post #272 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 03:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz View Post

Overall, is the picture much improved after cal (I know, loaded question for a calibrator).

See this post: Post #211

As far as the improvement and perceived value of the calibration, maybe BradH can chime in.

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc.
Indianapolis, IN

Photo Research PR-655 spectroradiometer equipped
post #273 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 04:28 PM

I know a lot has been said about the Studio Tec and other Stewart screens.

I'm wondering for the more budget concious, which of the Carada screens should someone be thinking about for a 22'x14' light controlled room with seating in the 12'-14' range for a 92" screen? On one hand I would think the BW would help with brightness, but on the other hand the High Contrast Grey may help with th eblack leves, although the gain is a bit low. Any suggestions? Any ideas what would be appropriate from Saria (sp?)? A high contrast grey w/1.3 gain from Severtson might be appropriate, but I thought those screens were aproaching the cost of a Stewart screen.

Any advice would be appreciated.
post #274 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Let me start by saying that I have known Ken for about 12 years now. The first thing he ever calibrated for me was my 31 Mitz tube T.V. I was absolutely amazed by the difference in picture quality. Since then he has calibrated every display device I have ever owned, ranging from that tube to my Runco 930. It is the Runco that I replaced with the Samsung. I have always been impressed with the difference in over-all picture quality caused by calibration. The Samsung is no exception.

I will say that this projector looked better out of the box than any other device I have seen. That lead me to question whether or not calibration was necessary, but as it turns out, it was. Coming from a CRT, I did not expect black levels to be very good on a DLP. I also did not expect the colors to look as natural as they did on my 930. I was very pleasantly surprised by both. The post calibration picture left me certain that I had made the right choice with this purchase. Black levels were very close to what I was used to, especially with the Stewart Grayhawk RS and the colors looked every bit as natural, and probably even more vibrant than they did on my CRT. The thing that surprised me most, though, was the depth. I had read that the depth on a DLP is not nearly what it is with CRT, but that is definitely not the case here. The "grey scale tracking", as he refers to it, looked perfect on all the test patterns we checked. Again, this projector looked good from the factory, but looks amazing now. I was afraid that I would miss my old projector, but I have no regrets. I feel that I lost nothing and gained a brighter and much sharper image. If you are in the market for a projector, I would strongly suggest getting the Samsung and having it calibrated.

Brad
post #275 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 04:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdube525 View Post

I'm wondering for the more budget concious, which of the Carada screens should someone be thinking about for a 22'x14' light controlled room with seating in the 12'-14' range for a 92" screen? On one hand I would think the BW would help with brightness, but on the other hand the High Contrast Grey may help with th eblack leves, although the gain is a bit low. Any suggestions? Any ideas what would be appropriate from Saria (sp?)? A high contrast grey w/1.3 gain from Severtson might be appropriate, but I thought those screens were aproaching the cost of a Stewart screen.

I would go with the Carada BW if your going with a 92" wide. There High Contrast Grey with the 710AE may not put out enough light. I believe Joe Kane recommends 84" wide and under for grey screens.

Brad
post #276 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Brad,

Do you think the calibration improved the black level? That is one area I'd like to see improved on mine.

A little over a year ago I saw within a short amount of time a JVC HD2k not calibrated, then one that was calibrated by WM. The difference was significant. Especially in the black level.

I have never really liked grey screens. They always seem king of dark and dull. But maybe I have never seen one with a projector that was optimised for it.

Do you think have have compromised anything by using the grey screen?

thanks,
~Jay
post #277 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 04:51 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

I'm wondering for the more budget concious, which of the Carada screens should someone be thinking about for a 22'x14' light controlled room with seating in the 12'-14' range for a 92" screen?

First, welcome to the best forum on the planet!

Carada's classic Cinema White may be the best choice for the 80" width in your environment. You really don't need gain at that size, so a screen with a coating may be worse. I wish I had personal experience with their surfaces so I could make a definitive recommendation.

