post #541 of 2851 Old 12-11-2006, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo View Post

Luck.

The PQ on this pj is KILLER!. (on HD content at it's best.)

But the issues negate all that...

I agree..the picture quality is killer on this projector and HDTV or HIGH DEF DVD"S rule on this projector. I am able to achieve an over 4700:1 contrast ratio and 14FLB's on this projector with new bulb(100hours) in and calibrated using Colorfacts to 6500k from 20IRE to 100IRE with a very even grey scale and perfect gamma at 2.23.

However the flicker is getting worse and have to put it in bright mode to resolve it. It then it goes away and comes back a short time later. I do not have as many sync or start up issues however as I always use the same procedure as described in one of my earlier posts. Projector on first for about ten seconds then turn other equipment on, turn projector off first then turn off other equipment.

Mike

Just one more upgrade honey, I promise!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 2851 Old 12-11-2006, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirithockey79 View Post

upnorth, I appreciate the detailed explanation and it sounds like my issue may fall under your 3rd scenario of the DVD not upconverting. Here's a dumb question: even if I have a DVD player that isn't upconverting (even though it has an hdmi output and should be) is the pj failing to convert to 1280x720 also if the display shows 720x480? Also, I have a Denon 2807, which also upconverts all composite and component inputs. I've tried hooking up the DVD with component to the receiver and hdmi from the receiver to the pj...stil shows 720x480. I've also tried the DVD player directly to the pj via hdmi and component and neither show anything but 702x480. I have Directv coming this Friday to hook up the new HD20 so hopefully my HD will show something other than 720x480. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

Not sure why this is, as it should show 1280X720 if your upconverting in that resolution and 1920X1080i if your upconverting DVD player is set to output 1080i. Is there a menu selection or switch on the back of the DVD player to switch output from composite to component or HDMI? Has the issue been resolved with the new HD20?

post #543 of 2851 Old 12-11-2006, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonikow View Post

OK Guys!

I must say I am really amazed at all these strange issues. I wonder if I am the lucky guy due to the model I have. What does your PJ say on the bottom 7100 or 7300 and what are the serial #'s?

Mine says OPTOMA HD7100

Going through Optoma Canada is a waste of time. They never did anything about H77 and knew nothing about the panning issues, while in US Guitarman managed to resolve it through Optoma and helped many members. I think US and AVS forum is the way to go and get the firmware upgrade.

I agree.. as I have no response yet and the first time I sent it out was no picnic either, as they do not reconize a problem with this projector and it almost feels as if they are blaming the customer for misuse.

I keep seeing posts to the effect: what was Optoma thinking etc.!
THIS IS NOT AN OPTOMA PROJECTOR!!!

It was marketed by them. It is sold under 5 or 6 different platforms from Chiilin Electronics. Optoma will have to get issues resolved with them to help us IMHO. Hence dealing with US or Taiwan is the only option in my opinion. I agree they have little incentive since they don't produce it.

I agree to disagree on this one. While Optoma may not have made the physical projector itself, they did however put their name on it and marketed it as their own and collected the money. In my books that makes them responsible for the problems and issues that may arise with this projector. They are the ones who offer the warranty as well.

Personally I still love mine and it's sad to hear you guys struggle. I come here to get tweaks and max. the performance of the pj, hard to get anything going when it's all about lamp failures.

I have posted my tweaks as well, a few pages back and have updated them recently and will post those settings shortly.

I have my running with 72Hz input at the moment after trying the 48Hz and it's just silly how good the picture is. Smoothest picture I have seen out of DLP so far, an absolute joy to watch. I am seriously thinking of getting a scaler to get more out of it plus I am going with 2.35 setup despite short throw with a screen in 150" size. In Europe a bunch of hi end video buffs with the SDI fed scalers have forgone Rubys in favour of this setup (Prestimage in France). This tells you
something.

Why did you not stick with the 48Hz set up, did it not go well? As I was thinking of trying this set up when I get my new video proccessor for Christmas.

Let's hope you can get the issues resolved

SEE ABOVE FOR MY COMMENTS

Yes, let's hope. I do believe though if we all band together and make our complaints known both in Canada and in the US that we have a better chance of resolving the issue with Optoma.

post #544 of 2851 Old 12-11-2006, 02:14 PM

Hey folks, some potentially good news!

I was perusing the low-end forum and saw that the Pana AX100 guys were seeing a similar lamp flickering problem. Turns out this is a common and relatively harmless issue with all lamp-based projectors. See this link for more info:

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...&&#post5820302

The gist of this is if you see lamp flicker in Eco mode, run the PJ in High Lamp mode for a few hours and the flicker in Eco mode will go away.

