Official DLA-HD10K owners thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 88 Old 06-30-2006, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Well it's finely here and I only got to spend a small amount of time playing because I had to go to work. I will give my quick down and dirty first impressions and add in-depth later. Open the box and I see a small cheap looking remote. My first thought was that it's a secondary remote. It is very small and cheep looking for a $15,000 (or a $59.95 CD player for that matter) projector. I will say that it works well is back lighted and is very ergonomic. The projector itself is absolutely beautiful with great fit and fantastic finish. It truly looks great and extrudes high end by its appearance alone. The hookups are recessed and might be a little tough for people with big fingers. I fired it up feed 1080p 60Hz (from my HTPC) and the picture synced up but it had tears a was very wobbly. Try as I might adjusting porch, sync, and other settings I could not get it stabilized. Finely gave up and tried 48Hz and perfect (50Hz also). Since I plan to use 48Hz 95% of the time I will try to figure out 60Hz later (maybe tonight). Only had a few minutes of screen time and it is still daylight so I can only give basic impressions. The picture is super smooth, very non digital, and film like which is what I like about DILA. It seems to be a fair amount brighter (off axis) than my G11 but since I changed to a HP screen it is hard to tell. Can't wait until I get home to night to fire up and test.

I will also edit this thread and add links and other info to help present (or there any others) and future HD10K owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 06-30-2006, 10:14 PM
wm
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
William,

What cable are you using and how long is it? 1080p/60hz pushes DVI to the limit. This sounds like a cable problem.

William

wm_avs6 (at) meier-phelps (dot) com (Note - new address! Please do not use AVS PM)
---
Optimized by William PhelpsÂ
post #3 of 88 Old 07-01-2006, 04:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm View Post

William,

What cable are you using and how long is it? 1080p/60hz pushes DVI to the limit. This sounds like a cable problem.

William

My cable is a 50' optical so I know it not the cable (also tested on my HP 2335 monitor at 1080x1200 60Hz). I ran Spy Sweaper before I went to bed last night and the HTPC locked while reading a ATI video file. So I may have a corrupt file related to my drivers. I'm going to download the latest Catalyst drivers today and see if that works.

My cable is a 50' optical so I know it not the cable (also tested on my HP 2335 monitor at 1080x1200 60Hz). I ran Spy Sweaper before I went to bed last night and the HTPC locked while reading a ATI video file. So I may have a corrupt file related to my drivers. I'm going to download the latest Catalyst drivers today and see if that works.

Also let me know the most ideal time that works best for you to send my HD10K. Although it looks like you already did it.
post #4 of 88 Old 07-01-2006, 08:17 AM

Congrats William! I hope you enjoy the projector. It is truly an awesome machine. You have got to watch real 1080i/p sources with it (try INHD or INHD2). The color is absolutely unreal! I finally got a chance to use the serial port on my Meridian 800/861 so I'll try it on my projector and let you know my findings. I can't wait for my screen to come in. I'll basically be done by next week or the week after. My rack and cables should all be in soon and I'm just waiting for my screen.

I've ordered a Purelink OC (black fiber optic) DVI-DVI cable. It's similar to the one that you purchased. I'll let you know how that goes as well.

Kudos and congrats!

Best regards,
Chris

Excessive? Never.
Emotion counts more than convention.
It's not a question of need, it's a question of want.
post #5 of 88 Old 07-01-2006, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChoi83 View Post

Congrats William! I hope you enjoy the projector. It is truly an awesome machine. You have got to watch real 1080i/p sources with it (try INHD or INHD2). The color is absolutely unreal! I finally got a chance to use the serial port on my Meridian 800/861 so I'll try it on my projector and let you know my findings. I can't wait for my screen to come in. I'll basically be done by next week or the week after. My rack and cables should all be in soon and I'm just waiting for my screen.

I've ordered a Purelink OC (black fiber optic) DVI-DVI cable. It's similar to the one that you purchased. I'll let you know how that goes as well.

Kudos and congrats!