Many gray screens have a tint that compensates for the red deficiency in most UHP lamps. This might be able to be calibrated out with the Samsung, but I'm not sure. The GrayHawk RS has no tint, in fact when I first saw BradH's I was sure they sent him the wrong surface!

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc.
Indianapolis, IN

post #278 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 04:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Jay

No I dont feel that I have made and compromises with the Grayhawk RS. It really is more like a white screen meaning it is very light grey. At first it look like Stewart had send me a Studiotek until I held it up to my Studiotek the I could see it was a little grey. The screen did help with black levels put after calibration the blacks just came to life. Others have said that colors dont look as good on grey screens but on this one they look as good as they did on the Studiotek, with the added bonus of better blacks.

Brad
post #279 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Brad,

That's good to hear... maybe I'll have to get one!

Ken, or anyone who may know.. Who is that best person in the LA area to calibrate the Samsung? I think Joe Kane is near here... but I don't know if he's availible

~Jay
post #280 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

One more thing on calibration. The room, screen, and projector all make one system. Calibration is the only way to get them all to come together.

Brad
post #281 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Jay

Just stay at 84"wide or under to keep the light output up.

Brad
post #282 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 05:22 PM
AVS Special Member

hmmm .. I really like a big screen. In fact I'm running it 108" wide now. I have no screen, just a white wall.

I wonder if a 130 would be better for a large screen size?

I am also toying with the idea of a constant height 2.35:1, but that gets expensive and complicated. I think I would need a scaler and an anamorphic lens.

~Jay
post #283 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 05:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M View Post

Who is that best person in the LA area to calibrate the Samsung?

Dave Abrams, who works for Joe Kane

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc.
Indianapolis, IN

post #284 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 05:57 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay M View Post

hmmm .. I really like a big screen. In fact I'm running it 108" wide now. I have no screen, just a white wall.

I wonder if a 130 would be better for a large screen size?

Jay,

For a 108" wide screen, I would definitely recommend Studiotek 130.

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc.
Indianapolis, IN

post #285 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 06:34 PM

Quote:

You may want to take a look at this review of the Carada Brilliant White Screen in exactly that size:

http://www.audioholics.com/productre...ctorScreen.php

An excerpt with the bottom line:

"The seamless Brilliant White screen material, with its 1.4 gain and thicker density, nearly mimics the performance of the popular Studiotek 130 screen"

I would obviously defer to Ken's expertise, but wonder if given this conclusion, and his affinity for the Studiotek with this PJ, whether the Carada BW might be the perfect match. I'm seriously considering going with this combination, as screen price is an issue for me.

KK
post #286 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADH View Post

One more thing on calibration. The room, screen, and projector all make one system. Calibration is the only way to get them all to come together.

Brad

Is it a fair question to ask how much calibration generally costs? I realize that discussing equipment pricing is off limits, but am assuming that this is acceptable (if not, I assume someone will set me straight).

Thanks,

KK
post #287 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 08:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Thanks, Ken and Brad.

Sounds like one amazing pj.

Noah
post #288 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kktx View Post

Is it a fair question to ask how much calibration generally costs? I realize that discussing equipment pricing is off limits, but am assuming that this is acceptable (if not, I assume someone will set me straight).

Thanks,

KK

I think its a fair question; I have seen quotes in the $300 to $450 range depending on what is required. To get a good idea go the isf site http://www.imagingscience.com/isf-trained.cfm and look for a qualified tech in your area and ask for a quote.
post #289 of 1071 Old 03-28-2006, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADH View Post

Jay

No I dont feel that I have made and compromises with the Grayhawk RS. It really is more like a white screen meaning it is very light grey. At first it look like Stewart had send me a Studiotek until I held it up to my Studiotek the I could see it was a little grey. The screen did help with black levels put after calibration the blacks just came to life. Others have said that colors dont look as good on grey screens but on this one they look as good as they did on the Studiotek, with the added bonus of better blacks.

Brad

Is it correct to say that for a light controlled room, the GRS is preferred for improved blacks, but for a room with some ambient light, the 130 is preferred for the gain? (sorry screen newbie)
post #290 of 1071 Old 03-29-2006, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D6500Ken View Post

Hey Ken, any recommendations for someone in the Raleigh/Durham NC area?
post #291 of 1071 Old 03-29-2006, 03:54 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by smyth22 View Post

To get a good idea go the isf site http://www.imagingscience.com/isf-trained.cfm and look for a qualified tech in your area and ask for a quote.

Unfortunately, the ISF website will not tell you who has the correct instrumentation (NIST-referenced photo-colorimeter). Also, JKP offered a training seminar specifically for the Samsung projectors. There are only about a dozen calibrators in the country that attended this.

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc.
Indianapolis, IN

post #292 of 1071 Old 03-29-2006, 04:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by xswl0931 View Post

Is it correct to say that for a light controlled room, the GRS is preferred for improved blacks, but for a room with some ambient light, the 130 is preferred for the gain? (sorry screen newbie)

No apology needed, we were all newbies once.

It's not an issue of light control, but of size. Below 84" wide, the GrawHawk RS will provide the best black levels. Above that, the gain of the Studiotek will be needed.

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc.
Indianapolis, IN

post #293 of 1071 Old 03-29-2006, 06:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Here are a few pictures of just how light grey the screen is.

One picture with a white piece of paper in the corner.

A few with out. I didnt use any flash so in real life the screen looks even grey.

Brad
LL
LL
LL
post #294 of 1071 Old 03-29-2006, 06:51 AM

I took the jump and ordered my 710 from AVS 2 days ago.

I'm really looking forward to getting this up and running. I'm hoping to be finished with my HT in a few weeks *knock wood* and by then, Ruben (SandmanX) should have everything sorted out with the accoustically transparent weave he's been testing. Yay!
post #295 of 1071 Old 03-29-2006, 11:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:

Update:

Based on the above post, I went back and measured again. I used the Minolta LS-100 on a tripod directly above and behind the projector (as close to the projection angle as possible). The results are as follows:

15.36 fL* (on the Theater light setting)
20.43 fL* (on the Bright light setting)

This confirms what Joe Kane told me, that the lamp runs at 75% in Theater setting. For those wanting the maximum life from their lamp, using this mode should dramatically increase longevity.

*On my 45" X 80" Stewart Studiotek 130 screen

Ken Whitcomb

Ken, Just back in town, and I saw that Jason has new post claiming 612 Lumens for the 710 in Theater Mode. Is that consistent with your result above? I calculate that this output would produce 32 ftL with a 1.3 gain screen; am I doing this correctly?
post #296 of 1071 Old 03-29-2006, 12:26 PM
jxo
Advanced Member

Quote:

Ken Whitcomb

Any suggestions for persons in the NYC area?

Regards,
Jim
post #297 of 1071 Old 03-29-2006, 12:39 PM

is this projector too dark to use with a Firehawk 1.25 gain 123" diagonal screen? I'm getting conflicting results and would love another opinion. So far, for brightness I'm headed towards the IN76 but it's review here has left me questioning my decision. I still have two weeks to decide on a projector so any help is welcomed.
post #298 of 1071 Old 03-29-2006, 04:29 PM

Umm yes this is the best projector I've seen anywhere near the price. Put the thing next to the 3-chip Sony LCOS if you want an eye opener. And the SPH710 is only 1280 x 720!!
For a few grand more there is the SPH800 (even harder to find at this point) with less noise in the blacks and 8 segment color wheel. Samsung has done very well with these. But where can I find a SPH800?

Marshall
post #299 of 1071 Old 03-29-2006, 04:32 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch P. View Post

is this projector too dark to use with a Firehawk 1.25 gain 123" diagonal screen? I'm getting conflicting results and would love another opinion.

Mitch,

It will be bright enough. You will just have to run the lamp in the bright mode. You already own the screen, right?

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc.
Indianapolis, IN

post #300 of 1071 Old 03-29-2006, 04:35 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxo View Post

Any suggestions for persons in the NYC area?

Contact Kevin Miller

Ken Whitcomb

Calibrations Inc.
Indianapolis, IN

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page