I did this myself over the weekend and it seemed to work (So far )

Good Luck

Mike

It's toe-tappingly tragic!
post #545 of 2851 Old 12-11-2006, 10:05 PM

Upnorth,

In my books that makes them responsible for the problems and issues that may arise with this projector. They are the ones who offer the warranty as well.

I completely agree, but it's not what I was referring to. People are posting statements such as: " what was Optoma thinking..." etc. If there are design flaws Optoma line is not where we should look for answers, but rather in all the other variants of Chillin platform.

I have Bravo D1 and I found that 48Hz has some dropped frames here and there, while 72Hz seems to have cleared it out. I think it's probably Bravo, although I will need to see if HD7100 treats the signals differently. The pj still seems to show 48Hz as an input when fed 72Hz, but there is a difference. At the end of the day they are all multiples of 24, so it's all good.

One place where there might be some difference is in the way the color wheel syncs to the frequency it is fed. I will have to do some tests to verify benefits of 48Hz vs 72Hz.

Ultimately when I get my Lumagen HDP I intend to do inverse telecine and feed it 48Hz from the source.
post #546 of 2851 Old 12-12-2006, 09:02 AM

Quote:

Upnorth,

In my books that makes them responsible for the problems and issues that may arise with this projector. They are the ones who offer the warranty as well.

I completely agree, but it's not what I was referring to. People are posting statements such as: " what was Optoma thinking..." etc. If there are design flaws Optoma line is not where we should look for answers, but rather in all the other variants of Chillin platform.

Let's hope we find an answer somewhere. Anyone one here with Asian connections or contacts?

I have Bravo D1 and I found that 48Hz has some dropped frames here and there, while 72Hz seems to have cleared it out. I think it's probably Bravo, although I will need to see if HD7100 treats the signals differently. The pj still seems to show 48Hz as an input when fed 72Hz, but there is a difference. At the end of the day they are all multiples of 24, so it's all good.

One place where there might be some difference is in the way the color wheel syncs to the frequency it is fed. I will have to do some tests to verify benefits of 48Hz vs 72Hz.

Yes, multiples of 24 is where it is at and where we should be looking to go. That is the way that HDDVD and Blu-Ray are going, it's so awsome to be that much closer to analog film quality in a digital realm.

Ultimately when I get my Lumagen HDP I intend to do inverse telecine and feed it 48Hz from the source.

I am getting the DVDO VP30 for Christmas this year..got to love the wife more!! I plan on trying both 48Hz and 72Hz and see which one comes out better. Why did you choose the Lumagen? I looked at it but for the money, price and options you get I chose the DVDO. I do like there product though and the fact that everything on it is user upgradeable. Which model are you getting? Will it do 24Hz frame rate conversion and or 1080p processing or only pass through like the DVDO VP30?

I have the Oppo 971H right now, but have the Oppo 970HD on order with my DVDO as it does 480i out over HDMI and the 971H does not. Do you have calibrating equipment? I have Colorfacts..wife bought for me last Christmas..really need to love her more!! Should be some fun and interesting times ahead, we should stay in touch and compare notes on these two processors and the outcomes we get hooked up to this projector.

post #547 of 2851 Old 12-12-2006, 09:48 AM

I have just finished emailing the customers service representatives for Optoma in all sale/market districts. I have expressed my concerns and that of those on this forum. I have suggested that they check it out for themselves. It took me some time to do. Was it worth it? We shall see. They will likely just think I am crazy and some random wing nut!!

post #548 of 2851 Old 12-12-2006, 10:42 AM
AVS Special Member

^ Nice Work!

Hope something comes from it.

I am starting to see a flicker on my PJ now.

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #549 of 2851 Old 12-12-2006, 10:01 PM

Nice job Upnorth!

Maybe something will come out of it, I know they are working on firmware for HD81, maybe ours will get s/th for Christmas

I think I can get a better deal on Lumagen, DVDO seems pretty expensive. That is the only reason. I'd go with the Gennum processor if it did inverse telecine, but it does not.

No processor for Christmas for me maybe we should do a wife swap...

I did get an anamorphic lens though, can't wait to try it out and see if I can pull it off with HD7100. I only get 2.35 DVD's and love the scope image.

I have Spyder2pro, looking to get s/th higher end in the future such as Eye One.

