Official Optoma HD7100, HD7300 + HD3000 Scaler thread. - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 2851 Old 01-22-2007, 04:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All, Ive been following this thread for some time now. I purchased an HD7100 from visualappex on 12/18/06 and its still on back order. It looks like I will loose the $400 rebate. So based on the information in this thread I was thinking of cancelling my order and purchase the Benq8720 instead. Im building an attic home theater with the following specs. 14.6' wide 20' long with 8/12 pitch to a 4ft wide ceiling 8.5 ft high. My first row seating will be approx 9.8 to 10ft from the screen, second row w/10in riser. The screen is a bright white with a 1.2 gain 100in diagnal. Will the benq work with my seating distance and screen size? I will be watching HD tv and movies on a upconverted dvd player and possible computer hook up. Is the quality of the benq worth the extra few hundred $? I would appreciate any input.
Thanks
Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 2851 Old 01-22-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Go for the BQ/ it was my main choice... but when i got my 7100 it was $6000.00

now it is the same price I paid for my HD71.

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #633 of 2851 Old 01-22-2007, 04:33 PM

Well believe it or not Visualapex just sent me an email telling me my HD7100 just shipped. I hope this thing works as it should. Am I in trouble?
post #634 of 2851 Old 01-22-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

^ the 7100 delivers a killer picture.

it has problems tho.

the flickering I thought was a defect. but it is normal for all mercury arc lamps.

except infocus.

Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #635 of 2851 Old 01-23-2007, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attichometheater View Post

Well believe it or not Visualapex just sent me an email telling me my HD7100 just shipped. I hope this thing works as it should. Am I in trouble?

Don't be worried. What you are reading here is from a select group of people who are having problems with their lamps not lighting or having flickering problems. I am one of those who have problems with my lamp not lighting from time to time. However, I will say that the projector delivers a picture that is nothing short of spectacular. You will be very happy indeed with the projector. I'm sure their are a great many owners of this projector who never see any side of this projector except for the one that throws an amazing image, has lens shift that virtually no other PJ offers, and is available at incredibly competitive prices. If you do wind up being one of us who has problems, well, you know where to come to try to find a solution. Until that time though, if it ever even happens, sleep well and enjoy a truly amazing picture.

-Flyhigh. 1000+ hrs on 1 bulb. Multiple no lightoffs though. No flickering.
post #636 of 2851 Old 01-24-2007, 04:07 AM

Thanks for the post. A friend of mine purchased one and it does look amazing. Oh ya the price is right. I started to build my home theater in my attic a few weeks ago. Its a slow process trying to convert a 140yr old attic into a modern home theater but its going to be awsome. Ill post some pre construction pics as well as some progress pics. Can someone give me some hints on screen height from floor and projector distance from screen. I'll be sitting approx. 10ft from a 100" white 1.2 gain screen. The ceiling height is 8.5ft. and I do not mind using a drop bar on the mount. Im just not sure how far to drop it.
Thanks
post #637 of 2851 Old 01-24-2007, 06:29 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the post. A friend of mine purchased one and it does look amazing. Oh ya the price is right. I started to build my home theater in my attic a few weeks ago. Its a slow process trying to convert a 140yr old attic into a modern home theater but its going to be awsome. Ill post some pre construction pics as well as some progress pics. Can someone give me some hints on screen height from floor and projector distance from screen. I'll be sitting approx. 10ft from a 100" white 1.2 gain screen. The ceiling height is 8.5ft. and I do not mind using a drop bar on the mount. Im just not sure how far to drop it.
Thanks

Yours sounds like a near clone of my setup. I have an 8' ceiling, 98" screen and sit about 10.5' away. The screen (below the frame) is 9" below the ceiling making for a very comfortable viewing angle, add 6" to that for your situation. My screen, a DIY, has no gain, this is something I want to look into in the future. You can take a look at my setup here:
http://www.pbase.com/rking401/image/69561841 (this picture is a composite of two images)
or here: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/image/69952315
The evolution of my set up can bee seen here: http://www.pbase.com/rking401/my_home_theatre
post #638 of 2851 Old 01-24-2007, 06:35 AM

Your theater looks great. Cant wait to finish mine. Thanks for the tips.
post #639 of 2851 Old 01-24-2007, 07:02 PM

attichome......My HD7100 shoots an AMAZING picture onto a Carada 118" BW screen. A videophile friend of mine has a 60" Sony SXRD XBR and he is green with envy. Wonderful, saturated colors, great blacks, and all the brightness you'll need. Get the biggest screen that will fit, you won't be sorry. 220 hours on the bulb and everything working perfectly (knock on wood). Can't imagine a 1080P for thousands more could be much better

6 weeks and no rebate check, yet.
post #640 of 2851 Old 01-25-2007, 06:15 PM

Cowboy how close do you sit to the screen? Im thinking of a 100in screen from 10 feet away.
post #641 of 2851 Old 01-26-2007, 07:55 AM
FGM

Quote:

Cowboy how close do you sit to the screen? Im thinking of a 100in screen from 10 feet away.

