Official Optoma HD7100, HD7300 + HD3000 Scaler thread. - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 2851 Old 11-30-2006, 07:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Lamp ? problems again

I had lamp problems again last night. When starting the projector, it does not find a source despite having 2 active inputs, it projects a dark screen for about 2 minutes, the power indicator flashes once, the lamp goes off for about 2 minutes, the power indicator flashes once, the lamp goes on, some times it finds a source, sometimes it cycles through the above sequence 2 or three times before it finds a source. It will not respond to the manual source buttons on the remote during these sequences. This problem seems to happen only when the source select is set to manual. However, this time it seems that the projector switched from auto to manual on its own, because I had not reset it from auto! At first I thought the lamp was not striking at all, but this was only because I had some light in the room, and the PJ was so dim during all this process. With the lights off, it is clear that the lamp really is going on and off. I just filed a tech request with Optoma. The unit is just 2 weeks old. Hope I don't have to exchange it with the seller.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 2851 Old 11-30-2006, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

This PJ has it's share of issues.

probably not why it isn't the most popular one of the bunch... even though it can hold it's own... and then some! -when it is operational.

just depends how much you run'er.

now on the other hand. My studio Calibrated sp5700. I am typing on right now.

is on it's 2600th hour. without a single issue to date.

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #453 of 2851 Old 11-30-2006, 08:00 AM
FGM

Based on previous posts by Quattro32 I have found what appears to be the manufacturer of our "Optoma" HD7100: SIC Technology of Hsinchu City,Taiwan. Here is the link to them: http//www.sic-tehnology.com/main.php. Does anybody here know anything about them?
Their Cinema 2 Mark lll and the HD7100 look identical and specs seem to be the same as well. I wonder if they would answer technical/ performance questions.
Quattro32, can you point us to some of the reviews/forums on this projector that you have previously mentioned? I am interested even if they are not in English.
Thank you.
post #454 of 2851 Old 11-30-2006, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

- on a side note.

I am still dealing with Optoma for my RMA'd blub.

their customer service people are a$$holes.

they sent my new lamp to an entierly different place and then blamed me for it.

they said that I have to rectify the situation, and get UPS to send the package back to them.

now I call to see if they sent it out to the right place.... and they act all "cold" to me on the phone..

people with no phone voice and manners shouldn't be in customer service.

F optoma.

3 Strikes and your out.

Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #455 of 2851 Old 11-30-2006, 10:33 AM

FGM

It's actually Chillin Electronics. OEM manufacturer. HT Projectors Andrea did a review recently. I like his calibration settings as well, they open up the shadow detail nicely. You have to go to Italian section of the site.

There are other avs type forums in Italy and Germany that did comparisons between the older HD2+ fitted machine and H79 as well the DC3 and PE8720. All of them very positive. This thing costs over 5K Euros in Europe BTW.

I managed to get some answers from the designer of HD7100 in Taiwan on things that were of interest to me, I think this thing offers some kick ass features not found on any other pj.

So far it has been very reliable for me. I think compared to many other machines this thing is in the ballpark, PE7700, H79/8/7, AE710 and others come to mind. Considering this has been in production for a long time and I have read none of the reports of failure in Germany, Italy and France, I feel this machine is as good as any.

I received my Bravo D1 last night, and had it running at 48Hz with custom settings on my HD7100. I watched I Robot DVD. The panning was smoother and more realistic than Oppo 971, it just felt more cinema like. After H77 I am more aware of how smooth camera movement adds to the realism of an action movie. The clarity and detail was stunning, to the point where I would put this machine against anything I have seen so far (except maybe Sim 3 chipper) I will do more testing versus Oppo.

I did get some dropped frames and glitches with Bravo, it's not as a refined product as Oppo IMHO. I will play with settings and do the cap mod to see if it helps.

The rainbows at 48Hz are practically non existent. I can read white text against black and move my eyes around without "sparks" flying around. The whole DLP red eye thing seems to go away on this pj at this point. It's pretty amazing for me

Cheers
post #456 of 2851 Old 11-30-2006, 05:22 PM

I have all of my sources (Directv receiver, Xbox 360, vcr) going into a Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver. The components go into the Yamaha via HDMI, component and composite respectively. They all go out to the projector via HDMI to DVI cable (25'). I'm using a Harmony 890 receiver over RF. One button turns everything on simultaneously (well almost actually). I never change the routine, it's always the same so I'm not sure why the lamp won't light sometimes. Maybe I'm incorrect in saying that the lamp won't light. I do see light emanating from the PJ but I get a dark screen, similar to what afcooper is experiencing 5 posts earlier. I will put a call into Optoma to see what they say and to get my name on the record in case it becomes a bigger issue later. I'll keep you all posted.
post #457 of 2851 Old 11-30-2006, 05:43 PM

