Happy H79/H78dc3 owners thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 1389 Old 11-14-2005, 03:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
am willing to go with the spyder package, but there seem to be a few different packages and it's not clear which one is the right one. there's a "datacolor spydertv" package, a "spyder2" package, and a "spyder2 studio pro 2.0" package. which one do i need? and any good tips on where to buy it (do they sell it through avs or one of the affiliated dealers)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1389 Old 11-14-2005, 04:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Ask over int eh Sryder thread in the calibration forum, you'll get a good objective answer there from those who have developed the things.
post #363 of 1389 Old 11-14-2005, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry v s View Post

Has anybody had any problems with the projector displaying No Signal when connected throught DVI? I was just trying to hook up my new H78 through DVI and I couldn't get a signal from the Zenith DVB-318. The component cables worked. Any ideas that I could try?

barry

As soon as I plug in the DVI cable teh Optoma loses signal and the DVD player locks up, and I cant do anything but unplug the DVD player. Component works fine. It looks great but I was looking forward to the DVI upscaled to 720p.

One other thing that I had to laugh at was I had left the lens cap on and was watching Star wars III and was thinking "this looks pretty good" It is a bright projector right now. I need to tame it with DVE soon. After I get the DVI thing settled. I really need to figure out if it is the DVD player or the projector. I was hoping there was a DVI cable in the Optoma box, but no.

thanks
barry
post #364 of 1389 Old 11-14-2005, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Basic starting point is setting the Image area to -

zero white peak
color temp 2
TV (image choice

In the Picture menu -
Cinema
Gamma 1

Use Avia from there to tune the brightness, contrast and color. After all that take a look at a graysteps pattern and look for any color bias. Use the how to eyeball a better grayscale I put in the first post of several Optoma review threads, h79, h77, h31.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #365 of 1389 Old 11-15-2005, 08:21 AM

Major problem possibly.

I've got two faint vertical lines of stray light about a foot to the right and left of my screen coming from the lens. In dark scenes, they're quite noticeable.

Is this a setting item, or do I have a defective projector? And has anyone else experienced this? It's only about 10 hours old.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
post #366 of 1389 Old 11-15-2005, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

The only time I'll see light on the sides is if the projectors angled off or zoom is not tight on the screens border frame.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #367 of 1389 Old 11-15-2005, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

The only time I'll see light on the sides is if the projectors angled off or zoom is not tight on the screens border frame.

It's not that. The light is outside the border of the picture about a foot and a half.

Luck happens when preparation meets opportunity.
post #368 of 1389 Old 11-15-2005, 02:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds odd, call the Optoma tech area.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #369 of 1389 Old 11-15-2005, 04:06 PM

I have a possible weird problem with my Home Theater set-up.
I have an H78DC3 connected VIA a 30 foot HDMI cable to a Denon 1920 player.
The cable installed in my ceiling was about 4 inches too short for where the projector hangs from my ceiling (bummer), so there is a 1 meter extender cable connected via HDMI plugs to the cable then connected to the projector using the Optoma provided HDMI - DVI plug.
The HDMI cables and HDMI connectors are made by Audioquest.
Here is the problem. The 1 meter extender cable has now been replaced THREE times in as many months. All of a sudden, I get no picture and the HDMI light on the DVD player flashes. As soon as I replace the 1 meter cable, its fine again. It could be that the cable was bad twice, but is probably unlikely.
Anyone heard of this?

I have way too many gadgets.
Gadget Reviews
post #370 of 1389 Old 11-15-2005, 09:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry v s View Post

As soon as I plug in the DVI cable teh Optoma loses signal and the DVD player locks up, and I cant do anything but unplug the DVD player. Component works fine. It looks great but I was looking forward to the DVI upscaled to 720p.

One other thing that I had to laugh at was I had left the lens cap on and was watching Star wars III and was thinking "this looks pretty good" It is a bright projector right now. I need to tame it with DVE soon. After I get the DVI thing settled. I really need to figure out if it is the DVD player or the projector. I was hoping there was a DVI cable in the Optoma box, but no.

thanks
barry

Barry,

I can almost guarantee 100% this is your issue toohttp://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6495148 . That sounds ike the exact same thing that happens to my Bravo D1 when I try to hook it to my plasma's DVI.

Read the threads after that one too for some other follow-on advice. I can get you one if you need it?

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #371 of 1389 Old 11-15-2005, 09:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisdude View Post

I have a possible weird problem with my Home Theater set-up.
I have an H78DC3 connected VIA a 30 foot HDMI cable to a Denon 1920 player.
The cable installed in my ceiling was about 4 inches too short for where the projector hangs from my ceiling (bummer), so there is a 1 meter extender cable connected via HDMI plugs to the cable then connected to the projector using the Optoma provided HDMI - DVI plug.
The HDMI cables and HDMI connectors are made by Audioquest.
Here is the problem. The 1 meter extender cable has now been replaced THREE times in as many months. All of a sudden, I get no picture and the HDMI light on the DVD player flashes. As soon as I replace the 1 meter cable, its fine again. It could be that the cable was bad twice, but is probably unlikely.
Anyone heard of this?

