The Official Canon SX50 Thread - Page 26 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #751 of 766 Old 11-02-2006, 03:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We use a PC for DVD movies and games. The games look beautiful too on the SX50!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #752 of 766 Old 01-08-2007, 06:57 PM

Wow, everybody seems to have stopped talking about the SX50.

I have a couple of problems, I'm looking for advise on.

1) Overall dimness. My bulb isn't all that old (less than 300 hours) yet it's dramatically dimmer than when I first bought it. I realize there is an expected drop off in the the first 100 hours or so, but this is pretty dramatic, I actually think my G1000 with a new bulb is quite a bit brighter, which is quite a flip flop, when I first got my SX50 it was dramatic how much brighter it was.

2) Left half dimmer than right. After developing quite a few annoying dust blobs, I sent my SX50 back to Canon, about a week after it came back I noticed that the left side of the screen was quite a bit darker then the right. And the transition from dark to light happens pretty suddenly (50-100 pixels), so it makes it look like there is a fuzzy line down the middle separating the different brightnesses.

Canon aficionados... Advise?

"Done the Impossible" a Firefly Fan Documentary. www.donetheimpossible.com
post #753 of 766 Old 02-18-2007, 06:36 AM

Jeremy.. It sounds like you should send the projector back to Canon. One of the beautiful benefits of the SX50 is that comes with a 3yr warranty. They will also give you a loaner if you request it. http://www.canon.ca/pdf/Projector_loaner.pdf

I'm loving my SX50! I keep reading all the specs of the new projectors and they seem inpressive, except for the light output. I'm really hoping Canon comes out with a 16:9 projector, but as it stands I'm using my SX50 only in 16:9 mode and it's great!

Does anyone know what the calculations would be to figure out the effective lumens of the SX50 in 16:9 mode? If it's 2500 ANSI lumens in 4:3 how many lumens am I losing in 16:9?

Bill.
post #754 of 766 Old 03-07-2007, 02:54 PM

Well, it's been about a year and a half, and now, my SX-50 bulb is noticably dimmer. My Canon LV-X1 bulb I previously owned lasted about as long. A new one's is coming in and we'll all see the difference. The 'meter' for the bulb is about two thirds across.
I also hooked an HD-DVD player to the SX-50. Though the image was sharper, the difference was just barely discernable on our 10' screen, especially in contrast to the region 4 DVDs I have.
I think, until they actually stop (or if they they stop) pressing standard DVDs, the HD/Blu-ray will be an incidental market, like the Laserdiscs were 20 or so years ago. I don't have much interest in it, it seems a very few do. Standard DVDs with the right equipment, can look nearly as good!
post #755 of 766 Old 03-07-2007, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
well, after watching HD-DVD's and SD through the XA1 on my pearl, we don't really look for anything but HD.

The SD looked really good, but the HD looked better.

To each his own, but I don't see myself buying many more SD DVD's.

Best Regards,
Doug
post #756 of 766 Old 03-16-2007, 10:33 AM

I have "Forbidden Planet" on HD-DVD and a standard DVD. I thought it would be interesting to compare the two through the SX50. Standard 'FP' on an OPPO up-scaler, and HD 'FP' on an RCA HD-DVD player. Nothing I did was professional, just toying around. I paused them both on the opening credits where the 'small print', copywrite and MGM lion decal were projected, since this would be good for detail. The following photos are the result. The MGM decal is about 12" long on my 10 foot (left to right, not diaganal) screen, the paragraph with the copywrite was about 18-20". I give you the (easy) guesses as to which one's are which! ENJOY!!
LL
LL
post #757 of 766 Old 03-16-2007, 10:38 AM

I can only post three pictures on one posting. So here are the next pair of photos:

There must be a trick to showing the photos straight from the text, if anyone can help, let me know.

Again, this is just for interest, not a serious critique!
LL
LL
post #758 of 766 Old 03-16-2007, 03:32 PM
Advanced Member

I use a HTPC with the Xbox360 HD drive with my SX50 for a 12' screen, and I can report there is an improvement with HD, especially for those with a bigger screen where the extra HD resolution makes a difference. I use FFDSHOW with avisynth sharpening for SD which does a pretty amazing job with upscaling SD, however the big difference with HD is not so much the resolution but the better rendition of colors and lack of artifacts. It just looks cleaner and more natural.

My SX50 has about 200 hours on it and I have noticed a small drop in light level, however the image is still bright enough for a 12' studiotek screen (1.3 gain) when running in 16x9 (I use low lamp mode to conserve the bulb and reduce the fan noise). As the SX50 has about 2000 lumens in low mode, you lose 25% of the lumens by running it in 16x9 (difference between 1400x1050 and 1400x788 pixels). I'd be happy to replace my SX50 with a newer generation 1500 lumens projector with 1080x1920 resolution and a much higher CR rating, however the lack of lumens is a real killer with the latest generation of projectors for those of us with larger screens.

