post #271 of 387 Old 07-21-2009, 02:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmw View Post

Yes, but at 50% more than they were roughly 8 months ago...perhaps it's no wonder.

What he needs is some healthy competition.

If you go to this website - you can buy all you want!

Now which price is BETTER. The Lamp is a Perkin Elmer Cermax Xenon Arc lamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 387 Old 07-21-2009, 07:20 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry about that...Apparently my memory serves none too well without the facts in front of me. The truth of the matter is I paid 310, shipping included 11 months ago. Would have sworn an oath I paid around 220 shipped for the lamp. Reality is often in conflict with perception and to err is human. My apologies.

Life's a Beach,
or at least it was supposed to be.

My theater in my Wife's house.
DIYer Takes Over Home

post #273 of 387 Old 07-21-2009, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Sorry about that...Apparently my memory serves none too well without the facts in front of me. The truth of the matter is I paid 310, shipping included 11 months ago. Would have sworn an oath I paid around 220 shipped for the lamp. Reality is often in conflict with perception and to err is human. My apologies.

No Problem the eBay seller has a great price based on the
going price from the distributor.

I talked with Perkin Elmer today. The Y1899 part is a CUSTOM
Part number - Thank you Mr. Sony.
post #274 of 387 Old 07-22-2009, 05:46 AM

If so, any issues?
post #275 of 387 Old 07-22-2009, 02:17 PM

Liked: 11
My understanding after reading a lot of these postings is that replacing the lamp does not fix the cricket sound.

To clarify they stated the pj is under warranty and not the bulb - 3 months. While I understand the bulb is a wear and tear item it should be at least prorated for the price of a new one. However, I don't think this is truly a wear and tear issue as the bulb works fine brightness wise.

Has the silver compound worked? Has Sony acknowledhed this?

Any ideas or help on how to get Sony to step up to the plate? Hate to think I wasted $60 to ship this to them for them to tell me I need to pay them $1000.
post #276 of 387 Old 07-22-2009, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken54321 View Post

Has the silver compound worked? .

According to Mr. Freewheeler it does

Sony will never acknowledge it. They do not repair anything.
They replace modules that plug and unplug.
post #277 of 387 Old 07-23-2009, 01:09 AM

Quote:

Has the silver compound worked?

My Ruby is still silent after watching about 200 hours since early June. I've had the Ruby on sometimes for 8 - 10 hours and the lamp temps are from 550 to 590, which is ok. Hope it works for everybody else too!
post #278 of 387 Old 07-23-2009, 06:42 PM

The Ruby still has some of the best color Ive seen from any projector. Alan said its the Xenon but what ever it is "Me Like"
post #279 of 387 Old 07-25-2009, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

post #280 of 387 Old 07-28-2009, 08:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Has the silver compound worked?

Yes and No.

I have two complete housings with heat sinks and lamps.

Lamp:

#1) has 510 hours on it and was chirping like the dickens. This lamp was purchased to replace lamp #2 that had 818 hours on it at the time it was replaced because of chirping. This lamp has the gray vinyl coating that encircles the juncture between the front and rear sections of the lamp.

#2) has 818 hours on it and was sitting idle until I was able to cheaply purchase a replacement housing with heat sinks only. This lamp has a hard paper divider between the front and rear sections of the lamp.

I purchased the Spire silver thermal compound and mounted lamp #2 in the replacement housing. Of note, the two part front heatsink assembly fit Very tightly over the front of the lamp. Finished reassembly of the heat sink and housing and tired it. Two hours later no chirping, maybe what I thought was a slight fan whine, but otherwise silent, (could be the lamp singing).

With lamp #1 removed from the projector, I dissassembled the lamp and heatsink assembly, cleaned the lamp and heatsinks and reassembled using the Spire thermal grease. I noticed that the front heatsink assembly on this unit was still relatively loose. I removed the retaining clips and lightly crimped them to increase their clamping preasure. This helped but the front heatsink assembly still did not feel as solid as on the previous unit although it seated squarely on the front of the lamp. I reassembled the unit and reinstalled it in the projector. This unit was silent for the first 30 minutes then started chirping...lightly at first then grew in intensity. I left this unit in the projector. Each subsequent time I started the projector, this unit took less and less time to start chirping. It now starts silently but begins chirping from 5 to 10 minutes after I turn the projector on. Relative to before the application of the Spire thermal grease, the chirping is about half as loud.