It may be the same with yours too. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6495148 . I think this problem is wider spread than many realize

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Sales & Installations
post #372 of 1389 Old 11-15-2005, 09:43 PM

Phil, I got in my H78DC3 today and I know you were waiting for my feedback on it against the Panasonic AE900...all I can say is that the folks on this forum who talk about the H78/H79 do know what they are talking about. Not to rain on the AE900 owners out there or start a flame, but the DC3 DLP projectors are definitely in a separate league when it comes to picture quality, black levels, filmlike-quality, contrast ratio, shadow details, etc. You do get what you pay for and I am glad I was able to see both in my home to make my decision. For me, it is worth the extra $$$ so go for the more expensive H78DC3 if you can afford it. I was also fortunate enough not to be sensitive to the RBE that DLP has and this was my greatest fear/risk in going from LCD to DLP. I am not a first time projector owner and have seen many other models in the past 5 years I've had this hobby. I was amazed at what your money can buy you nowadays. This projector is a great value at this time, if not the best and should last you a long while until 3-chip 1080i DLPs come along and come down at the less than $5K prices. Hope this helps you in your buying decision...and thanks to all the AVSer's here who have provided their input on this model in one way or another, I am now a happy H78DC3 owner as well...

nino :)
post #373 of 1389 Old 11-16-2005, 02:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
We told ya so!

Enjoy!

"...I'm ready for dream-time Mr. B."
post #374 of 1389 Old 11-16-2005, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz View Post

Anyone know if the replacement bulbs for the H-79,78,77 are all the same bulb or not?

Yes, they are the same part number for all 3 models. I got my spare bulb in for the H78DC3 and it says H77/79...

nino :)
post #375 of 1389 Old 11-16-2005, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Harper View Post

It may be the same with yours too. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&&#post6495148 . I think this problem is wider spread than many realize

Hummm, could be the problem. The cable going into my DVD player is HDMI and this is where the device would need to go since the power is easily accessible and can be hidden. Is there an HDMI version? Or will I need to get more HDMI - DVI plugs

I have way too many gadgets.
Gadget Reviews
post #376 of 1389 Old 11-16-2005, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erod View Post

Major problem possibly.

I've got two faint vertical lines of stray light about a foot to the right and left of my screen coming from the lens. In dark scenes, they're quite noticeable.

Is this a setting item, or do I have a defective projector? And has anyone else experienced this? It's only about 10 hours old.

I have seen that on my H76. I have had the H76 RMA'd several times for other things and it is not projecting the stray light at this time. I don't know why it does it, but it might be related to lense shift or zoom. Try playing with either or both and see if it goes away. Otherwise call Optoma. They are helpful, though they are getting a bit too scripted these days.
post #377 of 1389 Old 11-16-2005, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggisdude View Post

Hummm, could be the problem. The cable going into my DVD player is HDMI and this is where the device would need to go since the power is easily accessible and can be hidden. Is there an HDMI version? Or will I need to get more HDMI - DVI plugs

I think it's DVI only, sorry!!!

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Sales & Installations
post #378 of 1389 Old 11-16-2005, 03:09 PM

For your H78 owners-- how do they do with sports for instance with some lights turned on? Is it bright enough? I love movies but sports-watching is definitely my top priority and many like lights on (but all dimmable). Will it still give you a good bright picture in this type of setting like a 7210 would?

Regards
Shane

We shall show mercy, but we shall not ask for it. - Winston Churchill
post #379 of 1389 Old 11-16-2005, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

My H79 has absolutely no problems with this with indirect lighting like sconces.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Sales & Installations
post #380 of 1389 Old 11-16-2005, 05:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneoneill View Post

For your H78 owners-- how do they do with sports for instance with some lights turned on? Is it bright enough? I love movies but sports-watching is definitely my top priority and many like lights on (but all dimmable). Will it still give you a good bright picture in this type of setting like a 7210 would?

Regards
Shane

This is about the screen, not the PJ. If you want some lights on, get a Firehawk or a supernova. SN is double the cost. If it was on your list, a HCCV does not compare in light rejection to the FH. I saw them in person side by side a few weeks ago.

Other than Lumens, the PJ isn't a factor here. The screen is. But, the H79 (same bulb) was brighter than a 300E, Marantz S3, but NOT as bright as a IF 7205/10. It will not compete in brightness against a 7210. And teh 7210 will not have the same pic in the dark as the H79 IMO.