Lamp ? problems again

When my lamp goes on, I actually get an Optoma screen for a few seconds before it goes very dark. It is not a video black, but rather a very dark screen with some slightly lighter vertical banding. Then the power indicator flashes, the lamp goes off as discribed above. I am not surprised that you don't notice that the lamp goes on as the screen picture is very dark, but the light leaking out of the case indicates the lamp is on, and if you look directly into the lens you can see a faint light. What source selection mode are you using-manual or auto?
post #458 of 2851 Old 11-30-2006, 06:06 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by afcooper View Post

Lamp ? problems again

When my lamp goes on, I actually get an Optoma screen for a few seconds before it goes very dark. It is not a video black, but rather a very dark screen with some slightly lighter vertical banding. Then the power indicator flashes, the lamp goes off as discribed above. I am not surprised that you don't notice that the lamp goes on as the screen picture is very dark, but the light leaking out of the case indicates the lamp is on, and if you look directly into the lens you can see a faint light. What source selection mode are you using-manual or auto?

mine does the exact same thing as everyone else obvious a software problem or something . will call optoma after the holidays and repost what i find out
post #459 of 2851 Old 12-01-2006, 07:04 AM
FGM

I first turn the power on the line feeding the projector, source and audio receiver. Then I turn on the audio receiver and the source DVD player and then the projector which I have in manual mode.
The lamp in the pj lights up slightly giving out a very faint/no picture on the screen depending on the light level in the room, but there is always some light in the lamp case/assembly.
Then, I push the component 1 source mode on the remote and almost instantly the pj lamp lights up gradually to full intensity and from then on the pj works w/o a hick.
I find this behavior peculiar but since the lamp does not switch off by itself and always lights up fully when manually solicited, I assume this is the normal way the firmware works in this pj.
post #460 of 2851 Old 12-01-2006, 07:23 AM

Start up/lamp problem

FMG-My PJ seems like it is behaving very much like yours. I found running in Auto source select works better, but the last few days it keeps switching back to Manual mode, even though I have confirmed the Auto setting just before I powered it off. Did it again last night, although It found my DVI source right away and came on fine. I always power on the source and make sure it is playing and douse the lights before I power on the PJ so I can see what it is doing. I would say it is definitely a software problem, but I sure don't like the idea that it is putting a lot of extra wear and tear on the lamp by restriking it so much. I am going to exchange it if Optoma doesn't come up with something good.

But what a great picture!
post #461 of 2851 Old 12-01-2006, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Perhaps this lamp firing problem and the other major complaint, the inability to sync stright up with the Toshiba HD-DVD player, is the reason the 7100 is now only sold as the 7300 with the video processor. The video processor probably handles the syncing problem properly.

Is this correct 7300 owners?

Jack

Jack
post #462 of 2851 Old 12-01-2006, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGM View Post

I first turn the power on the line feeding the projector, source and audio receiver. Then I turn on the audio receiver and the source DVD player and then the projector which I have in manual mode.
The lamp in the pj lights up slightly giving out a very faint/no picture on the screen depending on the light level in the room, but there is always some light in the lamp case/assembly.
Then, I push the component 1 source mode on the remote and almost instantly the pj lamp lights up gradually to full intensity and from then on the pj works w/o a hick.
I find this behavior peculiar but since the lamp does not switch off by itself and always lights up fully when manually solicited, I assume this is the normal way the firmware works in this pj.

You can read my earlier posts on here as I was one of the first to receive this projector. The really old thread which was started on this projector was shut down, after it became personal; hence the warning at the top of the first page on this new thread.

Mine has done the same thing a few times with the first bulb, to the point where I actually sent my unit into Optoma to see what was going on with it. The supposedly fixed the problem by tightening a connection they thought was loose due to possible rough shipping and handling. I think they just made that up to cover themselves and they know full well that there is a problem with the bulbs firing and syncing issues over some connections on this projector. I got the projector back and within a week the projector bulb misfired again and the bulb was dead. I called them right away with my complaint, they said it was fine when they checked it and that the bulb warranty only covers 90 days. I say it a fault and a warranty issue which caused the bulb to fail and should be covered under my. I am now in discussions with them on this issue. I had a replacement bulb on standby, and installed the new bulb. Every thing was fine for about a week, but it now has had one bad strike on the new bulb. I am not pleased and do not want another bulb I purchased at $$$$ ruined by there reluctance to admit that this is a problem with this projector model.

You should always however start the projector up first and give it enough time to show its screen image, and then turn on your other equipment connected to it, it needs about 10-20 seconds for next command to work properly. You should do the reverse when shutting down your system. This does help with the signal recognition and may help in eliminating a few misfires. I too use the harmony 880 remote for my system.

Will keep you posted on my negotiations with Optoma.

