post #181 of 2851 Old 07-09-2006, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rking401 View Post

I kept trying this one because it fit in the exact same spot where I had my former InFocus x1 mounted. I NEEDED the short throw. Looks like anything else that I get will require more holes in the ceiling and patching existing holes, not to mention a whole new batch of cables and AC wiring.

Has anyone here been successful in using this projector with a computer? I am attempting to test it using my laptop, which should be a plug and play type situation (after setting up the computer for two screens). Everytime I plug in the computer the bulb shuts down and stays down for several minutes. When it comes back it works fine on component #2 input, but still won't show the computer. I had previously used my X1 many times with the computer to give various presentations (a use to which I wasn't planning to use this projector for).
I have no idea at this point.

I have a HTPC that works fine with DVI, I'm looking around for a VGA cable to test a laptop. Projector fired right up this morning. I had it down a couple of days using my HT1000 for classic movies.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 2851 Old 07-09-2006, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
rking

Sorry to hear about the problems you're having with this pj. I sympathzise with you, though. I have an H77 that had to be replaced 3 times before I got a unti that worked properly. I have to say though that the times that I dealt with Optoma, I was always treated well, so I can't say anything bad about their customer service - just their QC. How has your experience been with them during this ordeal?
post #183 of 2851 Old 07-09-2006, 12:11 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:

How has your experience been with them during this ordeal?

So far I have simply exchanged the bad units for new ones with AVScience (this forum's sponsor, where I purchased). I have had no contact with Optoma so far. This one is going to go back for a refund and I am no longer going to consider Optoma.
post #184 of 2851 Old 07-09-2006, 12:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I got no signal using a laptop thru VGA, projector didn't turn off though.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #185 of 2851 Old 07-09-2006, 12:59 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
rKing, sorry to hear it man. My h57 was great. I know Optoma's can produce awesome pictures, WHEN THEY WORK.......! They REALLY need to get their act together IMHO!

d

post #186 of 2851 Old 07-10-2006, 04:46 PM

Well, I tried another computer through the projector and all seems to be working properly. I am typing this while using my 98" monitor and all "seems" to be well. I guess I will hang on to this one and keep the fingers crosse.

By the way, my first video source off the computer through the projector was this: http://mfile.akamai.com/18566/wmv/et...srb_camera.asx It is amazing to watch. A shot from a camera mounted on the shuttle's external tank. Check it out.
post #187 of 2851 Old 07-10-2006, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Cool clip.

Thanks!

Now a Certified Carpet Counselor and Plumbing Counselor (Self given titles - pay no attention).
Enjoying my "almost done" theater.
post #188 of 2851 Old 07-11-2006, 12:21 PM

Does anyone have any calibration tips/results they can post? I see that kind of information all over other PJ threads but not in this one. Is there anything a DIY'er can do? How do I know if I even need it to be calibrated in the first place?

Thanks, I'm just trying to get the most out of this brilliant PJ.
post #189 of 2851 Old 07-11-2006, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

The out of box grayscale is very good. Just tune things up with a calibration DVD, Avia, DVE etc. Take a look at a gray box pattern you'll see the steps of gray are very steely gray in tone. Not much to do there.

Pick the 6500k temp and gamma 2.2 also.

One thing I found out this morning is my JVC/DVD recorders output is PC video level because setting the Scaler box to 7.5 crushed out the blacks. No moving black bars to be found no matter what brightness level. I switched the scaler box to 0IRE vs 7.5 and the bars came back. You won't hv that problem with many other devices though. Using the Panasonic S97 in Normal 7.5 video mode I'll get no black crush, most other players also.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #190 of 2851 Old 07-13-2006, 09:10 AM

The color and tint adjustments are greyed out. Is this due to the fact that I'm using HDMI/DVI or do I need an external scaler or something else to make adjustments to color and tint?
post #191 of 2851 Old 07-13-2006, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Hi FLyHigh, It sounds like My optoma h57, you have to use the RGB level adjustments to set color and tint. Wasn't in my manual either... Good luck

post #192 of 2851 Old 07-13-2006, 09:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just tuning the brightness and contrast s/b good enough over DVI with the HD7100. Do you see color problems?

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #193 of 2851 Old 07-16-2006, 06:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Tom,

My distributor for the Optoma projectors lists the 7200 as requiring dealer certification to buy and resell but not the 7100. My salesman didn't know why this would be. His answer that Optoma sometimes was unpredictable didn't make sense. Do you have any idea why. It makes me wonder about the 7100 and its true position in the product line.

