The OFFICIAL BenQ 8700+ thread. - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #931 of 953 Old 11-22-2010, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
maddogpilot, my 8700 is doing the same thing, no power at all. Benq said I could send it in and they would look at it for $65, and if repairable it could be $250 or more. Did you send it in, and then they told you it was unrepairable? Or over the phone? With a bulb replacement looming, I don't know about getting this thing fixed. Did you replace the 8700 with another projector? If so, mind asking what you got and your satisfaction with it? Thanks for your time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 953 Old 12-03-2010, 06:07 PM

I just replaced my bulb for the first time on my Benq 8700 + and started up... Everything started up OK... Was in the middle of a movie when I noticed a burning smell... I turned everything off and let the projector cool down... when I opened up the projector and removed the bulb, I noticed that the window between the bulb and color wheel was cracked... The viewing picture was not affected by the crack but i suspect that the heat is getting through and may cause the wheel to explode.. I've had this projector almost 4 year, is it worth getting it fixed? Does the window need to be replaced? Has anyone had this problem before? If so, how much did it cost you to repair?
post #933 of 953 Old 09-08-2011, 05:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 15
sorry if this is old, but I could really use some help/advice:

Last September, I replaced the bulb on our 8700+ but I bought a bare bulb. It was never really bright and eventually the picture developed 'symptoms'. The picture would flicker, and strobe, etc.

The usual start up sounds also changed. The sound that the color wheel made to start up was 'lagged'. it would click a few times, then spin up. But once it spun up, everything was fine. The picture would take a lot longer to come on and display the Benq splash screen.

Today, after sitting around for about 3 months without use, I turned on the projector and it ran for about 60 minutes, I saw what others described: a green light and a flashing red lamp light. The fans were running but the picture was gone.

Is it possible that a bad bulb is causing all of these symptoms or is this a systemic problem and I shouldnt even bother tryign to get a new bulb ($440).

I have no desire to upgrade, I'm quite happy with our setup, but I dont want to sink money into a sinking ship. I am confused on what i should do...
post #934 of 953 Old 09-09-2011, 08:27 AM

It depends on if the color wheel or in my case the blower fan is making noise. If it's the color wheel I have a spare working one I could sell you but if it's the blower fan bearings(my case) then it is very difficult to change. I also have a used bulb that still works, but I changed it at the recommended interval. If you still have your old bulb why not put it back in and try it?!
post #935 of 953 Old 09-09-2011, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

1. is it easy to change out the color wheel?

2. i bought just the bulb and put it in the original casing. In the process, the casing kind of broke a little where the clips where held. I guess I could put in the original bulb to see what would happen, but I'd rather just get a new bulb and a case.

I also did something else... The projector was randomly making a lot of noise a few months back, it seemed like it came from the fan, so I stuck a q-tip in there while the fan was running. it stopped the noise, but soon after all these other symptoms started occurring. I'm wondering maybe I hit the color wheel or something in my haste/stupidity?

also, is your spare bulb in its case? ie can I just swap it in? i'd be more interested in that option to test this unit out to see if that even fixes it. how many hours do you think i could get out of it? i'd like to test the projector for like 5-8 hours or so
post #936 of 953 Old 09-09-2011, 09:50 AM

The color wheel isn't too bad to change if you know how to disassemble things and are careful. You may want to open it up anyway to see if some q-tip lint tangled up the other fans/color wheel inside.

Just remember where all the screws came from and take your time disconnecting the pull connections for the cover,....etc.

Once your old bulb was still working you should be able to test out the projector.
post #937 of 953 Old 09-15-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member

so... can i have your bulb? I sent you a PM about it.
post #938 of 953 Old 09-15-2011, 04:10 PM

Replied to your PM.
post #939 of 953 Old 10-02-2011, 01:19 PM

Component connections says "searching" and never connects. Are there any quick-fixes for this problem? DVI connection works fine. Does the same thing on the Component HD connection option.
Are there firmware updates to correct this or other solutions?
post #940 of 953 Old 10-02-2011, 02:27 PM

What signal are you feeding the inputs?
post #941 of 953 Old 10-02-2011, 03:09 PM

I should have said I'm trying to use the component HD setting on the benq.
From the DVD player I have it set to 720. On regular component I can get it to display on 480i but not 720 from the dvd player with it set to component hd.
post #942 of 953 Old 10-02-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmcafee View Post

I should have said I'm trying to use the component HD setting on the benq.
From the DVD player I have it set to 720. On regular component I can get it to display on 480i but not 720 from the dvd player with it set to component hd.