Just one more upgrade honey, I promise!!
post #463 of 2851 Old 12-01-2006, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

Perhaps this lamp firing problem and the other major complaint, the inability to sync stright up with the Toshiba HD-DVD player, is the reason the 7100 is now only sold as the 7300 with the video processor. The video processor probably handles the syncing problem properly.

Is this correct 7300 owners?

Jack

I think Tom mentioned back earlier in this thread or in the old one that the external scalar (VP) does help with sync problems and other issues. I think I just may have to purchase a scalar(VP) soon.

post #464 of 2851 Old 12-01-2006, 09:45 AM

I promised screen shots on my fix for the light leakage problem awhile back, so here they are. Keep in mind that while this method does not look that pretty the effect it produces is well worth it. In the dark who really cares what it looks like as you will never see it as not too many people look straight at the lens, and especially not when it is on!!
LL

post #465 of 2851 Old 12-01-2006, 10:41 AM

Forgot the attachments to the previous post.
LL
LL
LL

post #466 of 2851 Old 12-01-2006, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post

You can read my earlier posts on here as I was one of the first to receive this projector. The really old thread which was started on this projector was shut down, after it became personal; hence the warning at the top of the first page on this new thread.

Mine has done the same thing a few times with the first bulb, to the point where I actually sent my unit into Optoma to see what was going on with it. The supposedly fixed the problem by tightening a connection they thought was loose due to possible rough shipping and handling. I think they just made that up to cover themselves and they know full well that there is a problem with the bulbs firing and syncing issues over some connections on this projector. I got the projector back and within a week the projector bulb misfired again and the bulb was dead. I called them right away with my complaint, they said it was fine when they checked it and that the bulb warranty only covers 90 days. I say it a fault and a warranty issue which caused the bulb to fail and should be covered under my. I am now in discussions with them on this issue. I had a replacement bulb on standby, and installed the new bulb. Every thing was fine for about a week, but it now has had one bad strike on the new bulb. I am not pleased and do not want another bulb I purchased at $$$$ ruined by there reluctance to admit that this is a problem with this projector model.

You should always however start the projector up first and give it enough time to show its screen image, and then turn on your other equipment connected to it, it needs about 10-20 seconds for next command to work properly. You should do the reverse when shutting down your system. This does help with the signal recognition and may help in eliminating a few misfires. I too use the harmony 880 remote for my system.

Will keep you posted on my negotiations with Optoma.

I am dealing with Craptoma now too, they are giving me troubles.. wont tell me when my bulb will be shipped. (again after they shipped it too the wrong place.)

it wouldn't be so bad if the "bad projector" had a good company (warranty issues) to deal with.

but bad company, bad pj... tsk tsk tsk...

post #467 of 2851 Old 12-01-2006, 01:12 PM

Start up/lamp prob;em

Does this problem of not starting up correctly and turning off the bulb happen on a lot of machines? I have seen several others having the problem post here, but only a few mention not having problems. Would be nice to know before I send it back for another.
post #468 of 2851 Old 12-01-2006, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, I would say that it's fairly common.

post #469 of 2851 Old 12-01-2006, 06:26 PM

I just received my HD7100 a couple of days ago and I'm having problems with the pj converting to 720p or 1080i. All I get is 720 x 480. I have a Denon AVR-2807 and a Sony upconverting DVD (cheap player - but works fine). I've tried the DVI from the DVD player to the Denon and I've tried the component from the DVD player to the Denon - both with the DVI out connected to the pj. I don't have my HD Directv hooked up yet, so I'm just using the DVD player.

I've even tried the HDMI directly from the DVD player to the DVI on the projector. Nothing.

The picture at 720 x 480 looks great, but I'd really like to see 720p or 1080i.

Am I missing something?
post #470 of 2851 Old 12-01-2006, 11:31 PM

UpNorth,

You say to turn the projector on first for 10-20 sec and that you use a Harmony 880. Do you have an interval set in you activities on the Harmony to do this automatically?
post #471 of 2851 Old 12-02-2006, 06:25 AM

I purchased an Optoma HD7100 projector in June, 2006. A significant reason was the 3 yr. warranty and 2000 hr lamp life. Unfortunately, I had to replace the lamp after only 248 hours. I realize the lamp only has a 90 day warranty, but if I have to replace the lamp twice a year if will cost me almost $1000 per year to operate this projector. Hopefully my experience with the second lamp will be better than the first. However, I would hope given that the lamp lasted only about 10% of the projected life that Optoma would reimburse me for cost of the lamp.

Any ideas on how to get Optoma to reimburse me?
post #472 of 2851 Old 12-02-2006, 07:15 AM
FGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithockey79 View Post

I just received my HD7100 a couple of days ago and I'm having problems with the pj converting to 720p or 1080i. All I get is 720 x 480. I have a Denon AVR-2807 and a Sony upconverting DVD (cheap player - but works fine). I've tried the DVI from the DVD player to the Denon and I've tried the component from the DVD player to the Denon - both with the DVI out connected to the pj. I don't have my HD Directv hooked up yet, so I'm just using the DVD player.

