Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 1389 Old 12-05-2005, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Dave,
I emailed you for a quote on the special mentioned in your sticky, but I don't think I got a response (unless my junk filter caught it.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 1389 Old 12-05-2005, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Joe,

Shoot me a PM with your email address and I'll see if I have something from you.

Dave Harper
ISF, CTS
Harper Home Theater Systems
ISF Calibrations, Consultations
Sales & Installations
post #453 of 1389 Old 12-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

with mine I have the projector upright about 3" below the top of the screen. When I zoom only the bottom and sides expand. So if ceiling mounting I'd guess it would be the same.
post #454 of 1389 Old 12-05-2005, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstowers View Post

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This could be serious. I just purchased the Sony NS-3100ES DVD player and it failed to carry the HMDI signal to my projector via HDMI to DVI adapter.

My projector, Optoma H79 has a DVI input. I used the DVI-HDMI adapter and ran HDMI to the 3100ES. Over several days I came to realize the Sony could not passthrough a signal via HDMI to DVI adapter. I took out my DVI to HDMI connection and ran it to the HD cable box and no problem, the signal was transferred from the cable box to the projector onto the screen. I was baffled, one would expect the lower resolution from the DVD would be easier to transfer than HD resolution. That's when I knew it was the DVD player, 3100ES.

I called Sony, they had no clue. First level of service told me that I had to have the Video Off switch to "off" to playback through HDMI, that made no sense and didn't work. Sony's second level of service said it was a faulty HDMI input and told me to return it.

When I took it back to my A/V store they tested the 3100ES and it worked via HDMI. However, when I got it home, via HDMI came up blank again. (Note, component worked with no problem) Then I realized, let me test the 3100ES with a tv with DVI. I went to a neighbor who happened to have a flat-panel Dell with a DVI-I input just like my projector. We set it up and again, just as I thought, no signal.

I then returned the 3100ES to my A/V store, they weren't too happy, they seemed more interested in how they would sell an "open box" item rather than the fact they may have the same problem with future 3100ES purchasers. Anyway, I exchanged it for the Denon 1920, took it home and it worked. The Denon was able to transfer the HDMI signal through my DVI-HDMI adapter. I was slightly perturbed becasue the audio on the 3100ES was fantastic. But, I have no use for it, if the video can't transfer a signal via HDMI.

I would be interested to hear from anyone else that had this problem with the 3100ES.

For grins I tried a Sony ns-70 that was bought for one of our monitor tv's and tried it on my h-78 and had no problems at all syncing via hdmi/dvi....and this is an el cheapo 150.00 non es player.
My Onkyo sp 1000 is in no danger of being replaced by it....much like the Pany s-97 I tried...but for 150.00 I was quite impressed.
post #455 of 1389 Old 12-06-2005, 06:53 AM

Being wrapped up with a bunch of other things, I totally forgot to get a ceiling mount.

My StudioTek screen is on the way, with the "thicker" 3-4" border, which will be mounted flush with the ceiling.

Any suggestions as to which mount would be "best"?

P.S. Dave, you are the one I ordered the screen and H78DC3 from....so yes you had something to do with my happiness
post #456 of 1389 Old 12-06-2005, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone here a former Benq 7700 user? Can anyone offer a direct comparison? The whole no lens offset issue is making me second guess the H78DC3 in my set-up (I'll have to use the maximum lens shift to ceiling mount, and even then I'm going to have to drop the PJ lower than I'd like.)

I'm upgrading from an ancient LS110, so either machine is going to be a major step up in PQ. What factors make spending $1,500 more on the Optoma a good choice?
post #457 of 1389 Old 12-06-2005, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

I haven't seen the 7700, but I do own the H78. The H78 has the 8segment color wheel which offers less dithering in dark scenes; It has better contrast; equal or greater brightness; Will likely be quieter; and likely the most significant is the DC3 chip instead of the DC2 chip in the 7700. They both are reviewed on www.projectorreviews.com.
post #458 of 1389 Old 12-06-2005, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, gobrigavitch. Actually, by spec the 7700 is 300 lumens brighter. (How much that equates to real world brightness ... who knows.)

I've read all of the "professional" reviews. Has anyone auditioned both?
post #459 of 1389 Old 12-06-2005, 02:10 PM

Liked: 11
I had the Mt700 which is the 7700 clone, it put out a nice picture but let me list the differences as I saw them

1: Mt700 had very bad motion artifacts on pans, ala any hd2+ machine, and while my H78dc3 is vastly better in this area I still see them. Flame suit on

2: I feel the brightness is equivalent, but your eye may "see" the 7700 as brighter due to the elevated black level. I don't feel a 100 IRE field on both units in ECO would prove much different after calibration, but I have no numbers to support this. They both use 250w UHP bulbs and there is no escaping E/I*R so resulting brightness is similar from what I have found.

