FGM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

Hi rking,

Yes, that is the very question I've been wrestling with. I'm surprised by your response, given what I've read of your troubles. This PJ must be every bit as good as I've heard when its on and working.

I'm a pretty low-hours viewer, but I'd predict that to change if I made an upgrade to something like an HD7100. I have a 30" CRT HDTV for casual viewing but would rather shift many casual hours on the CRT into fewer quality hours on a better projector.

I'm not sure I want to take the chance on getting a bad HD7100. I haven't read many reports of problem-free units. For me, the process of dealing with warranty service, shipping both ways, etc., might be more trouble than its worth. Maybe if just the bulbs end up going...that I could deal with (under extended warranty), but I don't know if I want buy myself this much frustration. Not to mention, some such warranties have a limit on the number of replacement bulbs. I think I may have to leave the HD7100 to braver souls, for now.

How many of you have either initially or through warranty service arrived at a solid unit?

My unit has been great for the longest time of its near 800 hours of use. At the beginning I was concerned with the bulb firing up/or not syndrome. But I now just enjoy the terrific projector this is even if at over 3 times the price it can be obtained for now.
Those in search of a great projector at a great price need look no longer, in my opinion.
Just find and keep the firing up/turning off sequence that work best for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 2851 Old 10-08-2007, 04:41 PM

Hi. So i was all ready to buy a 7100 a few days ago, after i sold my ae900u, and thats why i am writing to you all. I loved the way the h79 looked at a demo i saw 2 years ago, but it was 6k back then and instead opted for the panny.

Now i'm having second thoughts about buying the "h79 replacement" (the hd7100) b/c i keep reading about the Marantz 4001(a little better than the sharp3000), and the new ax200 panny being soooo good (same price ranges). Can someone please talk me into pulling the trigger for the optoma vs these other two pj's? the 7100 is the cheapest at 1k, then panny 1.3k, then marantz 1.5k. I dont have any placement issues/dont care about lens shift. I have a 106" greywolf screen (fixed mounted myself).

Has anyone seen the 4001/ax200 that has a 7100? Are the differences in pq that great?

Thanks
post #903 of 2851 Old 10-08-2007, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

mkoss,

I just reverse the startup procedure in order to shut 'er down. I turn the pj off first and then the other components. I always use the remote as opposed to the buttons on the pj and the HD7100 rests in standby mode when it's off. I'd have to unplug it from the outlet to really turn it off and I never do that.

tubaprde,

Don't buy the H79. It will put out a phenomenal image for a short while and then you'll start having bulb issues. Optoma has had a ton of problems with it's H77, H78 and H79 projectors due to premature bulb failure at typically only a few hundred hours. My H78 lasted between 600 and 700 hours before the bulb died and that was with an elaborate cooling system of fans that I rigged up in order to cool it down. Besides, the HD7100 is far, far superior to the H78 that I had and it was a terrific projector other than the bulb problem.

Who knows? You may get lucky but I'd stay away from any of the Optoma H7xx series projectors, especially if it's used.

Wayne
post #904 of 2851 Old 10-08-2007, 05:26 PM

The Marantz is $500 more (50%). Does it have a DLP DarkChip3 like the Optoma HD7100? I didn't find it in the Marantz specs so I don't think it does.
post #905 of 2851 Old 10-08-2007, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post

mkoss,

I just reverse the startup procedure in order to shut 'er down. I turn the pj off first and then the other components. I always use the remote as opposed to the buttons on the pj and the HD7100 rests in standby mode when it's off. I'd have to unplug it from the outlet to really turn it off and I never do that.

tubaprde,

Don't buy the H79. It will put out a phenomenal image for a short while and then you'll start having bulb issues. Optoma has had a ton of problems with it's H77, H78 and H79 projectors due to premature bulb failure at typically only a few hundred hours. My H78 lasted between 600 and 700 hours before the bulb died and that was with an elaborate cooling system of fans that I rigged up in order to cool it down. Besides, the HD7100 is far, far superior to the H78 that I had and it was a terrific projector other than the bulb problem.