Happy to compare notes any time. I asked before if someone could look at Spyderman2 DVD bicycle scene and tell me if they get smooth panning, but no one reported back.

I think that H79 has better algorithms due to issues with H77. I think HD7100 DC3 timing algorithms are not as good. I could be wrong since I did not see how H79 pans the same scenes.

I would love to get into a service menu and play around with CWI and see if it helps. To be honest that is the only gripe I have at this moment with this pj. But I also think this is inherent with all pj designs to some degree. I knew how to get into my other pj service menu, but not this one.
post #550 of 2851 Old 12-13-2006, 07:00 PM

i just got my 7100 yesterday. great PQ, im very impressed(used to run a 4805).
No start up problems yet.

I was very suprized at the little lens shift availabe and the offset. my fault i guess for not researching further.

I am shoooting 100" from 9'7" and i had to drop my ceiling mount about a foot, i was really bumed. Is this normal offset for this machine?

Woody
post #551 of 2851 Old 12-14-2006, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdps34 View Post

I am shoooting 100" from 9'7" and i had to drop my ceiling mount about a foot, i was really bumed. Is this normal offset for this machine?

Woody

Unfortunately, yes, this is normal. The lens shift limits you to just a bit past the
top and bottom of the screen vertically and only a few inches right or left of center horizontally. Nothing like what you get with the LCD PJs.

Mike

It's toe-tappingly tragic!
post #552 of 2851 Old 12-16-2006, 07:19 AM

At least it has lens shift. There are a lot of projectors out there, some that cost a lot more than the HD7100 that don't have any lens shift. That was one of the key factors that led me to purchase the HD7100 for my setup.
post #553 of 2851 Old 12-16-2006, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyhigh View Post

At least it has lens shift. There are a lot of projectors out there, some that cost a lot more than the HD7100 that don't have any lens shift. That was one of the key factors that led me to purchase the HD7100 for my setup.

I feel stupid. The lens shift is more than adequate. I was using the horizontal and vertical positioning(overscan) in lieu of the mechanical lens shift controls. I guess the with the lack of a paper manual i dove right in and didnt understand where the len shift controls were. i removed the mount extension and i am very happy.

I have about 40 hours on the machine and had one lamp start problem already.
post #554 of 2851 Old 12-18-2006, 09:12 AM

I received a call from Warren at Optoma USA. He spent about a half an hour on the phone listening to me patiently describe the problems I and others on this forum are having with this projector. He said he would have this information passed on to the engineers and thanked me for bringing the problem to light. At the end of our conversation he said he would call Optoma Canada and escalate my problem up to the top there. He also suggested that he would have the engineers visit this thread and take a read and maybe make some posts of their own. This call happened on Wednesday of last week. Nothing has changed or happened since then. No phone or email replies from Optoma Canada , and I do not think a tech has been on here answering forum questions yet. What is going on here Optoma? Are you ignoring me and all the other forum members that are having bulb issues?

Would love to know what they are thinking, however they would have to respond first in order for that to happen.

post #555 of 2851 Old 12-18-2006, 10:36 AM

New issue same old problem. I reported a few posts back that my second bulb was starting to flicker. I ran the projector in high lamp (bright mode) to eliminate the flicker being seen in the low lamp mode for my viewings last week. With about a three to four hour usage each time, on both DVD and HD TV. This weekend I turned on the projector and was all set to watch a movie when... I turned on the projector first, got the Optoma logo, then turned on the processor, then the DVD player. I had a signal detected and the projector was showing the DVD's movie menu screen. I went to get some snacks and let the projector warm up for ten minutes. I came back and there was no picture on the screen!! I tried to restart several times, finally unplugged the projector and let it sit a few minutes, tried again. Nothing!! I took the bulb out to take a look at it. It is dead; the wire (filament) is busted. It looks grey (ash build up) and white crystallized (like what you would see on a corroded battery terminal) on the upper part near the glass, and the top tip of the glass itself has turned whitish in color. This bulb had a total of 135 hours on it. My first had 280 hours on it, for a total of 415 hours between the two. I have less than 500 hours of use on this new projector and I have gone through two bulbs already. The projector has had more down time than in use time. I do not consider this acceptable at all.

They had better call me soon and deal with this, or this will be the first and last Optoma projector I ever buy or recommend to anyone.

On a side note I am not sure if that by running the projector in bright mode caused the sudden death or if it would have died anyway. I could not live with the flicker, so what choice did I have. However the bright mode should not cause it to die early if everything is working right with this projector. Optoma lists in their manual that the bright mode actually reduces power consumption? Suggesting that this may be the preferred mode to operate the projector in.

