Go With RUNCO or not ?? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-20-2004, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter
GRC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just finished setting up my HT. Components are Sammy 507, Denon 3910, Krell HTS, Krell amps,
and B&W speakers. $30k for a projector is too much, so have been toying with the idea of using the Sammy 507 for now, but RUNCO has a great picture, local dealer, and ISF. I also undrstand their service is the best, and they will ceiling mount and calibrate. But there are much cheaper projectors around, but are they really better ? Advice would be welcome from all.
thanks, rick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-20-2004, 11:58 AM

I was in the same situation as you. My local dealer could install a Runco 710 for me but I could get a Benq 8700+ for literally 1/3 of the price. I did some research and the BenQ actually is effectively the same projector as the 710. BenQ manufactures the 710 for Runco and all Runco does, as far as I can see, is change the optics and rumour has it the video processor. At the end of the day, I have seen the 710 in a properly calibrated theatre and the image is not at all better than my Benq 8700+.

I decided that I was not willing to pay 3 times as much for better service and installation. I learned as much as I could before I purchased (largely from this site). I did the install myself, calibrated the projector, and was watching a movie about 4 hours later.

This is not, by any means, a shot against Runco. I am sure that the 710 is in fact a slightly better projector as Runco does modify it from the Benq 8700+ slightly. However, if it is even 10% better (which to my eyes is NOT the case), it was 200% more money.

Just my opinion and the route I took...
post #3 of 18 Old 12-20-2004, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Given the rate change in projectors get the Benq, Sharp 2000, ....

Pocket the difference, put it in the bank. stocks, etc then buy a much better projector in 2-3 years.
post #4 of 18 Old 12-20-2004, 01:29 PM

being that I'm a runco dealer . . .

If you don't notice the (performance and service) difference between the runco and the benq, then by all means get the benq.

Before you make a decision, make sure you get a really good demo of each - you don't want to be kicking yourself three months after the purchase because of a bad demo.
post #5 of 18 Old 12-20-2004, 04:27 PM

Runco projectors are excellant and their dealers do provide excellant service. Just to let you know that any local dealer will install the calibrate the projector for a price

The posts are correct in that you can find less expensive projectors with same type of quality, but at the same time you will never be disappointed by any of the Runco projectors
post #6 of 18 Old 12-20-2004, 05:05 PM

I think I may be punting on my 710. My third projector will be here Wed. My problems are out of the ordinary, strange, even weird. Anyone interested can do a search on my user name for some of the details. What I think is happening, without any proof, is that my DirecTV Tivo HR10-250 is somehow corrupting the chip that controls the Runco start sequence.

That said, both the service of my dealer and Runco have to be rated as excellent, this is my third pj after all. I've enjoyed the PQ of my 710, but when I bought it there was no other place to do a comparison where I live. I wanted a HD2+ chip with a 7 segment wheel and when I bought there were three pj's that had that combination. The 710 had the lowest price.

As it stands now, the second tier techs at Runco think the problem is the Tivo, but do not know how or why. If I go to a 4th projector they will probably fly it out with a tech to go through everything. At some point, they will stop doing this. Three projectors in 6 months, 2 year warranty; there is no way Runco will ship me 12 projectors. What I am thinking about is not turning on the new projector, the dealer will push for a full refund due to incompatible equipment and I'll pick up a Marantz S4 from the dealer. Lots of details there to work out, but I watch DVD's and DirecTV, if there is a compatibility issue between Tivo and Runco I really don't want that hanging over my head, no matter how much I like the projector. No fault of anyone; just another one of those bad marriages.

Good way to support the troops.
www.anysoldier.com
post #7 of 18 Old 12-20-2004, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh Lord, another Runco thread. GRC, this is real simple--if you are in to DIY, then do DIY for a lot less money. If you want a company that will do it for you and back it to the hilt, you can't do better than Runco. And you pay for the privilege. Runco is like our AVS--absolutely top drawer. You decide.

Dan

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #8 of 18 Old 12-21-2004, 02:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I met Sam Runco on the first HT cruise (he even bought me a Coke!)

Really nice guy, he completely changed my view of his company.

DanHouck has summed it up perfectly. If you want red carpet treatmeant and someone else doing the heavy lifting, Runco is great!

-Allen

It's hard to love Martin Logans and 2.35:1 CIH at the same time...
post #9 of 18 Old 12-21-2004, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

I think it boils down to whether or not you are interested in buying the experience or the process of home theater. Some might say the process is part of the experience. Most of my customers want to see and be wowed by the end result, and don't focus on the path. I am also a Runco dealer, and I have bent over backwards for my customers on several occasions, even more than mentioned above. I actually got Runco to exchange a VX-1c/anamorphic $20k combo for a VX-1000c ($17k)after production of the 1c had stopped for a few months. They even took back the anamorphic lens! For those of you keeping score, that is a -$3000 transaction. Name me ONE other manufacturer that stands behind their products like that. And Sam is a great guy to boot.

People who successfully do this for a living sell stuff like Runco, Bryston, et al because the three most important things about a piece of HT gear for us are:
1. Reliability
2. Ease of use
3. Performance
If it isn't reliable, who cares how easy it is to use, and if it's hard to use, they will never avail themselves to the performance it may be capable of.