I watch DVDs from 10ft on a 92" screen with no SDE.
post #642 of 2851 Old 01-26-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:

I sit between 11' and 12' away from the 118" screen. However, I can sit as close as a touch over 8' back and still not see any screen door effect. For a 100" screen, seating that is 10' away will be ideal. For the full immersion effect you can scoot as close as 7.5' and suffer little SDE, IMO.

I had second thoughts before my 7100 arrived, but once it was set up a running it was home theater nirvana. Calibration out of the box was very good and a little tweaking with data from those on this board made it better. I think the inputs can be found on page 17 or 18 of this thread.
post #643 of 2851 Old 01-29-2007, 05:54 PM

I installed my first HD7100 in Nov. Quite shortly I discovered that the pj did not always fire the lamp on power up. Often the pj would shut itself down after about 5 min. Powering up right after that always worked normally. I contacted Optoma and they quickly agreed to an RMA for the pj. However, I wasn't willing to be without it so I waited for another pj to be available for an advance replacement. The new pj was swapped out with the original one one week ago.Within two days the new pj had the same problem, only worse. I had to unplug it once. Then I found this forum and discovered that this was not an isolated problem. Very discouraging. I am pondering my future moves.

With respect to the rebate, I received mine in 10 weeks. I called after 8 weeks and was told that the check was on the president's desk (sorta like "your check is in the mail").

I will say that my dealing with Optoma on the initial return was courteous and prompt. Can't believe that I want to go through the swap to a 3rd pj.
post #644 of 2851 Old 01-30-2007, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Just have 1 source turned on. when you start the PJ. it seems to help.

post #645 of 2851 Old 01-30-2007, 09:12 AM

I have all sources turned off until I see the Optoma logo and the bug in the lower right corner indicate "searching". No fire up problems so far. I did have the bulb go dark once after the projector had been on for several hours, the last hour on full bright. Turned everything off and then successfully fired it up again.

These pjs are not TVs, don't expect complete consistency of operation. There seems to be considerable variability of reliabliltiy between given units. I guess swapping out until you get a good one is the way to go.
post #646 of 2851 Old 01-30-2007, 11:39 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo View Post

Just have 1 source turned on. when you start the PJ. it seems to help.

Probably a DVI/HDMI source would be best. You ever notice how the PJ's first looking at DVI, it's looking for the scaler box. So maybe having the DVI signal on might help. Also don't shut down or unplug if the PJ doesn't start right up, wait it out and a few mintutes later it will fire the bulb on it's own. Mine did that once in a while but it would recycle on it's own and fire up with no problem.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #647 of 2851 Old 01-30-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo View Post

I did some reading and found that the flickering is a issue for almost all Pj's.

It is how the lamps work.

I never noticed on my screenplay cuz they have measures built in to eliminate it.

Yes it is normal to have some flicker, however, early bulb death is not normal nor is it exceptable.

Just one more upgrade honey, I promise!!
post #648 of 2851 Old 01-30-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnorth View Post

Yes it normal to have some flicker, however, early bulb death is not normal nor is it exceptable.

How Goes it upnorth?

any progress with Optoma?

post #649 of 2851 Old 02-01-2007, 07:49 AM
FGM

Can anybody help in finding the access code to the service menu on the HD7100? Perhaps somebody with contacts with the ISF community?
I have already tried Bruzzi's post here and quite a few commercial providers w/o any luck.
I'll be willing to pay for the service manual if available or to contribute paying for the info leading to the the service menu if required.
Are there any other users interested in accessing the service menu?
Thank you.
post #650 of 2851 Old 02-03-2007, 10:46 AM

Start up problem again

I have started to keep a log of each time I turn on my PJ and any problems I have. A pattern is starting to emerge for the PJ not starting up correctly. It looks like once it starts up correctly, it will fire 8 more times correctly, but on the 9th time it fires 2 or 3 times before it works right, then 8 more good starts, then a series of misstarts again. It looks to me like we have two separate problems at work here. One is a problem misreading the firmware that prevents the computer from compleating its start up procedure but allows the bulb to fire, then turns off the bulb, waits, then tries to start up again ( and again). The other problem is a reliability problem with the bulb causing premature burn outs, and flicker. I have 205 hours on my bulb at 80 days of use, with no problems with it so far, only the boot up problem. Has any one else noticed the periodic behavior of the boot up problem?
post #651 of 2851 Old 02-03-2007, 02:44 PM

Yes! I have had the no or reboot problem since about the 55 hour point. Im now at about 110 hours and approx. 7 "misfires" as I call them. Optoma's "Stephen" says this is progressive and will lead to complete projector failure at some point. My compliments to Optoma for the honesty! Many have had this happen to one degree or another though. Some have returned their units only to receive a worse behaving unit. Some are on their third and fourth exchange. I would like to see some feedback posted here now on this particular issue: Have you had or do you have any problem start-ups with your Optoma HD7100? Solved at some point? Post your experience, please. Im 26 days past the 90 day ownership point so I apparently dont qualify for a "brand new" replacement....only others returned problems or "refurbs"(corporate double-speak for "Lets give em a second (third?) whirl..")... Is everybody feelin lucky? I love this projector, but im not at this point a totally happy customer. Yes, there are other issues..but not right now. I think this is THE deal breaking main problem to get resolved (or not) which is likely linked to the chronic lamp life problem.
post #652 of 2851 Old 02-03-2007, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhdrh View Post

Yes! I have had the no or reboot problem since about the 55 hour point. Im now at about 110 hours and approx. 7 "misfires" as I call them. Optoma's "Stephen" says this is progressive and will lead to complete projector failure at some point. My compliments to Optoma for the honesty! Many have had this happen to one degree or another though. Some have returned their units only to receive a worse behaving unit. Some are on their third and fourth exchange....

is the Stephen that you refer to Stephen Cha. He quickly gave me an RMA when I reported the start up problem and I did an advance replacement. The new pj exhibited the same problem, perhaps worse. I talked to the Tech Support Manager at VisualApex where I purchased the original pj and, after reviewing my home theater equipment and installation, suggested that I might have an electrical power problem and recommended that I try plugging the pj into another circuit. I did this. The pj failed to start on the 2nd try, but I have now had 12 consecutive normal power ups (it was failing once in every two or three power ups before the change in circuits). I have an electrician coming next week and he will install two new circuits to my A/V equipment "closet" with one dedicated to the pj. I will report how this goes but I am "cautiously optimistic" at this point. Like you, I love the images this pj produces and would like to find a way to keep it.
post #653 of 2851 Old 02-03-2007, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

it don't matter how many Pj's you get.

they all inherently have the same problem

post #654 of 2851 Old 02-05-2007, 07:46 PM

Is anyone using any type of equipment to get Picture in Picture (PIP) or Picture on Picture (PoP) working with the HD7100? I am getting D*'s new HR20 HD DVR and will be keeping my existing H20 HD receiver so I will have two separate HD sources. I'm looking for a cheap way to get this functionality. Does anyone have any suggestions?
post #655 of 2851 Old 02-06-2007, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

I am running all HD sources. but haven't thought about doing that.

I have a B*Verly 9200 DVR with dual tuners. PiP works fine there

post #656 of 2851 Old 02-07-2007, 06:32 PM

While D*'s HR20 can tape 2 shows at the same time, and watch a third if it is OTA, it can not do PIP . I'll need to use some other box to get PIP but I don't know what to use.
post #657 of 2851 Old 02-13-2007, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, this thread is getting quiet

I thought I'd spice it up a bit with some new info. I have been searching and searching for Service level access to adjust CWI index. After about 3 months of looking around the world, I finally found a way to get in, thanks to our German friends at Metavision plus our friends in Taiwan. There is not that much in there, but there is service level color adjustment and CWI index as well as selection of the world standard ie. NTSC,PAL etc. One thing that's really nice is the test patterns build into the service menu that show off how good the lens is on this unit.

I will post the sequence as soon as I nail it, at this time I wasted about 3 hours of lamp time to get in even with the help, I think there is a keystroke or two that might be off. Stay tuned!

Mike
post #658 of 2851 Old 02-13-2007, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Sounds good Mike!

My Optoma H78DC3 just died two weeks ago. The unit would start and run for a while and then the red light would come on and the image would just disappear from the screen. Once this pattern started, it reoccurred regularly and I sadly had to return it to the store that rhymes with 'Moscow'.

So, now I'm deliberating between the JVC RS1 and the HD7100. I'm scared to purchase the JVC sight unseen given that I haven't viewed LCOS before. I'm used to DLP and especially the exceptional images that Optoma projectors can deliver when they aren't being temperamental.

Anyone have any advice for me about whether I should take a chance with either of these projectors??

Wayne
post #659 of 2851 Old 02-13-2007, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
my 7100 just died and wont fire . about 100 hours on it i was watching it for about a hour and than it just went black not pop not flicker just dead . it does power on and i can hear it trying to start im assuming the bulb etc died . great and im just at 90 days. yes i have had the start up problem but hooking up a dvi source all but cured it . i guess i was wrong . this sucks .i cant wait to hear what visual apex and optoma have to say.
post #660 of 2851 Old 02-13-2007, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey Wayne!

I have a special place in my heart for you mate
After all I did get that H57 because of you!

Sucks about the H78, but you got it from Moscow so you should be covered.

If you have the $$$, go with RS1, I will when I do. The idea of spending that kind of $$$ though is scary at this time.

Now for the HD7100. There are no rainbows with this sucker. Running it at 48Hz at 6x speed color wheel. The picture is sharper than H78 by a good margin to me. Blacks are solid and I love the color pop in dark scenes.

I think for the money this thing is hard to beat: 48Hz, no rainbows, sharp as a tack optics, and over 650 ansi contrast (better than RS1)

Now people seem to have problems with these, so that is s/th you got to figure out if it's worth it for you. I got 750 hrs+, starting to get occasional start up misfire, but I just wait and all is good.

Let me know what you decide!

Mike
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page