Jack

Jack
post #194 of 2851 Old 07-19-2006, 10:06 PM

What about obvious functionality problems? I have an HD7100 that wont remember input settings for some reason. Its a major pain in my A$$

PS just read rking401 posts and OH CRAP I am in the same boat. This HD7100 was having some of the same problems not showin an image through the VGA input. The lamp would fire up but no pic.

I think the HD7100 might be a POS and who knows the way optoma comes out with new projectors as fast as they do and are quick to upgrade and disscontinue units that work just fine we may see the HD7100 scrapped very soon. Optoma seems to not want to work out problems when they make new machines a realese crap, then do up grades when they figure things out and call them new models then two weeks later completly disscontinue a projector for no reason.

Heres another question. Why the hell didnt they put BNC connectors on the HD7100 like they did on the top of the line H77 and H79? I thought that was awsome on those projectors and with all the room on the HD 7100 it should have been a no brainer. What no one uses external scalers any more?

OPTOMA, you guys need to get your "Sh*T together. Im not selling any more of your products for a while I think. STOP experimenting with new projectors and get the ones on the market working 100% before you come out with any thing new ok!
post #195 of 2851 Old 07-20-2006, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

This is officailly off my short list. I'm gonna check out the Benq8720 threads.
post #196 of 2851 Old 07-20-2006, 11:14 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

Tom,

My distributor for the Optoma projectors lists the 7200 as requiring dealer certification to buy and resell but not the 7100. My salesman didn't know why this would be. His answer that Optoma sometimes was unpredictable didn't make sense. Do you have any idea why. It makes me wonder about the 7100 and its true position in the product line.

Jack

Just got back from Vegas = late reply. You mean the HD7300 but I don't think Optoma will sell to anyone that doesn't open an account. Everything has to be accounted for.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #197 of 2851 Old 07-25-2006, 10:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

"What about obvious functionality problems? I have an HD7100 that wont remember input settings for some reason. Its a major pain in my A$$"

Are you talking about user color adjustment settings? Or is it the not remembering the last signal you were on when you closed out the last viewing session? The PJ starts up looking for DVI because it's looking for the scaler.

I find hitting the button for the signal I want works pretty well, I aim the remote at the ceiling close to the PJ.

I'm trying a CRT projector for the first time. Man popping on the HD7100 after viewing the CRT is an eye opening experience. The HD7100 reminds me very much of the 56"JVC DLIA TV I have. The image just sizzles with brightness and color saturation. Nice machine the HD7100 I could live with this one for a good amount of time.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #198 of 2851 Old 07-25-2006, 07:42 PM

Quote:

I find hitting the button for the signal I want works pretty well, I aim the remote at the ceiling close to the PJ.

I find that I have to wait for a couple of minutes before it will accept the input command from the remote. I also find that I have to press it at least twice for the projector to respond. I also find that it comes up on the correct input about 25% of the time (if I'm lucky). Like I said, if I didn't need the short throw lens I would be screaming for my money back. I don't recommend this for ANYONE not needing the short throw. Great picture, lousy functionality.
post #199 of 2851 Old 07-25-2006, 08:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Like I said mine sails thru nice and easy. I got House going just this second, HDTV on comcast the picture is more than stunning. The best contrast/black level/clearity/saturation I've seen to date on a digital projector. It's a keeper Now I know you have to be seeing what I'm seeing. Yes I have calibration equipment but the machine barely needed it. Whoa I just looked up at the image, whoa mamma! You can't recommend this?

Aim the remote at the ceiling just in front of the PJ lens, it should pick up the beam instantly. I think the other member was complaining the PJ starts with DVI, I don't find that a deal breaker issue do you?

come on now

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #200 of 2851 Old 07-25-2006, 09:16 PM

Guitarman--
What model CRT projector are you trying? I'm considering the HD7100 and you having both technologies for comparison could be of help. Sounds like you feel the CRT is not bright enough. Is that right?
David
post #201 of 2851 Old 07-25-2006, 10:15 PM

Quote:

Aim the remote at the ceiling just in front of the PJ lens, it should pick up the beam instantly. I think the other member was complaining the PJ starts with DVI, I don't find that a deal breaker issue do you?

