JVC HUGHES ILA 300 Series in my House! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 60 Old 07-03-2006, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello again everyone. I had a post on that was very actvie for about 1 year, but I went away for a while, and I guess its been removed for beeing inactve. So let me fill you in, and give you all an update.

What's a HUGHES JVC ILA?

Well its not a new technology, as a matter of fact its quite old. Im sure everyone knows about D-ILA, which is JVC's implemetation of LCOS. If you dont know what D-ILA and LCOS are, do some searching on it because its a great alternitve to LCD and even DLP projector technology. D-ILA is Digital-Image-Light-Amplilfication. ILA is the about 15 year technolgy that is the analog version.

Don't HUGHES make air craft? Why would they be in the projector buesiness?

Yes, and they are not any more, but 15 years ago the military needed to build flight simulator video projectors that where able to project high-res, extreemly bright, color images onto a dome. This tooks some amazing technology to pull off, and thats why HUGHES was involved. These are turelly military grade projectors.

Why would anyone want a 15 year projector is isint based on today's digital technology?

#1 - Extreemly high res, up to and beyond 1080p, no problem.
#2 - Extreemly bright, up to 12,000 lumens on the very high-end model.
#3 - Because they are now obsoleet, they are dirt cheep. ($500 - $2000 used)

WHAT? A 1080p full res projector at 6000 lumens for under $100,000???? Why dont I have one of these now, why did it go out of production, whats the catch?

Sadly, there are indeed a lot of catch's on doing something like this for home use.
First and formost is the size of the unit. Its about the same size as your average snow-mobile. It weights in at just under 400 pound.

Next is the venting - My unit at full power prodcues about 16,000 BTUS of heat, and that heat if not properly vented will cause issues with the reliablity.

Next is the power requirements - 240 vots, signal phase (comptable with home power) but draws in at beween 25 amps on the low site, and up to 35 amps on the high side. This is an extreem amount of power draw for anything in a residential envirement.

Next is finding parts, including the very exotic and rather dangers xenon arc lamp.

Finialy, and this cant be understated enough, is the VERY VERY VERY difficult calibration procedure that takes 100's of hours to tweeking to get it just right.

OK, how in the world can you get 1080p at 6000 or more lumens, how dose it work?

This technology is a cross between an old CRT 3 gun projector and a LCD projetor using a white light souce to drive the output.

CRT projectors offer two huge advantages over today's bulb based projectors, and they are HIGH RES, and unbeatable BLACK LEVEL. But CRT's have a HUGH dissadvantage over todays projectors and that is brightness sucks. A really good CRT unit might be able to do 700 lumens, and if you have the room, you could stack two or more of them up, and get maybe 2000 lumens from CRT projectors all showign the same picture. But in order to get any brightness out of a CRT you have to drive the hell out of it, causing it to have a short life span. Also, if you drive it too far, you sacrafice foucus because and over-driven CRT gets blurry.

LCD/DLP projectors take a different approach to video projection. They using digital plates with pixels on then and shine bright red green and blue light thu the plates (lcd) or chips with tiny mirrors and shine the rgb lights onto the mirrors. The advantage to this apporach is that the light on the screen comes from a bulb, and thus only the brightness of the buld is the factor that control the lumens. Zero problems with focus, and no lenghy convergence issues as you would have with CRT systems. Most of us have this type of system active in our homes now.

The big problem with LCD/DLP is that up until just the past year or so, most of them are 4:3 native. When you put them into 16:9 your loosing about 1/3rd of you total number of lines avaible to make up the screen. If your lucky enough to have a 16:9 native DLP system you dont have this probelm. The other thing I noticed is that almost all of these are 720p units, and a lot of those unit wont do the ture 1280x720. If you want 1920 x 1080---there are like only a few choices, and they are all extreemly big bucks. ($15000 - $30000---and most of those units run under 1000 total lumens!!! ACK!!)

What if it would be possible to take all of the full-res of a CRT projetor, and combine it with the full brighness of today's digital projectors. Well, thats exacly what this unit dose.

How??