Life's a Beach,

DIYer Takes Over Home

post #281 of 387 Old 07-28-2009, 08:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes and No.

I have two complete housings with heat sinks and lamps.

Lamp:

#1) has 510 hours on it and was chirping like the dickens. This lamp was purchased to replace lamp #2 that had 818 hours on it at the time it was replaced because of chirping. This lamp has the gray vinyl coating that encircles the juncture between the front and rear sections of the lamp.

#2) has 818 hours on it and was sitting idle until I was able to cheaply purchase a replacement housing with heat sinks only. This lamp has a hard paper divider between the front and rear sections of the lamp.

I purchased the Spire silver thermal compound and mounted lamp #2 in the replacement housing. Of note, the two part front heatsink assembly fit Very tightly over the front of the lamp. Finished reassembly of the heat sink and housing and tired it. Two hours later no chirping, maybe what I thought was a slight fan whine, but otherwise silent, (could be the lamp singing).

With lamp #1 removed from the projector, I dissassembled the lamp and heatsink assembly, cleaned the lamp and heatsinks and reassembled using the Spire thermal grease. I noticed that the front heatsink assembly on this unit was still relatively loose. I removed the retaining clips and lightly crimped them to increase their clamping preasure. This helped but the front heatsink assembly still did not feel as solid as on the previous unit although it seated squarely on the front of the lamp. I reassembled the unit and reinstalled it in the projector. This unit was silent for the first 30 minutes then started chirping...lightly at first then grew in intensity. I left this unit in the projector. Each subsequent time I started the projector, this unit took less and less time to start chirping. It now starts silently but begins chirping from 5 to 10 minutes after I turn the projector on. Relative to before the application of the Spire thermal grease, the chirping is about half as loud.

All that sounds logical. If there is not a SOLID coupling
between the heat sink and the lamp - there is not much
the Thermal compound can do to transfer heat.
post #282 of 387 Old 07-28-2009, 09:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

All that sounds logical. If there is not a SOLID coupling
between the heat sink and the lamp - there is not much
the Thermal compound can do to transfer heat.

I realize that this is a difficult question to research as I do not think anyone has quantities of these things laying around to test but has anyone found a variance in the size of the lamp body (my two lamps appear to be either manufactured or assembled differently)? or perhaps in the machining of the heatsink parts?

I am inlcined to dissassemble both my units and switch the lamps.... but not yet. More to follow.

Life's a Beach,

DIYer Takes Over Home

post #283 of 387 Old 07-28-2009, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I realize that this is a difficult question to research as I do not think anyone has quantities of these things laying around to test but has anyone found a variance in the size of the lamp body (my two lamps appear to be either manufactured or assembled differently)? or perhaps in the machining of the heatsink parts?

I am inlcined to dissassemble both my units and switch the lamps.... but not yet. More to follow.

I only have one spare lamp housing assembly. It is the one
I took out of the PJ when the PJ said my lamp life was OVER.
I installed a whole NEW Lamp Assembly in the PJ. No Crickets.

I bought a replacement Perkin Elmer Xenon Bulb and installed
it in the 1st housing. It was a TIGHT fit. I used the Silver Compound.

I have not installed it for testing. Getting my PJ up and Down is
not something I care to do more than EVERY OTHER YEAR

It would not surprise me to see some Heat Sink Machining
tolerances cause a variance. The Perkin Elmer Lamp is a SPECIAL
for SONY as well. It could also have some small variances that
when combined with the heat sink could yield a slight looser fit.
post #284 of 387 Old 07-28-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:

This unit was silent for the first 30 minutes then started chirping...lightly at first then grew in intensity. I left this unit in the projector. Each subsequent time I started the projector, this unit took less and less time to start chirping. It now starts silently but begins chirping from 5 to 10 minutes after I turn the projector on. Relative to before the application of the Spire thermal grease, the chirping is about half as loud.

My silver greased lamp does the excact opposite. It chirps the first 5 minutes and is silent after that.
post #285 of 387 Old 07-28-2009, 10:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

drhankz,

sent you a PM...Cheers

Life's a Beach,

DIYer Takes Over Home

post #286 of 387 Old 07-29-2009, 07:27 PM

Does any one have a source for the lamp for the 700W lamp for the Qualia 004? Has anyone successfully replaced a lamp in an existing housing?
post #287 of 387 Old 08-09-2009, 04:40 PM

I have read through a few, sorry correction to many hours of forums with no avail. I have bought a new bulb with housing replaced it and have done the (reset < > enter) over 50 times. I have tried almost every way of doing it except standing on my head. This is my Third bulb. I reset my first bulb and got a ton of extra life out of it. My second bulb took reset within a few tries and would not reset for extra time at all, so i ordered a new bulb / housing ($900.00 Canadian)

So after that long winded history Help please i just build a new room its like a back abyss and i have only have a minute to watch anything.

