post #721 of 2851 Old 03-14-2007, 08:42 AM
FGM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
[quote=mystery]Sam,

PHP Code:
 I'm wondering if anyone's tried unplugging the projector when not in use. 
Wayne,
I do unplug the whole thing every time when finished. I don't know if it has helped at all but since I switched to a DVI input about 2 months ago, I have not had a single incident of misfiring. I am on manual source selection mode.
The pj is now climbing to the 500 hours mark!! I"ll keep my fingers crossed.
Good luck.
Fermin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 2851 Old 03-14-2007, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Mike,

I'd like to get the video processor for it but can't afford one at the moment. I'm not bothered by artifacts for the most part though so maybe the VP would be overkill for me, especially since I consider the image of the HD7100 to be basically perfect now after calibration and close to perfect OTB. Thanks for your feedback on the shootout. This is my 5th DLP in a row (I've never owned anything else either) and the thought of switching technologies frightens me since I've seen LCD and don't like it but I understand that LCOS is another thing entirely. I guess I'd have to demo one myself to compare and see if it's for me.

Fermin,

Very interesting. I'll keep the unplugging trick in mind if this problem crops up again. It's been stellar since the weekend with no start up problems in 6 tries now since Sunday.

I wonder what Optoma is going to do next after the HD73 has been out a while? I think they need to incorporate lens shift into another model and not just the HD7100.

Wayne
post #723 of 2851 Old 03-16-2007, 06:28 AM

i received this unit yesterday. worked great....... for 15 minutes. Looked awesome out of the box. dvd looked great then the light just went out. No changes/ adjustments. When I turn it on, the fan kicks on for a few seconds then I hear a kinda of crackling(not sparking) the light never comes on. I therefore dont know if there are any error messages. there wernt any beofre it went out. Will i have to send it back? the manual doesnt help and Optoma only offers email support(wtf?) with a 24-48 hr turnaround time.
post #724 of 2851 Old 03-16-2007, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Try unplugging it and then replugging it into either the same or a different outlet. Did you allow the projector to warm to room temperature after taking it out of the box?

If this doesn't help then it sounds like you're a candidate for a hot swap.

Wayne
post #725 of 2851 Old 03-16-2007, 03:23 PM

warmed to room temp.
tried unplugging it.

RMA time I guess(sigh)

btw- for anyone needing real time support for Optoma
888-289-6786
choose tech support option and hold after the recording tells you to go to the website.
post #726 of 2851 Old 03-18-2007, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Gee View Post

warmed to room temp.
tried unplugging it.

RMA time I guess(sigh)

btw- for anyone needing real time support for Optoma
888-289-6786
choose tech support option and hold after the recording tells you to go to the website.

did the same crap on mine.

it aint the PJ. it's the LAMP. don't bother RMA the whole unit.

just get another lamp.

10:1 pull out ur lamp, and the filament will be broken.

i got a new lamp, and am onto 400 hours+ .

So Far... So Good... So What!
Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #727 of 2851 Old 03-21-2007, 01:36 PM

I am close to reaching 200 hours and just had another instance of the bulb not turning on until its third automatic retry. Heard a bunch of crackling sounds before it fired up on the third retry also. I hope this bulb makes it.
post #728 of 2851 Old 03-21-2007, 10:50 PM

I haven't checked my time on the bulb in a while but I was over 1000 hrs a few months ago so I'm probably close to 1500hrs now on the original bulb. I haven't had a problem with the bulb not lighting off in several months. In the past, I was plagued by this issue. For those of you who are having this problem, here is what has been working for me:

-I'm running HDMI to DVI from my Yamaha RX-V2600 receiver to the PJ (25ft Bluejeans Cable)
-Harmony 890 RF remote
-I found that by introducing a slight delay with the Harmony remote, so that the PJ turns on in sequence before my Receiver does, I drastically reduced the number of instances where the "bulb failed to fire"
-When it "failed to fire", I found that even though my screen was dark and even though I may not have even gotten the Optoma logo, the bulb had in fact fired. It just didn't appear that it did because no image was shown, not even the logo. In these instances, I would be forced to wait for the PJ to recycle itself. It would turn itself off and then back on again after waiting about 3-5min.
-On the rare occasion that this happens now (since adjusting to have the PJ come on before the source) I realize that the bulb is most likely "on" and that the problem is poor software in the PJ that is finicky about how it handles the signals the PJ receives.****Try This**** Next time you get one of these light off problems, cycle through your inputs (go from DVI to PC to Component and back to DVI). See if you notice the text in the bottom right that tells you "searching for signal" If it does, well you need a lit lamp to give you that image don't you? When you get back to DVI you should have a full working image, maybe try one more cycle. If you don't, next try changing sources. Try going from your TV source to Xbox or DVD for example. Anything that would change the input type (HDMI source to component source into your receiver) That should do it. Then go back to TV or whatever you want.