There are two magic parts to this technolgy. Sadly, they where both VERY VERY expesnive to manufacture, as a matter of fact the 6000 lumen unit I have in my house cost $160,000 new. The main reason the price is so high is because of the two magic parts.

#1 - The ILA.
#2 - The Prismatic polorized beam splitter.

The ILA is a crytal plate that has only two wires on it. (unlike the D-ILA plates that have millions of pixels, the analog ila plate has no pixes (and thus no screen-door effect---AT ALL, even D-ILA's have a screen door effect, but you have to be sittign right at the screen to see it).

This crystal plate has two sides, and front side and a back side. The back sides is dark, and obsorbes photons. The other side is a mirror, reflectiing back 100% of the photons that hit it. What makes this part magic is that for every photn on the back(dark) side of the plate, the reflected mirror side will horizontially polarize the refelected light, dependig on the birghtness of the photon on the back side, will determin how much horizonal polarization the reflected light gets polarized.

The prism is a three port device. There is an source input port on the top, that very bright green light, or red light, or blue light shines down. (three are 3 seperate primis, one for each RGandB). There is an IN/OUT port.
At this point, 100% of the bright green light flows from in IN port at the top, and flows OUT the in/out port. This is shined onto the mirror side of the ILA.
Since its a mirror, 100% of this bight green light is reflective back INTO the in/out port, and if any of this refelected light happes to be polorized horitontally, its allowed to pass to the OUTPUT port---where its passed thru the projection lense onto the screen.

I know this is hard to visulaize, but the CRT for GREEN has a full res picture (low brightness---remember the CRT dose not project light onto the screnn) of what is to be GREEN on the screen, and this picture is shown onto the black side of the ila.

Bright green light is shown down the prism, shot out to the ila, and is modulated horizontally based on picture of whats on the back of the ila plate. All the bright green light is reflected back into the in/out port, some of it polarized, some of it not---only the polorized stuff (determined by the green crt) gets passed thru.

While all this is happening for green, its also happening for red and blue on seperate crts, ilas, and prisms.

OK, sounds complex, witha all that going on, what kinda picture quality dose this thing acutally do?

If its done right, simply put, its the very best projected picture I'v ever seen any place any where anytime.

Black level and contrast ratio are not as good as the $50,000 units, comming in at a max of 1200:1 (if your extreemly lucky), but even at 200:1 when your talking about peek white levels over 5000 ansi lumens, its still just an amazing picture.

Keep in mind this model is designd for a 50 FOOT screen size. Im doing about 15 foot, and so its acutally way TOO bright for my envirmonet, but you can control that at the lamp power suply.

How much dose a replacement bulb cost, how long do you get out of it?

The retail price was $15,000 for the bulb in its housing, youd send it to JVC and they would relamp it for you. At full power the buld will be at 80% of full brightness at 1000 hours of burn time. My bulb is a 3000 watt xenon arc lamp.
Im only running at about 1000 watts due to the smaller screen size. (smaller then 50 feet!!). My run time should be much longer.

JVC no longer supports this model, but luckly there is a company in Maryland that can provide not only re-lamping, but support and all parts. Relamping a 360 unit thru him will be much less. He gives quotes if your in need.

Can you hook up HDTV, DVD, Tivo and other home electronics to it?

Video/Svideo ports are provided, but only support SDTV at 480i. There is no built in scaler at all, so you will turelly get 480i lines, and fully see scan-lines. If your going to use NTSC video, dont even bother with this projector, as it will look horrid.

HDTV/COMPUTER inputs are done thru its 5 bnc connectors for R G B H V.
Computer is easy, just get a DB15 vga break-out cable and hook it up and go.
HDTV via Y Pb Pr is much tuffer as you will need an out-board scaler, and youll need one the supports HDTV at 1080i or 1080p. I use a lumagen 1080i for now.
The 1080p unit is very expensive.

=====

Update

Iv spent the better part of 1 year in my free time tweeking this thing. Its a major job and requires high amount of dedication. But the results are stunning. Its been way worht the efforts. Im flying in Leo Bassett from Electronic Cimema Service in Maryland this weekend to show off my work to the master. Im also purcahsing from him a set of high contrast ila plates that should push my contast ratio to over 1000:1.