I even got a few other people to try it (suggested on one post)

Sorry if this is the wrong post to put this up, it seemed the most relevant.

Cheers

Sean

Nooby in the house
post #288 of 387 Old 08-13-2009, 07:05 PM

Is the Qualia lamp model not the LMP-H700? I thought it was a 700 watt lamp and a lot brighter than the VW100 and VW200 lamps? I have seen a few Qualia pjs for sale and signifigantly less than the $30,000 price tag they use to have, but before I would buy the pj I would have to find a spare lamp for under 2500.00 British pounds was roughly the cheapest I could find. Here is what the Qualia lamp looks like. Quite a bit different than the Ruby and Saphire lamps. The Qualia is such a nice machine but the parts to maintain it is an absolute waste of money.
LL
post #289 of 387 Old 08-13-2009, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaytser View Post

Is the Qualia lamp model not the LMP-H700? I thought it was a 700 watt lamp and a lot brighter than the VW100 and VW200 lamps? I have seen a few Qualia pjs for sale and signifigantly less than the $30,000 price tag they use to have, but before I would buy the pj I would have to find a spare lamp for under 2500.00 British pounds was roughly the cheapest I could find. Here is what the Qualia lamp looks like. Quite a bit different than the Ruby and Saphire lamps. The Qualia is such a nice machine but the parts to maintain it is an absolute waste of money.

I'll probably get spanked - but the Qualia has seen its day.
At any price - I would pass on buying one.

I have two HIGH-END CRT PJs that cost me $75000 when they
were new in 1996. Today - I have to PAY SOMEONE to take them
out of my basement, and both of them are PERFECT. All Electronics
have they time in the sun - then they become land fill.
post #290 of 387 Old 08-14-2009, 08:32 PM

Did you not upgrade the CRTs to 1080p via hdmi? I have been looking into CRTs or possible a Sim2 HT300. Why you ask? Because they are affordable now and I believe they will give me more value for my buck. I think that the CRT route will give me plenty of picture quality for a far longer time than a digital as every projector I have owned have been utter crap. And I believe the Sim2 has a bulb that is rate for 6000 hours which is much better than these $5000 - $10,000 machine that get 1500 hours of use and have to be babied. The nice projectors of today are just too expensive for the amount of viewing time you can enjoy on them.

On the flip side I hate watching small TV's more. If I am going to invest $2500 to $5000 on a projector it had better be watched everyday, and not a $5000 42'' lcd TV, os what is a guy to do, just suck it up I guess.
post #291 of 387 Old 08-15-2009, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaytser View Post

Did you not upgrade the CRTs to 1080p via hdmi? I have been looking into CRTs or possible a Sim2 HT300. Why you ask? Because they are affordable now and I believe they will give me more value for my buck. I think that the CRT route will give me plenty of picture quality for a far longer time than a digital as every projector I have owned have been utter crap. And I believe the Sim2 has a bulb that is rate for 6000 hours which is much better than these $5000 - $10,000 machine that get 1500 hours of use and have to be babied. The nice projectors of today are just too expensive for the amount of viewing time you can enjoy on them.

On the flip side I hate watching small TV's more. If I am going to invest $2500 to $5000 on a projector it had better be watched everyday, and not a $5000 42'' lcd TV, os what is a guy to do, just suck it up I guess.

My PJ's where 1080i from 1996 on.

I did add an update to HDCP compatible HDMI input whenever the 1st
HD-DVD player was released - March 200x?

I'm not aware of any CRT that can actually do 1080p because of the
bandwidth issue. But 1080i and 1080p are the same number of pixels.
Since CRTs have a longer decay period than digital PJs - I doubt anyone
could see the difference between 1080i and 1080p, even if a CRT PJ
could do 1080p.

