The official Ruby Calibration Q/A Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 615 Old 01-23-2007, 03:35 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 111
It should have worked. It did for me recently when I changed my lamp. I would try it again. If not I bet in the service menu you can change it back to zero...

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 615 Old 01-23-2007, 04:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just wondering for the folks that are changing lamps on the Ruby, how many hours are you guys getting out of the lamps. My Ruby is 8 months old and I have logged about 460 hours on the original lamp.
post #453 of 615 Old 01-23-2007, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by imws View Post

Just wondering for the folks that are changing lamps on the Ruby, how many hours are you guys getting out of the lamps. My Ruby is 8 months old and I have logged about 460 hours on the original lamp.

When I sold my Ruby a couple months ago I had about 525 hours on it and it was down to about 175 lumens IIRC. This was about 7.5ftL. Although this number sounds very low, I was surprised to see how bright 7.5ftL actually was in my HT.

If I was going to hold onto the unit I likely would have needed to replace the bulb in another 100-200 hours. So in summary for my tastes I'd say about 800 hours would be as far as I'd likely would have taken one bulb.

Of course each person mileage will vary depending on their tastes for desired ftL.
post #454 of 615 Old 01-23-2007, 10:56 PM
cek

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

It should have worked. It did for me recently when I changed my lamp. I would try it again. If not I bet in the service menu you can change it back to zero...

If you can set it to zero in the service menu, I can't find it.

Anyone else?
post #455 of 615 Old 01-25-2007, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have over 1250 hours on my Ruby. The image on my 92 in. diagonal Studiotek 1.30 screen is bright and sharp. I am hardly aware of any dimming of the projector since the bulb was new. I am sure that it is dimmer, but it is just not noticeable. I still do my casual watching with a 50 watt lamp on in the rear of the home theater. For serious viewing of DVD's including Blu-ray and HD-DVD's, I turn off the lamp in the rear of the room. My Ruby has never failed once to start and has performed flawlessly in every respect since it was installed nearly one year ago. I could not be more pleased.

Tom
post #456 of 615 Old 01-25-2007, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Has anyone tried finding/using the bare PE bulbs? The replacements for the JVC xenon bulbs were brighter, ran longer, and were 40% cheaper.

post #457 of 615 Old 01-26-2007, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomWheeler View Post

I have over 1250 hours on my Ruby. The image on my 92 in. diagonal Studiotek 1.30 screen is bright and sharp. I am hardly aware of any dimming of the projector since the bulb was new. I am sure that it is dimmer, but it is just not noticeable. I still do my casual watching with a 50 watt lamp on in the rear of the home theater. For serious viewing of DVD's including Blu-ray and HD-DVD's, I turn off the lamp in the rear of the room. My Ruby has never failed once to start and has performed flawlessly in every respect since it was installed nearly one year ago. I could not be more pleased.

Tom

In the past 9 months I've put 1360 hours on the original bulb and am still enjoying it. I installed a Blu-Ray player this week and the picture is awesome. Yes, the projector has slowly put out less light, but I'm near the minimum distance for projecting on a 72-inch screen and at my 10-foot seating position, enjoy a 30-degree field of view and apparently long life to the slowly dimming bulb. A spare bulb sits in the closet awaiting the day things go bad.
post #458 of 615 Old 01-27-2007, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
David,

I am in a very similar situation to you. My Ruby is mounted within 2-3 in. of the minium throw distance. I have a new spare bulb waiting in the closet, but I hope that it is some time before I need it. I will have had my Ruby a year the end of this coming February. I just installed a Toshiba HD-A2 HD-DVD player and a Sony BDP-S1 Blu-ray player in my system using the HDMI output to get the signal to my Pioneer 74TXi A/V receiver and then up to my Ruby's HDMI input. All of this has worked flawlessly. Not a single freeze or other problems with either HD player and a truly splendid picture on my 92 in. diagonal screen. We watched Mutiny on the Bounty last night on the HD-A2 and it was incredibly sharp and brilliant. Love this projector!