I would not try running it in bright mode to eliminate flicker yet, until I hear something back from Optoma on this. You may be eliminating the flicker but instead really shortening the already short bulb life causing a premature failure.

I will let all know when I hear something back from Optoma. I am calling and emailing them again this morning; sending them this very same post.

post #556 of 2851 Old 12-18-2006, 11:10 AM

upnorth,

I'm also on bulb #2. The description of your bulb is exactly what my first bulb looked like. I had less than 100 hours on the first one. I'm at 40 hours on the second. When I spoke w/ them about my first bulb, it was dismissed as a faulty bulb. Let me know if you find out otherwise.
post #557 of 2851 Old 12-18-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db13 View Post

upnorth,

I'm also on bulb #2. The description of your bulb is exactly what my first bulb looked like. I had less than 100 hours on the first one. I'm at 40 hours on the second. When I spoke w/ them about my first bulb, it was dismissed as a faulty bulb. Let me know if you find out otherwise.

Did they give you a new bulb, or just dismiss you and your concern totally, treating it as it was your fault?

post #558 of 2851 Old 12-18-2006, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
upnorth,

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

I remember you from the Hitachi TX200 thread. You initially like that projector very much but became disillusioned and jumped ship. Are you sorry you did? I ask simply because I am contemplating upgrading as well.

Affable Nitwit
post #559 of 2851 Old 12-18-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post

Did they give you a new bulb, or just dismiss you and your concern totally, treating it as it was your fault?

No, they didn't give me a new bulb. I had a second bulb on hand since I purchased the projector when they were offering the free bulb promotion. I ran the projector for around 9-10 hours the day it failed. They said it could've been that or a faulty bulb. Let me know if you find out there is a projector problem. If there is a problem, I feel they do owe replacement bulbs.
post #560 of 2851 Old 12-18-2006, 05:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by db13 View Post

upnorth,

that's the exact same $hit that I went through. to T.

my bulb blew on me at 90 hours. and i am now on 40 hours on my second warrantied bulb.

my lamp was exactly as upnorth described..

this is starting to suck.

definite patern

Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1339743
post #561 of 2851 Old 12-19-2006, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post

New issue same old problem. I reported a few posts back that my second bulb was starting to flicker. I ran the projector in high lamp (bright mode) to eliminate the flicker being seen in the low lamp mode for my viewings last week.

Been there.

Quote:

With about a three to four hour usage each time, on both DVD and HD TV. This weekend I turned on the projector and was all set to watch a movie when... I turned on the projector first, got the Optoma logo, then turned on the processor, then the DVD player. I had a signal detected and the projector was showing the DVD's movie menu screen. I went to get some snacks and let the projector warm up for ten minutes. I came back and there was no picture on the screen!! I tried to restart several times, finally unplugged the projector and let it sit a few minutes, tried again. Nothing!!

Also been there. Three times. Argh.

Quote:

I took the bulb out to take a look at it. It is dead; the wire (filament) is busted. It looks grey (ash build up) and white crystallized (like what you would see on a corroded battery terminal) on the upper part near the glass, and the top tip of the glass itself has turned whitish in color.

Yes! That's exactly what my bulbs looked like after each pj had the same series of problems and ended with a blackout. I've swapped the pj+bulb each time, so there is unquestionably an overall design flaw here.

Quote:

On a side note I am not sure if that by running the projector in bright mode caused the sudden death or if it would have died anyway. I could not live with the flicker, so what choice did I have. However the bright mode should not cause it to die early if everything is working right with this projector. Optoma lists in their manual that the bright mode actually reduces power consumption? Suggesting that this may be the preferred mode to operate the projector in.

I would not try running it in bright mode to eliminate flicker yet, until I hear something back from Optoma on this. You may be eliminating the flicker but instead really shortening the already short bulb life causing a premature failure.

For what it's worth, on my first two pj with the flicker I babied them and did not switch to bright mode. Longest lamp lasted 150 hrs. On the third I had lost patience and ran it in nothing but bright mode from day 1. Lamp lasted 420 hours. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

Fourth pj is supposed to arrive tmrw. Not expecting anything better.
post #562 of 2851 Old 12-19-2006, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adk0212 View Post

Been there.

Yes! That's exactly what my bulbs looked like after each pj had the same series of problems and ended with a blackout. I've swapped the pj+bulb each time, so there is unquestionably an overall design flaw here.