2.5: Contrast calibrated is ~1400:1 for the 7700 and ~ 2300:1 H78/H79, I thought the 7700 had good black levels until I saw the Optoma, again I think this is why people may find the unit "dim".... it really isn't .... it just has a very low black level that can fool you, once you are used to a higher one.

3: The difference in dithering and noise is no contest, the Optoma has a very smooth almost noise free, refined picture, the 8 seg wheel contributes to a very smooth "green worm" free black. The color saturation difference between them is dramatic as well. The 7700 looks decent, but the Optoma (if not tamed) looks almost wet in the colors. The Optoma has the best saturation I have seen in a digital, but it may be a preference....careful attention must be given here during calibration not to make the picture unrealistic, but the range is there for you if you need it.

4: Optics are not even close, the Optoma has such a better focus ability it allows me to see SD at the same distance and screen size where I saw none on the Mt700...this is a good and bad thing

5: Mt700 was quiet, the Optoma is silent...

6: Creature comforts like lens shift and Motorized Zoom+Focus help install.

Downsides:

Optoma has no presets per input, but memorizes rez/settings by input...not too big of a deal but presets would be nice like the 7700, 3 per input.

No HDMI, the use of a re-pin converter is required

Out of the box the 7700 will render a more accurate picture, the Optoma looks like green fog out of the box....once cal no contest....the finese of the picture is so pleasing.

The remote is a little laggy and cheap in my opinion for a machine of this quality.

Menus on the 7700 were very nice with a very attractive GUI, interface and design. Relocatable popup indicators helped while calibrating.

Menus on the Optoma are cheezy but functional, not more than a days effort for the right coder went into these.

Overall the Optoma is just in a different class. The 7700 and Mt700 were decent but with VAST problems and failures it is dead in the water, and eclipsed in performance by units currently or very shortly shipping.

TJ
post #460 of 1389 Old 12-06-2005, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, TJ. Very helpful. What PJ, if any, were you using before the Mt700 ?
post #461 of 1389 Old 12-06-2005, 02:37 PM

Do you want the a list?

Just prior to the Mt700 I had a xga Nec Lt240k and a Infocus 4805, before that I had a short time with a 8" CRT( big pain in the a$$, wife put her foot down on that one ), before that I had a Davis DLS8, before that it was a Epson LCD, then a XV_S95u Sharp LCD, Sony LCD.....

Started in roughly 97 with this "hobby"

Obsessed? no...

I will say, the Optoma has me doing the least "tweaking" of all the units I have owned...it just looks good....I am close to being (dare I say it? ) Satisfied.....

If you can deal with the setup challenges of the 78, I can't imagine you being any less than thrilled coming the the projector/era of unit you are replacing.

TJ
post #462 of 1389 Old 12-06-2005, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehotaone View Post

Do you want the a list?

I will say, the Optoma has me doing the least "tweaking" of all the units I have owned...it just looks good....I am close to being (dare I say it? ) Satisfied.....

TJ

Just wanted to say I am also very happy with th Optoma H78 being my first fdigital after NEC XG crt.

Funny note: Called a local HT store near Chicago called "The L***** G***" and spoke with "R*****". I was looking for the JVC SRDVD 100U - he had nothing comparable and tried to sell me a $$$$ upscaling player - I said well what about .ts playback and he was at a loss.

Next he asked what my projector was - he went on to say Optomas are not made for home theater and are for computer use...apparently he does not sell them and has not seen the picture quality. Needless to say at this point I hung up - god I hate pushy, salespeople.

The same guy who told me I would not be able to figure out how to use and setup a crt by myself...yea right.

"Thank you" to the forum members who tirelessly help the new members of this fraternity we call Home Theater.
post #463 of 1389 Old 12-07-2005, 04:20 AM

Hi there, I just received my new H78DC3 today and was wondering if there is supposed to be a serial number sticker displayed on the unit itself, or only on the box?

Never ever lose your sense of humour.
post #464 of 1389 Old 12-07-2005, 05:15 AM

yes...it starts with H79****-*****

JK

Not sure...

TJ
post #465 of 1389 Old 12-07-2005, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Due to much heavier pj use....mostly from my kids xbox 360....I was thinking I should probably buy another bulb for my h-78 to at least have a spare and understand the bulbs are said to be the same for the 77/78/79.

Should I buy it from Optoma direct...asking for an H-79 bulb and hope that it offers another hundred lumens....or just get the cheapest one I can find elsewhere?

What say you?
post #466 of 1389 Old 12-07-2005, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz View Post

Due to much heavier pj use....mostly from my kids xbox 360....I was thinking I should probably by another bulb for my h-78 to at least have a spare and understand the bulbs are said to be the same for the 77/78/79.

Should I buy it from Optoma direct...asking for an H-79 bulb and hope that it offers another hundred lumens....or just get the cheapest one I can find elsewhere?