Tom
post #459 of 615 Old 01-28-2007, 04:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yes, I still am in love with mine! I have plenty of people planning to come over for the Superbowl and with it being a Windy versus Indy game I may have to hire security!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #460 of 615 Old 02-05-2007, 11:24 AM

How do you enter the service menu on the ruby?
Regards WRONG
post #461 of 615 Old 03-10-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

The Ruby has been down since late July 2006 for a complete home theater make-over, (I'm doing it all myself). When it came down it had about 675 hours on it. Being a newbie in this glorious hobby, I grew into the knowledge that convergence was/is an issue with the Ruby and took the opportunity during it's downtime to send it to Sony for a convergence check and adjustment, which I thought was necessary based upon observed characteristics and comparison to other Rubys. I also thought I saw an artifact Inside the lens structure, this was from day one, but it didn't seem to affect the picture. Regardless, I thought I would mention this in the trouble list as well. My dealer footed the cost of shipping, (God Bless em).

Well it's back. The theater Still isn't done but I have seven days to test the projector, which I'll have to find a way to do. It's what was written on the ticket that interests me and which I have not been able to find mentioned anywhere on the web; Hard Start Mod Kit H600, (A1206459A). Anybody know what this is?

Oh, the lamp was replaced free of charge and no lens artifact was found. When the tech called, he said he had adjusted the convergence to below spec but did not mention the Hard Start Mod Kit. I only found out about it when I read the enclosed service ticket.

mark

Life's a Beach,
or at least it was supposed to be.

post #462 of 615 Old 03-11-2007, 05:47 AM
AVS Club Gold

Of course this is speculation but maybe they have improved the start up parts on the Ruby.

post #463 of 615 Old 03-11-2007, 05:53 AM
AVS Special Member

There have been quite a few of us that experienced trouble with the lamp starting and then failure of the power supply start mechanism. I agree with joerod that Sony has probably upgraded the start up section and is providing it as preventative maintenance.
post #464 of 615 Old 03-12-2007, 03:35 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Thks for the info Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmw View Post

When the tech called, he said he had adjusted the convergence to below spec . .

I'd be very interested to know exactly what their procedure is for that. Whom can we bribe?
post #465 of 615 Old 03-17-2007, 07:11 PM

i have been reading all of these posts and this may not be the place for it, but i wanted ot ask all of you ruby owners. I have the option to buy a ruby preowned (i assume the warranty conveys) for $4000 but the rs1 has gotten such good press. any thoughts?
total light controlled room.
studiotek 130 screen (122 inch diag)
dvdo vp30 feeding projector.

Dipak Panigrahi, MD
post #466 of 615 Old 03-17-2007, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipakP View Post

this may not be the place for it

Correct. Please help keep this thread focused strictly on calibration. The RS1 vs Ruby has been covered in a number of the RS1 threads and if you search I think there is also a thread about RS1 vs Pearl (which would apply almost the same to Ruby) and even RS1 vs Ruby already. Lots of good info there for your initial research plus a better captured audience for your questions.
post #467 of 615 Old 03-18-2007, 05:14 PM

Hey Dipac. I would take the Ruby for $4000. Mine has 550 hrs and is doing great on a Studiotek130. I have a HTPC and recently set up HDXA2 HDDVD. You won"t be disappointed I'm sure.
post #468 of 615 Old 03-18-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

It is a bargain at 4,000! I still am very happy with it and can't wait to use DVE HD DVD to help me calibrate it even better. That is if it ever comes out.

post #469 of 615 Old 03-19-2007, 12:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

I have a Ruby with approx 700Hrs on it. It is still adequate for me but I am planning to host a special event and want to put in a new bulb as part of the event will involve a calibration exersize and I would prefer to use a bulb with approx 100hrs.

Is it possible to change the bulb to a new one without destroying the old one? Will the old one be usable for a spare at some future date?

any advice would be very appreciated.........

Peter
post #470 of 615 Old 03-19-2007, 12:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

That's exactly my gameplan. I put 750 hours on my factory lamp then took it out and placed a new one in. That way when I blow the second lamp (or it just casually dims) I will have a spare to put in while I get another new one. I had to wait almost a month just to get my new one. I can't imagine having a lamp go out and having to wait a month for a replacement. I prefer the spare plan!

post #471 of 615 Old 03-19-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

That's exactly my gameplan. I put 750 hours on my factory lamp then took it out and placed a new one in. That way when I blow the second lamp (or it just casually dims) I will have a spare to put in while I get another new one. I had to wait almost a month just to get my new one. I can't imagine having a lamp go out and having to wait a month for a replacement. I prefer the spare plan!