Best regards,
Chris

I removed Catalyst and 60Hz now works great even though 48Hz will be the standard to completely avoid Bob. Next I'm going to remove PowerStrip and reinstall Catalyst. I have over a 150 trailers of TS, Quick Time, Divx, and WMV that are 720p, 1080i, or 1080p. The picture is fantastically smooth, vibrant but still very non digital and film like plus it's almost too detailed, even before William's calibration. The problem I see now is that DVD (and even many OTA HD sources) don't look very good compared to high qulity 1080p metrial because of the huge deference in PQ exposed by the HD10K. The deference was not near as dynamic on my G11U. One caveat I have with my cable is that it's orange and looks like a cheep extension cord (I must run it on the floorboard). Wonder if there is a way to paint it black? I have the Gamma Wizard and may play with. I just don't want to mess anything up.
post #6 of 88 Old 07-02-2006, 01:59 PM

William,

Question: How are you planning on mounting your HD10K? I have to mount mine inversed and the only manufacturer that I could find is Premier Mounts (http://www.premiermounts.com/product...75&partID=1304). I have to wall mount mine (wall bracket and arm to pj plate) because above my drop-ceiling it's all steel I-beam and steel girders/trusses. There is NO WOOD. Thus my only options are:

1. Solder/weld a pipe to the ceiling.
2. Mount it using a wall mount and arm(s).

I prefer use the latter method for it's ease and simplicity. Welding a pipe is easy but undoing any mistakes is not. Not to mention that if I had to remove it and remount the pipe, it would be a major PAIN. The mounting plate for the HD10K is the same as the MF1 afaik but do you know any other companies that have this? Peerless and Chief do not have it on their site and neither does Omnimount.

BTW, RS232 control of both projector and processor work without a hitch. I used Hyperterminal set at 19200bps, 8 data bits, no parity, 1 stop bit and no flow control. Your HD10K SHOULD support this. If you need anything else, let me know.

Mr. Phelps,
I am thoroughly enjoying the Optimized Experience. I have a question about the DVP1080MF scaler/vp. What is the difference between high-bandwith and full-bandwith modes and why is it that I can't select screen ratio when it's in full-bandwith? I notice a slight loss in sharpness/detail and saturation in high-bandwith. I need to be able to use the Letterbox mode for 2.35. Any suggestions/comments?

Excessive? Never.
post #7 of 88 Old 07-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

CChoi,

Have you heard of devices called 'beam clamps'? There are a number of easy ways to attach to steel beams and girders which do not require drilling or welding. Drop me a note if you'd like to know more.

Cheers,

Tom Stites
"Speaking only for myself...."
post #8 of 88 Old 07-02-2006, 04:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

CChoi83

I have a Da-lite high power screen which requires the projector to be mounted as close to eye level as possible. I have an old audio stand that I'm using (pic below). I temporarily stacked a couple of shelves to raise it up. I still get head shadows if I don't recline and set straight up. I have a friend who does wood work as a hobby and is going to build me an extension to set it on.

I got the JVC Gamma Wizard and it works fine except it would not turn the power off for some reason. I will give Hyperterminal a try later on.

I also can't wait to have mine back from William but don't look forward to sending it (being without).

post #9 of 88 Old 07-02-2006, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstites View Post

CChoi,

Have you heard of devices called 'beam clamps'? There are a number of easy ways to attach to steel beams and girders which do not require drilling or welding. Drop me a note if you'd like to know more.

Cheers,

Yes, I know of the clamps but location of the I-beams are not in the vicinity of where I want to place my projector. That is the problem. Thanks though.

William, I see your point (no pun intended). BTW, what sources are you feeding it? It's odd because when I first got it, I hooked it up directly to my Meridian 800v4 and it worked without problems. The thing is, the HDMI card on my 800 outputs max. 1080i, not 1080p. I'm using my scaler now so it's outputting 1080p/60 to the pj. Strange.

-Chris-

Excessive? Never.
post #10 of 88 Old 07-02-2006, 05:52 PM
wm
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CChoi83 View Post

Question: How are you planning on mounting your HD10K? I have to mount mine inversed and the only manufacturer that I could find is Premier Mounts

CHris,

Why not just build a shelf on the wall and rest the projector on that? Whatever you do you need to make sure there is adequate space behind it for ventilation.

Chief does have a mount for the HD10K and DILA1080-MF1 - I got one from AV Science. Just ask Jason.

William

wm_avs6 (at) meier-phelps (dot) com (Note - new address! Please do not use AVS PM)
---
post #11 of 88 Old 07-02-2006, 08:27 PM

Quote:

CHris,

Why not just build a shelf on the wall and rest the projector on that? Whatever you do you need to make sure there is adequate space behind it for ventilation.

Chief does have a mount for the HD10K and DILA1080-MF1 - I got one from AV Science. Just ask Jason.