For what it's worth, on my first two pj with the flicker I babied them and did not switch to bright mode. Longest lamp lasted 150 hrs. On the third I had lost patience and ran it in nothing but bright mode from day 1. Lamp lasted 420 hours. Maybe coincidence, maybe not.

Wouldn't it be better to buy a projector that doesn't have all these problems?
post #563 of 2851 Old 12-19-2006, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckken View Post

Wouldn't it be better to buy a projector that doesn't have all these problems?

Of course.

If I could go back in time and undo the $3000 I spent on the Optoma I'd do it in a heartbeat. Seeing as I don't have a time machine, I'm stuck trying to get $3k worth of use out of a pj that, on average, has to be RMA'ed every 60 days.

On an unrelated note, anybody want to buy an HD7100?
post #564 of 2851 Old 12-19-2006, 05:14 PM
AVS Special Member

They should do a recall. or give a lifetime lamp supply.

post #565 of 2851 Old 12-21-2006, 03:54 PM

I received phone calls from both Warren from Optoma USA and Diva from Optoma Canada. I spoke with them again in length about my issues and that of the other forum members. So here is a brief summary of the outcome of that conversation. First the good news (well kind of)! Optoma is going to swap my current unit for a new one after the holidays. It was my choice on the time frame as I do not want to be with out my projector on Christmas morning. However if they would have answered my emails earlier and had not waited almost two weeks to do so, I may have had time to swap the projector out before Christmas. However that is not the case it took almost two weeks of constant emails, phone messages and phone calls for them to answer me. My son and I will want to play his new Xbox 360 and I will want to fiddle with my new DVDO processor. We also plan on watching King Kong in HD over the Xbox 360's add on HD drive. We have seen the movie before, but I want to watch it again in HD and through the processor hooked up to this projector; should be awesome, if the bulb does not die first or during the movie.

They are going to give me 90 days warranty on the bulb that will come (in) the unit. They are going to take my old unit and have it sent out for testing and they promised to let me know the results/outcome of that. They say that the issues I have presented to them have been brought to the engineer's attention. They will be taking care of me on an individual case basis. I suggested that they also visit the forum themselves read the posts and make a few posts of their own to easy the growing concerns and frustrations by other owners. They said that they would visit the forum and that is being worked on.

Now, for the bad news (for me and others). They are not willing to acknowledge at this time what appears to be a wide spread problem with this projector model and or the bulbs. Diva said that he is not aware of an issue with this projector model. Warren said that he sometimes hears of bulb issues with other Optoma projector models and it is a problem that happens with all projector makes and models. They both suggested that the forum members are only a small representation of the total market and that there are many other owners out there with no issues with the bulbs and or with this projector model. They both also suggested that they can not determine the cause of bulb failure and that; there are many reasons why a bulb might fail. Can you say user blame and denial, in one breath?

They are not going to cover my dead bulb at all, I am getting 90 days warranty on the new bulb included with the new unit and that is it. What about my other bulb with a cost value of $300+ dollars?? They went as far as to suggest that they are going out of their way to help me and it is above and beyond what they are required to do under warranty. I do not feel that they offered me anything different than what my warranty covers. I feel that they tried to minimize the cost of the issue with me to as little an amount as possible for them. This does not speak volumes about their customer service, and the satisfying of their customer needs. I asked what happens when this new projector arrives and the bulb blows on the new projector at around 100hours. They responded with, if the bulb is under 90 days they will cover it. So it looks like a new bulb for me every 90 days! Should be nice and bright, especially if I run it in bright mode to eliminate the flicker!! They have also yet to post or respond to other forum members. They are still treating this as if it is a limited problem/issue; namely me! So I guess we are still each on our own for now, and will be dealt with on an individual basis. Can you say cheap and blanket denial in one breath?

What I think we need to do is all band together and call and email Optoma USA and Optoma Canada until they deal with us as a whole and address the forum. Do they not realize that we are customers and will not or may not remain customers for long, if nothing is done? They seem to also fail to realize the weight that the AVS Forum holds. That a lot of their potential customers from all over the world come here to check a particular projector out before purchasing it. What will a potential customer see right now if they check out this thread; I am afraid it does not look good for you Optoma.

Will I still get the support and help (which is what is covered under warranty), after they read this post of mine? I am not worried as I do not think they will visit the site, nor do I think they would care if they did. As I have already discussed this issue to death with them. We will have to wait and see, what happens after the holidays when I get my new projector and supposedly get word back from them on what is wrong with the old projector. I do however still hope Optoma proves me and all the forum members wrong and acknowledges with a blanket admission of bulb issues with this projector, and issues a projector recall or bulb replacement program. I guess I still have hope and feel that way because the Tooth Fairy just visited me and I know Santa is coming to see me in a couple of days!

I will be updating my website over the holidays and will post my full review of this projector with screen shots and calibrations made. I do not feel inclined to hold back on the negative comments I have to make on this projector or on Optomas customer service support at this time. Last projector review I posted on my site created over 6,000 visitors and views. Gee, I wonder if that is a big enough market segment for Optoma to be concerned with over potential customer loss? For my self I will likely be moving on to a different projector, which will not be an Optoma. I would have loved to hang on to this projector for another year, but not willing too at this level of cost and frustration.

Anyone want to buy a new/used projector? With a dim flickering bulb in it and a dead spare bulb, with less than 500 hours total use time on the projector?

I sent this to both Diva & Warren as well before I posted it here, (brave huh..or stupid..not sure which yet) giving them time to respond. I have received no repsonse, which is exactly what I expected.

Happy Holidays to all forum members!!
Optoma (Scrooge) you better make this right, before it is the death of this projector model, and the three ghosts of Christmas come and take this market segment away from you!!

post #566 of 2851 Old 12-21-2006, 03:58 PM

Quote:

Of course.

If I could go back in time and undo the $3000 I spent on the Optoma I'd do it in a heartbeat. Seeing as I don't have a time machine, I'm stuck trying to get $3k worth of use out of a pj that, on average, has to be RMA'ed every 60 days.

On an unrelated note, anybody want to buy an HD7100?

I agree and would do the same now if I could; as it looks like this will be the road I am soon to travel as well.

post #567 of 2851 Old 12-21-2006, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo View Post

They should do a recall. or give a lifetime lamp supply.

I agree the should initiate a 100hr use or 90 day which ever comes first lamp replacement policy.

post #568 of 2851 Old 12-21-2006, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawguy View Post

upnorth,

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

I remember you from the Hitachi TX200 thread. You initially like that projector very much but became disillusioned and jumped ship. Are you sorry you did? I ask simply because I am contemplating upgrading as well.

I am not unhappy that I jumped ship. This DLP projector has excellent black levels, no AI, no vertical banding and no color uniformity issues. I however am not totally happy at the moment with the particular issue that this projector seems to have with eating bulbs. If they fix it then, I will be most satisfied and have nothing to complain about. If not I will switch to another projector and it will more than likely be a DLP projector.

I can not recommend this projector at this time based on the bulb issue, stay tuned to see if the issue gets resolved before purchasing this one. If the issue gets resolved then I would give it my full recommendation and a go ahead on the purchase of this projector.

Why are you planning to switch from LCD to DLP, same issues?

post #569 of 2851 Old 12-21-2006, 04:18 PM

Quote:

Nice job Upnorth!

Maybe something will come out of it, I know they are working on firmware for HD81, maybe ours will get s/th for Christmas

I think I can get a better deal on Lumagen, DVDO seems pretty expensive. That is the only reason. I'd go with the Gennum processor if it did inverse telecine, but it does not.

No processor for Christmas for me maybe we should do a wife swap...

I did get an anamorphic lens though, can't wait to try it out and see if I can pull it off with HD7100. I only get 2.35 DVD's and love the scope image.

I have Spyder2pro, looking to get s/th higher end in the future such as Eye One.

Happy to compare notes any time. I asked before if someone could look at Spyderman2 DVD bicycle scene and tell me if they get smooth panning, but no one reported back.

I think that H79 has better algorithms due to issues with H77. I think HD7100 DC3 timing algorithms are not as good. I could be wrong since I did not see how H79 pans the same scenes.

I would love to get into a service menu and play around with CWI and see if it helps. To be honest that is the only gripe I have at this moment with this pj. But I also think this is inherent with all pj designs to some degree. I knew how to get into my other pj service menu, but not this one.

I will look at Spidey 2 over the holidays and let you know.

post #570 of 2851 Old 12-21-2006, 04:23 PM

Quote:

Been there.

Yeah I have no confirmation from Optoma to report on wether running the projector in bright mode or economy mode will hurt it or help it. So I guess just pick one mode or the other and take your chances.

I will run my bulb in my current machine in bright mode over the holidays and see what happens. I will likely try running my new replacement projector and bulb in high mode as well, based on your experience. What do I have to lose, if they are giving me 90 days warranty on the new bulb?

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page