I aborted on the "under ground projection room" project, after consulting with some friends, we found a much simpler mounting solution.

======

Web site with screen shots

http://bbs.flagnet.org
http://67.177.183.215

link 1:

boards
boards2

This a picture of the circut board card cage. There are 4 boards.
horiz deflective board
vert deflective board
system controller board (mother board)
raster timing generator board.

box

This is a picture of me sitting on the large box the unit came in. I got my uint on ebay for $1000 as is. Its a D360 unit. Dont see many 360/370 units on ebay, but most people would rather want a 340 for home use anyways, the 360 is way to bright for home use. I got it because it was a good deal.

burnt-chip ila light valve

This is a photo of a light valve assy. Also for fun, a picture of a corn chip that held in front of the main arc lamp output before its split into red green and blue. The corn chip was cooked in a matter of 1 second at 3000 watts at full power when exposed to the light beem.

computer

This is just a picutre of my computer I used to control the thing. It has a VT100 RS232 port on it.

crt-hdnet

This is a picutre of the internal CRT for the blue. It looks red because all the CRT's light controls the ila, no color (including green blue or red) comes from the crt, only a red/infrared represntation of what is to be shown in blue is visitable hear as red photons. did the make sence??

crt-necks

This is picture of the backs of the crts with the card cage open.

crt-on

This a nice pic of the three crts running. Again, they all look red to you and me.

front mirrors

This is a pic of the front of the unit with the lid off. Notice the three mirrors that down-shoot very bright red green and blue light into the input port of the prisms. (the prisms are under the mirrors and really cant be seen in this photo)

hdnet-color bar

This is a very early on screen shot of hdtv video. It way better then this now.

hdnet-girl

Also a very elary on screen shot. Way better now.

hdnet-overscan

Same.

liteon liteon2

Very cool pictures of the lid off with the unit running.

mainboard

crappy pciture of the main system control board.

on-floor

This is a great pic of the actuall unit with me stepping ontop of it to show releive size. Im 5`9 at 220 pounds.

onan-transfer-switch

This is not part of the projector, but its where I tapped off the 240volt 50 amp cicruit to power the unit.

plug plug2

A photo of the acutally plug.

smokepuff

Look right above the green center mirror and you will see a small puff of smoke, this is my frying the corn chip.

+++++++++++++++++

2nd link on the page...

These are all screen shots of acutal video.

gtbunny gtbunny+carey

These are the latest pix, just a few days old. Sadly they are only 640x480, but still give a good idea of how good this thing is doing.

Please please please post your commnets/questions.

ctfm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 07-03-2006, 02:48 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
ctreesh

David just did a large purge to help keep the forum up to speed. The stuff he removed will go into the archives. It should be available with in the next week. Performing a simple search will find it once its ready.

Thanks!!
post #3 of 60 Old 07-03-2006, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 50
You may want to contact Scott (tse) about the light valves. He was working on and designing these things back in the 90's.

Ericglo

Call AVS For the Best Deals!!!

My new favorite game is Stop the Bots
post #4 of 60 Old 07-04-2006, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Great to see you enjoying your ILA, Ctreesh.

It was a wonderful, and truely insane technology.
post #5 of 60 Old 07-05-2006, 07:33 AM
Advanced Member

So out of curiosity......what does contrast look loke on this puppy....Do you have any kind of number to share with us???
post #6 of 60 Old 07-05-2006, 07:57 AM - Thread Starter

The D360 unit came with 'nomral contrast ila's'. They are about 200:1.
I upgraded by putting "quater wave plates" onto my cheep ila's and this proabaly pushed it to 500:1 or so.

This weekend, Im getting real "SC" (super contrast) ILA's and that should push it to over 1000:1.

But even at 200:1, with extreem brightness it looks really sweet. Dark sceens are effected by background light spillage tho. Im afraid it will never be as good as a real CRT projector.