I've even tried the HDMI directly from the DVD player to the DVI on the projector. Nothing.

The picture at 720 x 480 looks great, but I'd really like to see 720p or 1080i.

Am I missing something?

Make certain that your pj IS NOT in native/pixel to pixel mode and/or ensure that the DVD player is doing the upconversion.
Good luck.
post #473 of 2851 Old 12-02-2006, 07:31 AM
FGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afcooper View Post

Start up/lamp prob;em

Does this problem of not starting up correctly and turning off the bulb happen on a lot of machines? I have seen several others having the problem post here, but only a few mention not having problems. Would be nice to know before I send it back for another.

As I have posted before, mine has never turned off the bulb. In manual mode, it just stars up by showing a very faint light initially until I push the component 1 source manually and then lites up fully w/o problems. In other words, it seems to start up in 2 steps.
If there is any user that in start up gets full light in manual mode before pushing the desired source manually I would like to know. Otherwise, I will assume this behavior is "normal" for this projector.
Thanks.
post #474 of 2851 Old 12-02-2006, 09:09 AM

FMG-Most of the time mine does not turn the bulb off, however it always starts in manual mode now, even though I set it to auto before I turn off the PJ. It always finds the source on DVI with out having to manually select it. It starts with a very dark Optoma screen for a few seconds, goes black with a message that it found something, and immediately brings it up.
post #475 of 2851 Old 12-02-2006, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Well... Optoma finally sent my bulb to the right location.

Hopefully I will get it soon my sp5700 is getting old.

btw. Upnorth, you said that you use the Harmony 880. Do you have any issues with the HD7100? or with codes and such?

thanks.

rod

post #476 of 2851 Old 12-02-2006, 01:39 PM

My third 7100 just died. I'm averaging one every two months at this point. I'm getting tired of spending $70 to ship it back for replacement every time --sorta like a $35/mo projector subscription. This one does hold the record for most hours, roughly 420. The others never made it to 200.

Symptoms leading up to the complete failure were the same as the other units. For the first ~50 hours it works flawlessly, then starts occasionally exhibiting a very slight "flutter" in the brightness. This is easy to miss, but apparent if you bring up the menus. Switching econo mode off and on again fixes the brightness fluctuation for anywhere from minutes to hours. This problem shows up maybe once every 20 hours. Eventually it will begin having false starts where it fires the lamp, the lamp grows to full brightness, but the Optoma logo never displays. If you wait, it cycles itself once or twice (killing and re-firing the lamp each time) and eventually initializes ok. The final stage is a complete blackout in the middle of normal operation, after which the pj can no longer fire the lamp at startup.

My impression is that this is a firmware bug which results in radically shortened lamp life. The fact that the lamp fires but the firmware doesn't seem to notice (thus no Optoma logo) and then restarts it has got to be bad for lamp life.
post #477 of 2851 Old 12-02-2006, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGM View Post

Make certain that your pj IS NOT in native/pixel to pixel mode and/or ensure that the DVD player is doing the upconversion.
Good luck.

FGM, the pj is not in pixel/pixel and I have the DVD set for 1280x720 and I've tried 1920x1080. Still everything shows 720x480.
post #478 of 2851 Old 12-02-2006, 08:16 PM

As mentioned previously, I am on my third projector. The first two had problems out of the box that I discussed here previously (do a search of my previous posts). The third has worked fairly well and now has 865 hours on it. I still am never sure that it will come up on the proper input, but other than that "minor" problem I love it. I always keep my Optoma remote nearby so that I can select the input. I also use the Harmony/Logitech 880 remote with it. I really should put a "composite 2" "button" on the screen so I can put away the Optoma remote. All functions seem to work fine with the 880 remote, including proper sequencing of events.
post #479 of 2851 Old 12-03-2006, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking401 View Post

As mentioned previously, I am on my third projector. The first two had problems out of the box that I discussed here previously (do a search of my previous posts). The third has worked fairly well and now has 865 hours on it.

Have you experienced on your latest pj any false starts or the brightness flutter I described? Posts like yours give me hope. Since all three of my pjs have developed identical symptoms it certainly seems like I keep getting bit by a specific flaw which they should have corrected by now. The replacement pjs have a new sn sticker covering the old one, which may mean I'm getting a refurb instead of a new unit. At this point I'd be happy with anything so long as the lamp blew up from old age at 2000 hours instead of 200.
post #480 of 2851 Old 12-03-2006, 09:02 AM

adk0212--
Are they trying to fix the problem? If they are just replacing the bulb under the 90 day warantee, why are you having to send the unit in each time?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page