Optoma HD81 1080p DLP official discussion - Page 161 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4801 of 4812 Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, thanks. When it arrives I'll give it a tap like it says above and see what happens. It alegedley was dropped on the floor and stopped working. I had an 81LV in the past and regret selling it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4802 of 4812 Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 PM
Advanced Member

Art, I'm with you, I still haven't seen an LCOS three panel that does it for me, except for the very good CR. I hope you get a chance to see a Runco LS-3 or LS-5 single chip DLP projector. I am absolutely delighted with my LS-3 and short throw lens. It is a more sophisticated image than the HD81-LV, fantastic color, much better CR due to auto iris/bulb control, no RBE compared to the Optoma, great scaling, no banding, good lumens. Most film like image I've seen at the price point. Bought it in June and it has not had any issues whatsoever, unlike the O brand. Optoma service took good care of me, but the products were lemons. I must have gone through over a dozen HD-81/HD81-LV/HD80 units, some serial numbers kept coming back to the refurb pool and to my home theater, with the same issues I returned them for in the first place. The only artifact I've seen with the Runco is occasional flicker due to the AI on flat fields--very subtle and the AI does have a slight effect on color, but even when off, the CR is pretty good.

If you don't want to spend for a new Runco, hunt down a used Planar 8150 or 8130, same projector as the Runco LS-5, LS-3, except for a different scaler. I'm just sorry I didn't dump the O projectors sooner. I am over the moon with the image the LS-3 is giving me! I often watch raw footage of projects I have shot with high end video cameras and the image is very similar to the calibrated broadcast HD monitors I use on set, except with a more subtle, film like quality. Every year I look at the newest JVC model and every year I'm happy that I stayed with single chip DLP, but only the larger DMD size. The .65 is softer, like the LCOS projectors.
post #4803 of 4812 Old 04-03-2013, 12:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubbedougan View Post

Ok, thanks. When it arrives I'll give it a tap like it says above and see what happens. It alegedley was dropped on the floor and stopped working. I had an 81LV in the past and regret selling it.

You can try connecting the HDMI directly to the projector and the VXD just to the serial port. The VXD can fail in different ways - mine stopped passing video but the controls for powering on and such still worked.

Failing that, if you have a linux computer I can give you some software that I wrote which will allow you to power the projector on and off via the computer's serial port (I use a USB to rs-232 converter). If you find that you could use it, send me a PM because I may not notice a post in this particular thread.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #4804 of 4812 Old 04-03-2013, 12:58 AM

Excellent. Thanks Jerry.
post #4805 of 4812 Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
If the VXD will not start, Jerry's method will not work. I hope the Linux program works for you.

Art Neill
a.k.a.
Mr. HiFi
post #4806 of 4812 Old 04-03-2013, 01:30 PM

Got it today, looks like its been in a car crash. Lid was tight, don't think it has ever been opened. Clean inside. No cables. Is it a standard rs-232 null modem cable I need ?
post #4807 of 4812 Old 04-03-2013, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I am using the cable that came with it, but I experimented with it a couple of years ago and I think it is a null modem. Not anywhere near 100% confident though.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #4808 of 4812 Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 AM

The label on the base says 'HD81 DLP Projection Display' nothing about LV. Is it an LV model then?
post #4809 of 4812 Old 04-07-2013, 06:56 AM

Does the label/plate on the base of an HD81LV say HD81LV or just HD81?
post #4810 of 4812 Old 06-18-2013, 05:34 AM

right,Thanks for all the great info - keep it coming! lJNb
post #4811 of 4812 Old 12-31-2013, 04:44 PM

Liked: 11
Sorry to bump such an old thread but I was able to fix my HDMI problem (none of the HDMI ports worked) by using an EDID cheater . I connected the cheater straight to the projector and used the clone feature, then I installed the cheater between the "to receiver" and "from receiver" ports where the short HDMI cable goes. I guess the part of the projector that outputs EDID died.
CriticalListener likes this.
post #4812 of 4812 Old 07-23-2014, 05:38 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryW View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by clubbedougan 

You can try connecting the HDMI directly to the projector and the VXD just to the serial port. The VXD can fail in different ways - mine stopped passing video but the controls for powering on and such still worked.

Failing that, if you have a linux computer I can give you some software that I wrote which will allow you to power the projector on and off via the computer's serial port (I use a USB to rs-232 converter). If you find that you could use it, send me a PM because I may not notice a post in this particular thread.
Hi there. I am wondering if you could help me. I have an optoma hd81, but I dropped the controller box and now it won't communicate with the projector so can't turn my projector on. Do you still have that program for Linux or better option, do you know how I can turn the projector on through windows?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma , Vivitek D950hd 3000 Lumen 1080p Office And Home Theater Projector , Casio Rs 232 Adapter Catalog Category Projectors Accessories
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page