Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1389 Old 08-27-2005, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Greetings,
I happened to notice lately a ton of new owners in the screens area, DVD players area, here ofcourse stating they're using one of these two projectors. How many happy owners do we have out there?

Me I love the machine it excells in many area's over my past projectors. The only time I may upgrade is a 1080p machine but I'll tell you, I was at a store this week looking at the 1080p Samsungs and didn't notice any difference between them and the last years models sitting right next to them. Maybe things will be different with super large screens, maybe.

Anyway still more tha happy right now with the H79.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1389 Old 08-27-2005, 12:28 PM
HOME THEATER CONTRACTOR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Put me down in the happy 79 column. I still haven't got the hang of calibrating the thing with the Avia/DE disks because I'm still working on other things.
post #3 of 1389 Old 08-27-2005, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Practice makes perfect with the Avia guide to home theater. I've used the thing so many times it's become my right hand man. Anything new that DVD is the first thing I use.

First thing I do is go to the main menu / Video Test Patterns, Grayscales & Levels, Black & White Levels, at the top there's Contrast/Whites top left, Brightnees/blacks top right collum. Use these both till the lighter moving bar just disappears then a click back till it re-appears, bounce back and forth between them a few time because they effect each other.

From there I'll back out to the main menu and use the Basic Patterns to tune Color, Tint, Sharpness if available. That's it.

With the H79/H78 you first start out by setting Image to TV and Colortemp 2. In the Picture menu choose Cinema and Gamma 1.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #4 of 1389 Old 08-27-2005, 02:31 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman View Post

I was at a store this week looking at the 1080p Samsungs and didn't notice any difference between them and the last years models sitting right next to them

That is interesting. I had the opposite experience at Magnolia. 1080p Samsung RP with a last year's 720p wobulated right next to it on one side and Mitsubishi conventional 720p DLP RP right next to it on the other side. The 1080p was noticeably sharper, and, just as noticable, had better contrast (deeper blacks, more saturated colors, etc). This could well come down to set-up because, I can assure you, the differences were not subtle. So much so that I am wondering if it is worth holding out for wobulated 1080p in FP. I think that would swamp differnces between, say DC2 & DC3 HD2+.

This was all on HD feed. Perhaps that brought out the differences more ?

The main thing I didn't like about the Samsung 1080p was there was a distracting fixed grain/sheen pattern on the screen.

Brent
post #5 of 1389 Old 08-27-2005, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

They had a baseball game going, also at a Magonlia. I mainly looked at the 1080p shelf model then over to last years Kirk model. Couldn't see what the big difference was, both showing HD also. Probably on a 120" screen is where you could see something. Though Alan said he didn't see such a huge difference between his 1080p projector and 720p models.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #6 of 1389 Old 08-31-2005, 06:41 AM
AVS Special Member

I am even more happy than I was at the beginning! My HT was finally finished a couple of days ago. I had UMR from AccuCal thow down an ISF calibration on my H78 last night. The results are nothing short of spectacular. This PJ has got some major CR as well, measured at 2314 pre-calibration. The gamma needed the most work, it was a bit off. It looks unfreakingbelievable at this point. I'm using a 118" Screen Innovations 1.3 Theater Reference screen. Sources are a Pioneer DV-59AVI, Panasonic DVD-S97, Dish DVR-942, & Xbox. Big props to UMR & Optoma, highly recommended !

AccuCal

"I promise I'll never die." - Gary Johnston
post #7 of 1389 Old 08-31-2005, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:

They had a baseball game going, also at a Magonlia. I mainly looked at the 1080p shelf model then over to last years Kirk model. Couldn't see what the big difference was, both showing HD also. Probably on a 120" screen is where you could see something. Though Alan said he didn't see such a huge difference between his 1080p projector and 720p models.

This all comes down to source, processing, and display calibration.

A long time ago I had an SX21 with anamorphic lens and HD Leeza for true 1080i deinterlacing--not the bob garbage provided by most displays. With Comcast HD cable, the SX21 easily wiped the floor in terms of raw detail and clarity compared to every 720p DLP I've owned to date, including the 12K (whose 1080i deinterlacing was excellent) and the H79 (whose 1080i deinterlacing is acceptable, but still of the bob variety). And the SX21 is only 1400x1050.

I respect Alan's opinion, but I don't think the sources and processing he employs in his comparisons are up to snuff. He needs to get an HD Leeza in the mix for 1080i demos. It sucks for SD processing but its HD processing is quite good. The DragonFly should also provide proper 1080i processing.