I know it shouldn't have to be this way, but it's been a few months now using this workaround and I haven't had that anxiety about whether the PJ will start up or not. I know that if it doesn't, I can ALWAYS fix the problem now with a couple of button presses. It's not like I have a unit that is immune to this problem. I'm one of the guys who was really bashing Optoma early on in this thread for a lack of support on this bulb issue. It still sucks that we can't just get a firmware update to fix this. Let me know how this works for you guys and PM me if you want a clarification.

BTW. Look forward to not losing any noticeable brightness when you guys hit 1500hrs! Still an amazing picture. I'm happy now, no thanks to Optoma
post #729 of 2851 Old 03-22-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I noticed all the problems effecting my projector went completely away after 350 hour mark.

no source problems, false starts or flickering.

good stuph. must have just been broken in.

Unlock Your Samsung PNxxD550 series 5 plasma to achieve Expert 10 point Calibration and Expert Patterns.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #730 of 2851 Old 03-22-2007, 12:15 PM

Just to confirm what was said above, my 7100 has misfired a few times as well, and every single time the bulb lit up just fine. I think this problem is getting mis-characterized as a bulb strike failure when it is not.

My guess is that whatever sensor they are using to determine if the bulb is lit is no damn good.

Mike

It's toe-tappingly tragic!
post #731 of 2851 Old 03-23-2007, 07:07 AM

I have 340 hours on my 7100 now, and I also have had a number of "misfires", and each time the bulb has lit too, which happens usually every 7 to 12 times I turn it on although as many as 20. My guess is that the computer has failed to boot correctly. I think it is caused by a power problem, voltage fluxuation, or noise on the line. I did notice that when I turn on my 7x110 watt receiver, the lights on that circuit dim! What I am trying now is to not turn any other equipment on until the PJ is up and running. I also bought an APC SmartUPS (uninteruptable power supply) for the PJ. This is working so far. I have not had a "misfire" since I got the ups going, although it has only been 25 turn ons so far. This PJ has such a great picture, it is a shame to have these problems ruin our enjoyment of it.
post #732 of 2851 Old 03-27-2007, 07:02 AM

Last night while distracted by other matters, I turned on my receiver before the PJ had finished booting up, and sure enough, the PJ "misfired". I am now confident that the receiver is the cause of my PJ problems. What surprises me is that the uninteruptable power supply did not prevent the interference as I had hoped. I will have to be more careful about my start up procedure, and see if that really is the solution.
post #733 of 2851 Old 03-27-2007, 06:15 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
my new projector has worked perfect . the original went out at 100 hours . got it back still not working correctly . got a new unit even starts faster has not droped out . now tonight when i fire it up it will probalbly blow up now that i have siad that.
post #734 of 2851 Old 03-31-2007, 11:44 AM

High Temperature Fault

Last night in the middle of the finale of "Saving Private Ryan" My 7100 stopped dead indicating the lamp was too hot. The manual says to check the filters are not clogged, however, I can't find any mention in the manual of how to access the filters or how to clean them. They only show cleaning the external ventilation holes with a vacumb cleaner. Of course neather Optoma or my dealer have any service staff on the weekend. Can anyone help on this?

Thanks
post #735 of 2851 Old 04-11-2007, 09:17 AM

I have just over 250 hours now. The picture has always looked sharp and I do not think it can be beat for the price.

Havent had any false starts since 150 hours so hopefully it is good now.
post #736 of 2851 Old 04-13-2007, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Here in canada most Vendors cite the HD7100 as being Discontinued.

FFS Optoma, it isn't barely 1 year old.

post #737 of 2851 Old 04-14-2007, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Is anyone using Toshiba's HD-A2 successfully over HDMI/DVI to the HD7100? I'd like to know if this projector does the handshake since there seems to be some trouble syncing with the earlier HD-A1 unit.

If the HD-A2 works consistently using HDMI then I may return my RCAHDV5000 (HD-A1) and pick the second generation model up.

Thanks for any insight into this.

Wayne
post #738 of 2851 Old 04-14-2007, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

I use the A1 and it works fine. Over component just can't upconvert. *bigdeal*

besides. HD DVD is going to lose the war

I also got a PS3, and it has no problems.

post #739 of 2851 Old 04-15-2007, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post

Is anyone using Toshiba's HD-A2 successfully over HDMI/DVI to the HD7100? I'd like to know if this projector does the handshake since there seems to be some trouble syncing with the earlier HD-A1 unit.

