Samsung H710AE??? 4000MRSP - Page 36 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1051 of 1071 Old 04-10-2008, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 95
No need to sacrifice anything. Drop me a PM or e-mail if you want Joe Kane's new 1080P Samsung projector.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1071 Old 04-10-2008, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the feedback. I will probably start to look at the blu-ray players.
post #1053 of 1071 Old 04-10-2008, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I've had both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD hooked up to my 710 and they both look absolutely beautiful!. In your search for a player try to find one that upconverts standard DVD's really good, and you'll have the best of both worlds!.
post #1054 of 1071 Old 04-10-2008, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Joe Kane contributed to the development of the Samsung BD1200, which used the Silicon Optics HQV Reon processor chip. It's no longer a current model. You may be able to find their BD5000 BD/HD DVD combo player, also with the Reon chip, if you act quickly. The only other BD player I know of with a Silicon Optics processor in it is the new Denon (there might be a Marantz equivalent). It has the even better Realta chip but retails for $2k. I have the 710 projector in my demo theater at my office, and also the BD1200 player. I became fond of the Reon chip's performance in my Toshiba HD XA2 HD DVD player, also at my office. At home, I have the BD5000, which I checked out with the Samsung projector before keeping it.
post #1055 of 1071 Old 06-12-2008, 02:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a bulb for this projector I am looking to sell. It has about 200 hours on it. I’m selling it because I no longer have the projector. PM me if interested.
post #1056 of 1071 Old 06-18-2008, 08:13 AM

I'm slowly re-assembling my HT, and for the short term, I plan on using my Samsung 710. I've worked through a pretty silly (newb) issue already after finding my DVD player set incorrectly. The image is pretty impressive now, fills the screen beautifully, and potentially putting at risk my long term goal of re-installing my CRT Sony G-70.

In the mean time, to give the DLP a fair shake, I'd like to know what people still using this pj, hopefully still following the thread once and a while are using for Blu-ray and/or other HDMI output enabled sources to get the most out of this projector.

In the CRT world, the answer is pretty clear, or at least there is a pretty good consensus that devices like the HD-Fury or custom cards like the Moome are the way to go for my G-70.

What is considered the "ultimate" way to feed this pj from an HDMI source? Conversion to the PC input? Converstion to the DVI input? Converstion to the RGB input?

TIA

Alex Lipowich
post #1057 of 1071 Old 06-18-2008, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What is considered the "ultimate" way to feed this pj from an HDMI source? Conversion to the PC input? Converstion to the DVI input? Converstion to the RGB input?

The "ultimate" way to feed an HDMI signal to a digital display, such as a DLP projector, would be to keep the signal digital, at least in theory. Use the DVI input on the 710. This will eliminate two signal conversion stages in the signal path: D/A from the HDMI feed, then A/D after the analog input on the projector.

Joe Kane has recommended using the DVI input on the 710 when a digital source signal is available. He oversaw the design and demonstrated it all over the world for years.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
post #1058 of 1071 Old 06-18-2008, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I feed my 710 HDMI-DVI straight from my PS3 and my Tosh A2. It looks so good I bought a couple of extra bulbs as this PJ is a keeper for me. Be sure to calibrate/tweak it sit back and enjoy!.
post #1059 of 1071 Old 06-25-2008, 03:09 AM

A quick question guys,i also own a 710 ae but haven't had a chance to use it yet(theater is under contruction)so once i set it up would i connect it to my I-SCAN VP-30 using an hdmi to hdmi with adapter dvi plug and (so i've been told) suffer some image loss or just use component cables?The hdmi to hdmi cable was installed through my ceiling long before aquiring the projector.Also, can i turn off the video processing in the 710 and let the VP-30 handle it all?TIA
post #1060 of 1071 Old 06-25-2008, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

The answer to your first question is 2 posts prior to yours. You will suffer some image loss only if you use another cable other than digital. The processing in the projector cannot be "turned off," but you can bypass it by feeding it's native signal: 720P. Your outboard video processor is likely superior to the one in the projector. Keep everything in the digital domain as much as possible.
post #1061 of 1071 Old 07-28-2009, 12:44 PM

Liked: 12
Just picked up a new 700 for a song. I always like getting the high end technology from a couple of years ago for a good price (less than 1/10th of retail). We will see how it compares to my current projector (Sanyo Z60). I am hoping the 700 bests it in every way. I wonder if Samsung will honor the warranty still?? The unit is a leftover that was never opened from an out of business AV shop.
post #1062 of 1071 Old 07-28-2009, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I wonder if Samsung will honor the warranty still?? The unit is a leftover that was never opened from an out of business AV shop.

Contact Samsung and get their answer in writing. They should be able to verify if the unit has never been sold to a consumer. There should be original warranty registration cards and instructions in the box. The image produced by the Samsung should put the Sanyo LCD to shame. I have owned both and there is no comparison, except the Sanyo had a few more pixels in the image. In every other regard, the Samsung far outperforms the Sanyo.
post #1063 of 1071 Old 07-28-2009, 05:54 PM

I will try to contact samsung. I can't wait to try this projector out.
post #1064 of 1071 Old 07-29-2009, 09:57 AM
jxo
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam-DiVine View Post

I will try to contact samsung. I can't wait to try this projector out.

I still have one in use. Samsung replaced my original a while back after it suffered from the dreaded start up issues. I built a second home theater in the basement for the kids (so I could finally watch something myself) with the 710 and a dirt cheap Monoprice 135" screen. The screen is way too big for the projector but it still looks great-- I always liked the colors on it. I have a JVC in the main theater-- 1080 resolution and much better blacks make a big difference to the videophile but the kids could care less (they like the huge floor to ceiling screen). Good luck-- I hope you have a unit that will last more than a few months.

Regards,
Jim
post #1065 of 1071 Old 07-29-2009, 09:25 PM
AVS Club Gold

Does anyone know where you can get one of these fixed (start up issue) without going through Samsung. Mine started acting up one month after replacing the bulb in September 2007. I just went ahead and replaced it with a Marantz 15S1 1080P and put the Samsung back in its original box and put it in storage. I had to get something from the storage unit a few days ago and saw the box setting there. I would like to get it repaired and use it in a spare bedroom for the kids to watch movies and play video games on. I did try and go through Samsung in November 2007 and all I have to say is what a freakin joke. I called them six different times in a two week period and each and every time I got a different answer.

Thanks.
post #1066 of 1071 Old 07-30-2009, 04:45 AM

does any one know if the start up problem was only with the 710, or was it also with the 700? I was wondering if the cost reduction between the two units resulted in reliability issues. Just a thought...
post #1067 of 1071 Old 08-02-2009, 08:40 AM

So I hooked up the projector and it looks pretty good. I think that I need to upgrade my source. I am using an OPPO 981HD and it just doesn't put out that great of an image. This was really apparent when I switched from the Sanyo Z60 to the Samsung. Even though the picture is better, I am still bothered by digital noise (or maybe dithering) in the image. It is most pronounced in backgrounds of mostly the same color (like an interior wall or a dark sky). I am going to post in the OPPO thread to see if there are any suggestions.
post #1068 of 1071 Old 08-25-2009, 08:57 AM

Well that didn't last long... My 700 died after just 30 hours. I am going to try to get warranty service, we will see how it goes.
post #1069 of 1071 Old 08-25-2009, 08:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 83
Yikes

post #1070 of 1071 Old 08-25-2009, 11:19 AM

I contacted Samsung and filled out an online repair request. I received a ticket number and no further instructions. So I called a representative and he said that projector repairs under warranty are dealt with by sending out a new projector to the customer and then sending back the defective unit in the same box. If this actually happens, I will be happy. I just hope the new one doesn't exhibit the same problem after such short use.
post #1071 of 1071 Old 08-25-2009, 11:36 AM
AVS Special Member

If you need out of warranty repair work done, try contacting this company in the Atlanta area and ask for Richard Fisher. He is the owner of the company and also owns either a 700 or a 710. The company has been an electronics repair service center for many manufacturers for many years, as well as a resource for audio and video calibration services.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.
A Lion AV Consultants Affiliate

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page