Who knows? You may get lucky but I'd stay away from any of the Optoma H7xx series projectors, especially if it's used.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne! Its great to hear that the best pj image i've ever seen has been surpassed by a pj that cost 1k!!
post #906 of 2851 Old 10-08-2007, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowboyCurtis View Post

The Marantz is $500 more (50%). Does it have a DLP DarkChip3 like the Optoma HD7100? I didn't find it in the Marantz specs so I don't think it does.

You've brought up a very intersting point. That is, yes the Marantz vp4001 is a dc2, but: both projector central and projector reviews have said the image on the Sharp XV-Z3000 is superior to that of the hd7100--and the Sharp XV-Z3000 is the same as the Marantz vp4001, except that the marantz has better optics!

pr: "Of the projectors out there selling for under $3000 this Sharp is definitely one of my favorites. It's ability to produce black levels rivalling other DLP projectors that use the Darkchip3 processor instead of its Darkchip2, plus excellent color out of the box, and lots and lots of usable lumens, make it one of my two favorite projectors in the price range. The other, would be Optoma's HD7100, which uses the Darkchip3. I should note that I believe the Sharp outperforms the Optoma at both black levels and shadow detail. The Optoma, has, going for it, lens shift, so it is a far, far more flexible projector in terms of placement, but if that wasn't an issue, I would favor the Sharp. "

pc: "The Sharp Z3000 and Optoma HD7100 are close to the same resolution and in the same same price bracket of roughly $3000.
The HD7100 maxes out at 552 ANSI lumens when properly set up for home theater use. Contrast is rated at 5000:1, and the DarkChip3 makes for some truly impressive black levels and shadow detail. The Z3000 can reach 1143 ANSI lumens at its brightest setting. At more reasonable home theater settings (low lamp mode and medium iris), it still pumps out 506 ANSI lumens. It is also rated at 6500:1 contrast, in part due to the iris system. In head-to-head testing, it became clear that the Z3000 was capable of higher lumen output than the HD7100 as well as better contrast, though reaching those two levels simultaneously is nigh impossible. However, when we matched the lumen output of the Z3000 to that of the HD7100, the Z3000 showed definite higher contrast and deeper black level.

With the Z3000, you gain brightness and contrast, as well as image flexibility. The Z3000 can be a bright "Sunday afternoon" projector, or a high contrast home theater projector, depending on need. The HD7100 gives greater placement flexibility, at the expense of lumen output. Both offer excellent image quality around $3000 street, and certainly deliver the "wow" factor associated with high definition projection. "

Anyone have a take on this? What does this mean for the better optic marantz? Has anyone seen the xv-3000/vp4001 in action vs the 7100? Guitarman maybe?

p.s. the marantz refurb prices are 1k now...
post #907 of 2851 Old 10-08-2007, 05:49 PM

Now the problems will really start.... I am at exactly 666 hours.
post #908 of 2851 Old 10-08-2007, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FGM View Post

My unit has been great for the longest time of its near 800 hours of use. At the beginning I was concerned with the bulb firing up/or not syndrome. But I now just enjoy the terrific projector this is even if at over 3 times the price it can be obtained for now.
Those in search of a great projector at a great price need look no longer, in my opinion.
Just find and keep the firing up/turning off sequence that work best for you.

800 hours of reliability..that's encouraging.

I don't know. Lens shift would be handy and yet I'd rather not risk getting a dud or two. Really, I'm waiting for the sub-$1500 720p DLP with lens shift, 2x zoom, and enough light output flexibility to be usable with some ambient light. Basically, all the advantages of competing LCD models. The HD7100 gets about 1.5 of those 3 wish list features.
post #909 of 2851 Old 10-08-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah View Post

800 hours of reliability..that's encouraging.

I don't know. Lens shift would be handy and yet I'd rather not risk getting a dud or two. Really, I'm waiting for the sub-$1500 720p DLP with lens shift, 2x zoom, and enough light output flexibility to be usable with some ambient light. Basically, all the advantages of competing LCD models. The HD7100 gets about 1.5 of those 3 wish list features.