Carey
post #7 of 60 Old 07-05-2006, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

If you happen to visist the web site and view some/all pix, please post a quick reply here. I'd like to track the interest level in this project, if its high enough I will re-do the website and make it more professional, but if its just a few people, I will proably leave it alone.

Carey
post #8 of 60 Old 07-05-2006, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Congrats on your setup.

I take it you're single.
No woman would put up with that. lol!

Next projector will have LEDs, >=1080 res, >=10 bit color, >14bit CR, >9 bit ANSI CR, >=120Hz, >16ft.L on 12ft 2.35:1 screen, <$12bit price

My 1st line array design

My ongoing Line Array Design
post #9 of 60 Old 07-05-2006, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

post #10 of 60 Old 07-22-2006, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Im extreemly happy to share with everyone that the projector is now done and complete, and Im very happy with the way things came out. Its been just over 1 year of work, but the results are amazing, just as I hoped they would be.

The latest updates are that I was able to get Leo Bassett to fly into town and pay me a visit. Durring his visit he gave me an offical training on the unit---he used to teach class's at JVC and trained the other techs on these procedures.

When he discvoerd how far I had gotten with the unit, and how close I was to having a good picture out of it, plus when he found out one the main reasons I have this unit in my house is because I work with kids, giving them a safe place to be off the streets, to come over and watch movies and stuff, he acutally GAVE ME a set of used, slightly burnned in, Cinema Grade high speed light valves. The burn-in shaded right out during the shading process, so you cant see it at all. The high speed means there is no noticable lag on moving objects, and the Cinema grade give them a very nice contrast ratio and good blacks.

Using his Colormeter, we set up the Sensitivity controls to get a perfect 6500 kelvin white. Then we set up the Threshold controls to get a perfect 6500 kelvin.
This is not easy, since each one effects the other one, and you have to adjust R G and B Sen and Thresh to get that. This took a few hours to get it perfect.

We did a good cleaning, removing all the dust off all the parts, and found a few coils and pots on the analog boards that needed tweeked to get a perfect pin and key ballence. We then did a prefect convergence.

Foucus was something I was doing completely wrong from the start. In the manual, it says to look for "spacer balls" on the screeen, and I thought these where the 10 or 15 black dots that would show up----NOPE!!! Spacerballs are more like the 10 or 15 THOUSAND tiny tiny tiny little specs of black that are all over the screen. The foucs of these tiny speces are touchy, and this takes time to get it just right. You gotta do it for R G and B.

Foucus part 2 is to project a 480i image so you can see the scan lines. Then adjust the focus rods for each CRT. There are 3 focus rods for each CRT. The idea is to get the face of the tube to be perectly flat with the face of the light valve input side. This takes a few hours to get it done right.

Focus part 3 is to fine tune it even more with the pots on the high voltage power supply. A turn of just 1 milimeter makes a huge differecne on this 360 model. The other models have 10-turn pots that makes this job alot easier and more accurate, sadly, I got a 360, so it was very very touchy and tuff.

With convergecne down, and focus done, 20% threshold color ballence and 80% sensivitiy ballence all complete, it was time to do the shading.

We used his main board and camra. The auto shade camra is am amazing tool. But it was only a prototype at best, so its kinda buggy. One thing that is interesting is that the camra (ccd) needs to warm up for 20 mins or so, BUT it should not be mounted in its mount-point. If you do, it will get TOO HOT, and that messes things up even more.

Leo had a hand-built a cool tri-pod type thing that he puts his camra unit onto.

Shading went prefect for all three colors.

(For those of you who dont know what shading is, see my other post, but I can tell you that if you dont do shading right, the effect it has is just like taking a magnet to a color TV set with a nomral picture tube in it. You will get a rainbow effect that uauly requires a de-gaus to fix it.)

Poor shading has nothing to do with a magicntic field. Its a result of the light valves not beeing completely prefect across the suface of the valve. If the red left corner is a bit darker then the center, then the red left corrner of the red CRT needs to be brighter to compensate for this----this projector lets you adjust brightness (threshold) and contrast(sensitivity) at 1024 differenct spots on the R G and B crts.

To do this by hand would be 1024 spots x 3(r g and b) = 3072 spots, 3072 x 2 (contrast and brighness of each spot) = 6144 adjustments needed. And as if this was not bad enough, each adjustment effects the other one,so you need to go back and forth over and over to get it just right.

The auto shade camra is a must!!!

With shading now done, the picture it makes is spectacular, but we we can do even better yet!!

Next step was to run the auto-setup tool. This uses the camra unit, plus a technician installed fiberoptic feedback cable, and has a built in software program that we plug figures into---figures like contrast ratio, and valve effecincey, and the projector acutally re-does all of the 100's of settings---trying and testing each one, making adjustmetns as needed, to achive the desired values.

This is great, but sadly, very very very few main boards actually had the right firmware, and debugged hardware to support this thing.

So, Leo has one known good board, and puts it into my projector and we start plugging in numbers. It would be cool if we could just tell my projector to run at 100% effincency and do 1000:1 contrast ratio. So we did.

What happens next is the program (on our vt 100 terminal screen) tells us to hook up the fiber optic cable to the blue output, and feed directly into the camra. Then it starts to adjust the blue settings for Bias, Threshold, Sensitivy, and CRT G2 (high voltage) settings {it tells us what the target value is, we turn the pot}.
It gose thru this over and over again trying to make our goal (100% and 1000:1). After about 20 mins it fails.

So, we try again, this time we try 99%. Fails.
50% pass--but we want higher, so we try 90 %...

You get the idea, we plug in as high a number as we think the unit will pass at, and keep trying as it fails try a little less each time---each 20 min time!!

After hours of trying, we finialy ended up with 85% eff with a 550:1 contrast ratio.

This is for BLUE only! ACK!!

But the good news is that blue is the worst of the three valves, and chances are if it worked for blue, it WILL work for G and R too.......and it did!

When autosetup was done, it had come up with numbers for Thresh and Sen and Bias that where close to ours, but these number should give even better results then our hand-picked-eye-ball'ed figures.

And they did.

The results speak for themself.

Leo said the only projected video pictures that are better then mine would be from his own equipment, and a few extreemly high end clienet (like NASA). He said my projector as it sits right now is in his opnion in the top 10 of all video projectors.

I dont know if thats ture or not, but its the very best video I have ever seen from a projector. I'd describe it as nearlly as good as my 21inch 1600x1200 4:3 computer monitor, but way bigger picture (8 feet wide 16x9), higher res (1920 x 1080i), CRAZZY BRIGHT (70 foot candels per his meter---I think thats right).
Black level is no were near as good as a ture CRT or CRT projector, but still is not bad.

Note on Leo: Leo saved me on this project. I never would have been able to do this without him. His donation of parts, tech support, and most of all his trip to my home are something I will always be in indebted to him for. If I where one of his nomral clients who had a 360 that needed a full calibration and upgrade to cinema valves (even used valves) this would have cost me $20,000 in parts and labor. His donation of time and parts WILL make a differecne for the youth of my city and he deserves full public credit for his efforts! Thanks Leo.

See for yourself. check the new 3rd link up today at :

am-dad-flag - Fox's American Dad cartoon in hdtv. 720p.
audiomix - Discovery HD tv show caled "Home Theator Revolution" 1080i
pool - same show, pic of an outdoor pool 1080i
tvroom - same show, pic of his oringal tv set room before the makeover. 1080i
carshow - Discovery HD tv speical "Ultimate car show" 1080i
disney* - pictures from Discovery HD tv show "Undiscoveryed walt disney" 1080i
done - not a screen shot--projector running in its new home.
dreamworks - blue baloons dreamworks logo with me next to screen 1080i
dust* - not a screen shot - pictures of the cones of light comming from the unit.
hicks - Fox's american idol Taylor Hix 720p.
idol3 - Fox's American Idol 720p
madi* - screen shots of DirectTV PPV Madigascar (1080i I think).
sre* - Discovery HD's tv show "Sun Rise Earth" Myan Temple eipsode 1080i.

* - Indicates multipal photo's of this show.

Again, any questions or comments, please reply!
The more feedback I see on here, the less insane I feel for doing this!