William

Mr. Phelps,

Yes, that was my original plan but I scratched that idea. I don't think it would look too good. Easiest way would be to install two shelf brackets and mount a piece of shelving/wood/mdf on it, then just mount the MF1 inversed. One small problem would be the strength of the shelf. As it would have to be fairly deep and wide and I think it would sag after a while. Perhaps you could give me some ideas. If it was a clean design, I wouldn't mind doing a DIY job. I just hope my metal studs aren't off center. I knew I should've gotten my ceiling drywalled instead but there was way too much work involved. I have a bunch of HVAC ducts going across my ceiling for 1st floor and basement systems and I would've had to rereoute all of it to the sides of the room. A bit too much work and $. It would've delayed the room for a good couple of weeks. My father just wanted to get it over with asap (there's a lot of other work being done, even though the house is brand new).

I'll check with Chief and give Jason a call. Their website didn't have it listed. Thanks again Mr. Phelps.

Best regards,
Chris

Excessive? Never.
post #12 of 88 Old 07-02-2006, 08:55 PM

Strangely, I can choose the aspect ratio's in Full-Bandwidth mode when I'm watching DVD's but not when I'm watching cable tv. Both are outputting 1080i through HDMI and to the MF processor through DVI. Wierd.

Excessive? Never.
post #13 of 88 Old 07-03-2006, 01:29 PM

Hi William

Thanks for your comments on the HD10KA. As soon as I saw it announced, it moved to the top of my list as a replacement for my existing JVC HX1.

Did you buy just the projector head, or do you have the JVC HD1K scaler as well?

You mention running the projector from your HTPC at 1080p/48Hz which is perfect for SD DVD's, but I will still have to input HD satellite and HD-DVD at 720p or 1080i so I assume I will need an external scaler, even if not the JVC version. As my upgrade is also part of a move to a constant height cinemascope screen, I will also need vertical scaling at 1080p to make the lens work.

How do you plan to cope with the none 1080p sources?

PJG

I have very simple tastes, I am always satisfied with the very best. (Oscar Wilde)
post #14 of 88 Old 07-03-2006, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steppen View Post

Hi William

Thanks for your comments on the HD10KA. As soon as I saw it announced, it moved to the top of my list as a replacement for my existing JVC HX1.

Did you buy just the projector head, or do you have the JVC HD1K scaler as well?

You mention running the projector from your HTPC at 1080p/48Hz which is perfect for SD DVD's, but I will still have to input HD satellite and HD-DVD at 720p or 1080i so I assume I will need an external scaler, even if not the JVC version. As my upgrade is also part of a move to a constant height cinemascope screen, I will also need vertical scaling at 1080p to make the lens work.

How do you plan to cope with the none 1080p sources?

PJG

I bought just the head unit and no scaler. It only has one input that excepts 1080p 48Hz, 50Hz, or 60Hz only. I have it hooked to my HTPC (DVD, Fusion HD, and lots of HD trailers) and use 48Hz (is perfect for all film not just DVD) for all film and 60Hz for all video. I plan to buy a (universal hopefully before year end) HD-DVD/Blu-ray ROM (or burner) drive. Not much for games but thinking about a X-Box 360 and it only outputs 1080i so at some point will probably be forced to buy a scaler. I'm also waiting on the next batch of Denon receivers to see if they have HDMI(1.3)/DVI to HDMI (not just analog to HDMI as now)scaling and DD True/DTS HD.

Tomorrow night I'm going to watch T2 WMV-HD and can't wait.
post #15 of 88 Old 07-04-2006, 12:34 PM

Hi

Thanks for the the information. I thought you had only bought the head. It is what I plan to do as by the end of the year, I should be able to build a new HTPC under Microsoft Vista that gives HD-DVD playback. Mine you, it is not yet clear if all the nice tools such as Powerstrip, ffdshow etc. will work in the new world of secure digital playback, but we can but hope.

In the mean time, I am reading posts on the scaler section as I still have the problem of the HD Satellite as there are no PC cards yet that will allow me to use my Premier HD smart card to watch the Worlds Cup in HD TV.

PJG

I have very simple tastes, I am always satisfied with the very best. (Oscar Wilde)
post #16 of 88 Old 07-07-2006, 04:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hey guys- How large a screen can you use with this PJ- I want to maximize my space and am looking into the screen research 140" wide CH screen(153" diag.)- Is this screen to big for this PJ or would it be ok- thanks,gary
post #17 of 88 Old 07-07-2006, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebop86 View Post

Hey guys- How large a screen can you use with this PJ- I want to maximize my space and am looking into the screen research 140" wide CH screen(153" diag.)- Is this screen to big for this PJ or would it be ok- thanks,gary

WOW that is a HUGE screen. I have a 116" wide Da-lite HP screen and it is very bright (even with some daylight light spill). At 700 lumens the HD10K is no light cannon but if you have total light control, your screen has over 1 gain (preferably HP), and using an anamorphic lens it should be sufficient.
post #18 of 88 Old 07-07-2006, 08:58 AM
wm
AVS Special Member

In my opinion you would need a pair of HD10K's for that size screen. Even with 1.3 gain screen you'd only have 10 foot lamberts, and that with a new lamp. With the SR screen you're looking at 7.5 foot lamberts.