In general I'm still pretty happy with the SX50, although the dust blobs are a bit of a problem and I'd like more CR. I'm hoping the next generation of HD projectors improves the lumens level - because the higher resolution of a HD projector will be very tolerant of a larger screen except for the lack of lumens with the current generation!

Regards,
Dean
post #759 of 766 Old 03-17-2007, 05:22 AM

I hope Canon comes out with an HD projector with the SX50 'inners' for brightness, I have no intentions of replacing the SX50 till then.

I did get my replacement bulb yesterday. I'd like to set my camera on 'fixed' light settings instead of auto, and try some photos with the older dimmer bulb and then with the new brighter bulb for comparision.

Deandob,

May I ask what the specs are on your HTCP? That's the route I'd like to go with Blu-Ray/ HD-DVD or both. What kind/speed chip, video card, ect.... I got a great deal on the RCA HD-DVD player (it was a return) and I figure the drive would still work in a PC. It was a lot cheaper than buying a new HD-DVD drive.
post #760 of 766 Old 03-17-2007, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Dean, I just sent mine in to Canon because of the dust blob problem and they replaced the optical block and did some other stuff to it, no charge. It is better than new IMO.

Just ship it to the NJ service facility and specify that it needs the "dust fix."

Dan

My HT is an oldie but goodie!
post #761 of 766 Old 03-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Dan,

I live down under and unfortunately Canon Australia dont do the dust blob fix but its worth asking again. Last time I checked I could not get them to acknowledge that there was an actual engineering fix but that was over a year ago. Do you have any official information from Canon that indicates that there is a fix for dust?

Morritec,

I dont think HD DVD/BluRay is ready on the PC yet, as I use PowerDVD which has too many bugs in the current version and required a lot of tweaking. However it is now working with the following config:
AMD x2 3800
Abit motherboard with 1Gb RAM
Windows XP
PowerDVD
Gigabyte 6600GT fanless videocard with beta v100.?? Nvidia HD graphics driver
AnyDVD (this software is a must, it bypasses HDCP protection as the Canon does not have it)
DVI output
EMU 1820m Pro-audio soundcard

Advantages:
- For HD DVD this is a cheap solution if you already have a HTPC (it cost me an extra $350 to add the HD bits)
- Sound quality is better than a player due to the pro quality of my soundcard, and with DD+ and DTS HD it makes a difference
- More versatile than a player (upgradeable, play games etc)
- You can have HD DVD and BluRay in the same machine with the latest version of PowerDVD if you have the right drives.

Disadvantages:
- PowerDVD uses overlay video which at least on the SX50 & my graphics card does not look as good as VRM9 video on my setup (compressed whites/blacks)
- There is too much red in the picture but the SX50 color adjust can fix this
- BluRay players are more expensive (I dont have BluRay)
- Takes a while to tune & get right. I'm in the IT industry and (sort of) know this stuff, but it has been a pain so someone without much PC knowledge should wait a few months before all the bugs are shaken out.

Regards,
Dean
post #762 of 766 Old 08-13-2007, 01:28 PM

Yes, last night I changed my SX-50 bulb for the first time. 20 months it lasted. A small pop-up menu shows when just warming up the SX-50 for 15 seconds or so reminding you to order another bulb (I already had one though!) I used the old bulb for about two weeks after the kindly reminder, but yes, the picture during those two weeks was getting noticably darker. After putting in the new bulb- wow, a nice very bright picture again! A bright picture does add an awful lot to the enjoyment of the video. The brighter whites help 'fool' your eyes into perceiving the blacks darker, just as a snowy white day makes anything dark look very black. Now if Canon would just come out with a 1080p widescreen projector I'll be set for life!
post #763 of 766 Old 08-13-2007, 08:38 PM

I just put in my 2nd bulb. I try to push my bulbs to about 2000 hours before replacing them, but I always look forward to seeing what the new bulb will be like.

I'm having a bit of a hot spot problem with my projector so I need to do a bit of research to see what might be causing it.
post #764 of 766 Old 12-10-2007, 09:10 AM

My sx50 died, a faint pop and no picture since. No power LED when connected, does anyone know if there is a fuse that could have blown or is this more likely a blown power supply, luckily it's still in warranty, i hope. Anyone heard of a SX50 dying like this?
post #765 of 766 Old 07-02-2008, 03:28 PM

I have a couple of these for sale in an unopened brand new box if anyone is interested then email me zipwirebe@gmail.com
post #766 of 766 Old 10-13-2008, 11:57 PM

Had my Canon SX50 replaced with only 2 weeks left in the 3 year warranty.

I was getting a greenish tint in the centre of the image. Someone else in another thread said it was a common problem with LCOS projectors.

Has anyone else had this happen to their Canon projector?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page