That's because the "regular" component input only accepts 480i, you have to buy some RCA adapters from RS to use the the progressive inputs.
post #943 of 953 Old 10-02-2011, 05:42 PM

OK, who is RS, can you send me a link?
I connect these adapters to my existing component cable and then plug them into the component inputs (red, blue, green) on the projector?
Sorry, a little lost on this one. I always thought component cables would handle 720
post #944 of 953 Old 10-03-2011, 12:11 PM

Sorry, RS=Radio Shack.
IIRC, the bayonet connections are for progressive connections so you will need adapters from bayonet to RCA to feed a 720p signal.

Connector panel. The connector panel gives you three inputs in the "video group" and two in the "graphic group." The video group consists of one composite RCA, one S-video, and one set of three component RCAs for component interlaced input (no 480p available on this input). The graphic group gives you one DVI-I connector and a set of 5 BNCs for component interlaced, component progressive, HDTV, and computer input. The PIP and POP features let you select one signal from each group. (Thus you may not, for example, access the S-video input and the 3-RCA component port via PIP simultaneously.) The connector panel also incorporates an RS232c port and a 12-volt trigger.

Since you cannot feed 480p into the 3-RCA component port, you must use the BNC port for this signal. You can use a standard component video cable by attaching three RCA-to-BNC adapters to one end. These are cheap and available at Radio Shack or any local electronics store.
post #945 of 953 Old 02-26-2012, 04:37 PM

just need shipping and partial cost of new bulb. I replaced the bulb after unit began overheating and then bulb went out. Purchased new bulb, cleaned dust from inside, fans work, but unit will only run for a couple of hours and then I will get the dreaded overheating light. Bulb has less than 10 hours on it. Maybe you can fix or use for parts.......Thanks, Russell Craig
post #946 of 953 Old 02-28-2012, 07:36 AM

Hey Russell,....sent you a email/PM.
post #947 of 953 Old 01-05-2013, 07:13 PM

I have a brand new bulb for a Benq 8700 projector and am willing to sell the projector for spare parts if anybody is interested.. The power supply went out on mine. Email me at ahcustominteriors@cox.net
post #948 of 953 Old 07-29-2013, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I know this is an old projector, but it seems a lot of people are having problems with no power. I had my 8700 unplugged for awhile, and just recently replugged it. Did not get the standby light. I opened it up and pulled the power supply, visually checked the capacitors, which all appeared good. Then I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6DnRH6bWLg

He had the same problems with a Runco (insides are the same as the 8700). So I tested the caps on the low voltage DC power supply board, and sure enough there was a 200uF cap that was bad. I replaced it and bingo, my projector is working again. So, if your projector wont turn on and you don't get the standby light, this might be something worth trying. The capacitor was $3 shipped from digikey. It would probably cost about $20 to replace all the capacitors on the PSU board.
millerskm likes this.
post #949 of 953 Old 08-07-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Awesome! I need to check my capacitors as the power supply went bad and it's just been sitting in the box.

Pioneer broke my heart.
Denon broke my wallet.
Oppo broke my thinking.
post #950 of 953 Old 12-15-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiefan View Post

I know this is an old projector, but it seems a lot of people are having problems with no power. I had my 8700 unplugged for awhile, and just recently replugged it. Did not get the standby light. I opened it up and pulled the power supply, visually checked the capacitors, which all appeared good. Then I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6DnRH6bWLg

He had the same problems with a Runco (insides are the same as the 8700). So I tested the caps on the low voltage DC power supply board, and sure enough there was a 200uF cap that was bad. I replaced it and bingo, my projector is working again. So, if your projector wont turn on and you don't get the standby light, this might be something worth trying. The capacitor was $3 shipped from digikey. It would probably cost about $20 to replace all the capacitors on the PSU board.

Worked for me!! My BenQ is as good as new!!
Cost me $25 and 30min to replace all the caps in the power supply.
post #951 of 953 Old 12-15-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWL5 View Post

Awesome! I need to check my capacitors as the power supply went bad and it's just been sitting in the box.

Replacing the capacitors in the power supply worked for me.
post #952 of 953 Old 12-15-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiefan View Post

This fix Worked for me exactly as described in the video above.
post #953 of 953 Old 01-28-2014, 05:56 PM

I have a brand new DLP bulb model number NSH210BQA from Pureland supply for the benq 8700 if any body is interested in it please email me at ahcustominteriors@cox.net
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Infocus Screenplay Projector Sp4805
Gear in this thread - Sp4805 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page