We can't afford to have things that cause a comeback after we install them. We NEED high-performance, reliable products backed by a supportive manufacturer. Admittedly, Runco has had the occasional hickup from a reliability standpoint, but have always come clean about it and taken steps to alleviate the problem. DIYers don't generally care as much if a product has to be replaced or tweaked unmercifully time and again, because it is part of the hobby to them.

You have to hand it to Venus de Milo..., otherwise she would starve.

Computers have abundant memory, but no imagination.
post #10 of 18 Old 12-21-2004, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
I met Sam Runco on the first HT cruise (he even bought me a Coke!)
He ought to. ;)Brian

Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.

Guide to Internet Forum Posting: Posting and You
post #11 of 18 Old 12-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 26
I looked and looked at a lot of projectors including Runco. I viewed Sim2 Ht300's at 2 seperate dealers and Runco 710 and 1000ci's at 3 seperate dealers. Plus I viewed DWIN, Marantz, Sharp, Vidikron, Sony, Yamaha at other dealers. By far the Sim2 HT 300's were better than the Runco's at all phases. The Runo's all seemed to have greenish blacks, ton's of rainbow's and they did not process SDTV very well. My friend who post's on here at times bought a BenQ 8700+ and it is a very nice projector with a better picture than the 710 and 1000 Runco's. I always thought Runco was one of the top projectors but not in the demo's I saw. Sorry if I offend anyone here with a Runo 710 or 1000.

Mikes Stuff
McIntosh MC207 Amps.........................DarbyVision Darblet
Marantz AV8801 Processor.................Da-Lite Screen
Klipsch Reference Series 7.2................Panasonic BluRay BDT500
Epson Pro 6010 Projector.....................Sony Playstation used for SACD and BluRay
post #12 of 18 Old 12-21-2004, 04:28 PM

With that 30k budget I would go for 1920x1080p projector such as JVC or Sony.

Tony
post #13 of 18 Old 12-21-2004, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

baipai,
I believe his remark was that "$30 for a projector is too much" but he didn't follow up with his budget. I too, think that 1920 x 1080p is now the way to go at least in the near future, but right now they are all around the $30k pricepoint, at a minimum.

GRC
If you already have the 507, I would wait at least until after CES to pull the trigger on anything in the FP arena. Who knows what will turn up there? 1920 x 1080p single-chip DLP, anyone? That could conceivably be a $15-20k product. Of course, it could also be a $30k product, but it shouldn't be.

You have to hand it to Venus de Milo..., otherwise she would starve.

Computers have abundant memory, but no imagination.
post #14 of 18 Old 12-23-2004, 07:12 AM

Asking for advice on this forum about Runco is like asking about Bose on the speaker forums. You can assure yourself a lively feedback, most of it negative.

I auditioned every FP I could find when I took the plunge over 18 months ago. Ultimately decided on the Runco 710LT, not only because the picture was at least as good as anything I saw IMHO, but because I needed the long throw lens which no one else offered. I've not regretted my decision.

Runco stood behind the unit and replaced it with a new HD2+ unit when the first unit developed some sort of electronic gremlin after 6 months. It was nice to just call the dealer and they took care of everything. And I'm not a rich, hands off guy. Everything else in the HT (wiring, screen, sound, etc) was done personally by me.

In the ensuing time, newer, improved projectors have been released by Runco and others. However, I'll stay with my 710 until a reasonably priced, 3-chip, 1080p DLP is available. I figure 2 years or so. (Dare I hope?)

At the end of the day, you can't go wrong with Runco and their dealer support.

Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
post #15 of 18 Old 12-23-2004, 09:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally posted by HiFiGuy1
baipai,
I believe his remark was that "$30 for a projector is too much" but he didn't follow up with his budget. I too, think that 1920 x 1080p is now the way to go at least in the near future, but right now they are all around the $30k pricepoint, at a minimum.

GRC
If you already have the 507, I would wait at least until after CES to pull the trigger on anything in the FP arena. Who knows what will turn up there? 1920 x 1080p single-chip DLP, anyone? That could conceivably be a $15-20k product. Of course, it could also be a $30k product, but it shouldn't be.
Also, if you're willing to do the footwork you can probably find a JVC HD2K head unit only for significantly less than 30k. Maybe ask John Patrick or Darin P ...

Yellobutt inc.
Wakeboarding, Kneeboarding, Hijinks.
post #16 of 18 Old 12-23-2004, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I like buying Runco products, but I also like driving down the highway at 100 miles per hour throwing hundred dollars bills out the window.

IB
post #17 of 18 Old 12-24-2004, 08:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I like driving behind inky blacks!
I also agree RUNCO is LEADER for support and service, but with the money inky black throws out his window and a little research I can do just as good in image quality.

Ozzie
post #18 of 18 Old 01-03-2005, 05:20 PM

GRC....

I just went and bought a street-sweeper to drive behind 'inky blacks' and hope to sweep up all those $100 bills.... GRC...go and view as many PJ as you can and decide which is the best for you... I have had the Runco VX1000C for three years now...and I have had ZERO problems. Good luck with your research and decision.... Ron AZ
Closed Thread Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page