HTH
post #381 of 1389 Old 11-16-2005, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Regards
Shane

I have watched lots of Football, some Basketball, a little Baseball and even 1 Nascar night race.....and wish I could get Hockey ota HD and can watch sports with some dim lights on with a gray screen....but a hi power from Da-lite or a Silverstar would be required if your looking for a plasma look....and /or are using lights.
I prefer the CRT look and usually watch in the dark...or close to dark.
post #382 of 1389 Old 11-16-2005, 07:20 PM

I am in the process of buying my first home projector. I have spent endless nights reading reviews on-line and reading this forum. I think the H79 stands out as the best value in home theater projection, but the H78 seems like the same thing with a little less light output.

I am also planning on getting Vutec Silverstar 103" 16x9 screen.

Here are my questions...

1) Do I buy the H78 or H79?

2) What are your thoughts on the Vutec Silverstar screen with this projector? I have read nothing but rave reviews on this screen... but none so far used an Optoma projector!
post #383 of 1389 Old 11-16-2005, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

H78 and if seating is not to side and allignment is good, then the ultra cheap and incredible Optoma gray screen, Graywolf.

You won't be sorry.

It's all just a game. I just play to win.
post #384 of 1389 Old 11-16-2005, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by enormity32 View Post

I am in the process of buying my first home projector. I have spent endless nights reading reviews on-line and reading this forum. I think the H79 stands out as the best value in home theater projection, but the H78 seems like the same thing with a little less light output.

I am also planning on getting Vutec Silverstar 103" 16x9 screen.

Here are my questions...

1) Do I buy the H78 or H79?

2) What are your thoughts on the Vutec Silverstar screen with this projector? I have read nothing but rave reviews on this screen... but none so far used an Optoma projector!

I would buy the 78....but your screen seems a bit small for such a high gain screen imo.
You may want to consider going with a larger Silverstar. 110-120"...or a screen with less gain.

You could P.M. joerod also as he owns an H-79 and Silverstar.....but he is a newlywed so probably doesn't spend much time here.
post #385 of 1389 Old 11-17-2005, 03:58 AM

Wow thanks fellas. The H78 came in today. A full report forthcoming!

We shall show mercy, but we shall not ask for it. - Winston Churchill
post #386 of 1389 Old 11-17-2005, 06:38 AM

Quote:

Regards
Shane

if you want to watch sports, you may want to consider dark walls ceiling, and floor coverings. this will not reflect the ambient light. I have an H79 w/ a carada brilliant white screen (118 inches) my room is 15x 20, I have 2 can lights in the back over the seating area, and 2 up front . If I turn the 2 in front off and leave the 2 in back on full, my picture is not washed out at all, but it is a little dimmer than full dark. Now my carpet, ceiling, & front wall are black, and my side walls & back wall are a dark red, I also have gold base & chair rail. Sounds tacky I know, but I do love my KC Chiefs (not really sure why though). I feel like I have the best of all worlds, I have the plasma look in full dark. I have a very nice picture with half light on (besides you only need light over the seating area for sports, up around the screen can be dark) all for about the cost of a rear projection big screen from BB.
post #387 of 1389 Old 11-17-2005, 05:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I have brown walls, and I also painted my soffet brown as well. I have a darker industrial theater style type carpet. Anyway, I enjoy movies as much as sports. Liek this Thanksgiving, we have football plans (in HD) and then we plan to watch a Christmas movie or two. Probably the Polar Express for starters. I have 4 can lights on a dimmer as well. Two up front and two in the back area. Then I have two wall sconces on the back wall. When I have the back wall sconces on they tend to wash the picture out. The four can lights can be on at medium levels and do nothing to the picture...Hope this helps...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #388 of 1389 Old 11-17-2005, 08:04 PM

I'm interested in purchasing H78 from an AUTHORIZED dealer. Who is a good on-line merchant and has anyone seen this PJ in a store in the Philly area? Phil
post #389 of 1389 Old 11-18-2005, 12:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Phillip,

Good luck finding one being demo'd in a local store... not that it could not happen, but it would be as easy as finding an honest politician!

However, our sponsors here at AVS do sell them! and I believe Dave Harper who works with AVS lives in the Philly area as luck would have it... at least he is a "die hard" Eagles fan, so he is probably close by.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #390 of 1389 Old 11-18-2005, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I am a dealer for Optoma thru AVS here. I am also located sort of in the Philly area and have a demo room featuring an H79, so you will get a good indication of what it will look like.

I am in the far western edge of Lancaster County, almost exactly half way between Lancaster city and Harrisburg, in Elizabethtown. Feel free to call me anytime after 5PM when I am in the office. Right in the heart of Amish country, so I gotta watch those buggies!!!

And unfortunately for now.....I am a die-hard Eagles fan!!! Where's T.O. when you need him

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Sales & Installations
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page