Huh,thats funny, i count more like 2.5/3, its very birght 900+actual lumens, has lens shift, has some zoom--i guess it could have 2x zoom, but that just takes away your brightness.
post #910 of 2851 Old 10-09-2007, 09:05 AM

Incredibly fortunate to have a selection of projectors that throw great images on the screen, at these prices. The introduction of so many 1080P models has put pricing pressure on all 720P pjs. Funny thing is the 1080Ps costing several times more won't give much in the way of better PQ if any improvement at all over the Marantz/Sharp or Optoma. Plus the 720ps we've been discussing are probably putting out more lumens than most 1080Ps.

Tubaprde......thanks for the bits re the Marantz vp4001/Sharp Z3000 vs. the Optoma HD7100, excellent DD.
post #911 of 2851 Old 10-09-2007, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The Marantz is $500 more (50%)..

I know I'm not supposed to be doing this- but if you read the last ~4-5 pages of the Marantz thread, you can see how to narrow that margin by quite a bit with a coupon code.

We should now halt our discussion of street pricing before the hammer comes down.
post #912 of 2851 Old 10-09-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Incredibly fortunate to have a selection of projectors that throw great images on the screen, at these prices. The introduction of so many 1080P models has put pricing pressure on all 720P pjs. Funny thing is the 1080Ps costing several times more won't give much in the way of better PQ if any improvement at all over the Marantz/Sharp or Optoma. Plus the 720ps we've been discussing are probably putting out more lumens than most 1080Ps.

Tubaprde......thanks for the bits re the Marantz vp4001/Sharp Z3000 vs. the Optoma HD7100, excellent DD.

Sure, np guys! Also, the Sharp was rated at twice the actual ansi lumens than the optoma on pr. ~1500 lumens for the sharp...mmmm, that is it big deal for me too b/c i want pj that i can whatch football on with some lights...and have great black levels for my semi-bat cave, ---having my cake and eating it too---harharhar
post #913 of 2851 Old 10-11-2007, 06:49 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone start and remove total power from their 7100 each time they use it? If so do you experience bulb misfires if you follow your start up sequence the same?

The reason I ask this is because of mysteries success at his powering sequence.
His pj is always returned to standby and not totally powered off.
post #914 of 2851 Old 10-11-2007, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member

My projector arrived on Tuesday....

The image... what can I say... it is stunning. I fed it some 720p HD signals from an HTPC via HDMI DVI out with one to one pixel mapping... it takes your breath away. Guitarman was right... it puts out an awesome image.

So far I am extremely happy with the projector. Lens Shift is a real plus. I probably wont have to move the mount I used with the Sony HS51.

Thinking of getting a three a MACK warranty for under $100 as a second insurance.

mkoss, my power up sequence is source (DVI) followed by projector and projector followed by source on power down. After the fan turns off the blue light is solid, I turn off the power to all equipment, including the projector.

No misfires yet.

Got to go and watch stuff.
post #915 of 2851 Old 10-12-2007, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gireesh View Post

The image... what can I say... it is stunning. I fed it some 720p HD signals from an HTPC via HDMI DVI out with one to one pixel mapping... it takes your breath away. Guitarman was right... it puts out an awesome image.

So far I am extremely happy with the projector. Lens Shift is a real plus. I probably wont have to move the mount I used with the Sony HS51.

Thinking of getting a three a MACK warranty for under $100 as a second insurance.

mkoss, my power up sequence is source (DVI) followed by projector and projector followed by source on power down. After the fan turns off the blue light is solid, I turn off the power to all equipment, including the projector.

No misfires yet.

Just 1 clarification. The projector is in standby and not powered down when you turn on the source,correct?
post #916 of 2851 Old 10-12-2007, 07:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gireesh View Post

No misfires yet.

Forgot to add.

What does the Mack Warranty buy you beyond the projector warranty and the GE 1 year and 3 year bulb warranty? Athough 1 thing comes to mind is that the 3 year bulb warranty only covers 1 bulb replacement I believe. So if it dies early then 2nd bulb is unwarrantied unless you have a second warranty.