If the HD-A2 works consistently using HDMI then I may return my RCAHDV5000 (HD-A1) and pick the second generation model up.

Thanks for any insight into this.

Wayne

I have no problems with connectivity from the A2 to Lumagen HDQ to HD7100. Before adding the Lumagen, I had a Gefen HDMI switch and that worked, too.
post #740 of 2851 Old 04-15-2007, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks guys.

I bought the HD-A2 yesterday and it works on my HD7100 over HDMI/DVI. There's a bit of snow before the handshake for a few seconds and then the image pops in nicely. I'm using a Monoprice switcher HDX-501 (5 x 1). One thing I noticed is that when I switch to another HDMI input and then go back to the HD7100 it takes a minute or so before the image is restored. The screen is black until the signal reconnects. No problem. I'm just glad to not to HAVE to use component. I see a difference between HDMI and component and appreciate having the choice. I guess the RCAHDV5000 is going back. Just couldn't get an image over HDMI/DVI no matter how hard I tried.

Got a good deal on the HD-A2 as it was an open box and didn't come with a remote. So I used the remote from the RCA unit which works perfectly on any HD-A1 to program my Logitech Harmony 659. So even though I don't have a remote for the HD-A1 I now have all of the capabilities of that remote through the Harmony thanks to the RCA remote.

Rented 12 Monkeys. Disappointed in the image quality.

Wayne
post #741 of 2851 Old 04-18-2007, 09:25 PM

Wayne,

Nice!! Glad to hear that you've finally got HD DVD in digital to the 7100. Sure beats component, eh?

Exgo,

Is your PS3 going to the 7100 using HDMI/DVI? Or just thru component?

Sam
post #742 of 2851 Old 04-19-2007, 04:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Sam!

I saw a good deal on the HD-A2. I like it better than the A1 so the first generation model is going back. After all that eh?

What's the news on the BenQ??

Wayne
post #743 of 2851 Old 04-22-2007, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso_Corsa View Post

Wayne,

Nice!! Glad to hear that you've finally got HD DVD in digital to the 7100. Sure beats component, eh?

Exgo,

Is your PS3 going to the 7100 using HDMI/DVI? Or just thru component?

Sam

no problems with PS3 at all.

post #744 of 2851 Old 04-24-2007, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXgo View Post

no problems with PS3 at all.

But what I'm asking for the 2nd time is whether you're doing component or HDMI, which is a make or break for me.

So, component from PS3 or HDMI from PS3?

Thank you!
post #745 of 2851 Old 04-25-2007, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

HDMI, no problems at all!

I am using th HDA1 with component. and the Colorspace looks just as good as with HDMI (which also works). it just doesn't handshake when upscailing dvd's.

upscailing dvds is soo overrated. when you see a HD DVD or BD. it blows every conveivable thing away in every single aspect of normal DVD's.

300 bux for a hd dvd player. and 2000+ for a decent upscailer.

do da math.

post #746 of 2851 Old 04-25-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:

I am using th HDA1 with component. and the Colorspace looks just as good as with HDMI (which also works). it just doesn't handshake when upscailing dvd's.

upscailing dvds is soo overrated. when you see a HD DVD or BD. it blows every conveivable thing away in every single aspect of normal DVD's.

do da math.

Perfect, thanks Exgo!
post #747 of 2851 Old 04-30-2007, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Ok here goes. Who has Calbirated this Display with the HD DVD of DVE?

post #748 of 2851 Old 05-07-2007, 10:33 AM

Maybe it's just me, but the image looks to my eyes perfect except for minor tweaks to brightness, contrast, etc. Beyond that, I have not been tempted to play with the image at all.

On an unrelated note: Last Friday I was watching a flick and the projector popped and went dark. The warning light was flashing, and I assumed that the bulb just blew. Turns out that it had just overheated, and the bulb was fine. (If getting a bit dim now.)

Unfortunately I didn't discover this until last night, so my PJ was running 48 Hrs straight!

Just an FYI for the rest of the 7100 owners.

Mike

It's toe-tappingly tragic!
post #749 of 2851 Old 05-11-2007, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
just a follow up my new unit starts everytime and very fast. none of the old ones work as well as the new unit . 3months and no miss fires etc . keeping my fingers crossed
post #750 of 2851 Old 05-11-2007, 06:46 PM
FGM

Quote:

do da math.

Thanks for posting the info.
Do you know what color space this projector uses to display a SD signal from a DVD? An upscaled signal from a SD DVD? A HD signal from a HD DVD?
Is there any one with access to the service manual? Any leads as to how/where to obtain it?
Thanks.
Fermin
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page