The bottom line for me is that I still see jagged edges and other evidence of pixel structure on 720p displays. Such sightings on the SX21 were few and far between. Even DVDs look more detailed when scaled to higher resolutions. Count me as one of those who's eager for 1080p front projection.

And to keep my post on-topic, I also enjoy my H79. Great projector for the money
post #8 of 1389 Old 08-31-2005, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

That sound hopeful, maybe we'll hear something soon. Optoma's new scaler sounds like a winner if the price is right.

Hey Patrick that's allot of items hooked up, how many signals did you get tuned? Interesting the H78 was at the 2300.1 range you know the H79 gets a little higher than that. Did you get a higher CR after the tuning?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #9 of 1389 Old 08-31-2005, 11:54 AM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick TX View Post

I am even more happy than I was at the beginning! My HT was finally finished a couple of days ago. I had UMR from AccuCal thow down an ISF calibration on my H78 last night. The results are nothing short of spectacular. This PJ has got some major CR as well, measured at 2314 pre-calibration. The gamma needed the most work, it was a bit off. It looks unfreakingbelievable at this point. I'm using a 118" Screen Innovations 1.3 Theater Reference screen. Sources are a Pioneer DV-59AVI, Panasonic DVD-S97, Dish DVR-942, & Xbox. Big props to UMR & Optoma, highly recommended !

AccuCal

Thanks for the positive comments.

Patrick's setup is VERY nice and that projector calibrated out extremely well. The H78 appears to be a great value.
post #10 of 1389 Old 08-31-2005, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

umr, what lumens level did you read with the Accupel?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #11 of 1389 Old 08-31-2005, 01:43 PM
umr
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
The AccuPel cannot measure anything. I also did not take measurements with the idea of calculating lumens exactly.
post #12 of 1389 Old 08-31-2005, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Greg Rodgers confused me then. He always states the Accupel was used for measuring CR,Lumens etc. He must be using a light meter but never mentions which one.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #13 of 1389 Old 08-31-2005, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I had several friends over who had seen my previous projector but not the H79 and all immediately commented spontaneously on the clear difference, in favor of the H79. They used words like "deeper," "brighter," "clearer." The novice viewers kept wanting to attribute the picture to the screen but it was the same High Power as always. The source, HD Spiderman 2 from my Dish 942, undoubtedly played a role in those perceptions.

The bulb now has about 400 hours on it and the reds are seemingly tamer. Given my 116" wide image I find the brightness just becoming ideal now as the bulb dims. Although I'm sure an objective measure of CR would not show a significant change but, perhaps due to the better black level, subjectively the image now looks deeper than when the bulb was brighter. Probably, given my sources, the High Power resulted in a too-bright when the bulb was new.

Regarding calibration, I'm due for another one now that the bulb has settled down in terms of color shifting. After going through about a couple of dozen calibrations with ColorFacts with my previous pj and maybe six with a Progressive setup with the H79 I feel I can "eyeball" it with the advanced adjustments and get what looks like a good grayscale. I'm always curious how far off I am when Kevin Anderson comes over to do the real ISF thing.

Still, occasionally I see pixels at 1.5 x and a 1080p pj will be next, but the H79 will do very nicely for the next year or two.

Dan
post #14 of 1389 Old 08-31-2005, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 189
I am still absolutely thrilled with my H79 - especially watching 2.35:1 movies on my 2.35:1 screen !! In fact, we're having neighbors over for a movie night tonite ( Wed. nights are movie nights at our house )!! I've stopped even thinking about upgrades and having to buy stuff for my home theater thanks to the H79 - I'm just enjoying having people over to watch movies with us ( one neighbor said " the picture is so clear - I can't watch movies on my tiny 50" big screen tv anymore now" - HA )!!!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #15 of 1389 Old 08-31-2005, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Craig, the SDI moded Matsushita chipped players do look very clean and clear, like the one you have. The first guy to send me a PJ to tune sent an SDI moded S97. I was amazed at how clear and sharp the Fifth Element looked.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #16 of 1389 Old 08-31-2005, 10:04 PM

Well, I have a bone to pick with Optoma regarding their customer service and marketing methods but since this is a "happy" thread...every time I fire up the H79 I am nothing short of ecstatic. Someone did something right designing this thing (at least from a PQ point of view). The last thing I feel I should I should be is reward Optoma (the corporation) with a nod of approval but the H79 is truly a great HT projector!