Thank you very very much for that.........I will proceed to get the replacement.

1. Was the swap difficult?

2. I assume that the use of the old 'spare' would not recalibrate the "hours" correctly on re-insertion so some math might be required?

Peter
post #472 of 615 Old 03-19-2007, 12:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

It was very easy to replace. Just make sure you have a longer shaft screwdriver.

post #473 of 615 Old 09-22-2007, 09:44 PM
cek

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

There have been quite a few of us that experienced trouble with the lamp starting and then failure of the power supply start mechanism. I agree with joerod that Sony has probably upgraded the start up section and is providing it as preventative maintenance.

I may be experiencing this. here's my symptoms:

Occssionally when I turn the projector instead of one "pop" and the bulb turns on I get "pop" "pop" "pop" and nothing happens. Then about 4-5 seconds later it trys again.

This normally seems to happen after the projector has been on for a while and then turned off and turned back on soon after. Leaving it off for a few hours allows it to start normally.

Tonight when I tried to turn it on (it was off since yesterday) it did this and it still won't start.

The current bulb has about 700 hours on it and the status does NOT indicate that the bulb has failed.

I guess I should take it in for service, eh?

-cek
post #474 of 615 Old 09-23-2007, 01:53 AM
AVS Club Gold

I would at least unplug it first then try it again...

post #475 of 615 Old 09-23-2007, 04:52 AM
AVS Special Member

I suspect that a trip to Laredo is in your Ruby's future. Hopefully it will go smoother than my experience. Good luck....
post #476 of 615 Old 09-23-2007, 07:38 AM
AVS Club Gold

Hopefully things have improved some...

post #477 of 615 Old 09-23-2007, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

I have hthis problem and am sending my Ruby in tomorrow. I talked to an engineer there and it is either the ballast or the lamp or both. We start watching whatever on a 20" flat panel I have in the theater. I keep the remote in hand and let the pj do it's click, click, click thing. Once the amber light goes solid I press the power button for the pj on the remote and it starts the click, click, click start up process again. it eventually fires up. Sometimes it takes 5 minutes and sometimes 30. Pain in the a$$. Once I get the projector fired up I turn off the flat panel.

-kraig
post #478 of 615 Old 09-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nine ball View Post

I have a Ruby with approx 700Hrs on it. It is still adequate for me but I am planning to host a special event and want to put in a new bulb as part of the event will involve a calibration exersize and I would prefer to use a bulb with approx 100hrs.

Is it possible to change the bulb to a new one without destroying the old one? Will the old one be usable for a spare at some future date?

any advice would be very appreciated.........

Peter

Yes, just don't follow the instruction on the manual, don't let the xenon
gas out, I changed my bulb @ 360hs a while ago my current bulb has about 950hs and to be honest I don't see any difference yet.
post #479 of 615 Old 09-26-2007, 04:50 PM
AVS Club Gold

Same here. I took out my first lamp at around 750. I decided to use it ias a full time spare. I now have 850 on the current one. When this one goes I will go back to the original and use it until I get a new one. The first one will always be my spare. Just remember, don't let the gas out!

post #480 of 615 Old 09-28-2007, 04:58 AM
AVS Special Member

jkmw,

Thanks for the info. Question - how long did it take to get your pj back once it was received at Laredo? Mine landed there yesterday. I'm eager to say the least. Also did they pay shipping back to you? Not cheap to send these monsters around the country.

I talked to an engineer at Laredo a while back and while he didn't mention the hard start kit by name he did say that it was standard practice to replace both when this problem occurs, I think it is what has been referred to here in the forums as the ballast which would be the high voltage starting device for these Xenon lamps if I'm not mistaken.

Did Sony monkey with your settings? Firmware?

thanks,

-kraig
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw100 Lcd Projector
Gear in this thread - Vw100 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page