Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 1071 Old 04-28-2006, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

How many people using this projector are also using a SA8300 DVR? Anyone notice banding with this STB?

using a DVI/HDMI cable I have not noticed any yet ? but I did notice on a Caribbean show some blockies but they are not that bad and also noticed some blockies for a sec in the sky on lost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1071 Old 04-28-2006, 10:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpecervisi View Post

Guys-

I've tried to keep up with the 710 threads, have searched (or at least tried to) and have come up with no answers to my question:

My 710 appears to have died. It was working fine 2 days ago, I turned off the power when done viewing and tonight it would not power up. Of course, this was to be the "Sneak Preview" night of my HT so that really sucked. There are no indicator lights when the power is on, no standby lights, no fan noise, nothing.

Troubleshooting things I tried: the projector is on a dedicated circuit, I swapped that circuit with a known good one - no projector; the projector is on it's own outlet, I plugged something else into that outlet and it worked fine; I plugged the power cable into a known good outlet, no projector; the power cord seems to be good but I can try to test that if it is a standard computer power plug, I'm not sure.

So, my question is this: is there some magic button combination that factory resets the project or some fuse location I can access to see if something blew? I have had this thing mounted only since last Sunday and watched a couple of movies on Wednesday so I'm really really confused right now.

Any help you guys can give would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks,
-chad

Chad did you try another power cord or just reseat the plug. I had a bad one with mine {cheap 12 ' one from rat shak} and swapped it out and everything was fine after that. The male end on the projector is not a very good connector and is kind of hard to get it to seat all the way in. Hopefully that is all that is wrong.

Dale
post #723 of 1071 Old 04-29-2006, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjetski View Post

Chad did you try another power cord or just reseat the plug. I had a bad one with mine {cheap 12 ' one from rat shak} and swapped it out and everything was fine after that. The male end on the projector is not a very good connector and is kind of hard to get it to seat all the way in. Hopefully that is all that is wrong.

Dale

Dale-

I just checked this with 2 cords I had and still no luck. I've emailed and left a voicemail with Jason@AVS so maybe he knows something. I can't tell you how painful it was after 7 months of construction and 6 people over for the preview to have the projector not even power up.

Anybody have any other ideas? Are there fuses inside the case or anything like that?

-chad
post #724 of 1071 Old 04-30-2006, 04:06 AM

A quick update...

I pulled the projector off the ceiling and took apart the housing to check the fuse (which was fine). In my frustration, I gave up and reassembled/remounted the PJ and for a lark, plugged it back in.

"And behold, the 710 owner said 'Let there be light' and there was light, and it was good."

No idea why it decided to stop working and certainly no idea why it decided to start working again. I'm still hoping I can get it replaced so it doesn't happen again. Thanks for everyone's help in the forum and PMs. I really do appreciate the effort.

-chad
post #725 of 1071 Old 04-30-2006, 08:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpecervisi View Post

A quick update...

I pulled the projector off the ceiling and took apart the housing to check the fuse (which was fine). In my frustration, I gave up and reassembled/remounted the PJ and for a lark, plugged it back in.

"And behold, the 710 owner said 'Let there be light' and there was light, and it was good."

No idea why it decided to stop working and certainly no idea why it decided to start working again. I'm still hoping I can get it replaced so it doesn't happen again. Thanks for everyone's help in the forum and PMs. I really do appreciate the effort.

-chad

@carpecervisi

If you just completed your home theater I'll bet your outlet wiring is not 100% solid. Remove the cover on the outlet and check to see the connections are 100%. I had 2 outlets out of 30 be intermittent after I completed my lower level build out.

k
post #726 of 1071 Old 04-30-2006, 09:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
In looking at the pics of the 710, it looks like the fan exhaust comes out the front; is that correct? If so, I presume this means that with a ceiling mount, one can place it very close to the back wall; is that also correct? Tx, Bill
post #727 of 1071 Old 04-30-2006, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

In looking at the pics of the 710, it looks like the fan exhaust comes out the front; is that correct? If so, I presume this means that with a ceiling mount, one can place it very close to the back wall; is that also correct? Tx, Bill

Yes and yes.

Jeff
post #728 of 1071 Old 04-30-2006, 10:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Chad

Here is a link look at the bottom were the 700 stopped. The internal cable may need to be moved. You may want to take a look.

http://ultimateavmag.com/videoprojec...ng/index1.html Look here they talk about "just before the review was over"

Brad
post #729 of 1071 Old 04-30-2006, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Sorry read the setup area

"When we first turned the projector on and tried to display an image, the colors were totally messed up, with serious flickering and false contouring. A call to Kane's office revealed that this has been known to happen on occasion, and that a hard reset (power off, disconnect power cord, wait a minute, reconnect power cord, power on) usually solves the problem. They also mentioned that the wiring harness inside the projector can become dislodged during shipping, and that once the harness is secured and the hard reset is accomplished, the problem doesn't recur. For us, the hard reset did the trick"

http://ultimateavmag.com/videoprojec...ng/index1.html

Brad
post #730 of 1071 Old 04-30-2006, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

In looking at the pics of the 710, it looks like the fan exhaust comes out the front; is that correct?

When the projector is ceiling mounting, and you are looking towards the screen, the projector pulls in air from the right side and vents it out the front, angled to the left.

ISF Certified
post #731 of 1071 Old 04-30-2006, 02:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Jeff, Kevin: Thanks for the reply. Sounds good for a ceiling mount right up close to the back wall.
post #732 of 1071 Old 04-30-2006, 09:28 PM

This question has been asked a couple of times earlier in this thread, but no answer was given;

Can someone please tell me the diameter of the lens on the 710?
post #733 of 1071 Old 04-30-2006, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R. Anderson View Post

When the projector is ceiling mounting, and you are looking towards the screen, the projector pulls in air from the right side and vents it out the front, angled to the left.

Kevin,

I just played a DVD through my laptop with the projector set to PC mode. The laptop was set to 1280x1020 display resolution at 60Hz and the Samsung produced an awesome picture, I would say even better than my Oppo DVD player did through DVI.

My question is that the PC mode shows the true widescreen format of the movie (I believe it was 2.35 AR) while the Oppo/DVI setup produced it's best picture in "Full" mode which looked like 16:9 to me. Is there a way to get true widescreen out of this PJ from the DVD player? Am I missing something obvious?

John
post #734 of 1071 Old 05-01-2006, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevivoe View Post

@carpecervisi

If you just completed your home theater I'll bet your outlet wiring is not 100% solid. Remove the cover on the outlet and check to see the connections are 100%. I had 2 outlets out of 30 be intermittent after I completed my lower level build out.

k

kevivoe-
I ruled that out, thankfully. Man, if I would have had to tear up the ceiling, I'd be crying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRADH View Post

Chad

Here is a link look at the bottom were the 700 stopped. The internal cable may need to be moved. You may want to take a look.

That is pretty interesting. What I ended up doing was pulling off the case and the top piece of gear inside where the internal DVI cable connection is to check the fuse. The fuse was fine so I buttoned everything else back up. Just for the hell of it, I put power back to it and low and behold, the damned thing fired right up.

It's very possible that the wiring harness was the issue and that when I reassembled it, I inadvertently corrected the problem...but it doesn't give me much of a "warm fuzzy". I think I'd still rather have the PJ replaced than have the gremlins get it again at the next showing.

Thanks everyone for the help!
-chad
post #735 of 1071 Old 05-01-2006, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Chad

Iam glad your up and running again.

Brad
post #736 of 1071 Old 05-01-2006, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

How many people using this projector are also using a SA8300 DVR? Anyone notice banding with this STB?

I see gradient banding with the 8300. I have to try a DVD via DVI and also another projector to see what is going on this this.
post #737 of 1071 Old 05-01-2006, 11:31 AM

I am seriously considering a SilverStar screen for this projector. Does anyone here have some experience with this combination ?? I am not really looking for blindingly bright images but I have had many projectors in the past ten years or so and they all get a huge drop off in brightness late in there lamp life. As good as this projector seems to be out of the box I am curious to here some reactions with 200-300 hours on the bulb.
post #738 of 1071 Old 05-01-2006, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I only have about 15 hours on my lamp so I can't say anything about the how it looks dim. However, I have a 92" Silver Star and I think the picture I'm getting is fantastic. It's pretty bright right now. But, not too bright, IMO.
post #739 of 1071 Old 05-01-2006, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrucci View Post

I am seriously considering a SilverStar screen for this projector. Does anyone here have some experience with this combination ?? I am not really looking for blindingly bright images but I have had many projectors in the past ten years or so and they all get a huge drop off in brightness late in there lamp life. As good as this projector seems to be out of the box I am curious to here some reactions with 200-300 hours on the bulb.

Silverstar appears to get the raves (and I am sure deservingly so) but I went for the cheaper Dalite HighPower 2.8 gain 119" diag and saved a couple of thousand. PJ is mounted on rear-wall shelf 7' above floor and 17.5' in front of screen. Image is plenty bright but not too bright.

Let us know your silverstar experience if you go for it.

John
post #740 of 1071 Old 05-01-2006, 04:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emailists View Post

I see gradient banding with the 8300. I have to try a DVD via DVI and also another projector to see what is going on this this.

How often? is it bad?
post #741 of 1071 Old 05-02-2006, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foghorn17 View Post

This question has been asked a couple of times earlier in this thread, but no answer was given;

Can someone please tell me the diameter of the lens on the 710?

I dont have anything to measure it but its about 90mm+ maybe a touch larger I guesstimate ?
I just put up my 77MM filter to it and it looked about 15-20 mm larger ?
I know thats not exact but I dont have my good ruler as its in storage still as we moved recently otherwise I would give you a exact measurement so not sure if my guess helps at all ???

hope someone can do this for you
post #742 of 1071 Old 05-02-2006, 12:01 PM

Just finished setting up my HT with the sammy, Dalite HCCV & universal mount.

Gathered most of the information related to ideal installation settings from this thread. This thread is simply amazing with tonnes of useful info for someone who wants to be spun up on this pj.

One follow-up question I had ...does the quality of the DVI cable really matter when you are routing digital signals? I am using a 25 ft DVI cable to route my DVD signals to the pj through the attic above (with an HDMI-DVI adapter at the DVD player). To shave off some costs I purchased an unbranded cable from a local store (25 ft of DVI with ferrite ends cost be less than $40). Was wondering if there would be a perceptible difference in the picture quality if I were to buy an expensive (ala monster cable) version of the DVI.

Thanks again for all the great info posted here.
post #743 of 1071 Old 05-02-2006, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph_kool View Post

One follow-up question I had ...does the quality of the DVI cable really matter when you are routing digital signals? I am using a 25 ft DVI cable to route my DVD signals to the pj through the attic above (with an HDMI-DVI adapter at the DVD player). To shave off some costs I purchased an unbranded cable from a local store (25 ft of DVI with ferrite ends cost be less than $40). Was wondering if there would be a perceptible difference in the picture quality if I were to buy an expensive (ala monster cable) version of the DVI.

If your not seeing any artifacts on your screen you are good. DVI/HDMI is digital. Either you get a good connection or you don't, there isn't a gray area.
post #744 of 1071 Old 05-02-2006, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Do cables make a difference? That is an argument that will never really be settled. My two cents is that they do for analog signals but much less so for digital.

My experience with DVI/HDMI is that either it works wonderfully, you get green sparkles, or you get nothing. I agree that for long lengths, quality counts, or maybe a more expensive cable will last longer, but if it works, I don't think spending more money on a DVI cable gives you a better picture.

I've got a $100 DVI cable and a $10 one. I've used them both with the Accupel signal generator and the multi-burst pattern (tests resolution and artifacting) to see if there was any difference -- not to my eyes.

That being said, there are worse ways to spend your money than buying quality cables, and I tend to error on the side of quality since once the cable is up in the ceiling, I don't ever want to have to replace it.

ISF Certified
post #745 of 1071 Old 05-02-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honu View Post

I dont have anything to measure it but its about 90mm+ maybe a touch larger I guesstimate ?
I just put up my 77MM filter to it and it looked about 15-20 mm larger ?
I know thats not exact but I dont have my good ruler as its in storage still as we moved recently otherwise I would give you a exact measurement so not sure if my guess helps at all ???

Thanks Honu, that is very helpful.

I'm trying to determine if the Sammy is a viable option in a 2.35:1 CH setup. Knowing the lens diameter will help me determine which Anamorphic Lenses will and won't work with it.
post #746 of 1071 Old 05-02-2006, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R. Anderson View Post

Do cables make a difference? That is an argument that will never really be settled. My two cents is that they do for analog signals but much less so for digital.

My experience with DVI/HDMI is that either it works wonderfully, you get green sparkles, or you get nothing. I agree that for long lengths, quality counts, or maybe a more expensive cable will last longer, but if it works, I don't think spending more money on a DVI cable gives you a better picture.

I've got a $100 DVI cable and a $10 one. I've used them both with the Accupel signal generator and the multi-burst pattern (tests resolution and artifacting) to see if there was any difference -- not to my eyes.

That being said, there are worse ways to spend your money than buying quality cables, and I tend to error on the side of quality since once the cable is up in the ceiling, I don't ever want to have to replace it.

Thanks for the feedback. I guess that answers it for me. I am happy with what I see with DVI with the cable I have. Just wanted to get this issue settled.
post #747 of 1071 Old 05-02-2006, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready2Buy View Post

This problem has been solved already by Tryg. There are two solutions, pick the one you like:

(1) Dalite HP for low PJ mounts
(2) Vutec Silverscreen for high PJ mounts

With so much BS in these forums it's hard to see the "signal" from the "noise".

It sure is. You neglected to add that the Silverstar MSRPs for $3000 and the Carada for $1000 in a 122"D size. Also, some people see an objectionable sheen on the Silverstar (I'm not one of them). The Silverstar is not as color neutral as the Carada either. So it is not really the perfect solution that you have implied, now is it?

Glenn
post #748 of 1071 Old 05-02-2006, 05:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenned View Post

It sure is. You neglected to add that the Silverstar MSRPs for $3000 and the Carada for $1000 in a 122"D size. Also, some people see an objectionable sheen on the Silverstar (I'm not one of them). The Silverstar is not as color neutral as the Carada either. So it is not really the perfect solution that you have implied, now is it?

Glenn

Exactly!
post #749 of 1071 Old 05-02-2006, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenned View Post

Glenn

Sure, but do you want big GAIN or do you want little bitty gain? And big GAIN can only be had by very few screens. HP is the cheapest, that's what I got. It works well with the Sammy.

John
post #750 of 1071 Old 05-02-2006, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Personally, I'd rather have no gain. I think you'd get a better picture.

Bob
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page