What say you?

That is the very question I have been asking!!!!
post #467 of 1389 Old 12-08-2005, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

My gut feeling is that the replacement bulbs will all be the same. I think they pick the best bulbs to put in the H79 at the factory. I doubt they would do that with replacement bulbs though.
post #468 of 1389 Old 12-08-2005, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch View Post

My gut feeling is that the replacement bulbs will all be the same. I think they pick the best bulbs to put in the H79 at the factory. I doubt they would do that with replacement bulbs though.

I would agree. Best case, your H78DC3 becomes an H79. Worst case, it stays an H78DC3. What sucks if if you are an H79 owner, and become an H78DC3 owner by changing bulbs .

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #469 of 1389 Old 12-08-2005, 10:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Well...I just ordered a backup bulb..should be good to go until the H-81 is sold for 30% off its initial street price with a free extra bulb
post #470 of 1389 Old 12-09-2005, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earz View Post

Well...I just ordered a backup bulb..should be good to go until the H-81 is sold for 30% off its initial street price with a free extra bulb

I was thinking of getting one as well. I checked my hours last night, 263. Not too shabby. Where did you get it?

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #471 of 1389 Old 12-09-2005, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick TX View Post

I was thinking of getting one as well. I checked my hours last night, 263. Not too shabby. Where did you get it?

www.electrified.com
post #472 of 1389 Old 12-09-2005, 10:21 AM
Advanced Member

Hello happy H78 owners. I am planning on joining the team and buying mine this week. My room will be completely light controlled, no windows and the screen I plan on is 120 diag.

What screen did you guys purchase for your H78 with similar conditions?

Anyone get a perf screen and notice loss in picture quality?

My budget is around $1200 for a screen.

I am just trying to find the right match for this projector and I am looking for opinions in that budget.

thanks,

Gary
post #473 of 1389 Old 12-09-2005, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykagan View Post

Hello happy H78 owners. I am planning on joining the team and buying mine this week. My room will be completely light controlled, no windows and the screen I plan on is 120 diag.

I am just trying to find the right match for this projector and I am looking for opinions in that budget.

thanks,

Gary

I use two screens...Optoma Gray Wolf for when the bulb is new.....and a hi power for after 500 hours
The HP kicks the crap out of the el cheapo GW for quality....but the GW is a nice bargain screen when you have enough lumens.

For your screen size...I would either go with a silver star.....or the hi power for long term use.
post #474 of 1389 Old 12-09-2005, 11:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
My H78 frustrated me last night and I can't figure out what I was doing wrong. I just got a Velodyne SMS-1 subwoofer equalizer that outputs the video screens to make adjustments via either S-video or composite video. I couldn't get the H78 to display either of these signals from the SMS-1. I turned off signal lock in the menu and it would say it was searching for composite and S-video, but never displayed anything. Manaully selecting the inputs didn't do the trick either. The signal was there all right and displayed fine on a small TV I finally lugged down to the basement.

Can anyone think why I couldn't get the H78 to display either S-video or composite from the equalizer?

Thanks.

MIKE

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.
--H. L. Mencken
post #475 of 1389 Old 12-09-2005, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykagan View Post

thanks,

Gary

I have an H79 w/ a 118 inch brilliant white carada screen (cost of screen delivered $900) w/ all lights off picture is plasma like, and w rear lights on and front off picture is still very nice. I should say i have a black front wall, carpet and ceiling, and dark red walls, so there is very little light reflection. Also note it takes about 2 weeks to get the carada screen to you, carada is great and they have great customer service, unfortunately DHL is a terrible shipper, but they are the only ones whom will handle that size package for less than a fortune (fed x about $200, dhl about $70)
post #476 of 1389 Old 12-09-2005, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
mraub,

Some menus need a signal to be carried on as thjey don;t generate their own, which is why it has to be via a tv and not a monitor (such as a projector). I have the same withing with my Denon receiver - it has to be via a tv composite dignal from my set top box or the pj won't show it. It was the same on the NEC HT1000.

Gary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmalloc
Who says Cameron is "right" and why do we care about him so much - lol!

I trust Gary Lightfoot more than James Cameron.
post #477 of 1389 Old 12-09-2005, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

I want to be a happy owner. Dave, give me a call.
post #478 of 1389 Old 12-09-2005, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 59
I am trying to find the best place to purchase a H78DC3 as well. I was told to call the guys at AVS, so I did but I haven't heard back from them yet.

Can I get a quote via email from them??

Thanks,
post #479 of 1389 Old 12-09-2005, 03:43 PM

Check Visual Apex it is the best deal right now...I think...they are in the forum sponsor links above...

TJ
post #480 of 1389 Old 12-09-2005, 05:20 PM

try Dave Harper at the top of this page. 1st post on page 16
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page