Happy H79/H78dc3 owners thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1381 of 1389 Old 08-25-2010, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi -

I realize this thread has been dormant for a while, but hopefully some of you H79 owners are still out there.

I have an H79 which I would finally like to have professionally calibrated. I have an OPPO 980H (latest firmware) and a DirecTv HD DVR connected into an OPPO HDMI switch from which I have a cable going into the DVI input. That's the only input I'm using.

I see a number of old posts about the H79 losing calibration settings by defaulting from one setting to another. I realize it has something to do with PC-level RGB v. Video-level RGB, and some posters solved the problem with a Lumagen. I called OPPO to ask about this, and the rep said the OPPO's defaul is video-level (changeable via the Color Space Menu). He also said that he knew that with the H78 at least, some of the inputs were mislabeled, and perhaps that was part of the issue.

I don't fully understand the issue, but basically, I want to know whether I will be able to have the projector calibrated in a way that will "stick" without losing the settings and without having to purchase an expensive new piece of equipment. With all the accumulated experience on this issue, is there now a "best practice" I can tell the calibrator to follow to make sure this works out?

Many thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1389 Old 08-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Scott Horton, techht.com

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Aside from the Video/PC level (bug IMO), the H7x's suck at resyncing. The Lumagen (HDP or above) in the chain makes it so the signal to the PJ is always constant. Same resolution (natiev 720p) same sync rate, etc. So the Lumagen "absorbs" all the electronic drama from varying soruces. And, unlike the Optoma, it does it instantly. Saw one for sale here recently, cheap. Can't recommend it enough for this PJ.
post #1383 of 1389 Old 08-26-2010, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Balkan View Post

Hi -

I realize this thread has been dormant for a while, but hopefully some of you H79 owners are still out there.

I have an H79 which I would finally like to have professionally calibrated. I have an OPPO 980H (latest firmware) and a DirecTv HD DVR connected into an OPPO HDMI switch from which I have a cable going into the DVI input. That's the only input I'm using.

I see a number of old posts about the H79 losing calibration settings by defaulting from one setting to another. I realize it has something to do with PC-level RGB v. Video-level RGB, and some posters solved the problem with a Lumagen. I called OPPO to ask about this, and the rep said the OPPO's defaul is video-level (changeable via the Color Space Menu). He also said that he knew that with the H78 at least, some of the inputs were mislabeled, and perhaps that was part of the issue.

I don't fully understand the issue, but basically, I want to know whether I will be able to have the projector calibrated in a way that will "stick" without losing the settings and without having to purchase an expensive new piece of equipment. With all the accumulated experience on this issue, is there now a "best practice" I can tell the calibrator to follow to make sure this works out?

Many thanks in advance.

It never blanked out the RGB settings. You just have to settle on whether you use video brightness level or PC brightness level. Video is just hitting the DVI button on the remote, PC is after hitting DVI you hit resync on the remote. I would just tune up my basic blaces/whites, colors with Avia or DVE in video level brightness the straight DVI button on the remote.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #1384 of 1389 Old 08-27-2010, 06:21 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 739
If you are the original owner of this projector and bought a bulb in the first 36 months you may be eligible for reimbursement:

http://www.projectorsettlement.com/

Now if I could just get reimbursement for the other four I bought.
post #1385 of 1389 Old 01-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Did anyone take advantage of the lamp lawsuit and actually get a new lamp?

Does this result mean that the lamps were at fault or the projector?
post #1386 of 1389 Old 01-19-2011, 05:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 335
No. I got a new projector instead............

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #1387 of 1389 Old 01-24-2011, 08:07 AM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

The due date has expired for submission of claims. You needed to submit a copy of proof of purchase of both the projector and the replacement lamp. The replacement had to have been during the first 3 years of ownership.

I received a compensation check for $399 last week. It brings a smile to my face until I realize that today you can buy a sub $999 projector that performs as well as the Optoma H79 which sold street (AVS) +$6000 in the initial release.
post #1388 of 1389 Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC View Post

The submission due date has expired for submission of claims. You needed to submit a copy of proof of purchase of both the projector and the replacement lamp. The replacement had to have been during the first 3 years of ownership.

I received a compensation check for $399 last week. It brings a smile to my face until I realize that today you can buy a sub $999 projector that performs as well as the Optoma H79 which sold street (AVS) +$6000 in the initial release.

It's good you got something back, and almost 1/2 the price of a new projector, not bad -

Was the basis of the lawsuit that the H79 was defective or the lamps supplied were defective?
post #1389 of 1389 Old 01-24-2011, 09:56 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

From memory the estimated bulb life in the marketing blurb was 3000 hours. There was an AVSforum survey of the actual experiences and only a few owners got the bulb to go past 1000 hours. Personally 750 was about my limit based on the 5 bulbs I went through while I had the projector in use.

My "feeling" was that the projector pushed the bulb to it's limits. They pumped up the most brightness they could get and kept the fans quiet which meant that it ran hot. There was a thread with an add-on fan modification which a number of guys tried.

The actual Phillips bulb was used in other projectors not just the Optoma H77, 78 and 79 series.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page