What do you use as a HTPC?

I received my unit this week. I've been sorting through this thread just to give myself some assurance I won't have any problem in powering the unit. The boss(wife) doesn't know I have it so I will need to be cautious in getting to use it. This sucks I know.
post #917 of 2851 Old 10-12-2007, 12:23 PM

I am new to all of this projector television talk.

We recently bought a home and the HD7100 came with it. Since we have moved in we have had to replace the lamps twice. The last one is actually being replaced by Optoma. I spoke to a repair person and he said it could be the ballast's need replaced.

Does anyone know where to get replacement balssast's?

Thanks,

Mort_ATO
post #918 of 2851 Old 10-12-2007, 06:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mort_ato View Post

I am new to all of this projector television talk.

We recently bought a home and the HD7100 came with it. Since we have moved in we have had to replace the lamps twice. The last one is actually being replaced by Optoma. I spoke to a repair person and he said it could be the ballast's need replaced.

Does anyone know where to get replacement balssast's?

Thanks,

Mort_ATO

You will need to go to the manufacturer. If it's under warranty they should replace it or the pj. They should be willing to exchange the projector hopefully. Read this thread about powering up and down. It's important.
To much information to relay unless you read others comments first.
post #919 of 2851 Old 10-13-2007, 06:57 AM
FGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoss View Post

Does anyone start and remove total power from their 7100 each time they use it? If so do you experience bulb misfires if you follow your start up sequence the same?

The reason I ask this is because of mysteries success at his powering sequence.
His pj is always returned to standby and not totally powered off.

Pls. see posts # 875 and 901. No more misfires for me.
Cheers.
post #920 of 2851 Old 10-13-2007, 09:11 AM

I'm thinking about buying this projector since the price has gone down dramatically, but I don't have an upconverting DVD player yet. Does anyone know if this projector does any upconversion of standard DVDs over component cable? Thank you.
post #921 of 2851 Old 10-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGM View Post

Pls. see posts # 875 and 901. No more misfires for me.
Cheers.

Going back at looking at my original post 875 I did not state things as clearly then about my logical sequence.

Putting the projector on is a 2 step process ie powering to stanby and then powering the bulb. Same thing powering down. powering down the bulb(allowing
cooling cycle to finish) then powering down the projector.

Those out there correct me if I'm wrong but powering the PJ to standby,then powering the source, and then then bulb is the correct startup sequence.
Likewise powering down requires letting the bulb go through it's cool down cycle first,then powering down the source or cutting power to both source and pj.

Since the 7100 is in standby with the ac chord attached some people are always starting in that mode and leaving it in standby when not in use,never
cutting power totally to the pj.
post #922 of 2851 Old 10-14-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyg1418 View Post

I'm thinking about buying this projector since the price has gone down dramatically, but I don't have an upconverting DVD player yet. Does anyone know if this projector does any upconversion of standard DVDs over component cable? Thank you.

The 7100 does not upconvert dvds. I have a Sony dvp s75h upconverting dvd player that does a remarkable job. I feed the dvd player and a DirecTv H20 high def box, each by an HDMI cable, into a Monoprice remote control switch box,. The switch box is hooked into the 7100 by a single HDMI/DVI cable. It works great and was inexpensive.
post #923 of 2851 Old 10-14-2007, 02:54 PM
FGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyg1418 View Post

The HD7100 converts the signal to its native resolution: 1200x720, and it does a pretty good job at it; however, some upconverting players could do better. You can certainly drive the HD7100 with a non upconverting dvd player in 480i or 480p.
In other words, you do not need to buy an upconverting dvd player to enjoy this projector or any digital projector for that matter.
post #924 of 2851 Old 10-15-2007, 06:25 AM

Thank you cowboycurtis and FGM for your replies about my question of upconversion... so it seems like it does some upconversion, but perhaps not as good as an upconverting DVD player.
post #925 of 2851 Old 10-17-2007, 08:18 AM

