hard to belive this will be an isue with the final edition of the pal version. I will get my final edition later in august. Not before then will I judge it's abilities regarding deinterlaceing/scaling etc. Be patient gentlemen

brgds joern

Eisa-magazine
post #195 of 3787 Old 08-14-2004, 05:26 PM

I am not in the states but in SE Asia. We use PAL in our country. I think I will be buying one soon so I need to see whether it is a problem to me.

Anyway is there a difference in Model between the projectors?? I thought optoma should only have one version that can handle BOTH PAL and NTSC signals right? When you mean PAL, I guess you are saying that H77 has a problem handling the 576 lines PAL DVD input izzit? If my DVD is set to 480 lines, there should be no problem correct?

sorry for so many questions. quite new to all these
post #196 of 3787 Old 08-15-2004, 03:18 AM

Alantkh

The problem is obvious, no matter what film you watch. The player was outputting PAL format DVD through component out.

I'm surprised Optoma have allowed this fault to go out on early demo models here in the UK, though as you can see from posts above, no-one imagines that this fault will persist.
post #197 of 3787 Old 08-15-2004, 06:27 AM

that bad huh? I definately did not see anything on the 480P demo I had a few days back so I guess it is okay. will double check again.

Does anyone know how to check the firmware version for H77? And what is the latest version?
post #198 of 3787 Old 08-15-2004, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
How do you connect a computer/laptop to the H77? My laptop has a normal/VGA monitor output. Thanks. SJ
post #199 of 3787 Old 08-15-2004, 05:43 PM

Hi SJHT,

Really easy, you can do this trough the 5 BNC connectors (RGBHV), you probably just need a VGA (DB15) to 5 BNC adaptor. This should be easy to find.

Greetings,

Nicolas

Enjoy HD-DVD - don't get Rayed !
post #200 of 3787 Old 08-15-2004, 05:51 PM

about the PAL "smearing" thing you are all mentioning, like jfinneru i would also rest assured that this is fixed already in the newer units.

Things like that are normal on the first models, i think because they are built first for NTSC, and then need to be updated / adapted for PAL scaling.
I suspect that the pressure from clients / dealers got really high for Optoma europe (thanks to the "hype" that was started early) so that there wasn't much time to check all these things first before sending the first units out...

In less then 10 days i can hopefully share you my experiences, since then our (european) unit will arrive. If it isn't fixed, i'll get optoma on the phone myself I'll keep you up-to-date.

Greetings,

Nicolas

Enjoy HD-DVD - don't get Rayed !
post #201 of 3787 Old 08-15-2004, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

There were similar issues with the early NEC HT1000 - it would suffer from tearing with PAL images if the source was anamorphic IIRC. It was soon ironed out with a firmware upgrade though.

Looking forward to a demo in September.

Gary.

Quote:

post #202 of 3787 Old 08-15-2004, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by alantkh
that bad huh? I definately did not see anything on the 480P demo I had a few days back so I guess it is okay. will double check again.

Does anyone know how to check the firmware version for H77? And what is the latest version?

Guess many end users and ISF'ers could use this info so here goes.

On the projector hit Re-sync, source and enter at the same time.

Now you're in the service menu. Firmware will be visable, mine says
V.C08 June 30th NTSC

Navigate with the arrow buttons. Open a service area with the enter button. You want out of a sub service area hit the menu button. You want totally out of the service menu's toggle down to the Exit Icon.

All these commands are done on the machine.

The picture menu will show you more RGB's, these effect all signals.

DLP-brightness and DLP-contrast, these effect all signals.

ADP brings up some more RGB's, these effect all signals.

Each set of RGB's are keying off different area's of the electronics.

In ADP if you see an auto cal feature for Magenta don't use it. Auto-black and Auto-contrast are ok and are supposed to calibrate for your particular electronics-dvd player. But if you're happy with the setup now, avoid as these auto features will automatically alter many of the different service numbers.

Well at least you can find out what firmware you have.
enjoy

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #203 of 3787 Old 08-15-2004, 11:30 PM

Great info thanks.

hey there is a difference between the firmware for PAL and NTSC? why is there a difference? The projector should be able to accept both NTSC and PAL signals regardless of firmware version. I may need to watch both signals on my projector.
post #204 of 3787 Old 08-16-2004, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Lets see what European firmwares say. NTSC/Pal

The other Optoma modes covered both signals.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #205 of 3787 Old 08-16-2004, 08:07 AM

from some websites they say the H77 is using a pixelworks 465 scaler. which is the same as the H76

dunno if that is good or not
post #206 of 3787 Old 08-16-2004, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 227
" Got one of the HT1000 and the H77 together? " -

I'd have to say that as good as my HT1000 is, the H77 is a step above it in color saturation, resolution and is vitually silent. I want one!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #207 of 3787 Old 08-16-2004, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Took a look at the Sharp Z12000 yesterday and my Optoma setup at home looks 10 times better. Of course setup is the key.

Just picked up an older favorite movie of mine "Hombre" a western with Paul Newman. I have to say some of the scenes were incredibly 3 Dimensional. So 3D is was scarey, my HD tube tv can't do this.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #208 of 3787 Old 08-16-2004, 08:28 AM

guitarman,

so any suggestions for the setup??? Which DVD player should I get? Do I need a ISCAN? the ISCAN cannot be found locally in my country so it is a hassle to get it.

I am thinking of getting a momitsu V880 and using the DVI output.

Thanks for all your comments and info
post #209 of 3787 Old 08-16-2004, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Craig Peer
I'd have to say that as good as my HT1000 is, the H77 is a step above it in color saturation, resolution and is vitually silent. I want one!

Thanks Craig.

Looking forward to my demo even more now...

Gary.

Quote:

post #210 of 3787 Old 08-16-2004, 10:45 AM

I know the feeling, mine is ordered and just waiting for it.

I will have the framing done on my HT by the weekend. I have 110 ft (24x15 home theater and 12x15 craft room for the misses)of wall to put up and 32ft are done .

My SVS (PB2 Plus)sub is being put into my garage as I type

Steve

If you buy it, USE IT!!!!
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page