post #91 of 953 Old 10-31-2004, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Originally posted by maxleung
Regarding smearing (hey, this is my first post in the thread! hmmm hehe), I'm thinking that the best way to try to reproduce the effect is to use a fast PC action game - such as UT2004 or some other first person shooter with lots of color and detail (NOT DOOM3 - it's too dark!). Looking around quickly and slowly, and see if you can spot any smearing. Works best if there are high detail and high contrast objects in view.

I haven't done this myself. Hmm, maybe you can use an XBOX and a copy of Halo or DOA3 or some other game with fast pans.

I do have both games. No smearing at all. On the other hand I'm using a 32" directview tv and not a projector. The 8700+ is still on my short list of considerations...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 953 Old 11-05-2004, 05:00 AM

Liked: 10
Don't know if anyone has come across this, or if this is just usual, but when I use Avia to calibrate my Xbox connected to my BENQ 8700+ the settings only apply to the interlaced sources.

When I put a game in and it plays with at 480p or 720p, the settings are totally different.

I have tried manually inputting the same settings, but the picture seems too dark and too green, so I think I'll need to calibrate them seperately.

My question is, does anyone know of a way to output PROGRESSIVE calibration screens from the Xbox?

I know I could hack the box to get the DVD player to output progressive when playing DVD's but it sounds a bit time consuming, complicated and risky (and that's coming from an ex mainframe computer programmer!). Is there an easy way to hack it?

Perhaps someone knows of a game that has a THX calibration option in it?

The games look great on my 133" screen, but want them to look perfect!
post #93 of 953 Old 11-11-2004, 08:06 AM

Hey Cyborgx,
I was hoping you'd get some answers to your questions about the iscan HD. I am just finishing the drywall/painting on a new HT room, and am about to purchase the BenQ PE8700+, and based on the review at ProjectorCentral.com, I'm going to buy the iscan too. The DVDO folks have a 30 day money back guarentee, so I thought i'd give it a try.

NOW the question is, whether or not to buy the iScan HD or the iScan HD+! I don't understand how relevant HDCP compliance is going to be in the next couple of years.

Regarding screens: the consensus for the 8700 seems to be white. --- is that pretty consistent on this thread? Comments appreciated.

Ron
post #94 of 953 Old 11-11-2004, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I was doing some testing with Halo 2 and my Benq 8700. Scanning back and forth does seem to add shimmer - not quite smearing. I don't know if it is the game or the projector. I will have to test with Unreal Tournament 2004 on my HTPC, if I can find the time.
post #95 of 953 Old 11-11-2004, 02:08 PM

Is it possible that the smearing and solarization, clay face, posterization effects are mainly from 1.07 version firmware? I have had 2 1.04 versioned 8700+ and a 1.07 8700+, and I never noticed any of those effects on the older firmware.

please let me know if my theory breaks.

thx
Davis
post #96 of 953 Old 11-11-2004, 02:45 PM

[quote]Originally posted by sixpackd
[b]Is it possible that the smearing and solarization, clay face, posterization effects are mainly from 1.07 version firmware? I have had 2 1.04 versioned 8700+ and a 1.07 8700+, and I never noticed any of those effects on the older firmware.

Sixpackd, what has your experience been dealing with BenQ service, I see you're on your third projector replacement? And I'm awaiting my second replacement, because they did not send an 8700+ the first time and it's week three now!

As far as noticing the smearing I have not noticed it either on the two 1.04 units that I've seen either. I hope the 8700+ replacement is not a 1.07 now.
post #97 of 953 Old 11-11-2004, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member

I have 1.04 in my projector. I don't generally see smearing.

However, while watching the remastered Goodfellas, I do see quite a bit of blurring in that movies copious amounts of panning. There is so much slow pans in the movie, with detailed objects in the background being panned over (textured walls, cars, people, etc.). It was quite noticeable. Again, I will have to do more testing. I don't see banding, but I see more blurriness than I think should be there...one day I will investigate this further.

I see quite a bit of solarization/posterization when first booting up Halo 2, when you continue/start a game and you get the cool loading screen with the shaft of light scrolling across. I cannot see the banding in the shaft on my CRT RPTV.
post #98 of 953 Old 11-11-2004, 03:21 PM

Clubfoot,

Although I would say that the unit doesnt seem to be as high in quality as I would have expected, I will say that benq's hot swap policy is very very good. I never had any problems with getting a replacement projector. the first replacement projector came in 2 days, and worked fine, the main problem was the optics, so when I was getting that projector swapped out, I asked for a 1.07 firmware projector. the next projector that I got was a brand spanking new projector. with the 1.07 firmware. This one has color wheel whine so its going back soon.

Max, is it possible that the solarization on halo 2 intro is just part of halo 2? i noticed it on a crt tv in 480i, my hi def mits on 480p as well as the 8700.

Davis
post #99 of 953 Old 11-11-2004, 06:50 PM

sixpacd

When I first hooked up my 8700+ I noticed a color wheel whine too but realized that it is spinning at a higher speed. That was the first day.

Now, about a month later, and after several films, I do not notice the wine at all. In fact my first impression was that the 8700+ was overall louder than the 8700. Now though, I notice it even less than the before.

If you sit in the room and concentrate on the projector and not the movie, you will notice it. But then again if you are looking for something to be wrong in anything you will find it.

Carl

"Is the glass half empty, half full, or the wrong size?"
PB&J Cinema
post #100 of 953 Old 11-11-2004, 08:23 PM

Hi. I was just visiting the site as I haven't logged in for a while. I have an 8700 and it's been installed for about 9 months. I have noticed during sports telecasts that the centre of the picture spreads out a bit. It's like the there is a small zoom spot in the centre of the screen. I thought it was the tv reception or digital decoder until I noticed the same effect whilst watching Schrek2 the other day. Is this "smearing"? If not what is it and can I fix it. I have just contacted Benq in Australia to ask their opinion but have not yet had a reply.

Any help would be appreciated

Thx
Lucky Phil
post #101 of 953 Old 11-11-2004, 10:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Davis, you could very well be right. When I looked at it with my RPTV, it wasn't even warmed up and that fuzzes everything...I forgot about that. It's very obvious on the Benq, but if you see it on the Mits, it's definitely the game.

Luck Phil, did you by chance happen to press Wide on the Benq remote? I believe Wide mode on the Benq will actually stretch out the sides of an image, but leave the center unstretched. Try pressing the ANA button on the remote, and things should be fine...no stretching in Anamorphic mode. (BTW, using Wide mode will sometimes induce posterization/clay face - a great example is the Aragorn/Arwen bridge scene in the Two Towers - Aragorn's face gets all clay-like in Wide mode).

I second what Carl said...I barely noticeable my Benq's fans now, compared to it getting on my nerves a couple of months ago. I have a half-assed hush box, but it doesn't really help as I'm having airflow issues with it, so I leave the front of the box exposed. Oh well.
post #102 of 953 Old 11-11-2004, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Originally posted by Lucky Phil
Hi. I was just visiting the site as I haven't logged in for a while. I have an 8700 and it's been installed for about 9 months. I have noticed during sports telecasts that the centre of the picture spreads out a bit. It's like the there is a small zoom spot in the centre of the screen. I thought it was the tv reception or digital decoder until I noticed the same effect whilst watching Schrek2 the other day. Is this "smearing"? If not what is it and can I fix it. I have just contacted Benq in Australia to ask their opinion but have not yet had a reply.

Any help would be appreciated

Thx
Lucky Phil

Sounds like a hot spot from your screen as you see it with sports which are usually brightly lit.
What screen are you using and at what throw distance?
How is the 8700 mounted?

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #103 of 953 Old 11-11-2004, 10:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Ah, maybe you are right Jim...I saw the words zoom and stretch so I thought it was a scaling issue.
post #104 of 953 Old 11-11-2004, 10:58 PM

Jim
I am using a 100 inch fixed screen (screen technics) and the unit is ceiling mounted. The throw distance is about 12 ft however I will need to verify this. I had it professionally installed and we checked the throw distance and mounting position and height in line with factory recommendations so as there was minimal, if any, keystone correction required.
post #105 of 953 Old 11-11-2004, 11:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Which model and material from Screen Technics?

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #106 of 953 Old 11-12-2004, 01:26 PM

for those who don't notice the blur or "smearing", watch Fight Club, the scene that shows Edward Norton's apartment where the camera pans across the room and the catalog descriptions of the items in it are listed on the screen, the printed text blurs during the pan, but when paused is clear, so if any one doesn't notice this, please, please, let me know.........
post #107 of 953 Old 11-12-2004, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

About smearing. Are you sure you're not just seeing the result of low framerates (30 or 25 fps is low in my opinion)? If I run realtime 3D animations they seem blurry at such low FPS but at 60 fps+ it's much sharper with my NEC HT1000. Just a thought.