And yes, Im very very single.

Carey
post #11 of 60 Old 07-22-2006, 02:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Carey

Ive always shared an interest in these machines. If I had more room and a larger screen Id opt for one of these. Considering what they originally cost they are available relatively cheap and look like a CRT on steroids.
Pictures look great. Thanks for keeping us up to date through your journey with the ILA. I do not understand why more people do not consider one of these for a large screen.
post #12 of 60 Old 07-22-2006, 03:30 PM
AVS Club Gold

Great going Carey and stay single.

"Shading" technique reviled (sorta)

CRT > ILA ..ILA to CRT. I don't get it ?

EDIT: OK, I should read threads from the top down. Got it.
post #13 of 60 Old 07-22-2006, 03:36 PM

Wow. I so wish I had the resources to replicate your setup.

Talk about some serious energy and DIY dedication. Now when you watch your incredible picture you can take pleasure in having contributed to making it possible. Very cool, though the level of "tweaking" seems just a tad deeper than adjusting levels on a digital projector like my AE900 .

Do you know how often you will readjust/refocus? Do you have thoughts on whether this display technology is going to gain in popularity? You comments on the firmware/hardware revisions lead me to think that the setup process could become much more automated and automagically hardware assisted if the manufacturers were interested in pursuing that.

Enjoy your beautiful setup.

-brian
post #14 of 60 Old 07-22-2006, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Sadly, the technlolgy is dead. The main reason is becasue of the high costs of manufacturing the crazzy optics needed to make this system work. The ila plates where $16,000 each (you need 3) and the prismis where close to $10,000 (you need three), man, even the 3 projector lense set was $10,000 for non-zoom fixed lense.

The amount of work it takes to properly calibarte one is also a big set back. With the right traning, and all the right equipment it still took us almost 15 hours.

Power consumption is insane too.

As for why people dont do what I have done, well shipping alone will be between $330 and $1000 depending on where you needs to go. Finding parts is tuff, without Leo, I would be dead in the water with this thing.

Leo wont just help any bozo who buys one of these on ebay, he will make you work your tail off and prove to him your worhty of his time and effort. He tells me most of the people who buy these on ebay end up giving up and junking then---or selling the valubale parts to Leo and junking the rest.

There is NOTHING easy about this project.

To pump HDTV into this thing you need a $300 adapter for a cheap one, or a $1900 scaler for a good one. (mine ins a middle of the road $700 one).

As for re-tweeking, focus and convergence should not be a problem so long as the unit is ever moved. Color ballence will fade at about the same rate as a nomral CRT televions's CRT burns out.

I may be wrong on that, w'll have to see where it at a year from now.

Its lasted 2 weeks so far an still pumps out a stunning picture.

Carey
post #15 of 60 Old 07-23-2006, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Carey, fantastic thread.

I had a chance to see a Hughes projector like yours at a trade show years ago, what an unbelievable picture. They were only showing a very slowly moving nature shot, then later on with different material the image lag of this particular model became apparent. I guess that unit didn't have the high-speed ILA devices.

Was this technology a direct descendant of the old oil-film-reflective stuff, or the GE Talaria?

BTW, here's the other thread, from the archives:

http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...d.php?t=560000
post #16 of 60 Old 07-23-2006, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Carey,

Your posts brought back a lot of memories. I had two of these beasts over the years as my main projector. I spent countless hours calibrating, even after I had the auto setup tool. The ILA finally wore me out. The ratio of calibrating to actually viewing movies was very poor. Leo is a great guy. You may have even gotten some of my old digital cinema parts.
post #17 of 60 Old 07-24-2006, 03:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations. Now go and enjoy your picture!
post #18 of 60 Old 07-26-2006, 09:30 PM - Thread Starter

I dont know very much about the oil-based video system (eldorphor I think?), but it has kinda the same idea, but gose at it a completely different way. I do think that the GE system was also based on "analog light valve" technology. I have found very little info on the GE systems, and have no clue where to get support for them, or how they compare to the HJT (hughes/jvc technology) in terms of preformance.

My HDTV stuff looks amazing on the system. My DVD stuff is ok, but this unit is so high end now that its shoing the short-commings of my DVD player.

Im consdering getting a DVD player off ebay that has the SDI interface on it and getting the SDI card for my Lumagen scaler. Total price will be more then I paid for the projector, but I think it will proabaly be wroth it for movies on dvd to really shine.

Carey
post #19 of 60 Old 02-22-2007, 08:58 AM

This is SO cool... I've had my nose to the corporate grindstone for so many years I was completely unaware that anyone would stick a big ILA projector in their home. I've been doing visual systems for flight simulation for many (MANY) years and I've been lucky to have seen so many different technologies. The ILA is still pretty dang cool. The GE Talaria was a lot of "fun" too. Many hours spent tuning those flat fields, oh yeah!
post #20 of 60 Old 02-22-2007, 08:24 PM - Thread Starter

Been a while since I gave an update on this project---Iv been watching a lot of stuff on it.

I have been able to save my pennys and got myself some new video hardware to feed my monster.

First and formost, I got a ture 1080p scaler with HDMI and SDI (not hd) inputs. I got a good deal on a brand new DVDO iScan VP50. This really rocks. I set the output on this thing to RGBHV, and scale everything to 1920x1080p/60. Thats the highest output res this scaler will do. My JVC 360 loves it.

Next I got a deal on a used Denon DVD player equipped with SDI video output.

My DVD's are feed to the scaler as SDI, and scaled to 1080p RGB, and have never looked so good.

StarWar Ep 2 Attack of the Clones.....TOTALLY AMAZING, it was so good I could hardly tell it was upscalled, it looked like ture HDTV!

My HD Tivo from DirectTV got a good PQ boost when I hooked it up with HDMI. I did have to tell my VP50 to disable the HDCP on the HDMI port---otherwise hdcp kicks in, and that prevents my VP50 from outputting RGBHV from an HDMI source.
I got very lucky in that my HD-Tivo plays nice with my VP50 with HDCP turnned off.

Its been my observation that this is the ONLY HDMI device that works just find with or without hdcp.

I got a Sony PS3 to play with, and I was not so lucky. The HDMI port on that requires hdcp to be on to make any video outout. But with hdcp on, the VP50 kills off the RGBHV. The only fix I could find for this was to beg for a hdcp stripper---something that very hard to find these days. I did find one, and it works well.

PS3 games in 1080p on my projector---killer.
BluRay movies in 1080p native into the VP50 and out as RGBHV----killer.

The PS3 is not mine, and I will be retruing it to my friend---Im thinking about going with the LG BH-100. since it can do BluRay and HD-DVD. Wtih my stripper, life should be sweet for video. Audio will go Analog 5.1 out, and I will use the built in HD-Audio decoders in the unit to get the new audio formats.

I just have to make sure my VP50 will take 1080p/24 since thats the only 1080p that thing will output.

More 1080p photos will be put up on the web site once I get some ture 1080p content going on that screen.
post #21 of 60 Old 02-23-2007, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

This is quite cool!!!!

Couple of questions:

What is your estimated cost per hour to run this thing?

How much cash do you think you have invested in it so far?

I love these crazy huge projects!

-- Well I have really blown my budget now. --
post #22 of 60 Old 11-14-2007, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Wow,

Been a while since I have been back an re-visited this post. I just got the Blu-Ray DVD of Cars, and let me tell you guys, that is the BEST DEMO DISC you can get to date...go get it NOW if you have a blu ray player. Truly amazing video quality.

Not too much new has happened since I added the the VP50.

My setup now looks like this...

HD-Tivo (orignal Hr10-250) with hdmi out.
Dvhs Jvc VCR 1080i via Y Pb Pr out. (d-theator tapes look real good!)
Denon 3190 with SDI. (amazing dvd player)
LG BH-100 HD-DVD/Blu Ray player. (sweet video at 1080p/24)
DVDO VP50

I will get some 1080p photos up on the web site soon. I have been waiting to find the perfect demo to use, and CARS WINS!!

