Samsung h710 startup issues - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 659 Old 05-27-2006, 05:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried that last night in an attempt to entertain my family while the basketball game audio was on through my surrounds. The problem was that it was very difficult to keep pace because my hads were getting tired all the time and my 5 year old kept moving the flashlight out of position. I hope they come up with a fix for that one too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 659 Old 05-27-2006, 07:03 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
And to think I was going to buy the up-coming blu-ray player from SAMSUNG....I don't think so. Imagine the nightmares we could encounter with a new technology, and their lack of commitment.

Do not steal, The powers that be do not like the competition.
post #93 of 659 Old 05-27-2006, 07:22 AM

Has anyone tried using a different power cord vs the one that came with the projector?
post #94 of 659 Old 05-27-2006, 07:57 AM
Advanced Member

I posted a thread about a month and a half ago, which by the way nobody cared to answer, where I mentioned having problems with the unit, where it would turn on and off by just touching the unit or moving it slightly to the side, Making sure that the power cord was well inserted took care of that problem, but the issues that the forum members are talking about now seem to be much more serious.

post #95 of 659 Old 05-27-2006, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
How quickly love fades. I have seen no evidence that Samsung has abandoned us. It appears to me that AVS has stepped up to the plate for us, and will do well by us. Any of you who didn't buy from AVS should talk to your dealer. They are the ones who are actually Samsung's customers and usually are able to get better answers than we are.

Those who are jumping ship and thinking Optoma deals with customers better than Samsung, go read the threads about their bulbs lasting 250 hours. I'm not saying don't switch to Optoma - fine company and fine projectors. I'm just saying there are people who are extremely upset with them because of a technical problem with bulbs. Whatever you do, just make sure you go into the deal with your eyes open. And buy from someone you trust.
post #96 of 659 Old 05-27-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

Those who are jumping ship and thinking Optoma deals with customers better than Samsung, go read the threads about their bulbs lasting 250 hours.

or buy the BenQ 8720
post #97 of 659 Old 05-27-2006, 10:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLoyD View Post

or buy the BenQ 8720

I had the impression that the 8720 cost a lot more than the 710. Am I wrong?
post #98 of 659 Old 05-27-2006, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 19
For MSRPs, the Benq 8720 is $7,200 and the Samsung $4,000. I'm not sure what street prices are.

Bob
post #99 of 659 Old 05-27-2006, 11:22 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
AVS is great and I feel totally safe buying from them, but Samsung needs to step up and figure out what the deal is with this issue. I am on the list to get one of these from AVS, but only if this issue can be resolved and Samsung deals with the current customers correctly which so far, atleast according to this thread, is not the case.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #100 of 659 Old 05-27-2006, 11:23 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 400
Oh, and I am all about hand puppets

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #101 of 659 Old 05-27-2006, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

AVS is great and I feel totally safe buying from them, but Samsung needs to step up and figure out what the deal is with this issue. I am on the list to get one of these from AVS, but only if this issue can be resolved and Samsung deals with the current customers correctly which so far, atleast according to this thread, is not the case.

Amen to that.

post #102 of 659 Old 05-27-2006, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post

I had the impression that the 8720 cost a lot more than the 710. Am I wrong?

I am not sure what subjective price difference makes 2 projectors within the same price range for you, the $3k MSRP difference is somewhat less on the street.

DC3, sealed optics, variable iris, 3 year warranty, HDMI input, RELIABILITY ... how much is this worth?

I was considering the 710 at one time, but the banding and start up issues steered me clear of the Samsung. It *may* have color accuracy and shadow detail over the 8720, but I would wager once calibrated, the difference (if any) would be mnimal.

I hope Jason does a 8720 review soon.
post #103 of 659 Old 05-27-2006, 12:50 PM

Status Report:

(1) Good news: Continuing to have success with starting up the bulb on the first try. I am now 5 for 5 on successful attempts since re-arranging my cables and reconnecting.

(2) Bad news: However my fifth and most recent attempt was only successful in that the bulb started on the first try. This time the projector image showed up-side down on the screen and the color of the image was dominated almost entirely by the green color. It was as if the software went into a new operational mode. This problem was fixed by shutting down and then powering up the unit. This is obviously not the bulb problem but something else which has already been reported by others.

John
post #104 of 659 Old 05-28-2006, 12:46 PM

My 710 is officially dead. It wont start no matter how many times I try. (I tried for almost an hour thinking if I could get it on once- I'd just leave it on)

I have tried different angles of the wires, making sure there is no starin on them - compressing, etc. No luck. Can't even do the shadow puppets with it! I'm leaving it unplugged for a day to see if that helps reset anything.

David Abrams from Joe Kanes's company replied to my email- thanking me for bringing this thread to their attention. Joe has contacted Samsung product management, and will follow up with them after the holiday weekend.

ADDED: My dealer told me last week he'd give me another 710 when he gets the new shipment, but I also think he'd let me move to another manufacturer, or possibly even a refund. I'm just not sure what to do. The new low cost DC3 chips dont sound very appealing. Jason noted with the 7100 that he did see pixels from his viewing distance, otherwide I think I'd take that unit. Anyone compare this to the 710?
post #105 of 659 Old 05-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

I am rejoining this thread after a week's forced absence (I was marooned at the Radison hotel, Norfolk, VA which in theory has wireless internet access but in practice connections dropped so frequently that it was unusable )

Update on my repair is that, a week later, it is under "parts research". Apparently parts are not listed on-line, so the repair shop contacted Samsung directly to order new lamp and color wheel. Beyond that details are vague. The guy I was talking to seemed to be just reading from notes. No indication so far that there is a service bulletin from Samsung indentifying problem and fix. I fear I may be in typical service cycle where in the absence of definitive information on root cause they substitute various parts until the problem is fixed.

My reactions to specific posts in this thread:

Ready2Buy #47 Great find and great review. It aggrevating to say the least to find out that these problems were identified in May 2005 on the H700 and not addressed in the H710. Samsung had to have been aware of this issue in 2005 but chose to release defective products "into the wild" regardless. My unit was manufactured February 2006. Ready2Buy I am glad you are on our team in this. I sense the tenacity of a bulldog !

emailists #52 Agree wholehartedly. You have precisely outlined the type of response that Samsung could and should take to turn what is currently shaping up to be a public relations & marketing fiasco into something positive. They must know by now that there is a problem. Not acknowledging it amounts to contempt for the customer in my book. If Samsung itself doesn't step up to the plate by themselves then I hope that JKP would at least assert some influence. While they are probably not directly responsible for the circuit design & manufacture, their reputation is still on the line here as well.

Ready2Buy #58 Do not totally agree with your list as it seems 4 separate problems have been reported.
1) Lamp failing to fire. On my unit this happened straight out of the box.
2) Colours initially messed up, predominantly green, but come right, and stay right after a minute or so. On my unit this happened after about 40 hrs on lamp.
3) Image initially inverted comes right after a minute or so. I have not seen this on my unit.
4) Lamp goes off after a few minutes. I have not seen this on my unit.
My point is that I don't think we have enough information to know that the first 2 problems are necessarily related. 2) & 3) could be related. 1) & 4) could be related. However, my unit has 1) & 2) but they started at different times. It does not have 3) & 4).

chasfs #74 I already tried lamp swap and problem stays with projector, not lamp.

timf98 #80 Very interesting. For starters, interesting that they had someone come out. I had to take mine in. So, do they think the controller board replacement fixes both the lamp and colour issues ? Could you post or pm me the name of the repair shop ? I think I need to get pro-active in getting "my guys" talking to "your guys". I agree that it is not the back panel or the wiring harness. The problem seems too repeatable and consistent for that. Once past the start-up hiccups my unit has been totally stable.

luismanrara #94 Could you point me to the exact post (thread & post #) ?

emailists #104 You posted while I was composing. Great news. Hopefully there will now be some progress and communications at last on these issues Thanks for taking the initiative on this.

I will update progress on my repair when/if it occurs.

Brent
post #106 of 659 Old 05-28-2006, 03:31 PM

Hmmm You start to make me a little nervous. I am on the back order list of AVS for the 710...

Is it a problem which arrives on all the projectors or only on some?

If it is on all the projectors, I will have to turn to another product in spite of the quality of image of the Samsung... especially which I am in Canada and which I should send my projector to the USA for the guarantee
post #107 of 659 Old 05-28-2006, 04:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by simarddominic View Post

... especially which I am in Canada and which I should send my projector to the USA for the guarantee

As I have posted in the main H710 thread, documentation ships with the projector confirming that Samsung Canada will honor the warranty.

The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price has passed.
post #108 of 659 Old 05-28-2006, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Hmmm You start to make me a little vervous. I am on the back order list of AVS for the 710...

Is it a problem which arrives on all the projectors or only on some?

If it is on all the projectors, I will have to turn to another product in spite of the quality of image of the Samsung... especially which I am in Canada and which I should send my projector to the USA for the guarantee

Same thing for me !
post #109 of 659 Old 05-28-2006, 09:15 PM
Advanced Member

luismanrara #94 Could you point me to the exact post (thread & post #) ?

It is post # 393 of the Samsung 710 main thread. I got so mad that nobody responded that I deleted it and the angry face speaks for itself.

post #110 of 659 Old 05-28-2006, 09:58 PM

I reread this thread and counted 11 people including myself have problems.

11 AVS Forum members alone!!!!

I would venture to say this is more than AVS MEMBERS that have the unit with no problems.