I was using my CRT PJs on a 156" screen. When I upgraded to a digital
PJ with 1080p - the big difference was the sharpness of the picture
because CRTs are softer due to the analog nature of them. Some prefer
that.
post #292 of 387 Old 08-17-2009, 09:08 AM

at least I hope it's a good price.... several hundred dollars less than the Japanese e-bay site...

At least its from the US and free shipping to boot...

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it.../sony-lmp-h400

Flavorguy
post #293 of 387 Old 08-18-2009, 03:10 AM

Still more than twice as expensive as the replacement Xenon lamp alone sold on eBay. Why do you need one with a full housing ?
post #294 of 387 Old 08-18-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeji View Post

Still more than twice as expensive as the replacement Xenon lamp alone sold on eBay. Why do you need one with a full housing ?

I guess convenience and not having to deal with cricket noises and the like...

Flavorguy
post #295 of 387 Old 08-19-2009, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorguy View Post

I guess convenience and not having to deal with cricket noises and the like...

Well, if you read this thread carefully you will see that most people with the "cricket noises" got them from standard full-housing LMP-H400 provided by Sony. The fix, on the other hand, supposes you disassemble the Xenon lamp to use a different thermal paste.
post #296 of 387 Old 02-06-2010, 01:32 PM

So after reading through all the posts I could find here, and doing a bit of research myself I am getting closer to finding the right bulb for the QUalia 004.

I am surprised no one actually listed the model number of the bulb, I just get links to expired websites or ebay listings.

Can someone please confirm...
Qualia 004 bulb is a Perkin elmer C type (Cermax) 700W Xenon bulb.
That leaves 4 options
PE700C-10F ... low UV and 1.0 focal distance
PE700C-10UV ... high UV and 1.0 focal distance
PE700C-13F ... low UV and 1.3 focal distance
PE700C-13UV ... high UV and 1.3 focal distance

I can guess the low UV makes more sense, but the focal distance I don't know. The bulbs are between $885 to 1200 list price so it is not something to just "try out"

Someone please help ...?

Still looking for a discount source as well...
post #297 of 387 Old 02-06-2010, 06:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nederlof View Post

So after reading through all the posts I could find here, and doing a bit of research myself I am getting closer to finding the right bulb for the QUalia 004.

I am surprised no one actually listed the model number of the bulb, I just get links to expired websites or ebay listings.

Can someone please confirm...
Qualia 004 bulb is a Perkin elmer C type (Cermax) 700W Xenon bulb.
That leaves 4 options
PE700C-10F ... low UV and 1.0 focal distance
PE700C-10UV ... high UV and 1.0 focal distance
PE700C-13F ... low UV and 1.3 focal distance
PE700C-13UV ... high UV and 1.3 focal distance

I can guess the low UV makes more sense, but the focal distance I don't know. The bulbs are between $885 to 1200 list price so it is not something to just "try out"

Someone please help ...?

Still looking for a discount source as well...

I'm not familiar with Qualia 004 bulb.

But when I tried the same exercise with my Ruby Lamp - I found
the Perkin Elmer Part number and Called Perkin Elmer to buy it.

The BAD NEWS is they obviously recognized the part number and
said that is a CUSTOM lamp we designed for Sony and we can only
sell that part number to SONY.

I'll bet the same applies to the Qualia 004 bulb.
post #298 of 387 Old 02-11-2010, 09:11 AM

I'm selling my Ruby and I checked out both my lamp modules that they work ok. They weren't chirping but the other one had serious powering up problems. Both lamps had had the silver grease treatment. I removed all the grease from the start up faulty lamp and voilá! It started up normal without extra clickings from the Ruby and there was no cricket sound! I removed all the grease from the other lamp and it works just fine. No grease on it at all.

Summa summarum: those lamps do not need any thermal grease.

All this past grease talk for nothing!!!
post #299 of 387 Old 02-11-2010, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freewheeler View Post

I'm selling my Ruby and I checked out both my lamp modules that they work ok. They weren't chirping but the other one had serious powering up problems. Both lamps had had the silver grease treatment. I removed all the grease from the start up faulty lamp and voilá! It started up normal without extra clickings from the Ruby and there was no cricket sound! I removed all the grease from the other lamp and it works just fine. No grease on it at all.

Summa summarum: those lamps do not need any thermal grease.

All this past grease talk for nothing!!!

Are you sure it is not the 50Hz issue versus 60Hz
post #300 of 387 Old 02-11-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

Are you sure it is not the 50Hz issue versus 60Hz

Hmmm... I'm not following...?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags