Optoma H79 review & screenshots - Page 13 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 2404 Old 02-28-2005, 10:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Yeah, my tests were at 60Hz.

I tried getting my FX5700 to do 48Hz with the Sim2 I had previously because I knew for a fact that the Sim2's sync at 48Hz, but it didn't seem to work with Nvidia's custom resolution/refresh driver tools. The drivers would report 48Hz, but the Sim2 would report 60Hz.

I'll have to try Powerstrip, which I abandoned a while ago once Nvidia's drivers started supporting 1280x720 natively.

It would be easier if I still had my iScan HD. Sold it not too long ago, unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 2404 Old 02-28-2005, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I'm not into dlp dither motion (sri) no biggie. But I do like the pop and 3D image the H79 seems to have over other PJ's I've had. It's a weener alright.

Thirdkind, all your text is about dither motion. Nothing about the image, pop the picture?

How does it look?
thx

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #363 of 2404 Old 02-28-2005, 11:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally posted by thirdkind
I am happy to report that the panning issues plaguing the H77 are a complete non-issue on the H79.

As a matter of fact, the H79 probably handles pans and motion better than any DLP I've seen--including the Sharp 12K, my previous favorite in this regard. Motion is smooth, and detail remains high during even the most difficult scenes.

Right. Glad that's sorted out now that my arse is on the chopping block. Yikes!
post #364 of 2404 Old 02-28-2005, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
As I said, no comments until it's properly calibrated.

I find impressions at anything other than D65 (up to and including 100 IRE) to be meaningless. I could take any projector I've owned, push the contrast and color saturation, and claim it has "pop".

I don't think Optoma's handling of color or the H79's ability to get a good greyscale are the issues on most people's minds right now. I think most of us know what to expect from Optoma in these areas.

Motion dither is a glaring flaw on the H77, and I think more people are interested in knowing if the H79 suffers from the same problem than are interested in reading yet another post talking about Optoma's great colors and punchy image.

I'm not here to sell projectors for Optoma. I'm here to help those who consider the H79 a big expense decide whether or not it's worth their hard-earned money. Hence the the very thorough critique of its ability to process motion.

I'll offer my opinions on everything else once my H79 is dialed in.
post #365 of 2404 Old 03-01-2005, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

While I forgot to check the Spider-Man 2 poster scene, I have seen it on other DLPs and know that it does serve as a good torture test for motion artifacts. I'll check it just in case, but given the H79's performance on my favorite test scenes, I have no doubt that its handling of the Spider-Man 2 poster scene will be among the best we can expect from this latest generation of HD2+ DLPs.

I specifically tried this scene on my H79. Didn't see any issues with MJ in the background... SJ
post #366 of 2404 Old 03-01-2005, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Originally posted by sotagear
Right. Glad that's sorted out now that my arse is on the chopping block. Yikes!

lol, your heads not on the chopping block. You can read.

It's a very small group who are sensitive. Maybe a half dozen or less. 99 percent are or were never bothered. The members who know what to look for want some gratification, so yes I could see it in the odd scenes. I could see it in most all the pj's I have. But like I said it's no biggie for me. Not bothered at all. I can say that can't I?

The 79 plays them better but even here it's no big money deciding factor. I'm more into the brightness/3D of the image, that's something I'd pay up for.

rant over

Oh, I just had the journey in the darkness scene pass by, I'm viewing the NEC HT1000. A pixelated mess lol, just awfull. Funny how we never spoke of this for years in the many happy HT1000 owners thread.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #367 of 2404 Old 03-01-2005, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Tom,

That's because I never owned an HT1000!!!

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #368 of 2404 Old 03-01-2005, 08:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

lol,

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #369 of 2404 Old 03-01-2005, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked: 628
My HT1000 is still looking good for both HDTV ( 24 was great last night ) and 4:3 like Singing In The Rain and music videos - still love mine and it isn't going anywhere! Now if the H79 has black levels that meet or exceed the HT1000's along with all the other picture improvements that go with the DC3 chip - I'm going to be very happy! I'll know tommorrow!!

thirdkinds report leads me to believe that what others on this board thought about the H77 might be true for those that see it - the 8 segment wheel along with the processing were a little too slow to keep up on the pans at times. I don't see the panning problem with the H76 and its 6 segment wheel either. Very interesting.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #370 of 2404 Old 03-01-2005, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 213
thirdkind,

When you comment more later, could you compare the H79's internal processing with what you're getting from your HTPC?

Thanks

Noah
post #371 of 2404 Old 03-01-2005, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I swaped out the roller and screen material in my Dalite Cosmo this weekend. Went from Mat White to High Power (92"wide). Findings are High Power is too bright with the H79. It's helpful with the H77 and HT1000. With the H79 I'll have to wait for the bulb to die out some. I'm using econo mode and the PJ is ceiling mounted also. I'd guess the 1.3 gain could be a better match for the 79.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #372 of 2404 Old 03-01-2005, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
My 1.3 CV 2.35:1 screen is looking good with the H76, so I am going to imagine ( but only until tommorrow night - woo hoo ) that my new H79 will look awesome on it with wide screen movies!! And the smaller 1.85:1 HCCV should work well too really - can't wait to see those black levels on that!!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
post #373 of 2404 Old 03-01-2005, 01:25 PM

Craig, could you post your impressions of the H79 with the CV and HCCV once you've had a chance to view. I'm still deciding on my screen.
post #374 of 2404 Old 03-01-2005, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Looks like it's going to be a big week for the projector family. Happy contrast guys/happy motion sensitive guys. Looks to be a great week all around.

With all the bases covered thirdkind will be right. You'll have a winner on your hands. Lowest price/low sound level, super picture - it's almost too good somethings gotta go wrong.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #375 of 2404 Old 03-01-2005, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

" it's almost too good somethings gotta go wrong " - we can complain we don't have Blu Ray or HD DVD's yet - how's that?

" Craig, could you post your impressions of the H79 with the CV and HCCV once you've had a chance to view. I'm still deciding on my screen " - no problem - give me until this weekend.

post #376 of 2404 Old 03-01-2005, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Hey Craig, just got some food for the 4.3 HT1000, delivered from Amazon.

Says -

Warner Bros. Pictures
GANGSTERS -collection

Public Enemy
White Heat
Angels With Dirty Faces
Little Caesar
The Petrified Forest
The Roaring Twenties

oh boy!

For the H79 I got the two
Invasion of the Body Snatchers flicks, the early Kevin McCarthy and later Donald Sutherland w/mr spock also.

The projectors need their food.

My guess is both those screens are going to work great with the 79.
Tomorrows the day, enjoy

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #377 of 2404 Old 03-01-2005, 07:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Tom - we always have a steady trickle of new ( or just new to me ) DVD's coming. U 571, Fast and the Furious, I can't remember what else is on its way! I really have no doubt the H79 will work great with my two screen / 3 screen format concept!!

post #378 of 2404 Old 03-02-2005, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Someone asked to see how the H79 holds up with light in the room.

The family/theater room is next to a kitchen and dinning room. Here I left the curtains open and the kitchen light on, plus a light 3feet from the screen.

The screen
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/h79light.jpg

Rooms just behind the projector mount.
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/h79light1.jpg

Closed down the light, a couple of shots with the High Power screen.

Comcast Fox 480p
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/h79highpower.jpg

DVD 720p DVI, cheap Toshiba player SD5970
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/h79highpower1.jpg
http://www.cigarbest.com/sales/h79highpower2.jpg

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #379 of 2404 Old 03-02-2005, 12:01 PM

Tom, that was me who requested to see the shots with light. Thanks for posting those. I have already ordered my H79, so it's reassuring to see that it looks good with ambient light. Also nice to see that 480p looks so good.
post #380 of 2404 Old 03-02-2005, 12:08 PM

Hi all

Just registered but have been reading the H77/H79 threads for a while and am looking to get one or the other of these to replace my HS10.

Would any of you be able to check the H79 with PAL material (progessive and interlaced)? I appreciate that this is not something that would interest the bulk of the posters in the US!

Are US Optoma retailers allowed to ship outside the US because it does not look like we are getting the H79 in the UK?

Cheers
Rob
post #381 of 2404 Old 03-02-2005, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I think the euro model will be called H77a. There is a CWI 50hz & CWI 60hz in our service mode. So if someone here can test a PAL signal these may help if they run into a signal problem. Me I don't have one PAL disc, sri
good luck

You can buy from the US, not sure how you'll handle warranty work. You may have to send the PJ back to the US.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #382 of 2404 Old 03-02-2005, 12:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I played the typical torture test clips I've used previously for the panning/motion dither artifact, specifically, the scene in the LOTR intro where the dwarves are given their rings, the fight scene between Gandalf and Saruman where Saruman twirls Gandalf around and around on the floor, and the Starship Troopers bootcamp scene where the drill sergeant walks in front of the company as the camera pans across them.

I don't think we have the same tolerance for panning. I check the fight scene between Gandalf and Saruman on my H77 last night. I watch it 3 times and got closer to the screen. I don't see anything. I don't quite understand because I do see a lot of panning problems myself. Can you check the scene when the fellowship get in the mines? It's at a beginning of a chapter on the second DVD of the extended version. Gandalf make some light and Legolas pass in front of the screen with the light source behind him. Look at his face. Not to good.

In Catwoman. Chapter two. Halle walk with her friend in the office and the wall on your left with painting on it look funny.

I tried does scenes last night and compared them to my old Viewsonic PJL830. The old DLP play them without any problems. Everything look good and smooth.
The Viewsonic seem sharper. The H77 seems out of focus when there is mouvement in the picture.

Bruno
post #383 of 2404 Old 03-02-2005, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

My H79 just arrived at work via FED X - yippy ( except I'm still at work for another 3 hours - boo )!!

post #384 of 2404 Old 03-02-2005, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

Originally posted by Craig Peer
My H79 just arrived at work via FED X - yippy ( except I'm still at work for another 3 hours - boo )!!

Do you still have the H76? It would be interesting to hear if you see a difference in the fill factor (SDE lines) up close.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #385 of 2404 Old 03-02-2005, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

yes I do and I'll see what kind of comparison test I can do this weekend.

post #386 of 2404 Old 03-02-2005, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

"Originally posted by thirdkind

I played the typical torture test clips I've used previously for the panning/motion dither artifact, specifically, the scene in the LOTR intro where the dwarves are given their rings, the fight scene between Gandalf and Saruman where Saruman twirls Gandalf around and around on the floor, and the Starship Troopers bootcamp scene where the drill sergeant walks in front of the company as the camera pans across them"

Quote:

Originally posted by bgosselin
I don't think we have the same tolerance for panning. I check the fight scene between Gandalf and Saruman on my H77 last night. I watch it 3 times and got closer to the screen. I don't see anything. I don't quite understand because I do see a lot of panning problems myself. Can you check the scene when the fellowship get in the mines? It's at a beginning of a chapter on the second DVD of the extended version. Gandalf make some light and Legolas pass in front of the screen with the light source behind him. Look at his face. Not to good.

In Catwoman. Chapter two. Halle walk with her friend in the office and the wall on your left with painting on it look funny.

I tried does scenes last night and compared them to my old Viewsonic PJL830. The old DLP play them without any problems. Everything look good and smooth.
The Viewsonic seem sharper. The H77 seems out of focus when there is mouvement in the picture.

Bruno

Bruno,
I wouldn't worry about it just about every digital display will play the scenes a little funky.

Here I started a thread on this in December.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=468975

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #387 of 2404 Old 03-02-2005, 02:21 PM

So can we hope that H79 has solved the dithering problem?

Ninja!
Lords of the Night
post #388 of 2404 Old 03-02-2005, 02:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Originally posted by guitarman
"Originally posted by thirdkind

I played the typical torture test clips I've used previously for the panning/motion dither artifact, specifically, the scene in the LOTR intro where the dwarves are given their rings, the fight scene between Gandalf and Saruman where Saruman twirls Gandalf around and around on the floor, and the Starship Troopers bootcamp scene where the drill sergeant walks in front of the company as the camera pans across them"

Bruno,
I wouldn't worry about it just about every digital display will play the scenes a little funky.

Here I started a thread on this in December.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=468975

The LOTR scene and Catwoman scene plays well on my Viewsonic. I guess the 1x colorwheel give plenty of time to the mirror to flip.

I've seen worst scene in two anime. Reboot: My two bob and in Mulan.

Once again my Viewsonic plays them without any problem.

Are you saying the H79 plays them similar to the H77? a little bit better? or way better?
post #389 of 2404 Old 03-02-2005, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Way better but is it worth 3 or 4 grand to you to get the clips to play better? You will get an overall better image quality for the upgrade, nicer blacks and contrast, looks way brighter also.

My HT1000 six/seg five speed wheel plays the LOTR clip worse than the H77.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #390 of 2404 Old 03-02-2005, 02:32 PM

Quite a lot of us find the issue to be very annoying, included myself.
I have a SP7200, and - believe me - it is a real pita.
I only have a very small passage where to fit the projector, and I was looking at 7210, hoping that even if smaller, it could have the same good-looking pans as H79, with the lesser amount of dithering. Have you seen one of these?

Ninja!
Lords of the Night
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page