Mine is still dead- even after keeping it unplugged for a day.

UPDATE: I decided to open the unit and see if anything was loose. SOmetimes when starting up I did get a read LED overheat light, but not every time.

Inside nothing looked loose, and I did make sure each ribbon connector was seated properly. The bulb seems a much simpler affair then the bulbs for the Toshiba Mt700/Benq 7700. That bulb had a reflector and a complete housing, which the Samsung bulb (made by Phillips) doesn't have.

The curious thing is that the multi pin connector from the power supply to the circuit board had some type of tape over it, which clearly looked like an afterthought to "stop" the power connector from coming loose.

Is this Samsung's idea of fixing the whole reliability issue with the 700 in order to bring the 710 to market? I can see the engineering staff now. "We'll just have the labor camp slap some tape on it so it doesn't come loose.... Anyone up for a pint?"

I have tried close to 75 times over 2 nights to get this running but no luck. I was hoping to get it to ignite just once more then leave it running for the time it would take to get me a replacement.
post #111 of 659 Old 05-29-2006, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luismanrara View Post

It is post # 393 of the Samsung 710 main thread. I got so mad that nobody responded that I deleted it and the angry face speaks for itself.

Well that would explain why I couldn't find it.

Brent
post #112 of 659 Old 05-29-2006, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Remember that I was one of the original guinea pigs on this unit and was so excited about purchasing it. I watched it almost every day. When I had the problem I called Jason and he kindly replaced the unit. Not wanting to scare others away I did not report my problem here on the board, which was the exact problem happening again on my new replacement unit. At the time I thought maybe my problem was isolated and since I was still one of the early adopters not many of you had your units yet and if you did you were still a little early on your bulb life to start seeing the problem.

Now that I am back I am seeing how many of you bought the unit and now we are all in the same boat. I agree that from a statistical point of view the 11 with the problem on AVS reflects a much much broader problem on Samsungs hands when you take that sample to the marketplace.

The build date on my unit says February of 2006. Does anyone have a unit with a problem that has a later date on the label on back of the unit?
post #113 of 659 Old 05-29-2006, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Romy I know you had the 8720 before would you go back to that unit? I had the 710 and after seeing the artifacts with my setup I returned the unit and I was going to pick up the 8720 when I ran into an incredible deal on a slightly used ruby for less than dealer cost and Im very happy with the ruby, nothing is perfect not even the ruby but the samsung seems to be showing some QC issues that are making more and more people wonder if the want to take a chance on it, its a pity because the image is outstanding for the money.
post #114 of 659 Old 05-29-2006, 07:51 AM

How many 710's has AVS sold? I have a Feb 2006 Samsung on 138 hours and no problems thus far. I wonder if we are talking about a 5% failure rate, a 10%, or a 40%? I don't think there's been a set amount a time when the problem shows up, just seems random from what I can gather?

Jeff
post #115 of 659 Old 05-29-2006, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funlvr1965 View Post

Romy I know you had the 8720 before would you go back to that unit? I had the 710 and after seeing the artifacts with my setup

Wich artifact were you talking about ?
post #116 of 659 Old 05-29-2006, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Wich artifact were you talking about ?

This
post #117 of 659 Old 05-29-2006, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
I had a problem with my 700 and went through a couple of lamps until I found the real problem. I am using an HDMI cable with an HDMI to DVI connector on the display it self. I have been using ths for about two years.

The image would go black and I could no longer bring up the 700s menu. I had to use the power switch to turn off. When I would turn it back on, it would run for a few minutes and then do the same thing. For some reason I decided to remove the cable when this occured and the image returned but was invertsed. At this point I could turn it off. I left the cable out, turned it back on and let it run for a couple of hours. No problem. Next I purchased a new connector (HDMI to DVI) and plugged it in. I have watched a few movies since w/o problem.

If anyone having problems is getting similar behavior, I would try removing the cable from the display and powering on, display an internal pattern and let it run for a while.
post #118 of 659 Old 05-29-2006, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikLoyD View Post

This

Thanks
post #119 of 659 Old 05-29-2006, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The new low cost DC3 chips dont sound very appealing. Jason noted with the 7100 that he did see pixels from his viewing distance, otherwide I think I'd take that unit. Anyone compare this to the 710?

My understanding was that the DC3 chip in the 7100 is the same as the one in the H79, is this not the case? If they are the same then why is screendoor an issue with the 7100 and not with the H79? Is the issue with SD caused by the better optics of the 7100 as Guitarman seems to imply?
post #120 of 659 Old 05-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

It would be interesting to find out what percentage is affected. I am at 150 hours now and still ok. But with all the rest of you having these issues is makes me wonder when I will have the issue. Hopefully Samsung will have better info on this issue very soon, so we can all go back tp enjoying our units and not wonder when there will be a fix.

Dale
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page