Can the 8700 colorwheel sync to 50 or 75 Hz when it's connected by DVI-D from a HTPS? This is the only thing that annoys me about my HT1000, that it doesn't change the colorwheel speed with refresh rate.
post #108 of 953 Old 11-12-2004, 01:50 PM

On another topic, how does the BenQ 8700+ look when displaying HDTV? Is it below average, average, good or excellent?

I notice that it is only 1080i, 720p, 576p compatiable whereas the Toshiba MT800 is 1035i, 1080p, 1080i 720p compatiable....does this make a big difference?
post #109 of 953 Old 11-12-2004, 05:14 PM

All my friends have rear projection TV's and they were sure this projector was not going to look as good. They watched for about 20 minutes and then left without saying anything else. I took that as a compliment. They are over all the time now.
My DVD's looked great from the Momitsu V880, I thought I shouldn't pay for a few high def....took the plunge and it looks fantastic! Do it!
post #110 of 953 Old 11-12-2004, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by VegasVec
On another topic, how does the BenQ 8700+ look when displaying HDTV? Is it below average, average, good or excellent?

I receive all of 1 OTA HDTV station. When it comes in I'd say the picture is good. I have a Samsung STS-360 (or something like that). I use the HD Component video out. Have not tried with the DVI output yet.

The HD stations on D* are good to excellent. More of a function of the original source material. Discovery HD is always excellent.
I have not subscribed to the HD premium stations.

Quote:
Originally posted by VegasVec
I notice that it is only 1080i, 720p, 576p compatiable whereas the Toshiba MT800 is 1035i, 1080p, 1080i 720p compatiable....does this make a big difference?

The 8700 is also 480p. I'm not familiar with 1035i. It is not listed in the manual. No 1080p either. Is there anything that outputs 1080p yet? I've seen it listed as an input on a couple of projectors but not as an output.

Carl

PB&J Cinema
post #111 of 953 Old 11-12-2004, 07:07 PM

Jim
My Screen Technics screen is matt white 16:9. I also checked the measurements from the projector to the screen and it is 11ft 6 inches.

Attached is a link to the website. My screen is the 100" in 16:9 code number 1210029.

I also checked the grid available within the 8700 installation menu and all of the squares are even in shape and size. The best way I can describe the problem is that it's like there is a 1ft area running horizontally across the screen and when the credits are scrolling up the screen they get to this area and appear slightly magnified. As mentioned I have only noticed this when watching HDTV however for the first time I noticed it whilst watching a DVD (Shrek2) the other day.

Fingers crossed you have a simple solution to my problem.

http://www.screentechnics.com.au/cat...ID=CinemaSnap1

Thx
Phil
post #112 of 953 Old 11-12-2004, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lucky Phil
Jim
My Screen Technics screen is matt white 16:9. I also checked the measurements from the projector to the screen and it is 11ft 6 inches.

Attached is a link to the website. My screen is the 100" in 16:9 code number 1210029.

I also checked the grid available within the 8700 installation menu and all of the squares are even in shape and size. The best way I can describe the problem is that it's like there is a 1ft area running horizontally across the screen and when the credits are scrolling up the screen they get to this area and appear slightly magnified. As mentioned I have only noticed this when watching HDTV however for the first time I noticed it whilst watching a DVD (Shrek2) the other day.

Fingers crossed you have a simple solution to my problem.

http://www.screentechnics.com.au/cat...ID=CinemaSnap1

Thx
Phil

Lucky-
I haven't heard of this issue on the forums or seen it on my set up with the 8700.

And I don't know enough about your screen to comment on it.

Sorry, maybe others can help here.

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
post #113 of 953 Old 11-12-2004, 08:46 PM

Does the problem change or go away when you change the zoom ring on the projector? For example, if you have it zoomed all the way small or all the way big, set it to the exact opposite and see if it makes a difference.