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this forum. I have read the entire thread on the HD7100 and can't seem to find an answer to my issue. I used to own the Optoma HD72 and just upgraded to the HD7100 from Costco.ca at $1379 plus taxes. Great bargain!! I have the projector ceiling mounted and I am projecting to a Laminate Designer White 110" screen. The picture is stunning, however like someone else mentioned the left top to bottom of the picture is about 4" bigger than the right top to bottom picture. I am using lens shift, but have no keystone corrections at this time. I tried the keystone corrections also, but to no avail. Any help you can lend would be greatly appreciated.
post #926 of 2851 Old 10-17-2007, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 16
Horizontal keystone means your lens isn't exactly shooting straight to the screen. Left sides bigger, your shooting off to the left.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?
http://www.videodementia.com/sales/TomWithWires.jpg
post #927 of 2851 Old 10-17-2007, 09:24 AM

at <$1,000 now retail price, this seems like kind of a no-brainer for my new HT setup.

This would be my first HD front projector. I'm coming from a 56" DLP Rear projection unit.
With those simplistic facts stated, why shouldn't I pick this unit up for $999?

*edit: from what I've read, the bulbs in these units seem to show a problematic trend. is this a somewhat widespread issue?

this forum is dangerous to your wallet
post #928 of 2851 Old 10-17-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post

mkoss,

tubaprde,

Wayne

i love posts like this. straight forward "do's and do not's". This is the kind of input that HT newbs need from those in the know.

this forum is dangerous to your wallet
post #929 of 2851 Old 10-17-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

dhoomdhoom,

Like Tom (Guitarman) said, it's just a simple matter of slightly adjusting your HD7100 so that it's evenly facing your screen. Right now you have it so that the side of the pj opposite the taller image is further away from your screen than the other side of the pj. Just turn your pj a bit towards the larger image side of the screen and you'll even things up.

bagwellfive,

Unfortunately there have been issues with some folks and their HD7100. I'm not one of them but I do feel for them that's for sure. Mainly due to this thread I was keenly aware that I was taking a chance by buying this projector but the descriptions of the sharp short throw lens, well calibrated out of the box images, great contrast ratio and horizontal and vertical image shift seduced me into taking the risk. I'm not sorry I did. Best pj I've owned in the 4.5 years I've been enjoying this hobby and I've owned 5 altogether.

Thanks for what you said about my post. I was once a newbie myself. This HD7100 is now cheaper than most flat panel displays and to me is the way to go until the still way too expensive 1080p projectors become as affordable.

What I especially love about the HD7100 is the excellent flesh tones straight out of the box. I had to work REALLY hard with my last projector, the Optoma H78DC3 to get faces right. Foreheads would be red and cheeks pink for instance. Drove me crazy! HD7100? Almost perfect as soon as I saw the first images and although I still calibrated it, very little adjustment was necessary and I could have just done nothing and enjoyed it.

Wayne
post #930 of 2851 Old 10-17-2007, 01:29 PM
AVS Special Member

@mkoss,
My power up goes like this:
(1) UPS is turned on, this supplies power to the PC and the projector, both in standby mode
(2) PC is turned on, begins to boot, DVI port is active
(3) Projector is turned on, DVI signals are being fed to it already

Power Down Sequence:
(0) PC shutdown begins, emitting DVI signals
(1) The projector is switched off (Power, Enter), still receiving DVI Signals, goes to standby with a loud roar for the next few minutes
(2) PC completes shutdown sequence
(3) Projector enters standby, solid blue ring
(4) UPS is powered off

I am thinking of MACK 3yr warranty for two more bulbs, that is all.

I built my HTPC. It has following components if you are interested:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/giga_69g/
Corsair TWIN2X2048-6400 2GB Kit DDR2-800 XMS2-6400 Xtreme Performance Memory
AMD Opteron 1212 Dual-Core Processor
Microsoft X-Box 2 USB HD-DVD Drive
Twinhan 3250 ATSC Tuner Card

It serves as an up converting DVD player, HD Tuner, and scaler for legacy content.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page