I have about $5000 into the projector and VP50. This also includes some spare parts for the best.

My power bill is about $130.00 per month on the budget plan, normal power bills for people in this area are about $25 - $50 per month.

Was it worth it?

Y E S !!
post #23 of 60 Old 11-14-2007, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I know a woman who lives with 12 pit bulls. I don't understand her and I do not understand your interest in obsolete, ridiculously costly, and inefficient technology. Some people watch women's golf on TV. I don't understand that either. Oh well.

IB
post #24 of 60 Old 11-15-2007, 05:53 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
I know someone whose biggest and most challenging technological project for years has been having to "turn his indoor antenna around".

I don't understand that at all.
Oh, well.
post #25 of 60 Old 11-15-2007, 07:08 AM - Thread Starter

My reasons where theses..

1080p full widescreen projector.
6000+ lumens
no pixels at all.
$1000.00 used.

It took a hell of a lot work, but the picture out of this is far better then anything I have seen any place else. Even the HD-projections at the Pepsi Center (large venue DPL units that cost upwards $50,000 each).
post #26 of 60 Old 11-15-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
At 6,000+ lumens do you have a 20-30 foot screen?
How close do you sit?
What's the contrast ratio of the projector?
Do you have 60 lumen blacks?

Congrats on your adventurous spirit, you must be single...
At least you won't need heating during the Indiana winters...

Next projector will have LEDs, >=1080 res, >=10 bit color, >14bit CR, >9 bit ANSI CR, >=120Hz, >16ft.L on 12ft 2.35:1 screen, <$12bit price

My 1st line array design

My ongoing Line Array Design
post #27 of 60 Old 11-15-2007, 09:27 AM
AVS Club Gold

I for one commend ctreesh for toying around with one of these monsters. I'd like to see the screenshots when they are ready. I don't think he needs to justify his reasons for doing so to anyone on the forum. Most of the people here on AVS are all about overkill anyway. In fact, most of my neighbors think I'm nuts for having a dedicated HT with an RS-1
post #28 of 60 Old 11-15-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

I have and 8 foot screen at the moment, 16 x 9. Its a hung of wall panneling, painted white. This room is also used for a full-contact sport. A real screen would get ripped or damaged.

I have the bulb current set to about 75 amps, thus limits the output to about 2000 watts. This results in about 63 ft-lamberts at peek white across the 8 foot screen. (Still way to bright for the size, but if I drop much under this, the 3000 watt bulb will run less stable and result in flicker---besides, I love it bright).

The measured contrast ratio is about 550:1, I will be getting my hands on some higher grade optical beam splittes, that should at least double the CR. It will never beet a true CRT for CR or black level, but I don't dont think I will ever be able to purchase a projector that can do 1920x1080p native widescreen that will do over 2000 lumens for less then $10,000 EVER. Much less one that will do over 6000.

My room is too small for an 8 foot screen, as I can only sit about 15 feet back from it at max. But at 1080p, I see zero artifacts. Scaled SDTV looks pretty bad on it however.

720p scaled to 1080p is great.
1080i to 1080p is greater.
1080p/24 to 1080p/60 is stunning.
CARS on blu ray was by far the best video I have EVER seen in my life on this or any system.

I hope to have screen shots of CARS on line for you too look at on my white-painted screen. (Dutch-Boy Flat White). You will seen them in the 1080p part of the site. I hope to have them on line by this Sunday.

I will make a post when they are up.

If you want to see the current shots, the active web site is:

Carey
post #29 of 60 Old 11-15-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Intresting thread but that thing is HUGH!!!! and would definitely cut down on seating space.

KJ
post #30 of 60 Old 11-16-2007, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Grrr...

I took 20 shots tonight of cars from blu ray in 1080p over hdmi.
All 20 of these suck.

The brightness of the screen must have over-whelmed the camra. Almost all shots are blury, and the blue's are bloating, causing color errors. The real screen looks amazing, but these photos are horrid.

Im going to have them re-done with better settings on the camra.

Sorry for the delay, but this has to be done right, else you will get a very poor idea of the quality of this movie and this system.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page