The remote works just fine, the projector won't respond to it until it has been on for a period of time. If the remote was a problem the projector wouldn't turn on, it does that just fine, then won't respond when I try to go to the component input until it has been on for a minute or two. I agree 100% on the picture quality. It is excellent. It is just terribly frustrating to not have it come up on the last active input (which if designed properly it should). I will probably end up having to do a reprogram of my Harmony remote to include a two minte delay and then change input. The problem with this is that during that delay the remote can't do anything else, including adjust volume if it happened to be too high when last turned off. This is, by the way, my third unit. The other two had two different problems which I discussed on other posts in this and other threads. It just doesn't appear to be ready for prime time to me. I LOVE the picture though. Because of the functionality problems though I would probably go elsewhere if I didn't have to replace all my cables (or find my misplaced cable stretcher) and put more holes in the ceiling of my living room. Sure, it's a RELATIVELY minor complaint (this time), but it is a very frustrating one. Once it's on and switched to the proper input I LOVE it.
post #202 of 2851 Old 07-26-2006, 08:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cox View Post

Guitarman--
What model CRT projector are you trying? I'm considering the HD7100 and you having both technologies for comparison could be of help. Sounds like you feel the CRT is not bright enough. Is that right?
David

I have a Dwin HD-700. A/b comparison showes me the HD7100 digital has you not wanting for black levels vs the CRT. The brightness and ANSI contrast on the HD7100 is not minor in comparison, maybe 20times more intense.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #203 of 2851 Old 07-26-2006, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rking401 View Post

The remote works just fine, the projector won't respond to it until it has been on for a period of time. If the remote was a problem the projector wouldn't turn on, it does that just fine, then won't respond when I try to go to the component input until it has been on for a minute or two. I agree 100% on the picture quality. It is excellent. It is just terribly frustrating to not have it come up on the last active input (which if designed properly it should). I will probably end up having to do a reprogram of my Harmony remote to include a two minte delay and then change input. The problem with this is that during that delay the remote can't do anything else, including adjust volume if it happened to be too high when last turned off. This is, by the way, my third unit. The other two had two different problems which I discussed on other posts in this and other threads. It just doesn't appear to be ready for prime time to me. I LOVE the picture though. Because of the functionality problems though I would probably go elsewhere if I didn't have to replace all my cables (or find my misplaced cable stretcher) and put more holes in the ceiling of my living room. Sure, it's a RELATIVELY minor complaint (this time), but it is a very frustrating one. Once it's on and switched to the proper input I LOVE it.

I think mine may be like that on start up I'll test it. When I start I see a flash of the Optoma HD Lifestyle logo which I wish would just stay on while it's warming up. After that I'll see the DVI input logo and it's getting brighter so it's still warming up. Maybe the PJ needs to be fully warmed up before you start changing inputs.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #204 of 2851 Old 07-26-2006, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting comparison between the CRT and the HD7100 Tom!

Don't let the CRT fanatics find out about this though. You'll never hear the end of it.

Wayne
post #205 of 2851 Old 07-27-2006, 02:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Tom (guitarman): is the 7300 out yet? Is it significantly better than the 7300? Also, can't find out if it has the same lens, throw, etc., as the 7100. I don't think there is a dedicated '7300 thread' yet, is there?
post #206 of 2851 Old 07-27-2006, 03:10 PM

Bill, the 7300 is the 7100 with the stand alone processor.
post #207 of 2851 Old 07-27-2006, 03:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinla View Post

Bill, the 7300 is the 7100 with the stand alone processor.

Tom, this had been my understanding, but then on PJC I noticed that the CR was listed as 6000:1 for the 7300, but 5000:1 for the 7100, suggesting that the 7300 might have some differences from the 7100. ???
post #208 of 2851 Old 07-27-2006, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

They're suggesting the scaler control options can add to the contrast. And it can the BW-enhancement/expansion can really liven things up.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

post #209 of 2851 Old 07-27-2006, 04:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Sounds good.
post #210 of 2851 Old 07-27-2006, 04:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post

Interesting comparison between the CRT and the HD7100 Tom!

Don't let the CRT fanatics find out about this though. You'll never hear the end of it.

Wayne

Yep I'm trying to be fair because it's a excellent technology (old analog) DLP's have gotten so good and they're just easy.

I spent 12hrs setting up the CRT. Harry Potter 1 and AVP do look excellent on it, but also look good on the HD7100.

Tom/guitarman
VideoDementia

Are you twisted also?

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page