---
post #19 of 88 Old 07-07-2006, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
hey guys- what is the largest screen I can go with for this PJ OR if I wanted to maximize the size what PJ would you rec. for this size screen- thanks for all the help- gary
post #20 of 88 Old 07-07-2006, 11:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 11
William, congrats on this fine new addition to your home theater.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #21 of 88 Old 07-07-2006, 01:07 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Petersen View Post

William, congrats on this fine new addition to your home theater.

Thanks Mark,

So far it looks fantastic. It still has to make a trip to William's for optimization. Something I'm not looking forward to especially with all the Ruby's lining up.
post #22 of 88 Old 07-07-2006, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

the SC even at 0.95 eats a lot of light indeed.
however a 1.4gain screen (if it's 1.4) gives back a lot of lumens, perceived, as it concentrates brigthness back to the audience, more than a 1.0 gain screen and a 1000ansi pj. this is really something that always stunned me. i recently saw monsters with 4000-6000ansi on 3-4meters 16/9 screens and wasnt at all impressed by the brigthness even in demo rooms that were almost closed. bottom line: 500-700ansi + 40% gain in a black room are well enough to give punchy images on a 120" 16/9 or 170" scope.
I had the HD10K for a few hrs some months ago for test and a 120" wide image in my 1.4 gain screen mperforated, in a 100% black room, had tremendous punch...

the HD10K can without problems light up a 171" scope screen (with an ISCO) providing the screen has a good gain and the room is black. the colors are extraordinary (superior to the VW100) and the contrast (tested with HD) was superb.
post #23 of 88 Old 07-11-2006, 07:00 AM

I bought a few weeks ago this projector. In my previous projector I was able to change the "tint" (=hue) of some movies, but in this projector that function is disable. Does anyone know why is it disable? And how to enable it?
Thanks
post #24 of 88 Old 07-11-2006, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Prats View Post

I bought a few weeks ago this projector. In my previous projector I was able to change the "tint" (=hue) of some movies, but in this projector that function is disable. Does anyone know why is it disable? And how to enable it?
Thanks

Correct me if I'm wrong William or Tom but just like the HD10K has no internal scaler it also has no internal signal processing so you can't adjust things like tint. You would need to do that with your scaler or HTPC.

Also you say it is disabled but there is no setting at all for tint in the menu.
post #25 of 88 Old 07-11-2006, 10:10 PM
wm
AVS Special Member

That is correct - adjustments such as Tint are expected to be done by an external processor, a feature I rather like.

---
post #26 of 88 Old 07-14-2006, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Noticed that the masking system is hardware instead of software. I guess this is because the HD10K doesn't do any signal processing. Wonder why JVC didn't offer a 2.35 masking setting? Also mine seems to be a little off on the right side. Not that it is anything I need or would use unless it did 2.35.
post #27 of 88 Old 07-14-2006, 09:23 PM

Quote:

That is correct - adjustments such as Tint are expected to be done by an external processor, a feature I rather like.

Yes you are right. The scaler that comes with the projector (in my case the LD-HD1KE) offers the possibitily in the picture control to change the HUE (=tint), but that option is disabled. Is there anyway to enable that option?

Thanks.
post #28 of 88 Old 07-25-2006, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

According to UPS my HD10K is now in the hands of the master. William, just go ahead and rake all those Ruby's off the shelf and on the floor to make room for mine. Just don't step on any of them while you are carrying my projector.
post #29 of 88 Old 08-01-2006, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

William is through with my HD10K and I should be in business by the weekend.. Here are the shading and color uniformity charts. How do they look? Also a quote from William Phelps

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Phelps View Post

...I can tell you it looks fabulous. I always watch 30 minutes or so of material I am very familiar with after I am done - what a great job I have!

post #30 of 88 Old 08-02-2006, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

William obviously does great work, but man, including your name within the program screens? It's right up there with capitalizing every use of "Optimized" (yes, I know it's a trade name).

Oh kay.

-Steve
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page