BTW, I am running it with a Sony DVP-NC555ES player over component and I can't say enough good things about this player-built like a tank, very underrated IMHO. I also tried the Oppo over DVI mainly for PAL (excellent picture but couldn't live with the lip-sync issues).
post #17 of 1389 Old 08-31-2005, 10:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

I cleared the lip sync with the Oppo at 50ms. The Pany s97 also had lip synce delay but fixable with the ms/adjustments. So far looks like I prefer the Oppo.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
post #18 of 1389 Old 08-31-2005, 11:00 PM

My H78DC3 is my third projector. Very happy with it since IFS calibrated and color filtered. Linked to a Snazzi 1350 the picture with HD material is superb. I'll try to keep this puppy for at least a year.
Since I have sold my screen last week I still need a replacement for that. I've seen some Firehawk samples and it looked fantastic. So now I try to find an alternative for this rather expensive Stewart material
post #19 of 1389 Old 08-31-2005, 11:44 PM
Advanced Member

I just hooked my new H78 up tonight to an Expressvu 9200 receiver. I was projecting an approx 60" image on a toupe wall. All I can say is wow. Even with those much less than stellar conditions you can see the pop that this thing delivers. I'm now just waiting on my screen to really see how this baby performs. It sure is a huge step up from my old Panny 300. Screen will be a 128" 2.35:1 Carada Brilliant white with a Prismasonic H600 lens which just came yesterday.

Only problem is the DVI connection. No matter what I've tried I can't get anything over the HDMI to DVI cable that came with the 9200. Not even sparklies. Zip Nada. I've tried all I can think of. I'll be getting the Pioneer 74 receiver and 59 DVD player so it will be interesting to see if I can get the DVI input to work with these. I'll have to check the 9200 (dish 942) to see if there are any HDMI output issues with these
post #20 of 1389 Old 09-01-2005, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch View Post

Only problem is the DVI connection. No matter what I've tried I can't get anything over the HDMI to DVI cable that came with the 9200. Not even sparklies. Zip Nada. I've tried all I can think of. I'll be getting the Pioneer 74 receiver and 59 DVD player so it will be interesting to see if I can get the DVI input to work with these. I'll have to check the 9200 (dish 942) to see if there are any HDMI output issues with these

You are not alone, there are issues at the moment. I am having HDMI problems with my Arcam AVP700 processor, the H78, & my 942. I am able to display HDMI fine with a 59AVi, S97, and the 942. The problem is switching back to the 942. It disappears. I have to do a hard reboot on the 942 (not fun). I'm working with Arcam at the moment to see what the problem is exactly. I'll let you know.

post #21 of 1389 Old 09-01-2005, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Have you ever had the 942 hooked up directly to the pj? If so were you able to get a picture. Also have you used the supplied cable? Since I have absolutely no signal on various attempts, it makes me wonder if there is a defect somewhere. When I get more equipment, I can hopefully narrow it down.
post #22 of 1389 Old 09-01-2005, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrigavitch View Post

Have you ever had the 942 hooked up directly to the pj? If so were you able to get a picture. Also have you used the supplied cable? Since I have absolutely no signal on various attempts, it makes me wonder if there is a defect somewhere. When I get more equipment, I can hopefully narrow it down.

Happily, I have had my 942 connected via DVI to my H79. I can't say it's a direct connection, though--it's through a D-Tronics 4x1 DVI switcher.

But here's another switcher curiosity: If I turn my Oppo DVD player off while I am watching my 942, the picture suddenly goes black. Powering the Oppo back up while still inputting the 942 results in the picture then coming back.

Gobrigavitch, have you tried all possible ways to connect to the H79 from the 942?

Dan
post #23 of 1389 Old 09-01-2005, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

I was able to go directly to the PJ with my own cable, as the little one that comes with the 942 is about 25' too short I have no problem with the direct connect method, only switching through the prepro. I am waiting for UPS to drop me some new HDMI cables any minute. I'll run some tests.

post #24 of 1389 Old 09-01-2005, 10:49 AM

It's been a while since I've posted as I've been enjoying my HT after having planned it for years. Got an H79 and have only done some minor tweaking with Avia, but it's spectacular. Just wish there were some better movies out lately to take advantage.

Right now I've got the H79 hooked to a Gefen HDMI switcher, HDTV via Charter Cable, Panny S97, Denon 3805, 7.1 surround with Def Tech speakers (including a Supercube I), DaLite CV 110", MX-600 URC remote, remote lighting with an X-10 compatible switch, and 8 electric recline Berkline 090s.

I won't plan on upgrading for quite some time. Back row of the Berks are at about 16' from the screen and front row is about 10'. In the front row you can see a little pixelation if you look for it. But the front row is for guests usually, and all they can say when they're over is, "WOW!".

Just finished the tiny alcove lobby last night. Had it painted a rust color and have a small area with a popcorn popper, custom made HT sign, and a Star Wars Episode IV poster.
post #25 of 1389 Old 09-01-2005, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:

Craig, the SDI moded Matsushita chipped players do look very clean and clear, like the one you have. The first guy to send me a PJ to tune sent an SDI moded S97. I was amazed at how clear and sharp the Fifth Element looked.

The Fifth Element looks so good it rivals HD almost, in many scenes. I have not found DVI to really be better than component with my system either. The old RP56 keeps putting out a great picture with the SDI mod and the iScan HD! Plus, I have an extra RP56 in storage for when mine dies. The whole combination with the H79 is pretty stunning!!

And to think I learned about and bought all this stuff right here at AVS - thanks Jason, Alan and the gang ( my wife won't thank you for the enormous credit card bills, but they are just about paid off - so what the heck! )!!!

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #26 of 1389 Old 09-01-2005, 09:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Speaking of DVD looking like HD. After UMR finished his calibration of my H78DC3, we spun a few DVD's to get a little taste. The DVD's were Charlotte Gray, SW Episode II, Moulin Rouge, and lastly Sin City. OMG! Sin Sity was the most amazing looking thing I have ever seen on an FP setup. This disk really shows what these PJ's are capable of. My eyes were watering it looked so good. This disk is a MUST OWN.

post #27 of 1389 Old 09-01-2005, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drapp1952 View Post

Happily, I have had my 942 connected via DVI to my H79. I can't say it's a direct connection, though--it's through a D-Tronics 4x1 DVI switcher.

But here's another switcher curiosity: If I turn my Oppo DVD player off while I am watching my 942, the picture suddenly goes black. Powering the Oppo back up while still inputting the 942 results in the picture then coming back.

Gobrigavitch, have you tried all possible ways to connect to the H79 from the 942?

Dan

Good to hear you had it working well. I guess I have a defect somewhere then. I tried using the 6 or 8 foot HDMI to DVI cable supplied with the sat receiver with no luck. I just received a 15 ft HDMI cable and a HDMI to DVI adaptor, so I'll give that a try. If it's still no go then I'll have to wait for my DVD player to narrow down the problem.
post #28 of 1389 Old 09-02-2005, 07:11 AM

Quote:

I cleared the lip sync with the Oppo at 50ms. The Pany s97 also had lip synce delay but fixable with the ms/adjustments. So far looks like I prefer the Oppo.

Guitarman,
Although I haven't really noticed to much of a problem with lip sync on my Oppo/H77 in the first 100 hours of use last night I watched Erin Brockovich (spelling??) and the lip sync was bad. I went up to 50ms delay and still was not enough. This movie was in a native 16:9 format. Do you think the native format had any influence on this problem? This movie has a lot of talking and close ups of it so it was easy (obvious) to see. Oppo really needs to offer more options like up to maybe 100ms..
post #29 of 1389 Old 09-02-2005, 07:12 AM

I am looking to upgrade my Sony 12HT LCD unit (needs repaired and a new $500 bulb) This would be my 3rd projector, so I plan to keep this unit for about 2 to 3 yrs or until the 1080p units come down to a reasonable price. I looking at a budget of about 3500 to 4k max. Having only experience with LCD projectors I am leaning that way as I am unable to DEMO any quality DLP projectors. However after reading all of the excellent reviews of the H79 and now the new H78DC3 units I am now confused on what way to go. Right now my set up is using my top of the line Sony DVD player component out (cost 1k 2 yrs ago).

I am looking at the Sony HS51 unit with a new iscan HD+ and staying with the currrent Sony DVD player with component out. Cost of abt 3.5k. Or for a grand more do I go with the H78DC3 unit and a new DVD dvi player and new dvi cable with no iscan?

I dont mind going up to $4500 if it will be a lot better picture. Not seeing a DLP projector in person makes it really hard. I have to go on peoples comments in this forum and that means a lot. That is how I ended up purchasing my 1st projector the 10HT 4 yrs ago>

HELP
post #30 of 1389 Old 09-02-2005, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Put me in the happy H79 camp. I'm glad that football is back on Looks stunning. SJ
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page