Now that I said that, it's just another piece of information for troubleshooting - I couldn't tell you what to do if that affected the problem - make sure your lens is clean - When I was a "professional" projectionist at the local theater , myself and another guy spent 4 hours trying to fix a problem with smearing on the big screen. We cleaned that projector top to bottom, screwed around with the lamp focus and anything else we could think of. It was only when I pulled up the port glass to yell down "screw it, I can't fix it and I'm going home to bed" when I noticed the big greasy splotch on the glass where the last guy who did a lube job on the projector rubbed his greasy ass up against it.... Always check the glass and the optics!!

Don't mind me, I'm just muttering....
post #114 of 953 Old 11-12-2004, 08:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Donb01
Does the problem change or go away when you change the zoom ring on the projector? For example, if you have it zoomed all the way small or all the way big, set it to the exact opposite and see if it makes a difference.

Now that I said that, it's just another piece of information for troubleshooting - I couldn't tell you what to do if that affected the problem - make sure your lens is clean - When I was a "professional" projectionist at the local theater , myself and another guy spent 4 hours trying to fix a problem with smearing on the big screen. We cleaned that projector top to bottom, screwed around with the lamp focus and anything else we could think of. It was only when I pulled up the port glass to yell down "screw it, I can't fix it and I'm going home to bed" when I noticed the big greasy splotch on the glass where the last guy who did a lube job on the projector rubbed his greasy ass up against it.... Always check the glass and the optics!!

HAHA!! Funny story! But that's not what we mean by "smearing". If only it could be cured by a simple wipe of the lens.
post #115 of 953 Old 11-13-2004, 01:28 PM

speaking of physical lens smears, when looking at the lens on my projector there is what loooks like a very obvious finger print smear on one of the internal lens of my projector (not the outer lens), I am however very reluctant to go through the process of an exchange only because I don't seem to notice it on the output on the screen.......any one have thoughts on this..............
post #116 of 953 Old 11-13-2004, 05:16 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I will try cleaning the lens and fiddle with the zoom. Let's see if Benq can add some comment, however they have not yet responded to my e-mail. The e-mail was sent because I was cut off whilst talking to the service technician. Maybe I wasn't cut off and the guy just hung up on me because this is a new glitch that they have no answer for. Time will tell.....

Lucky Phil
post #117 of 953 Old 11-14-2004, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

I just tried my Pioneer 59avi DVD player with firmware 1.506 and it did not work with the Benq 8700+. I was able to see all the menus of the DVD player, but the HDMI options menu was still greyed out. Also the HDMI light in the front of the player did not light up. When we played a movie, no video at all. Very stange. Anyone else see this before or have this player working via the HDMI output working with the 8700+?
post #118 of 953 Old 11-14-2004, 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by fitsman
I just tried my Pioneer 59avi DVD player with firmware 1.506 and it did not work with the Benq 8700+... Anyone else see this before or have this player working via the HDMI output working with the 8700+?

Not with a Pioneer player but with an LG DVD player. It turned out that the devices needed to be turned on in a specific order. It has been a while since I had the problem. The LG player had some other issues so I took it back last July. If I remember correctly the projector had to be on first.

Try experimenting with the order; DVD first then projector, or projector then DVD player. That might to the trick. The 8700+ is fully HDCP compliant. Is the HDMI to DVD adapter you are using compliant?

Carl

PB&J Cinema
post #119 of 953 Old 11-14-2004, 06:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by Carl Holt
Not with a Pioneer player but with an LG DVD player. It turned out that the devices needed to be turned on in a specific order. It has been a while since I had the problem. The LG player had some other issues so I took it back last July. If I remember correctly the projector had to be on first.

Try experimenting with the order; DVD first then projector, or projector then DVD player. That might to the trick. The 8700+ is fully HDCP compliant. Is the HDMI to DVD adapter you are using compliant?

We tried them in both orders..Nothing worked. The adaptor is the one from Monster. It does not say HDCP anywhere on it. The model number is 400. Its funny how the setup menu for the DVD player worked, but not the video. Could that be the HDCP kicking in?
post #120 of 953 Old 11-14-2004, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

Originally posted by fitsman
We tried them in both orders..Nothing worked. The adaptor is the one from Monster. It does not say HDCP anywhere on it. The model number is 400. Its funny how the setup menu for the DVD player worked, but not the video. Could that be the HDCP kicking in?

Does the Pioneer have a DVI out? Have you tried that output instead? If so, how did that go? I realize the 8700)+ is supposed to be HDCP compliant but ya never know.

Just my 2 cents...
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Home Cinema 8700 Ub Projector , Infocus Screenplay Projector Sp4805
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page